Its construction date is not known exactly. It is believed to have been built by the Hittites, who had a military garrison in the city. But this idea has not been confirmed based on archaeological data. The Ankara Castle, which has been in the same place since the Hittites, was repaired many times during the Romans, Byzantines and Seljuk periods, consists of the inner castle that covers the high part of the hill and the outer castle that surrounds its surroundings (the outer castle has about 20 towers). The outer fortress turns the old city of Ankara.
The castle has experienced various periods in history. BC 2nd century After the Romans invaded Galatya (Ankara region) at the beginning, the city grew and fell out of the castle. Roman Emperor Caracaila İ.S. In 217 he repaired the walls of the castle. Between 222 and 260, Emperor Severus Alexander and Velerianus were defeated by the Persians and the castle was partially destroyed. After the second half of the 7th century, the Romans began to repair the castle. Emperor Constantine made an outsider in 688. IV. While Leon repaired the castle walls in 740, the walls of the inner castle also increased. Emperor Nikephoros and Emperor Basileios also repaired the fort in the 9th century.
Before building of Anitkabir, Anittepe’s (Monument Hill ) name was Rasattepe (Observation Hill) because there was an observatory on this hill.
There were also tumultuous (graves) belonging to Phrygian civilization of 3rd Century BC on this hill. Archaeological excavations took place to remove these tombs after the decision was given to build Anitkabir on Rasattepe. Remains found on these excavations are on display in the museum of Anatolian Civilizations.
The first stage to start the construction was the expropriation of the land after deciding on the Anitkabir project. Actual construction of Anitkabir commenced on 9 October 1944 with a splendid ceremony by laying the first stone of the foundation. Construction of Anitkabir took nine years in four stages. Second stage construction, comprising the mausoleum and the auxiliary buildings surrounding the ceremonial ground, started on 29 September 1945 and completed on 8 August 1950.
The third stage was comprising the construction of the roads leading to the mausoleum, Lions’ alley, ceremonial ground, the mausoleum’s upper-level stone pavement, grand stairs, putting the big tomb stone in its place and installation of electricity, plumbing and heating systems.
The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, located in Ankara province of Turkey, is just like a gift for history lovers. This superb museum is the perfect introduction to the complex weave of Turkey's ancient past, with its beautiful artefacts picked from just the significant archaeological site in Anatolia.
Very few places in the world could give you a chronological understanding of mankind's mind-boggling progress. Anatolian Civilizations Museum in Ankara is one of them. Arranged as a chronological spiral, this museum will take you on a journey from 900 thousand years ago, to the present time.
The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations has on display priceless artefacts dating from the Paleolithic and Neolithic Ages and from Hittite, Phrygian, Urartu and Roman civilizations.
The ruins of the Roman Bath, located approximately 400 meters from Ulus, on Çankırı Avenue, stretching from Ulus Square, were completely unearthed by excavations in 1939-1943. With the works carried out between 1997-2001, it has gained the appearance of the Open Air Museum. The Roman Bath III. It is known that it was built by the Roman Emperor Caracalla (212-217) in the 19th century. The building, which was understood to have settled during the Phrygian, Roman, partly Byzantine, Seljuk and Ottoman periods, consists of 2 sections, the Pillared Road and the Hamam Building.
Ethnography Museum of Ankara is the first museum of Turkish Rebuplic which was planned and built by the directive of Atatürk, the great leader. Arif Hikmet Koyunoğlu, the architect of the building, is one of the most valuable architects of the Republican period. The architecture of the Ethnography Museum of Ankara reflects the characteristics of each period of Anatolia from the early ages to the Republic. The Museum which was opened to the public on 18th July 1930 and remained open until the date on November 1938 where the inner courtyard of the museum served as the temporary grave for Atatürk. The Ethnographic Museum of Ankara reopened its doors to the public, owing to the International Museums week, in 6th-14th October 1956.
Ethnography Museum of Ankara contains a rich collection of works which reflect ethnographic aspects of all people lived in Anatolia At the museum, it is possible to see folk costumes, ornaments, Turkish-specific technical materials compiled from various regions of Anatolia as well as the finest examples of Ottoman calligraphic art, Turkish tile and glass art, metalworking art and wooden artefacts. Also exhibited at the Ethnography Museum is a collection of carpets and kilims from the famous carpet weaving centres of Uşak, Bergama, Kula, Milas, Ladik, Karaman, Niğde, and Kırşehir. The museum also has a specialized library on Anatolian ethnography and folklore, containing artefacts available related to the history of art.
The theatre was built on a semicircular plan, and the hillside of the citadel supported its audience. Two vaulted passages still lead to the orchestra, a semicircular space occupied by the choir during the performances. In the case of the theatre in Ankara, it has a diameter of about 13 meters and is surrounded by a thick wall. Unfortunately, it is not known what material was used for the floor of the orchestra.
