active-pinPinned places
active-place

Museums, Theaters, Architecture in Rabat

Countries:

Morocco
unpinned
The Kasbah of the Udayas
The Kasbah of the Udayas and its Andalusian garden, the Chellah necropolis, the green belt, the Ibn Sina forest and the test gardens are perfect expressions of this spirit. Plus there is the Rabat zoo, where animals live in faithful recreations of their natural habitats.
Have we missed one?
You can add a new place,
sight, landmark, attraction,
things to see
Add a Place
Explore more places related to this search:
unpinned
Casa Port Station
ONCF is the national rail service in Morocco with a total of 669,637 passenger cars serving 1,893 kilometers of track. ONCF provides over 9,767 thousand people with jobs and has thousands of passengers using its services every year. Every two hours there is a train leaving one of the many stations in Morocco providing passengers with reasonably good rail service. In Casablanca, ONCF has established two rail stations: Casa Voyageurs and Casa Port. These two stations are only five kilometers away from each other. Casa Voyageurs is the bigger of the two stations and provides all the long distance train trips around Morocco as well as in and out of the country. The smaller station, Casa Port, is situated near the port in Casablanca and serves mainly passenger or commuter trains coming from the city of Kenitra to Casablanca. Casa Port Station also serves trains that connect to Casa Voyageurs Station. Trains leaving Casa Port and Casa Voyageurs Stations provide passengers with a relaxing trip to whatever destination they are going. You get a wonderful opportunity to see the Moroccan landscape in all its varied forms. You will see from dry country landscapes, urban cities, tropical palms and mountainous areas. It really is a treat, so if there is a destination or a friend you want to visit, then head on down to Casa Port Station and buy your tickets.
unpinned
Hassan II Mosque
The Hassan II Mosque is the second largest mosque in the world and is located in Casablanca, the economic and business capital of Morocco. Michel Pinseau, a French architect, designed the Hassan Mosque and its accompanying minaret. Pinseau designed the building in such a way that it is able to endure earthquakes. At night the minaret has lasers that shine in the direction of Mecca. Today, the minaret is considered the tallest in the world, standing at 689 feet or 210 meters. The mosque stands on a prominent piece of land that rises up on the shore of the Atlantic and provides visitors with the most spectacular views of the ocean. It was decided by King Hassan II that the mosque should be built on this location because of a verse found in the Qur’an, which says that God’s throne was built over the water. The King wanted worshippers to be able to see God’s creations like the ocean and the sea.
unpinned
Kasbah Museum
The Museum of Mediterranean Cultures Kasbah Museum is located in one of the historic districts of the city. This museum has seen its interior layout and its rejuvenated collection. It offers a route of Tangier and its region through the mazes of time, from prehistory to the nineteenth century.
unpinned
The Medina of Tetouan
The Medina of Tetouan has a strong argument, it was declared in 1997 World Heritage by Unesco. It is distinguished by the whiteness of the walls of its houses, color that earned him the nickname of 'White Dove'. Its medina is a maze of narrow streets and scenes of the most curious, intersecting conversations and charming small crafts shops with a special lifestyle punctuated by an extraordinary historical and cultural heritage.
unpinned
The Old Medina
If this is your first visit, you should take a long walk through the old Medina, it's very entertaining, full of life, and apart from learning history and Tetuan culture, you can buy genuine local crafts. The Tetouan Medina is a UNESCO World Heritage place and it's well worth it!
unpinned
Berber Museum
it is in the workshop of Jacques Majorelle that the Berber Museum was inaugurated in 2011 under the high Patronage of his Majesty king Mohamed Vi. it presents a panorama of the extraordinary creativity of this people, the oldest in North africa. from the rif to the sahara, more than 600 objects collected by Pierre Bergé and Yves saint laurent attest to the richness and diversity of a culture that is still alive. The museum unfolds in four distinct spaces, articulated around as many themes. The history and geography of the Berbers (amazighs) of Morocco, as well as a cartography of the most significant tribes, are presented: a rich audiovisual documentation accompanies the visitors throughout their visit.
