Aire de Almería is located in Almería, as its name implies. Muslims lived in Almería for eight hundred years and their customs have enriched our cultural and social heritage. They adopted the ancient tradition of Roman Baths, perfecting them to create a system of luxurious Public Baths that has been admired for generations.
The Alcazaba, with its 1430 m. walled perimeter is Spain’s second-largest Muslim construction, after the Alhambra Palace in Granada. It was built at the behest of Abderrahman III in the tenth century after the founding of the city. It is a stronghold which housed three campuses; the first two Muslims and one Christian, last built after the conquest of the city by the Catholic Monarchs, which occurred in 1489.
The fortress is situated on a hill, overlooking the old centre of the city, the medina. In it, we find a first enclosure where there is a large garden and ponds constructed during the Muslim period.
The second area, the vast palatial residence of King Almotacín, stood during the eleventh century. This consisted of a public area, where today are the caliphate wells of the tenth century, a Christian arch of the 16th century. Finally, is the last enclosure of the fortress, Christian, and ordered to be built by the Catholic Monarchs, after the taking of the city. It is a Christian castle within the Muslim fortification.
This is the original centre of the city. Abderramán III, Almería founded in 955 (10th century), by constructing a wall around the heart of the town, building a fortress to defend the city, and provide a mosque for prayer.
It extended from the Avenue of the Sea to Queen Street. The route crossed diagonally from the main gateway (at the beginning of Queen Street ) to Sortida or Socorro (at Socorro Street), passing through Pechina or Real de la Almedina street, which were within the preserved route of Caliphate medina.
This area can be best described as streets and alleys, where there were no free spaces for squares nor little squares. The squares are found around the Great Mosque, whereas the shopping district was formed for alhóndigas, souks and bazaars. Within here the Alcaicería (luxury shopping district) stood. The shipyard, located in the area of the current Atarazanas street, occupied an important space at the south-eastern tip of the medina. There were many neighbourhoods around this area, each with its small mosque, as in the case of existing in the current Hermitage of San Antón.
This huge beach, 1,900 meters long, occupies the entire coastline of the city of Aguadulce, from the marina to La Ventilla beach. Due to the quality of the water, the sand and the services that this beach has, it is accredited with the Blue Flag and Q for tourist quality. As it is located on the coast of the center of Aguadulce, it is one of the beaches with the highest bathing density in western Almería, in the summer. Parallel to its route, the city's seafront stretches, offering a wide variety of tourist offerings with restaurants, entertainment, drinks, ice cream, souvenir shops and beach items, etc.
From the Alcazaba, descend in a northward direction through the Barranco de la Hoya, a line of wall that reaches San Cristobal Hill, built during the time of King Jairán (1012-1028) in the eleventh century. Here are the remnants of the neighbourhood “amurallamiento musalla”, which descends from the hill via the main street Antonio Vico.
On the hill, known in Muslim times as Monte Laham, there are seven towers, three square Muslim towers and four semicircular Christian towers. These were built by the Templars of Alfonso VII, who constructed a strong-chapel following the Christian conquest of the city under the command of the troops of Alfonso VII in 1147.
On this hill, which has an impressive view of the city, and located on a large pedestal, is the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, constructed of local Macael marble. It was restored in 2000 and it is said to bless the city and the Mediterranean Sea. It was originally built in the twentieth century (around 1930).
Costacabana Beach is located near the seafront in the residential area of the same name. It is a beach of sand and small pebbles of 1,200 metres in length. It has some stone jetties that protect the coast from waves.
It can be reached Costacabana Beach departing from the Almeria coast in the east, by the extension of the promenade, also called Camino de la Ribera. After passing by the University of Almeria, we get to this neighbourhood.
The museum, recently reconstructed modern building, located on the Carretera de Ronda, houses inter esantesfondos with valuable works from prehistory to the Muslim period.
In addition, the museum was awarded the European Museum of the Year Award in 2008, and inside, in addition to continuous exposure other activities such as conferences, exhibitions and festivals are held.
Garrofa beach is the last on the westward coast of the city of Almeria.
It is a cove of just over 100 metres long pebbled with normally clear water. It is located between cliffs and next to the camping of the same name, through which one must pass to access the beach.
This beach has a diving club and own camping facilities that are prepared for both tents and caravans.
The Museum of Spanish Guitar ‘Antonio de Torres’ is more than a museum space, an exhibition and information center that will allow visitors to learn in a fun and easy way primary keys of one of the most popular musical instruments around the world as is the guitar.
The most played and produced in the history of world music instrument comes from the hand of its maximum precursor, the luthier Antonio Torres, considered the father of contemporary guitar. Therefore, among the objectives of this project the Culture of the City of Almería as the main driving force behind the same aims that visitors actively participate in the museum itself and, by extension, in the cultural life of the city of Almeria.
