Everything that ever mattered in Zadar, since the medieval period, happened or was heard of on the People's Square. It is the centre of urban life, a source that sucks you in with its energy and beauty, and then leaves the people passing-by to some of the other urban sensations.
The People's Square in Zadar is the medieval Platea Magna, the centre of life and nowadays centre of town administration together with the City Loggia. From the People's square all the ways lead in all directions; to the Kalelarga, the Waterfront, the Five Wells Square or to the market and fish market. In The City Loggia on People's Square, that was built already in the 13th century, Zadar inhabitants have been gathering and have been discussing the most important city matters, while on the other side can be found the City Guard from the second half of the 16th century with a watch on a tower that has been in function incessantly since 1803. https://zadar.travel/attractions/attractions/peoples-square
Fortress Kamerlengo is situated at the west end of Trogir islet, built by Venetians in Xlll - XV century as a naval base for their navy forces in this part of Adriatic. It is named by town Magistrate Camerarius. Nowadays, the fortress is a multimedia centre with open-air cinema and stage for various cultural events. http://www.trogironline.com/virtual_guide/fortress_kamerlengo.html
The fort of Monkodonja is located about 5 km south-east of Rovinj, and was discovered in 1953 when the first excavations were carried out. Since 1997, detailed research and a partial architectural reconstruction of the site is being conducted.
The town, surrounded by walls, built with blocks of stone with the dry technique is located on a hill and its side terraces that are created with stones quarried and crushed from the hill to give space to the village. The casteliere was inhabited in the period from 2000 until 1200 BC. https://www.inforovinj.com/eng/rovinj/znamenje/monkodonja.asp
The Old Gate or the Roman Arch is not, as was assumed earlier, a Roman triumphal arch, but a monumental main entrance into the heart of the military headquarters of the late Roman empire Tarsatica, an ancient town on whose ruins medieval Rijeka rose. The people of Rijeka were right to trust their instincts and call it simply The Gate; the term Roman Arch became gradually more accepted from the time of Classicism when the documentation and the research of this monument began.
The profiled facade of the Arch has been preserved only in fragments, the other parts fell off a long time ago or have been taken away to be incorporated into the houses of medieval Rijeka. The Tarsatica Principia was the main camp, the supply base and the starting point of the Claustra Alpia Iuliarum, dozens of kilometres long intermittent defence walls, towers, guard stations, and larger fortifications positioned in key communication lines and elevated points, with the aim of stopping barbaric invasions towards Italy, the heart of the Roman Empire. http://www.visitrijeka.eu/What_To_See/Attractions/Principia_at_Tarsatica
The Croatian Walk of Fame project in Opatija was launched in 2005 by the Apriori Communications agency as a symbolic tribute to all the people whose sporting, scientific, cultural or artistic endeavours have contributed significantly to the worldwide promotion of Croatia.
Potential candidates for inclusion are nominated by the project's independent Nomination Board consisting of several noted public individuals. From the board's nominations, readers of the media sponsors then cast their vote to decide which two candidates (one living, one awarded posthumously) should have their stars included in the Croatian Walk of Fame. https://www.visitopatija.com/en/croatian-walk-of-fame-p484
House of Marco Polo – believed to be house in which Marco Polo, the famous world traveller and writer was born. It’s recently bought by Korcula’s Town Authority which is currently planning to reconstruct and redone it into the Museum of Marco Polo… At present, just the part of the house is opened for visitors to have a look around. Climb narrow stairs and enter to the Loggia that has great views over Korcula Old town’s roofs. https://www.korculainfo.com/marcopolohouse/
It stands between two, most probably medieval towers, of simple construction built of uncarved stone blocks. At the top of the damaged arch, although hardly recognizable, is a carving of the head of Hercules and his club. Close to the club is a damaged inscription, most interesting in the historical context since it contains the names of two Roman officials, Lucius Calpurnius Piso and Gaius Cassius Longinus to whom the Roman Senate had entrusted the duty to found a Roman colony at the site of today’s Pula. Thus, between 47 and 44 BC Pula was founded as a settlement with urban features. Since the upper circular street passed though this gate, the axis of communication was obliquely placed with respect to the direction of the city walls. https://www.pulainfo.hr/where/gate-of-hercules
A 1792 French Creole plantation house authentically restored with outbuildings and gardens covering 15 acres. This landmark is a unique southern Louisiana landmark because of its age, quality of restoration, and outstanding collections. Magnolia Mound's mission is to illustrate and interpret the lifestyle of the French Creoles through educational programs, workshops, lectures, festivals, and other special events. The property includes a historic museum house, an open-hearth kitchen, overseer's house, quarter house, crop garden pigeonnier and carriage house. https://www.visitbatonrouge.com/listing/magnolia-mound-plantation-a-brec-facility/244/
Wiston castle is a motte and bailey castle and was founded by a Flemish knight named Wizo; it is typical of Norman stonework of that period. The site was abandoned at the end of the 13th century. http://www.haverfordwest.org/wiston.html
Haverfordwest Priory was founded in 1200 on land donated by Robert Fitzancard, the Lord of Haverfordwest. Like many of the buildings from this era it was dissolved by Henry 8th and after passing through many owners is now under the care of Cadw.
