Being the most recognizable symbol of Russia in the world, the glorious Red Square is the UNESCO listed World Heritage which accepts thousands of tourists each year. No wonder that this sight is a true must-visit of any Moscow trip and every adventurous globe-trotter has a picture in front of St. Basil's Cathedral.
The Red Square is set in the very heart of Moscow, separating the Kitay Gorod commercial district from the Kremlin walls, and has a history as old as the post-Mongol fortress itself. The name "Krásnaya Plóshchaď" translates from Russian as "red", yet the word also means "beautiful". This ancient center of Russia's political power dates back to the end of the 13th century and has a long and rich history.
Originally, it was the site of a central market square established in an area cleared by decree for the defense of Kremlin on the banks of Moskva and Neglinnaya rivers. It was also a place where various festive processions were held and thus the square was considered a sacred place. https://www.travelallrussia.com/red-square
St. Basil’s Cathedral is Moscow’s most famous artistic work of architecture. Also called "Pokrovsky Cathedral" or "The Cathedral of Intercession of the Virgin by the Moat", it is the most recognizable Russian building. This Cathedral is to the Russians what the Eiffel Tower is to the French, an honorable symbol of their past, present, and future.
The cathedral stands on the Red Square, facing the Ivory Gate Chapel. The St. Basil's Cathedral history started in 1555 by the order of Ivan IV ("Ivan the Terrible") in celebration of the defeat of Kazan, the last remaining grip of the Mongol Empire on European lands.
Today there are more than 400 icons painted between the 14th and 19th centuries by the most famous schools of Novgorod and Moscow hanging on the walls.
A narrow pathway leads you from one alter to another, passing through a wooden spiral staircase so well hidden in a wall, that it was only found during the 1970 restoration of the cathedral. Taking in the medieval aura and mystical spirituality of St. Basil’s imbues visitors with what can only be described as a quintessential Russian experience. https://www.travelallrussia.com/st-basil-moscow
The Armoury Chamber, a treasure-house, is a part of the Grand Kremlin Palace's complex. It is situated in the building constructed in 1851 by architect Konstantin Ton. The museum collections were based on the precious items that had been preserved for centuries in the tsars' treasury and the Patriarch's vestry. Some of the exhibits were made in the Kremlin's workshops, others were accepted as ambassadorial gifts. The museum was named after one of the oldest Kremlin's treasury stores.
The Armoury Chamber preserves ancient state regalia, ceremonial royal clothes and coronation dresses, vestments of Russian Orthodox Church hierarchs, the most extensive collection of gold- and silverware made by Russian craftsmen, West European artistic silver, ceremonial arms and armour, carriages and horse ceremonial harness.
The State Armoury presents more than four thousand items of applied art of Russia, European and Eastern countries of the 4th - early 20th century. The highest artistic level and particular historical and cultural value of the exhibits have made the State Armoury of the Moscow Kremlin a world-wide known museum. http://armoury-chamber.kreml.ru/en-Us/history/view/
The Tretyakov Gallery is the main museum of Russian national art, reflecting its unique contribution to world culture. It is a hospitable museum that is known for its rich collection and variety of presented ideas. Check out the best works of Russian art from different eras and authors. On Currently the collection includes more than 180 000 pieces and is regularly updated. The Collection presents major masterpieces from the permanent exhibition.
Also visit The New Tretyakov Gallery which presents the most completed in our country permanent exhibition of the art of the 20th century in all its diversity - avant - garde, socialistic realism and art of the "austere style" and "underground" and some new art trends. Here are held not only large-scale retrospectives of great Russian artists, but also showed experimental exhibitions of young authors. A lecture - hall and a creative workshop offer a wide range of theoretical knowledge and practical trainings about the art of the 20th and early 21st century for children, students and adults. https://www.tretyakovgallery.ru/en/
The Bolshoi Theatre began its life as the private theatre of the Moscow proseсutor Prince Pyotr Urusov. On 28 March 1776, Empress Catherine II signed and granted the Prince the 'privilege' of organizing theatre performances, masquerades, balls and other forms of entertainment for a period of ten years. It is from this date that Moscow's Bolshoi Theatre traces its history.