The Museum offers participants much more than a simple succession of pieces, it is a surprising, relevant, educational, interactive and attractive cultural space, open to the public and visitors.
The Andalusian Center of Photography, belonging to the Ministry of Culture of the Government of Andalusia, was established in 1992 to be the custodian of the photographic collections of the Imagine project and at the same time, to continue the work of promoting and disseminating photography both nationally and internationally.
The Centro Andaluz de la Fotografía proposes a permanent institutional offer to treat photography from an interdisciplinary perspective where they have room for treatment and study of the image from different approaches.
In October 2007 the new headquarters of the Andalusian Center of Photography in the old Liceo de Almeria, located in the historic center of the city was inaugurated. This building has been renovated and adapted to the needs of a photographic centre of the XXI century, which includes a large exhibition area of six hundred square meters, classrooms for workshops, living scanning, photographic set, library, screening room, archive, store and administrative offices.
There is no record of the date of the project or the name of the architect author. The only data found in the municipal archives and collected by the historian Emilio Villanueva (“Urbanism and Architecture in Modern Almería”) are proof that the new Apollo Theatre was built in 1881 on the site that had previously occupied the Teatro Calderón. At a time abounding recreational societies was one of them, the Society of Twenty, who promoted its construction becoming the first owner of the theatre.
In January 1984, the Directorate General of Architecture and Housing, Ministry of Public Works, Transport and Environment, commissioned the architect Angel Jaramillo Esteban, performing some previous studies for the rehabilitation of the building, and then in 1985 the corresponding project.The works managed by the Hon. Almería City Council, beginning in 1987 under the direction of the same architect and then for various reasons remain stalled between 1989 and 1992, were completed in 1993, having taken part in financing the ministries of Public Works, Transport and Environment and Culture and the Departments of Public Works and Transport and Culture and the Environment of the Junta de Andalucía
The mineral loading, called “English Cable”, is located in the Playa de las Almadrabillas, dockside lift and the terminal of a branch of the railway. It was originally owned by British mining company “The Alquife Mines Railway Limited” (hence its name), which won the concession in 1901, immediately undertaking the construction in 1902.
It is an example and a masterpiece of iron architecture of the early twentieth century. Its construction is possible due to the construction of the port and railway, moving its construction in the current eclectic but introducing a new architectural language characterized by the use of new materials, such as iron. Its surroundings form the beach and a bridge link with the railway station.
It consists of two parts: access linking the railway station with the landing, and the pier itself through which the trains could unload directly into the hold of the ships. Your access begins at the terminal of the railway, whose middle section rests in large arches on pillars of stone, separated by metal sections based on large iron beams. In 1998 he was declared of cultural interest for its historical, symbolic and aesthetic values.
You can access there through the Urbanization El Fraile Resort in the highroad Calabardina, where you can enjoy a wonderful panoramic view of Bahía and Isla del Fraile. The southern area of the beach is open and the eastern area is protected by the island, both, the beach and the island, separated by a 50m width and 1.5 deep narrow canals, dangerous for a swim in stormy days. The predominant eastern current increases its intensity when it arrives at the strait between island and beach, resulting in high quality, extraordinary transparent waters. During the whole summer is a meeting point of sports boats. Its surroundings are very rich in archaeological remains.
The creation of the Mariana Pineda European Centre for Women fulfils a threefold objective: honouring the memory of this famous woman with a great deal of popular support who symbolises the Constitutionalist Liberal cause in the 19th century; housing the offices of the Municipal Council for Women, which women's groups and associations have been demanding for some time, and opening up the space to the women of Granada, as a meeting point, a place of learning, a discussion forum and for projects that involve women from various countries to create a framework aimed at achieving gender equality.
In 1990 the first remains of what would be one of the most interesting monuments of the city of Cartagena were discovered accidentally. It is one of the largest and most comprehensive theatres throughout Spain.
It was built in 44 BC when Octavian Augustus was emperor and Cartagena was a Roman colony (Colonia Urbs Nova Carthago) going through a period of high population and economic development; at that time it was called Carthago Nova. From its location, the theatre has witnessed different periods of the history of Cartagena, since the Roman Empire, up to the present, overlapping constructions of each of the historical periods. The Roman Theatre faithfully followed the theatre model proposed by Vitruvius. It was built almost entirely in the rock on a hill.
ARQUA Museo Nacional de Arqueología Subacuática is the institution in charge of studying, valuing, investigating, preserving, disseminating and protecting the Spanish underwater cultural heritage. It is also home to the Permanent Observatory for the National Plan for the Protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage.
These tasks are carried out in collaboration with the different regional governments and its research centres and in cooperation with the States who partner with the UNESCO Convention.