unpinned
Perfume Museum
This museum promises to make us live a unique experience. form the distillation of floral waters to the extraction of vegetable and essential oils, including the collections of rare objects being of use to the creation of perfumes, those of medicinal and aromatic plants used in the hammam rite, we discover the Moroccan ancestral know-how regarding perfume shop. in addition to its exhibitions, it proposes recreational activities and workshops to understand better this universe so particular.
unpinned
Ben Youssef Madrasa
Right in the heart of the medina, the Ben Youssef Medersa, one of the biggest medersas in the Maghreb, is one of the most remarkable historical monuments in Marrakesh and is worth a visit. it was built in the 16th century by the saadian abd allah al ghalib, which is confirmed by the inscriptions on the lintel of the entrance gate and on the capitals of the prayer room. Created on a 1,680-sq.m quadrilateral plan, the medersa used to accommodate 130 students rooms over two floors around an interior patio leading to the prayer room.
unpinned
Jemaa El Fna Square
There is nowhere in Morocco like the Jemaa el Fna Square – no place that so easily involves you and allows you to stay coming back for more. By day, most of the place is just a large open space, where a handful of snakes charming bewitched their cobras with flutes, medical men (especially in the north-east of the square) display cures and Panaceous, and tooth-pullers, wielding fearsome claws, offering to wrest pain from the heads of people suffering from toothache, trays of extracts attesting molars their skills. It's only in the afternoon that the square really happens. At dusk, as in France and Spain, people go out for a walk early evening (especially in the street Bab Agnaou), and the place fills up little by little until it becomes a carnival all of storytellers, Acrobats, musicians and artists. Go down and you will soon be immersed in the ritual: wandering around, crouching in the midst of spectator circles, giving a dirham or two as your contribution. If you want a break, you can walk to the rooftop terraces, such as the Grand Balcon Café, for a view of the square, its storytellers and musicians, and the crowds that come to see them.
unpinned
El Bahia Palace
“Bahia”: literally, the marvellous, the brilliant, this name probably refers to the favourite wife of Ba ahmed, the grand vizier who had the palace built. The plans were designed by the Marrakchi architect si Mohamed el Mekki el Mesfioui, like a real labyrinth reflecting the whims of a powerful man. The best Moroccan and andalousian craftsmen worked on this palace for fourteen years. The tiles were imported from Tetouan, the marble from Meknes while the cedar wood used for the painted and shimmering ceilings came from the atlas.
unpinned
The Koutoubia Mosque
One of the most spectacular monuments in Marrakesh and one of the most beautiful mosques in the western Muslim world. Marked by a complex history, it is actually a double sanctuary with a minaret. The first koutoubia was inaugurated in 1157 and the second one as well as the minaret were built a year later on the initiative of abdelmoumen. The two sanctuaries are distinguished by the T-plan giving great importance to the wall of the qibla (orientation of the prayer). outlined against the landscape, the 77-m ashlar minaret has a ramp which leads to the top, soberly decorated with carvings and white and green tiles on the upper parts of the façade and the pinnacle.
unpinned
El Badi Palace
Dar el Badii, the unrivalled palace was built between 1578 and 1603 by Yacoub el Mansour, an almohade ruler. The richest raw materials, some of which came from india were chosen for its construction: gold, onyx, italian marble…The andalusian influence in the plans of the palace is undeniable and one may think that the unknown architect must have come from granada. an almost absolute symetry was imposed in the plan of this magnificent residence completely built on arches with extremely solid bricks. The interior gardens, called gardens of desire, of which only an immense esplanade remains today with artificial lakes and orange trees, are surrounded by the ruins of the palace and high walls on which a multitude of storks is nestled.
unpinned
The Saadian Tombs
The royal necropolis of the saadian family, a first series of funeral chambers was created after the burial of Prince Mohamed Cheikh in 1557. his son had a koubba erected, known as koubbat lalla Messaouda, where he was himself buried in1574. in 1591, ahmed el Mansour had his mother buried there. his three successors also lie there. a second edifice was raised, with a central room called the room of the twelve columns, it houses the sultan ahmed el Mansour’s grave, the mirhab room, the room with the three alcoves. another space is reserved to children’s graves. all the rooms are exquisitely decorated.