Recent excavations of the site have uncovered Britain’s only surviving ecclesiastical garden from the medieval period. http://www.haverfordwest.org/priory.html
Exeter's Underground Passages were built to house the pipes that brought clean drinking water into medieval Exeter. A guided tour of Exeter's Underground Passages is a memorable event - narrow, dark, interesting and exciting. Visit the heritage centre before your guided tour, packed with interactive exhibits and interpretation.
These are the only passages of this kind open to the public in Britain!
These tours are likely to fill up quickly and are also subject to change at short notice. Pre-booking is advisable and during school holidays is essential to avoid disappointment. https://www.visitexeter.com/things-to-do/exeters-underground-passages-p134013
Discovery Walk is a series of plaques honouring the achievements of scientists, innovators and social reformers of the past who either came from or had a strong connection to Dundee.
The plaques are set into the pavements around Mary Slessor Gardens at the heart of Dundee's £1 billion Waterfront Redevelopment. There are currently nine plaques commemorating scientists, engineers, writers, artists, social reformers and philanthropists, plus a tenth plaque introducing the Walk. A crowdfunding campaign was launched in late 2016 to fund the addition of five further plaques. https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/discovery-walk-p1468851
This rectilinear enclosure of double banks and ditches has a complex and sometimes murky history. Its location on low-lying marshland led some to believe that it may once have been a medieval moated homestead, while excavations have uncovered medieval coins and Roman artefacts dating from the 3rd century.
However, it seems that these items were left by the settlement’s later occupants rather than its original builders, with investigations of similar sites elsewhere in Wales suggesting that Caer Lêb has Iron Age origins. https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/caer-leb#directions
Though all that remains of this Neolithic (New Stone Age) settlement is a single bank, excavations have revealed a site with a particularly long history. Its origins stretch back to a circular enclosure featuring a bank and external ditch built in the late Neolithic era or early Bronze Age. Originally thought to be a ceremonial henge monument, finds of pottery, post holes and flint and bronze tools are in fact those of a settlement.
The locals must have liked the place. Castell Bryn Gwyn was used far beyond the Neolithic period, with archaeological finds suggesting it was still inhabited as late as 1st-century Roman times. https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/castell-bryn-gwyn
Kylämäki Village in Kurala is made up of four farms with buildings still standing at their original sites. The village has been inhabited since the 7th century. Nowadays, Kurala is a village of living history where visitors can travel back in time to a typical Southwest Finnish farm of the 1950s, complete with authentic scents and rural atmosphere.
During summer in the Iso-Kohmo kitchen, oven-baked treats prepared to Grandma’s recipes are warming on the wood-burning stove. The farmer’s wife tells of everyday activities from the old days, whilst also giving handy tips on things such as making juice. http://www.visitturku.fi/en/kylamaki-village-of-living-history_
The limestone of the Picardy plateau was dug out in many places to form refuges. These refugees were called "muches" (hideouts in Picard language). Those in Naours, rediscovered at the end of the last century, are the largest known: all the underground areas combined can house around 2,600 people with their livestock. The layout is remarkable: around 300 chambers, public squares, stables, wells, chimneys, and a chapel with three naves. These underground areas were used by the British forces during the First World War and were used as the headquarters of the German forces during the second world war. Exhibitions of traditional trades.
In the park: games, 2 windmills from the 18th century. http://www.visit-amiens.com/tourinsoft/details/en_patrimoineculturel/PCUPIC0800010624/PCU
From the Alcazaba, descend in a northward direction through the Barranco de la Hoya, a line of wall that reaches San Cristobal Hill, built during the time of King Jairán (1012-1028) in the eleventh century. Here are the remnants of the neighbourhood “amurallamiento musalla”, which descends from the hill via the main street Antonio Vico.