The Bolshoi building, which for many years now has been regarded as one of Moscow’s main sights, was opened on 20 October 1856, on Tsar Alexander II’s coronation day.
On 29 October 2002 the Bolshoi was given a New Stage and it was here it presented its performances during the years the Historic Stage was undergoing massive reconstruction and refurbishment.
The reconstruction project lasted from l July 2005 to 28 October 2011. As a result of this reconstruction, many lost features of the historic building were reinstated and, at the same time, it has joined the ranks of most technically equipped theatre buildings in the world.
The Bolshoi Theatre is a symbol of Russia for all time. It was awarded this honor due to the major contribution it made to the history of the Russian performing arts. This history is on-going and today Bolshoi Theatre artists continue to contribute to it many bright pages. http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/hist/history/
Golitsynsky Pond consists of two parts: the small and the big ponds. Founded in 1954, the complex has always been one of the most romantic places in the park.
Golitsinsky pond changed its title and at the time of the Sovient Union was renamed as Pionersky. During the reconstruction of the Park, Golitsinsky Pond has received its original name.
The main attraction of the Pond is a small "Dancing island". Currently this island is abandoned, however in 1930's one of the most beautiful stages of the Park located there. On the brim there used to be the amphitheater for 700 spectators while the island served as a platform for the plays. Repertoire was quite diverse - theatre plays and ballet, opera, musical acts and other different performances. The Bolshoy Theatre artists also gave their performances here.
Boat renting is also available. The territory of the Pond is quite big so it's possible to move easily around it using the boat. http://park-gorkogo.com/en/places/15
Lenin’s mausoleum in Moscow’s Red Square offers up one of Moscow’s most macabre attractions and perhaps the most famous “modern mummy” in the world.
Frozen in time, Vladimir Ilych Lenin’s embalmed body lays within a red granite and black labratorite step-pyramid. Here visitors may gaze on it in the dark, cool of the tomb. The sarcophagus is kept at a constant temperature of 16° C (61° F) and humidity of 80 - 90 percent. Weekly, a mild bleach is used to fight discoloring fungus and mold on Lenin’s skin, and every eighteen months the corpse undergoes a chemical bath of glycerol and potassium for thirty days while the mausoleum is closed. During this time, Lenin’s clothes are washed and carefully ironed. And every three years, Lenin receives a new suit.
Lenin can be viewed for five minutes at a time in small groups under the watchful eye of guards in every corner of the room. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lenins-mausoleum
Today GUM lives like it once was conceived. It is ideal shopping city of Moscow that seems to live without losses and catastrophes for 120 years already. The fountain in the center of GUM was reopened and pleases visitors since 2007. This legendary construction is captured in the official chronicles of the twentieth century and in millions of private shots. They say, the sound of a shutter can be heard every three seconds here today. The legendary cinema, which went down in the history of the national movie-making, was restored. Unique illumination project was carried out on the facade. GUM-Skating rink was opened at Red Square in 2006, which at once gained the fame of the brightest ice rink of the capital.
GUM is not just a store where you can buy almost everything. It is a shopping block where there is a pharmacy, bank branch, and flower shop ... It is a monument of architecture. It is a comfortable lounge area with restaurants and cafes. It is an art gallery and venue for cultural events. It is an integral part of Russian history. It is a symbol of Moscow and it is the closest place to the Kremlin, where you can feel yourself in Europe! https://gumrussia.com/
The wooden palace of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich with 270 rooms decorated with paintings and carvings was built in 1667 without using any fasten materials, nails or hooks. It consisted of 26 buildings connected with each other by passages and halls. The whole complex was divided into male and female parts. The male part included ceremonial chambers, chambers of the Tsar and of his sons, while the female part belonged to the Tsarina and to the Tsar’s daughters. https://www.russiaeguide.com/wooden-palace-of-tsar-alexei-mikhailovich.html
One of St. Petersburg's most famous and popular visitor attractions, the palace and park at Peterhof (also known as Petrodvorets) are often referred to as "the Russian Versailles", although many visitors conclude that the comparison does a disservice to the grandeur and scope of this majestic estate.