Furthermore, the ARQUA has recently taken charge of the Odyssey’s treasure. The Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes frigate collection, which consists of more than 570,000 gold and silver coins from the late 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century.
The most important temple in the Region is a magnificent merge of styles, a catalogue of stone which summarizes more than six centuries of art and history.
Its construction began in 1394 over the remains of an old Arabic mosque and in 1462 its vaults were finished. The oldest entrance is La Puerta de Los Apóstoles (the door of the Apostles). Its only storefront is flanked by pointed archivolts with statues of the apostles on it. La Puerta de las Cadenas( the door of the Chains) dates from 1513 and has original pilasters and archivolts.
From the 15th century dates the Capilla de Los Vélez covered by a ten-pointed star vault and profusely decorated. Another famous chapel is that of Junterón, whose oval ground plan is covered by an extremely original vault.
Its baroque main façade (Imafronte), Jaime Bort¿s work, is an exaltation of Levantine art (the 18th century eastern Spain art). It is divided as an altarpiece into two parts and three vertical sections. The tower, divided into five parts, is 92 meters high. Its construction started in 1511 and the fifth body hosts twenty-five church bells
With more than 150 years of history, the eclectic building of the Romea Theater is one of the most important cultural references of the city. Built after an earlier one that suffered two fires, the current theater was inaugurated in 1900 thanks to the architect Justo Millán.
On the Islamic-Mudejar palace of the Emir of Murcia, Ibn Hud, the monastery of Santa Clara was founded, which since 1365 houses the Clarisas nuns. In this building come several centuries of history and different cultures such as Islamic, Gothic and Baroque. The museum space and the nuns coexist in total harmony.
It conserves one of the oldest Arabic pools in Spain.
Anyone who loves nature and places untouched by the human hand will find the Almadenes Canyon a landscape of singular beauty. On the other hand, there is a rich biodiversity of flora including poplars, ashes and willows and wildlife such as the eagle owl, the short-toed Eagle and the otter. In this attractive touristic enclave, you can pursue adventure sports such as trekking, canyoning, and of course, the river descent by inflatable boat or kayak which offers every visitor the opportunity to travel down the river irrespective of their age or physical fitness.
Protected natural beach of high landscape value. This beach is located within the regional park Parque Regional de Calblanque, one of the best preserved unspoilt natural landscapes on the coast. Its enormous natural wealth is based on its arid mountains, its long, ocher and golden-colored beaches as well as its lonely coves, the formation of its fossil dunes, its white salt lakes and its mountain massifs, which contrast with the blue sea.
Better known as the Cistercian Abbey, it was built in 1878 by Jerónimo Cuervo and restored in 1990. The Church has a beautiful choir and tribune behind the chancel, an example of sacred convent art where the most obvious sign is its simple, bright façade topped by an original 18th Century statue of Santa Ana in terracotta.
16th - 18th centuries. The Bishop's Palace is a series of buildings that were joined while being built until the large block was completed in the 18th century that took up the whole of the block. It features the impressive Baroque façade facing the Plaza del Obispo.
The underground cavity has the longest horizontal run of the Region of Murcia and its more than 700 meters long. It has different astonishing rooms and spectacular rock formations with
three fantastic audiovisual shows.
Locution and synchronized lighting with LED technology and exciting walkways all provided. Also specialized guides for excursions.
The Cueva del Puerto Reception Centre of Calasparra has a cafeteria, a multipurpose hall also used for conferences, interpretative room, terraces for activities, parking lots, cave tourism centre, etc.
Protected natural beach with sand dunes and salt lakes. It is located in the regional park Parque Regional de las Salinas y Arenales de San Pedro del Pinatar, between the beaches Playa de Las Salinas and Punta de Algas. This is the first one of the beaches that can be found in La Llana, as well as the only place where some shaded areas can be found, in the shelter of a group of palm trees.
It was built by Henry II of Trastámara as a means of defence against his brother Peter I (Peter the Cruel). It lies on what was once an Arabian castle.
It has a Latin cross plan with three arms formed by square towers joined by quarter cylinders and finished off with crenellations. It comprises of 8 rooms and houses the three cultures museum. It lies next to the Roman bridge and has been the site of many a battle. It houses the Museo Vivo de Al-Andalus (Al-Andalus Living Museum), by the Paradigma Cordoba Foundation.
This bridge connecting the city with Calahorra Tower is believed to have been built in the era of Augustus.
In 918 it underwent major changes. It played an important role in the city's battles against the armies of Peter I, the Cruel. It has 16 arches supported by robust spurs with semi cylindrical buttresses. It is built in Flemish bond. In the centre there is a sculpture of San Rafael from 1651.
It is rectangular and follows the model of the traditional Castilian Plaza Mayor square. It is the only one in Andalusia with these characteristics. During the reconstruction works, magnificent Roman mosaics were found. These can be seen in the Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos Fortress.