On the hill, known in Muslim times as Monte Laham, there are seven towers, three square Muslim towers and four semicircular Christian towers. These were built by the Templars of Alfonso VII, who constructed a strong-chapel following the Christian conquest of the city under the command of the troops of Alfonso VII in 1147.
On this hill, which has an impressive view of the city, and located on a large pedestal, is the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, constructed of local Macael marble. It was restored in 2000 and it is said to bless the city and the Mediterranean Sea. It was originally built in the twentieth century (around 1930). https://www.turismodealmeria.org/en/motivo-tematico/jayran-wall-and-cerro-san-cristobal-hill/
Stretching over the western outskirts of Bila Tserkva, not far from Kyiv, the Dendropark Oleksandriya is considered to be one of the most beautiful and charming landscape parks in the country. Created by the best European architects and gardeners, it is a vivid monument of landscape art of the 18th-19th centuries. Oleksandriya occupies a territory of 200 hectares and is, therefore, the largest landscape park in Ukraine and one of the largest ones in Eastern Europe. It is always full of guests, who are attracted by special atmosphere and an opportunity to escape the urban hustle and bustle in splendid natural surroundings.
The landscape park was named after Aleksandra von Engelhardt, the own niece of the Prince Grigory Potyomkin and the lady-in-waiting of Catherine the Great, who received the mansion in Bila Tserkva as a present from her husband, crown hetman of Poland Ksawery Branicki. Being amazed by luxurious parks in European capitals, she decided to create an as beautiful and elegant landscape park in her residence. However, on the contrary to prim park complexes of the Old World with stiffly cut trees and ideally straight lanes, the countess wanted to make the landscape of her park as close to natural as possible. She didn’t strive to change local nature, rather to bring some order in it, highlighting its beauty and richness. https://discover-ukraine.info/places/kyiv/kyiv/2342
The island of Milos often reminds visitors of its mining history. It does so by the sulphur mines located on the east side of the island.
It is worth visiting these mines and find yourself travelling back in time. Facing the sulphur mines, where up to 50 years ago sulphur was being mined, it feels like they have never stopped working. The ruins of the facilities along with all sorts of tools and objects, the railroad wagons carrying the sulphur in ships, make it easy on every visitor to imagine how the workers were working in this mines.
The sulphur mines operated from 1890 to 1960 with some interruptions. Because of the big production of cheap sulfur, mainly in America, the mines finally stopped operating.
Meanwhile, the sea and at this point of Milos is unique; Swim in the crystal clear waters and lie down on the colourful (shades of yellow due to sulfur) pebbles of the coast. https://www.milos-tours.gr/en/what-to-see-do/attractions/milos-sulphur-mines.php
The Islay Museums Trust was formed in 1976 by the Islay Historic Works Group and the Natural History and Antiquarian Society of Islay. A Management Committee was formed of Trustees resident on the island and other interested islanders. The Museum building, the former Free Church of Port Charlotte, was purchased for a nominal sum in the same year and work was started on converting what was a dilapidated ruin.
The aims of the Museum: To hold in trust collections reflecting the history of the island of Islay, for the advancement of the education of the general public, and to maintain and enhance those collections. The Museum holds around 2,000 objects over a wide range of subject areas. The Museum has developed a policy for the display of the collection, allowing the rotation of existing items in and out of storage, as well as providing space for short term displays linked to a particular theme, for example, the shipwrecks, the wee museum of childhood and Islay House upstairs and downstairs. https://www.islayinfo.com/islay_museum_of_islay_life.html
Findings at this archaeological site were unearthed by the pioneer excavations of the British School of Archaeology starting in 1910. Excavations resumed in the early 1990s, primarily in the areas of the ancient theatre and the merchant stalls.
The most significant monuments of this archaeological site include:
The Temple of Athena Chalkioikos whose position has been defined by few surviving relics found at the northwest end of the Acropolis. The temple, designed by the architect Vathyklis from Magnesia, had an interior design adorned with copper sheets (dated 6th century BC onwards) to which it owes its name (chalkioikos = copper). From the inscription by Damononos (dated before 430 BC), it seems it was called Temple of Athena Poliouchos (Guardian of the City). Pausanias adds that the temple was left unfinished until Gitiada, a local craftsman, built both the statue of the goddess and completed the temple. The temple also served as a place of refuge for Lycurgus, Pausanias and Agis IV.