Versailles was, however, the inspiration for Peter the Great's desire to build an imperial palace in the suburbs of his new city and, after an aborted attempt at Strelna, Peterhof - which means "Peter's Court" in German - became the site for the Tsar's Monplaisir Palace, and then of the original Grand Palace. The estate was equally popular with Peter's daughter, Empress Elizabeth, who ordered the expansion of the Grand Palace and greatly extended the park and the famous system of fountains, including the truly spectacular Grand Cascade.
Improvements to the park continued throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. Catherine the Great, after leaving her own mark on the park, moved the court to Pushkin, but Peterhof once again became the official Imperial Residence in the reign of Nicholas I, who ordered the building of the modest Cottage Palace in 1826.
Like almost all St. Petersburg's suburban estates, Peterhof was ravaged by German troops during the Second World War. It was, however, one of the first to be resurrected and, thanks to the work of military engineers as well as over 1,000 volunteers, the Lower Park opened to the public in 1945 and the facades of the Grand Palace were restored in 1952. The name was also de-Germanicized in 1944, becoming Petrodvorets, the name under which the surrounding town is still known. The palace and park are once again known as Peterhof. http://www.saint-petersburg.com/peterhof/
This Church was built on the site where Emperor Alexander II was severely wounded and died in March 1881.The church was built from 1883 till 1907. The construction was funded by the imperial family.
Architecturally, the Cathedral differs from St. Petersburg's other structures. The Church contains over 7500 square meters of mosaics—according to its restorers, more than any other church in the world. The walls and ceilings inside the Church are completely covered in intricately detailed mosaics — the main pictures being biblical scenes or figures — but with very fine patterned borders setting off each picture. http://www.visit-petersburg.ru/en/showplace/195645/
Although it is only a 20th century creation, Palace Bridge is undoubtedly one of the most famous sights of St. Petersburg, and is quite literally unmissable for most visitors to the city, who will find themselves continually using the bridge to move between Palace Square, home to the Winter Palace and the Hermitage Museum, and the numerous historic attractions on Vasilevskiy Ostrov.
Despite the grandeur and extravagance of the surrounding architecture, Palace Bridge itself is a relatively simple structure, comprising five cast-iron spans resting on granite-clad, packed-rubble piers. Height of the bridge was strictly limited, so as not to obstruct the view of the monuments around. The central span of the bridge splits into two wings, which are raised through an angle of over 45° to allow ships to pass up the Neva River, and the view of the golden spire of the Ss. Peter and Paul Cathedral between the two raised wings is one of the most widespread and memorable images of St. Petersburg. It also makes Palace Embankment the centre of nightly celebrations during the White Nights, when thousands of locals and visitors gather to watch Palace Bridge open in the small hours. http://www.saint-petersburg.com/bridges/unmissable-palace-bridge/
The Temple of All Religions is a cascade of buildings, combining various styles of buildings of different cultures and religions into one. This is the only place in the world where you can marvel at the Orthodox and Catholic churches, the Muslim mosque, the Jewish synagogue and the Buddhist temple harmoniously coexisting all as one building. The temple is decorated with all the iconic elements of world religions, as well as symbols of extinct civilizations. Visitors are invited to visit the rooms of Jesus Christ, Buddha, the Catholic Hall, the Egyptian Hall, the theatre hall, the picture gallery, and the tea room. The unique temple can be clearly seen from ships sailing along the Volga River, as well as from the windows of the nearby passing trains. https://visit-tatarstan.com/en/places/religion/hram_vseh_religij/
On the pedestrian Bauman street, there is a place from which an incredible view of the central part of Kazan can be seen. This is an observation deck on the bell tower of the Epiphany Cathedral, the tallest ancient building in the city stands 74 metres tall.