unpinned
Alcazar of Jerez de la Frontera
The Alcázar de Jerez one of the most emblematic monuments of the city. Located in the southeast corner of the walled enclosure, forming a complex defensive system with the walls, towers and gates. The term alcazar, comes from Arabic, al-qasr and defines a set of buildings, surrounded by walls, which were the seat of political and military power. Fortress-palace with autonomous operation, a small city, seat of power that governed the city and its territory. From the original Islamic fortress, the two doors are preserved; the mosque, the Arab baths; the octagonal tower and the Pavilion of the Doña Blanca patio, located at the foot of this tower.
unpinned
Jerez de la Frontera Cathedral
The long period of time over which it was built caused a variety of styles to be integrated into the structure of this cathedral. It was built as a Collegiate Church, since Jerez did not have a bishopric until 1980. Building began in 1695 and lasted until 1778. Participating architects included Diego Moreno Meléndez, Rodrigo del Pozo, Diego Díaz, Juan de Pina, Torcuato Cayón de la Vega, Juan de Vargas and Pedro Ángel de Albizu. The building has a rectangular plan, with five naves. It is Baroque in style.
unpinned
Joaquin Rivero Collection
The Pinacoteca de Bodegas Tradición is made up of a selection of works belonging to the Joaquín Rivero Collection of Spanish painting. As of June 2006, a winery warehouse, after a laborious work of conditioning, will permanently house such important works, so that any visitor can enjoy them. The Joaquín Rivero Collection is one of the most important exhibited in Andalusia. Its fundamental characteristic is that it brings together more than 300 works of great masters of Spanish painting in a collection of private art, from the 15th to the 19th centuries. In it are represented all the important artistic movements that have been produced throughout the history of Spanish painting, as well as the authors who by their own significance make up the artistic scene of the moment: Zurbarán, Velázquez, Hiepes, Labrador, Valdés Leal, Goya, Maella, Lucas Velázquez, Madrazo, Lucas Villamil, Carlos de Haes and many other authors that will allow our visitors to walk through the history of Spain through his painting.
unpinned
The Cloisters of Santo Domingo
In 1264 the troops of Alfonso X conquer Jerez definitively to the Muslims. At that time, the monarch gave the Dominicans a military building of Islamic origin located in front of the door of Seville, to found their convent there. The first century of existence of the monastery of Santo Domingo had to be very hard, since the attacks by the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada and its North African allies were constant. The convent of Santo Domingo remained a united group until 1835, when the different confiscations of the liberal governments of Isabel's reign decreed the exclaustration and seizure of the assets of the convent. Although the church remained open to worship, the cloisters were sold. In the beginning, the owners were Los González, an important family of winemakers from Santander Mountain, who installed here the so-called Museum of Santo Domingo, a kind of trinket in which works of art, furniture and other decorative objects were sold. Then the complex became the property of the Díez family, who installed a cellar in the old bedroom and made a series of somewhat aggressive works with the monument. Los Dietros sold Los Claustros to the Rumasa holding company, which was expropriated in 1983, becoming the property of the City Council, which used it as cultural equipment for years. In 1999 the complex was closed for restoration, reopening its doors in 2012.
unpinned
The Capela Dos Ossos
The strangest sight of Faro, which is hidden away from the main tourist route, is the Capela Dos Ossos, the bone chapel. The bones of the overcrowded cemeteries were stored in the small chapel that is located within the Carmo church complex. These bones were incorporated into the designs of the chapel, with skulls lining the walls – very strange and creepy.
unpinned
The Palacio de Estoi
The pink Estoi Palace is the finest example of Rococo architecture found within the Algarve, while the carefully maintained grounds contain beautiful Azulejos tiles.
unpinned
Episcopal Palace
16th - 18th centuries. The Bishop's Palace is a series of buildings that were joined while being built until the large block was completed in the 18th century that took up the whole of the block. It features the impressive Baroque façade facing the Plaza del Obispo.
unpinned
Santa Ana Abbey
Better known as the Cistercian Abbey, it was built in 1878 by Jerónimo Cuervo and restored in 1990. The Church has a beautiful choir and tribune behind the chancel, an example of sacred convent art where the most obvious sign is its simple, bright façade topped by an original 18th Century statue of Santa Ana in terracotta.