The ancient theater of Sparta on the south side of the Acropolis is a product of the early Imperial Period. The orchestra, the retaining wall with engraved inscriptions of the rulers of Sparta in Roman times and the concave portion of the large theatre has been preserved. The concave of the theatre was dug into the southwest end of the Acropolis. The retaining wall of the concave is marble and its east side was engraved in the 2nd century AD with various inscriptions. The theatre was used primarily for public gatherings and celebrations. It had no permanent stage. For theatre performances, a wooden, mobile stage equipped with wheels was easily moved into position. Nearly all the findings of the ancient theatre that were discovered by the British School of Archaeology date back to the Roman Era. https://www.exploresparta.gr/tourism/en/the-acropolis-of-sparta/
Naqsh-e Rustam is an ancient necropolis, located near Persepolis and 68 km northeast of Shiraz city. Naqsh-e Rustam Shiraz is the necropolis of the Achaemenid Dynasty (550–330 BC) and contains rock-reliefs from the Sassanid era (224–651 AD). Naghsh-e Rostam counts as one of the top Shiraz attractions, paired with Persepolis.
A historic treasury lies in the Naqsh-e Rustam tombs location. Naghshe Rostam Shiraz is where the tomb of Darius I is located. According to the Naqsh-e Rustam inscription, archaeologists have discovered which great kings reside in Naqsh e Rustam burials. Inside Naqsh e Rustam tombs lacks any special design, however, there are carved the Naqsh-i Rustam inscriptions on the façade. Naghshe Rostam relief is like an ancient family album of the Achaemenids. https://irantourismer.com/naqsh-e-rustam-tomb-of-darius/
At Simsjön on Billingen lies the Ryttmästarbostället - a historical attraction with an exciting history. Here you can follow a journey back in time and learn about the simple rider's little cabin and life as well as the rider's place of residence.
On a guided tour you will meet the cavalry Major Bernhard Englund, who tells us in-depth about the old jacks and their commanders. In this story everyone is thrilled, and you hear about how Sweden was built and became a great power in Europe. You will also hear about tugs and trailers at home in the village, and a time when only the strongest survived. Guided tours are pre-booked.
If you want to make a visit without a guided tour, you can stroll around the old buildings and enjoy the exterior environment. In several places, you can also stop in for a dozen and have the exciting story of life told you before. The environment consists of partially relocated old soldier villages, but the rider's residence itself is a reconstruction after drawings from 1687. https://www.vastsverige.com/skovde/produkter/ryttmastarbostallet/?site=5428
Skriðuklaustur is an ancient manor estate in Fljótsdalur. From 1493 - 1552 a monastery operated there. In the years 2002 - 2012 an extensive archaeological excavation took place on the cloister ruins which are now open to visitors. The writer Gunnar Gunnarsson (1889 - 1975) bought Skriðklaustur in 1939 and built a large house there designed by the German architect Fritz Höger. The writer moved to Reykjavík in 1948 and donated Skriðuklaustur to the Icelandic nation. In 2000 the institute of Gunnar Gunnarsson resumed operation in Skriðuklaustur as a centre of culture and history. In the summertime, Skriðuklaustur comes alive with various exhibitions, cultural happenings and guided tours for visitors around the writer's house and the archaeological site. http://www.visitegilsstadir.is/en/things-to-see/skriduklaustur
Tana Toraja is safely protected beyond the lofty mountains and rugged granite cliffs of the central highlands of the island of Sulawesi and the home of the Toraja people. 'Discovered' and opened to the world from their long isolation only since the beginning of the last century, the Toraja today still adhere to their age-old beliefs, rituals and traditions. The nobility of Toraja are believed to be descendants of heavenly beings who came down by a heavenly stairway to live here on earth in this beautiful landscape. To keep up the energy of the land and its people, the Toraja people believe that these must be sustained through rituals that celebrate both life and death, which are attached to the agricultural seasons. Tourists to Toraja, therefore, are either attracted by its unique culture and rituals, most of which are mostly centered around graves and death ceremonies. While others prefer to avoid the morbid images and go trekking through the spectacular, almost untouched Toraja countryside visiting remote villages, or exhilarate in rafting the Sa'dan river rapids. https://www.indonesia.travel/au/en/destinations/sulawesi/tana-toraja
Osian is an ancient town located in the middle of the Thar Desert. Often known as the "Khajuraho of Rajasthan", Ossian is famous as the home to a cluster of ruined Brahmanical and Jain temples dating from the 8th to 11th centuries. One can enjoy the view of 18 shrines, out of which Surya or Sun Temple, the later Kali temple, Sachiya Mata Temple and the main Jain temple dedicated to Mahavira stand for their grace and architecture. https://www.tourmyindia.com/states/rajasthan/ossian-jodhpur.html
Valley of the Kings is without question one of the most historically significant archaeological sites in the world. For roughly 200 years, archaeologists have been exploring the site, and during this time they have discovered 65 ancient tombs, with the latest discovery being made in 2008. The valley is essentially a royal necropolis that was used by the rulers of Egypt for a period of 500 years.