According to the Archpriest Alexei Derzhavin - abbot of the cathedral, the bell tower was made up of 2,000,000 bricks. Inside it, the Church of John the Baptist, the patron saint of heaven patron Ivan Krivonosov, was opened. The cathedral as well as the observation deck was closed down in the 1930s, and was only restored in 2016. https://visit-tatarstan.com/en/places/attractions/kolokolnya_bogoyavlenskogo_sobora/
The Kazan Family Centre is a new wedding palace built on the bank of Kazanka River in 2013. The double-story observation deck on the roof, 32 metres up, is a great place to see the city and truly feel its scale. The panoramic view of the riverbed of Kazanka River, Volga, The Kremlin, and the old and new parts of Kazan can all be seen from here. A multi-level green lawn stretches across the front of the centre, with benches where you can sit and enjoy the view. In 2016 a sculptural composition "On I Ona" ("He and She" in Russian) by Dasha Namdakova was erected here. A pair of zilants (city symbols), leopards (symbols of the republic) and their cubs stand guard over family values, embodying the fidelity and strength of marriage ties. In the evening, the building lights up with red lights: creating a feeling of burning, everlasting love. After the building’s construction, its viewing platform has become a popular place for photographers, who come here to take amazing photos and film the panoramic views of the city. https://visit-tatarstan.com/en/places/attractions/centr_semi_kazan/
The Old Tatar Quarter (“Staro-Tatarskaya Sloboda”) is the soul of the historical part of Kazan. With its streets preserved from the medieval period, this is considered to be the main area of the Tatar city culture. Dozens of monuments have found refuge on the shores of Lake Kaban and Bulak ducts, in the heart of the capital of Tatarstan. The Old Tatar Quarter is spread over an area of 87.95 hectares, and you will find a total of 75 monuments of history and culture of the 18th – 20th centuries throughout it, which form the settlement itself. Among these are the houses of Yunusov-Apanaev, Shamil, Marjani, Kayum Nasyri, Shamil Yusupov and many others. The long list of masterpieces of architecture, however, should not deter you from simply enjoying the atmosphere of this historical place – there is much more to see than simply buildings. In the 19th century, an Oriental Club functioned in this settlement, where famous poets would read their works and some of the very first Tatar plays were staged. Mosques that were built here, are now known around the world - Apanaeva, Blue, Galeev, Burnaevskaya, and Sennaya (Nurulla) Mosques. Other places also decorate the settlement - a literary museum of Tatar poet Gabdulla Tukay, the house-museum of educator and scientist Kayum Nasyri, Tatar Academic Theatre named after Galiasgar Kamal and the “Tatarskaya Usadba” hotel and restaurant complex, which also includes a museum of Tatar life, a gallery of art crafts and a souvenir shop. And, of course some of the more modern places to visit here – for example the Chak-chak Museum (Tatar national delicacy) eagerly await visitors. Here, you can drink a cup of tea with oriental sweets and learn the secrets of ancient recipes of national dishes. https://visit-tatarstan.com/en/places/attractions/staro-tatarskaya_sloboda/
"Park Pobedy" ("Victory Park") occupies an area of 50 hectares, covered with 1418 planted trees and bushes – the number of days of the duration of WWII. A pantheon surrounds the Eternal Flame, where the names of the Kazan victims who died in the war are engraved on the marble tablets. The 42-metre "Pobeda" ("Victory") stele is also nearby, where at the foot of it stands a sculptural composition - a mother with a child in her arms and a soldier with a sword defending them. The park is a real, outdoor museum featuring old military equipment in the open air. Most of these were built at the Kazan manufacturing plants during the war. Locals like to come to the park with their children, who especially like to climb on the tanks and wings of aircraft. A picturesque lake with wild ducks, which you can feed stretches out alongside the park. https://visit-tatarstan.com/en/places/attractions/park_pobedy/
The park is located in the historical and business centre of the city, near the Kazan Kremlin and University. In the eastern part there is a garden, the main entrance to which is through the romantic "lovers arch". It has an elliptical shape that gives it an interesting acoustic effect: if two people walk up to the opposite sides of the arch and whisper into the arch corners, they hear each other perfectly on either side. Most often, lovers pronounce their love for eachother, hence the name. The park often hosts festivals and concerts on the white-wash wooden flooring in the centre of the park, and city dwellers like to come here for picnics. There are two street food cafes with a snow-white pergola and a large playground. Jogging here has also become a popular way of working out right in the centre of the city. Next to the park, you’ll find various pastry and coffee shops, the Murgasovskiy house and the "City Panorama" offering virtual walks around the city. https://visit-tatarstan.com/en/places/attractions/chernoje_ozero/
