It was built in the 12th century on the outskirts of the city. Interesting elements on the exterior are the small tower on the façade and the sturdy flying buttresses built between the 17th and 18th centuries. It has a basilical floor plan with three naves, separated by composite pillars decorated with plant motifs. It is covered with barrel vaults reinforced by rib arches. The sanctuary of the collegiate church has three apses; the central one is polygonal and the two side ones are semicircular. The interior lighting comes from the side openings and the rose window on the façade. Elements worth noting in the cloister include the decoration on the capitals, made by the workshop of Master Mateo.
A Riouxa Park, in Teis neighbourhood, is 60 hectares in size and a favourite among the locals for dog-walking and taking the kids to its large playground. Designed by the Catalonian architect Ricardo Bofill, this park has numerous species of trees, of which many were brought from other parts of the world. An example of this is the horse chestnut, which coexists with native species such as the oak.
The O Castro site is Vigo’s archaeological site par excellence: this was the origin of what is now the largest city in Galicia, between the second century BC and the third century AD. When you step on the stones of this museum site, the O Castro de Vigo. A Orixe da cidade, you’ll discover where the first inhabitants of Vigo lived.
The Castro is a 1 mile² archaeological site that includes the reconstruction of three castreño buildings pertaining to one of the largest and most evolved towns in Galicia. This small part of the Vigo oppidum shows us how people lived in castros 2,000 years ago.
Built between 1070 and 1093 on the remains of a Roman temple the Sé has had many facelifts over the years. The present day styling is a mixture of the Gothic and Baroque. Inside is a museum with a collection of relics
Classified as a national monument, nobody is quite sure what this unusual 12th century building was for! Built in a Romanesque style the building forms an irregular pentagon with a subterranean vaulted cistern
The Military Museum of Porto (Museu Militar do Porto) is housed in a 19th century building in the Bonfim district of Porto, in what was formerly the headquarters of the feared secret police - PIDE (Polícia Internacional e de Defesa do Estado) during the time of Salazar and the Estado Novo (New State).
Porto, a World Heritage Site, is an old, intense and authentic city of an exquisite architectural and landscape value. Visit its historical centre and enjoy a glass of one of the most appreciated wines in the world.
A National Monument, the Palácio da Bolsa (Stock Exchange Palace) is the property and headquarters of the Commercial Association of Porto. It was designed by Joaquim da Costa Lima in a neoclassical style in 1842.
This Modernist building in the neo-Gothic style consists of a castle, church and stately mansion, and is the site of the Los Caminos Museum. This monument was designed by Gaudí himself in 1887, although it was ultimately completed by the architect Luis de Querejeta.
This fountain is the most unusual in the area. It has a front panel with six spouts in the form of human heads from which the water flows towards a rectangular basin. There are three heraldic shields on the front: two from Avilés at each side, with the royal coat of arms in the centre.
Construction began between the late 12th century and the early 13th century. and continued for a considerable time before the building was completed. As the work took so long (estimated at almost 70 years) there is evidence of the influence of two different styles: the Romanesque and the proto-Gothic.
This great cultural centre is the first work by the architect Oscar Niemeyer in Spain.It is located on the Aviles estuary, five minutes from the town's historic centre on foot. Its broad cultural programme of international activities includes exhibitions, plays, dances, films, concerts, conferences and gastronomic activities.
Over the centuries the cathedral of Leon has undergone successive restorations in which a number of famous architects have participated. Ordoño II built the temple on the site of his royal palace as a show of gratitude for defeating the Moors at the battle of San Esteban de Gormaz.
The Sao Domingos Church, in Aveiro, was founded in 1423 and went on to be remodelled significantly in the 16th and 17th centuries. Located right in the heart of the city, this attractive cathedral is not to be missed as you spend your time sightseeing in and around the city centre
Aveiro Museum is one of the centrepieces of this picturesque historical city in west-central Portugal. The museum encompasses the buildings of the Jesus Monastery, with its church, cloisters and other convent buildings, and was established as long ago as 1911.
The Jesus Monastery in Aveiro is one of the city’s most important historical buildings and is well worth a visit if you are in the city for a few days. The Jesus Monastery is located right in the heart of the city, opposite to the cathedral and close to many of the city’s major attractions, including the lagoon, Forum Aveiro, the fish market, and the lovely green, park areas.
Seen from far, the towers of the cathedral are a reference point for those visiting the city of Viseu.The current cathedral was built next to an ancient Swabian-Visigoth temple possibly dating back to the 10th century during which the city was the capital to a large territory between the Douro and Mondego rivers.
The Picos de Europa National Park was the first one to be awarded that designation in Spain. Its history goes back to 1918, when don Pedro Pidal, Marquis of Villaviciosa, promoted the law to create the Montaña de Covadonga National Park, which was named Picos de Europa National Park on 30 May 1995. This natural area was awarded the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve designation in 2002.
One of the most beautiful squares in Spain. It was built in Baroque style according to the plans of Alberto Churriguera. On the north side is the City Hall, a Baroque building that has five granite arches and a steeple decorated with allegoric figures.
The Old Cathedral is in the Romanesque style with the outstanding Gallo Tower. Inside this temple, the construction of which began at the end of the 12th century, is the San Martín or Oil Chapel. The main reredos, which dates from the 15th century and was created by several painters with Dello Delli at the head, is also worthy of note.
This exhibition is an outstanding testament to the quality of Spanish sculpture from the Middle Ages through to the 19th century.Its collection includes a range of sculptures (altarpieces, choir stalls, funerary monuments, processional statues...) and materials (wood, bronze, stone, clay and ivory).
This Renaissance building was designed by Juan de Herrera in the early 16th century. The façade, with columns, is divided into two storeys: the lower is by Juan de Herrera, and the upper is by Churriguera, characterised by abundant decorative elements.
The lower section of the church dates from the early 13th century. The upper section of the church dates from the 14th century, while the cloister dates from the 15th century, although they have seen major reforms.
Peñafiel castle is built of Campaspero stone and is an example of the German Gothic style. It is 210 metres long by 33 metres wide.The castle is located on a hill overlooking the valleys of Duratón and Botijas. Its exterior is uniform in appearance, and it has a single door.
The Cantabrian Maritime Museum is in Santander Bay. It is an attractive, modern building, and was born as a tribute to this northern Spanish region and its sea. Over 3,000 square metres, it aims to show the relationship between man and the maritime world throughout history.
This cathedral is outstanding for the elegance and harmony of its architecture, and it is the only one in Spain which, for its cathedral building alone, has received the UNESCO World Heritage designation.
Before the building was ceded to the Carthusian order, it was the recreational residence of Henry III of Spain, who decided to build this palace on one of his hunting reserves. The building was subsequently restored when his son King John II came to the throne, following a design by John of Cologne. Construction was finally completed in the reign of Queen Isabella, and the top architects, sculptures and painters of the time were employed for the job, including figures such as Simon of Cologne, Gil de Siloé and Pedro Berruguete. The Carthusian monastery became one of the treasures of the Gothic style of the late 15th century.