Being a “royal necropolis” the area was reserved for the burial of Egypt’s New Kingdom pharaohs and a few lesser nobles. However, not all the tombs were actually used for burial purposes. Instead, several of them simply remained vacant.
The Valley of the Kings is one of Egypt’s biggest tourist attractions, with an average of around 5,000 people visiting the site each day. On days when Nile River cruise ships dock in Luxor, the number of tourists can climb to as many as 9,000. It is without doubt one of the most fascinating places in all of Egypt. https://www.egypttoursplus.com/valley-of-the-kings/
Castillo de los Tres Santos Reyes del Morro (Morro Castle) was erected between 1589 and 1630 to protect the mouth of the Havana port from pirates and invaders. The fortress stands on a rocky promontory known as El Morro, over the Atlantic. It was the King of Spain who ordered the castle to be built and appointed Juan de Texeda, a field commander, and Batista Antonelli, a military architect, to lead the works. The castle was originally planned to have an irregular polygonal shape, with three-meter-thick walls and deep moats.
The castle is an perfect example of renaissance military architecture, and is endowed with an harmonic elegance that melds with its natural surroundings through a series of terraces fused to the rock.
Nowadays, the castle offers impressive views of the sea and Havana. The lighthouse that crowns its tower was added in 1844 and helps guide ships docking in the port. https://www.tripcuba.org/morro-castle-havana
Everyone wants the inside scoop on Casco Viejo, Panama's most charismatic neighborhood. Today, Casco Viejo (aka. Casco Antiguo, San Felipe or El Casco) is a vibrant community consisting of a sharp contrast of old and new, local and foreign. The buildings are in various stages or redevelopment and renovation, with a strictly enforced standard of Historical Authenticity. There is tremendous culture and a feeling which is unique only to this neighborhood in Panama. http://www.cascoviejo.org/
The 'Princely Beguinage Ten Wijngaarde' with its white-coloured house fronts and tranquil convent garden was founded in 1245. This little piece of world heritage was once the home of the beguines, emancipated lay-women who nevertheless led a pious and celibate life. Today the beguinage is inhabited by nuns of the Order of St. Benedict and several Bruges women who have decided to remain unmarried. In the Beguine's house, you can still get a good idea of what day-to-day life was like in the 17th century. https://www.visitbruges.be/highlights/beguinage
The historic façade is already an indication of the building’s glorious history: 50 rulers, 31 of whom were crowned in Aachen, surround the central figures of Charlemagne, the Holy Mary and Pope Leo III. In the elaborately decorated rooms, too, the story of the city hall, which was built on the historic site of the great palace hall of Emperor Charlemagne, is brought to life. In the coronation hall, where formerly the rulers took a meal after being crowned, copies of the imperial regalia remind us of this glorious era today. https://www.aachen-tourismus.de/en/discover/sights/town-hall/
900-year-old Hohenwerfen Castle stands amid extraordinary countryside. A former defensive bastion, it is enthroned high above the Salzach River Valley, offering exciting experiences for visitors in search of adventure and culture.
Hohenwerfen Castle promises a unique adventure, and it delivers! Aside from guided tours of the castle, including its exhibition of ancient weapons, a stylish castle tavern and the Knights’ Store, it is the historic State Falconer’s, with its daily falconry shows, that is an absolute magnet for visitors. The first Austrian Museum of Falconry, including a bird-of-prey theme path, is likewise located up at the castle. https://www.salzburg.info/en/sights/excursions/hohenwerfen-fortress
Taking the cruise ship from Kerms, you will end up at a charming town Melk. You can enjoy a walk around the town and admiring beautiful architecture.
Melk is an Austrian town on the River Danube, west of Vienna. It’s known for the 11th-century Melk Abbey, a vast monastery built high above the town. No tour of monasteries in Austria, or Middle Europe, for that matter, would be complete without a visit to the magnificent Melk Abbey. Abbot Berthold Dietmayr and his architects Jakob Prandtauer and Joseph Munggenast left no stone unturned in their quest from 1701 to 1736 to construct a sacred palace upon the foundations of a medieval monastery. https://www.austria.info/uk/things-to-do/cities-and-culture/architecture/melk-abbey