The famous clock on Bauman street do not just show the time - it's a true piece of art made of bronze, created by the famous Kazan architect Igor Bashmakov. Immediately after installation, it became a popular meeting place for couples, and has been lovingly nicknamed the "lovers’ watch". Beloved by all, be sure to take a photo next to it during your visit. The top of the composition features figures of a boy, a pegasus and a goddess. A little lower – the clock dials, face different directions. The name of the numbers in the Tatar language on the dial is translated into Arabic. At the ends of the hour hands, the sun and the crescent moon are depicted, and poetic lines in Arabic are displayed along the dial's circumference. https://visit-tatarstan.com/en/places/attractions/chasy_na_ulice_baumana/
The Kazan Cat regularly appears on lists of the most interesting and unusual monuments of Russia. Its place is in the centre of Kazan, on the pedestrian Bauman street. It is a sculptural and architectural composition three metres high in the form of a well-fed cat lying on a couch with a mouse, under a tent roof.
The history of the Kazan Cat begins with the reign of Empress Elizabeth Petrovna. Based on historical legends, it is widely known that the Russian Empress learned that there are no mice in Kazan. The fact is that in those days, the cats of Kazan were excellent mice hunters of a special breed - strong, active, with a large head, a muscular neck and a short tail. By the highest order made on October 13, 1745, 30 Kazan cats were transported to St Petersburg to catch mice that had proliferated in the unfinished Winter Palace (also known as modern-day "Hermitage" Museum). Given their bestowed new role, the cats did their job, having saved the palace from harmful rodents. https://visit-tatarstan.com/en/places/attractions/pamyatnik_kotu_kazanskomu/
It is impossible to come to Kazan and miss the Kremlin. It majestically stands on a hill which, according to legend, was once home to the fire-breathing Zilant dragon, guarding the underground kingdom. Today, the Kremlin complex spanning across 150 thousand square metres, houses the residence of the President of the Republic, various administration buildings and the "Kazan Kremlin" Reserve Museum among others. In 2000, this architectural and historical site was added to the list of World Cultural and Natural Heritage sites of UNESCO https://visit-tatarstan.com/en/places/attractions/kazanskiy-kreml/
The National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan is the leading museum center of Tatarstan, one of the largest cultural and historical museums of the Volga region and the oldest museum of the republic. http://visit-tatarstan.com/locations/sights/museums/nationalmuseumrt
The city's atmosphere is created by its streets, especially pedestrian streets. In Kazan there is such a street, beautiful, crowded, where every day you can meet musicians, and in the summer even dancers. http://visit-tatarstan.com/locations/sights/places/baumanstreet
Church of St. John the Baptist is one of the most famous monuments of the Yaroslavl architecture. It is a monument of history and culture of world importance included in the UNESCO cultural heritage list. http://russiatrek.org/blog/cities/amazing-15-domed-church-of-st-john-the-baptist-in-yaroslavl/
Myshkin is a small town with a population of only about 5,700 people located on the left, high bank of the Volga River (Rybinsk Reservoir), in the Myshkin district of the Yaroslavl region. http://russiatrek.org/blog/funny/mouse-museum-in-myshkin/
The five-story bell tower of the Savior's Transfiguration Cathedral is decorated in the style of early classicism and decorated with baroque elements. The belltower of the cathedral impresses with its magnificence and considerable height - 94 meters. http://obzor-mest.ru/dostoprimechatelnosti-rybinska/
Vvedenskiy Tolga Convent is located on the outskirts of Yaroslavl, on the left bank of the Volga River. You can easily get here by water-bus from the city center. http://russiatrek.org/blog/travel/beautiful-vvedenskiy-tolga-convent-in-yaroslavl/
An aquapark in the Kurortnii Gorodok of Adler. Barely glancing at “Amfibius” you will see a “city in a city”. I mean, there so many things to do at so big area – more than two hectares of land, it simply defies the imagination with its size. And, once inside, you realize that the organizers bothered that you get the whole range of services for the best, carefree holiday. The complex is surprising not only for its big area, but also for the variety of entertainment options available. It’s true to say that even the most sophisticated visitors can find here a pleasant pastime.