A proscenium, i.e. the platform where the actors performed, has also been preserved. Only the northern part of skene, the structure at the back of a theatre stage housing changing rooms and warehouses of props, has survived in Ankara. The choir used the passages called parodoi, of which the eastern one survived to our times in its entirety, and the western one - only in fragments.
The seats in the theatre and radially ascending stairs were made of stones, debris, and plaster. The auditorium was divided into four horizontal sections. It is estimated that the theatre had from 20 to 22 rows of seats and it could accommodate between three and five thousand spectators. Therefore, it is a relatively small example of such a building in Asia Minor. The seats from the audience were later used to build the walls of the citadel, although archaeologists managed to excavate two of them in their original location. They were made of andesite, and their height was about 40 cm.
Aqua Vega Aquarium is one of Turkey's and Europe's largest tunnel aquariums, with a total capacity of 4.5 million litres of waters and 98 meters in length.
Aqua Vega Aquarium has large and small, consisting of salt and freshwater aquariums with different characteristics. In this atmosphere, you can be guest into the world of fascinating sea creatures from the oceans and rivers of the world.
The world's seas and oceans are still a huge universe waiting to be discovered. You have the opportunity to discover this colourful and peaceful world of the sea creatures with Aqua Vega Aquarium in the center of Ankara.
The temple of Augustus and Roma in Ankara was erected after the conquest of Central Anatolia by the Roman emperor Octavian Augustus in 25 BCE. The city, then known as Ancyra, became the capital of the newly formed Province of Galatia. After the death of Augustus in 14 CE, a copy of his autobiography entitled "Deeds of the Divine Augustus" was placed on the walls of the temple both in Latin and in Greek translation. There were many such copies the Roman Empire, but nowadays the inscription from Ankara, known as the Monumentum Ancyranum, is an almost completely preserved version of the text. This fact makes it a unique source of knowledge for researchers of this period of history.
In the first half of the 3rd century BCE, the Celtic people from northern Europe reached the Anatolian highlands. Their route went through Macedonia and Greece, and the Greeks began to call them the Galatians. They came to Asia Minor not as invaders, but as mercenaries on the invitation from the king Bithynia, Nikomedes I. He needed their assistance in the fight against his brother, Zipoetes II.
Ulucanlar Prison was established in 1925 and was transferred to Sincan Prison in 2006 and closed. In June 2011, it was repaired by Altındağ Municipality and opened to visitors as Ulucanlar Prison Museum.
In the Ulucanlar Prison Museum, there are courtyards where 81 years of journalists, writers, poets, politicians who have been imprisoned because of their thoughts, their personal belongings and photographs were taken while in prison are exhibited.
Ulucanlar Prison Museum Visiting Hours: 10:00 - 17:00
Ulucanlar Prison Museum Holidays: Monday
Ziraat Bank Museum is located in the Honor Hall of the Ziraat Bank Head Office Building, which was built by the Italian architect Giulio Mongeri between 1926-1929 and is one of the structures of the First National Architecture Period. It was opened on November 20, 1981, when the 118th anniversary of the bank was celebrated, by the Advisory Council President Şadi Irmak.
It is the first bank museum in our country. Since its start, Turkey commercial banking system, economic, political, cultural, artistic and showing growth reached up to the present with educational exchange Ziraat Bank Museum, many antique objects used in hosting and banking systems of these properties are exhibited in a historical atmosphere.
The Duatepe Monument was built by afforestation of Gazi Tepe, Türbe Tepe and Mangal Mountain on the last line of defence where Sakarya Square War, which is considered the turning point of the War of Independence, was held. Work started in Duatepe in October 1999 and 20 thousand trees were planted and the monument was completed and opened on 12 September 2000. Polatlı, Duatepe Monument consists of five parts: parking lot, connection road, walkway, ceremony area and monument. There is information written in brass letters of 81 martyrs in Duaepe on the walls of the monument. The creator of the monument and sculptures is the State Artist sculptor Metin Yurdanur.
The monument symbolically tells the story of the Anatolian people running to victory and civilization like an enthusiastic river under the leadership of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. The figure of Mustafa Kemal on his prancing horse expresses the pride and happiness he has become the leader of the Turkish Nation. The sculptures of Atatürk, İnönü and Marshal Fevzi Çakmak, which are in the background, describe the command unit and the statue of Halide Edip Adıvar describes the contribution of the Turkish woman to the War of Independence. The scene where Atatürk and his child watch the plain through binoculars expresses the Turkish nation, which is waiting for the victory to be won a little later and the next independence.