The Great Mosque of Cordoba is a mixture of architectural styles superimposed on one another over the nine centuries its construction and renovations lasted.
Standing in the historic centre, it is one of the most beautiful examples of Muslim art in Spain. It was built in 785 by the Muslim emir Abdurrahman I, on the site of the ancient Visigoth church of San Vicente. The mosque underwent consecutive extensions over later centuries. Abdurrahman III had a new minaret built whilst in 961 Al-Hakam II extended the ground plan and decorated the "mihrab" (prayer niche). The last renovation was carried out by Al-Mansur in 987. As a result, the interior resembles a labyrinth of beautiful columns with double arcades and horseshoe arches. After the Christian conquest in 1523, the cathedral was built inside, and features highlights such as the main altarpiece, the Baroque altarpiece and the mahogany choir stalls. The "mihrab" is considered one of the most important in the Muslim world, and is the finest piece in the mosque. The decoration is Byzantine mosaic with crafted marble. The courtyard of the Orange Trees leads to the complex.
This building was the royal residence of the Christian monarchs and subsequently the site of the Courts of the Holy Offices, a civil prison, and finally a military prison. It is set among magnificent gardens, including the garden known as the Avenue of the Monarchs which features statues of all the monarchs who had connections with the palace-fortress. It was declared a Historical Monument in 1931. The building is also part of the area declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1994. Since 1986, its gardens have been protected by town planning laws. It stands on top of the remains of the former caliph's palace.
This palace museum has an extensive collection of items from Cordoba including furniture and coffered objects.
Of particular note is the staircase which gives access to the upper floor. This stately mansion was originally a single building that was extended with the adjoining buildings, and today occupies a large area with a predominance of courtyards and gardens.
The Caliph Abd al-Rahman III was a great promoter of culture and a skilful politician who transformed his dominions into the most prosperous lands in the West at the time, comparable only with Baghdad and Byzantium.
The city of Medina Azahara has a practically rectangular floor plan. It was built on raked terraces which made use of the slope of the mountainside. Each terrace was separated from the others by walls, which divided the city into three parts. The Alcázar Real palace is located on the highest and intermediate levels, while the lower part stood outside the walls and was used for dwellings and the mosque. There are still remnants of tiled borders, paintings and columns in the composite and Corinthian styles. Visitors should not miss a visit to the two recently restored rooms. It was declared a National Monument in 1923.
To conclude the visit, the archaeological site also has a visitor centre which serves as a starting point for the tour. The centre is located underground in the style of an archaeological site, and features a collection of exhibits from the most important periods in the history of Medina Azahara. The tour of the visitor centre lasts about one hour and includes audiovisual shows, and continues with a visit to the archaeological site (which can be reached by bus from the same building).
This museum combines art and multimedia exhibits in tribute to the immortal character created by Miguel de Cervantes. The different exhibitions in the centre are dedicated to Cervantes' famous novel, Don Quixote. Here you can see a montage in which 10 characters from the novel have a conversation.
The town of Mdiq, a former fishing village is known for its sandy beaches. The sea is calm and the temperature of the water encourages bathing throughout the year. It has all the necessary infrastructure to enjoy a region that has all the assets of a true seaside resort.
If this is your first visit, you should take a long walk through the old Medina, it's very entertaining, full of life, and apart from learning history and Tetuan culture, you can buy genuine local crafts. The Tetouan Medina is a UNESCO World Heritage place and it's well worth it!
The Medina of Tetouan has a strong argument, it was declared in 1997 World Heritage by Unesco. It is distinguished by the whiteness of the walls of its houses, color that earned him the nickname of 'White Dove'.
Its medina is a maze of narrow streets and scenes of the most curious, intersecting conversations and charming small crafts shops with a special lifestyle punctuated by an extraordinary historical and cultural heritage.
The Museum of Mediterranean Cultures Kasbah Museum is located in one of the historic districts of the city. This museum has seen its interior layout and its rejuvenated collection. It offers a route of Tangier and its region through the mazes of time, from prehistory to the nineteenth century.
Enjoy the visit to the brave cattle ranch of TORRESTRELLA in the Los Alburejos Estate of Alvaro Domecq. In the best theater imaginable, in the freedom of the Andalusian countryside, you will know a day in the life of these magnificent animals.
The visit starts with a nice 700 meters walk discovering the fauna and flora of the andalusian countryside while you will see the bulls in freedom and the oxen. At the bull route, In the best environment you can imagine,open land, and seating in a comfortable grandstand you will discover the life of these wonderful animals: the brave bulls, the cows with the stallion bull and their calves, the mares and foals, the oxen, the riders and horses performing andalusian and classical dressage.