unpinned
Museo del Patrimonio Municipal
Here is a permanent display of a selection from the historic and artistic Municipal Heritage. Paintings, sculptures and graphic works including works by Picasso or Carlos Haes.
unpinned
Suspension bridge
Suspension bridge just outside of Portimao which caries the main EN125 road over the River Arade
unpinned
Igreja Velha
The Igreja Velha or old church in Portimão is well known in the city.
unpinned
The Archaeological Museum
The Archaeological Museum of Seville has its origins at the end of the 19th century, when a public collection of antiquities was created, most of it taken from the Roman city Italica.
unpinned
Church of divine Salvador
The Salvador is a religious temple for Roman Catholic worship under the patronage of Our Lord San Salvador, located in the Plaza del Salvador in Seville and is the largest church in the city, after the Cathedral. Deprived of its parish ranking after the latest restoration work, it currently functions as an exempt church, within the parish jurisdiction of San Isidro.
unpinned
The Casa de Pilatos
The Casa de Pilatos is a combination of Italian Renaissance styles and the Spanish Mudejar style. It is considered a prototype Andalusian palace. Construction of the palace began in 1483, at the initiative and desire of Pedro Enríquez de Quiñones (IV Adelantado Mayor of Andalusia) and his second wife, Catherine de Ribera, the founders of the Casa de Alcalá.
unpinned
The Cathedral of Granada
The Cathedral of Granada is to be understood in the context of the project for an imperial city envisaged by Emperor Charles V.
unpinned
House of Mariana Pineda
The creation of the Mariana Pineda European Centre for Women fulfils a threefold objective: honouring the memory of this famous woman with a great deal of popular support who symbolises the Constitutionalist Liberal cause in the 19th century; housing the offices of the Municipal Council for Women, which women's groups and associations have been demanding for some time, and opening up the space to the women of Granada, as a meeting point, a place of learning, a discussion forum and for projects that involve women from various countries to create a framework aimed at achieving gender equality.
unpinned
Medina Azahara
The Caliph Abd al-Rahman III was a great promoter of culture and a skilful politician who transformed his dominions into the most prosperous lands in the West at the time, comparable only with Baghdad and Byzantium. The city of Medina Azahara has a practically rectangular floor plan. It was built on raked terraces which made use of the slope of the mountainside. Each terrace was separated from the others by walls, which divided the city into three parts. The Alcázar Real palace is located on the highest and intermediate levels, while the lower part stood outside the walls and was used for dwellings and the mosque. There are still remnants of tiled borders, paintings and columns in the composite and Corinthian styles. Visitors should not miss a visit to the two recently restored rooms. It was declared a National Monument in 1923. To conclude the visit, the archaeological site also has a visitor centre which serves as a starting point for the tour. The centre is located underground in the style of an archaeological site, and features a collection of exhibits from the most important periods in the history of Medina Azahara. The tour of the visitor centre lasts about one hour and includes audiovisual shows, and continues with a visit to the archaeological site (which can be reached by bus from the same building).
unpinned
Alcazar Fortress Cordoba
This building was the royal residence of the Christian monarchs and subsequently the site of the Courts of the Holy Offices, a civil prison, and finally a military prison. It is set among magnificent gardens, including the garden known as the Avenue of the Monarchs which features statues of all the monarchs who had connections with the palace-fortress. It was declared a Historical Monument in 1931. The building is also part of the area declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1994. Since 1986, its gardens have been protected by town planning laws. It stands on top of the remains of the former caliph's palace.
unpinned
Calahorra Tower
It was built by Henry II of Trastámara as a means of defence against his brother Peter I (Peter the Cruel). It lies on what was once an Arabian castle. It has a Latin cross plan with three arms formed by square towers joined by quarter cylinders and finished off with crenellations. It comprises of 8 rooms and houses the three cultures museum. It lies next to the Roman bridge and has been the site of many a battle. It houses the Museo Vivo de Al-Andalus (Al-Andalus Living Museum), by the Paradigma Cordoba Foundation.