Aquapark has 16 rides. Most of them will be interesting for both children and adults. First you will meet three fast tracks with spectacular name “Kamikadze”, each 15 meters high. Ride on them thrills even fans of speed. Then head toward the bright red “Laguna”, repeat some sharp turns, and then proceed to – to the quirky “Giant”, which gives a lot of vivid impressions. There is also a unique slide “Taboga” – a kind of water slalom. The main thing on it – resist falling. Finally, fans of extreme relaxation can try «Blue Hall». This blue tube of enormous size, spun on such a scale that sustain its sharp turns and bends can be tested by the bravest. At the end, the pipe will make you fly a distance longer than 100 meters.
All these water attractions are located in one of the pool. Visitors on holidays in this part of the park, not only provided a riot of colors, but also a lot of pleasant sensations, fun, sun, and, of course, the warm water. Needless to say, once visited the water park “Amfibius”, you certainly will want to come back here again. https://visit-sochi.org/aquapark-amphibius/
It’s a beautiful area and is a place for exploring rare speciments both flora and fauna. A place for eco tourism, summer camping, mountain horse-riding, and some extremal activities – like mountain climbing. https://visit-sochi.org/caucasian-state-biosphere-reserve/
The leaning tower, constructed with the sponsorship of the Demidov dynasty, is the symbol of Nevyansk and a monument of industrial architecture.The tower has several levels and floors. Earlier it hosted a lab for examining the content of manufactured iron, the factory's archives, the chancellor's office, and the lockup cell. Today it contains museum exhibits. Akinfiy Demidov's office, which served as a prison in Soviet times, was located on the second floor.To this day there is still a so-called «listening room». If you stand in one corner of the room, you can hear the tiniest whisper of people in the opposite corner. In addition, the Nevyansk tower has preserved its 18th-century clock tower. This chiming clock was manufactured in the 1730s by an English clockmaker, Richard Phelps, and had needed repairs only three times since. There was a time when the clock could play up to 20 musical pieces. Today, every 15 minutes the clock chimes the melody «Glory to You» from the opera «A Life for the Tsar».Another feature of the tower is the metal steeple with a weathercock, bearing the stamped coat-of-arms of the Demidovs. The steeple is grounded. It served as a lightning rod a quarter of a century before Benjamin Franklin invented the first lightning rod in 1725. https://eng.russia.travel/objects/306693/
The city opera hall was designed by V. Semenov and opened on September 12, 1912 with M. Glinka’s opera “A Life for the Tsar”. Ekaterinburg Opera and Ballet Theatre is one of the oldest in Russia. The theatre construction (based on the design by V. N. Semenov from Saint Petersburg who won the all-Russian open contest) began in 1903 and was led by local architect K. T. Babykin. The grand opening was held on September 12, 1912 – Glinka’s opera “A Life for the Tsar” was staged. Riccardo Drigo’s "The Magic Flute" became the first ballet production of a new theater in 1914 https://uralopera.com/