The Kasbah of the Udayas and its Andalusian garden, the Chellah necropolis, the green belt, the Ibn Sina forest and the test gardens are perfect expressions of this spirit. Plus there is the Rabat zoo, where animals live in faithful recreations of their natural habitats.
ONCF is the national rail service in Morocco with a total of 669,637 passenger cars serving 1,893 kilometers of track. ONCF provides over 9,767 thousand people with jobs and has thousands of passengers using its services every year. Every two hours there is a train leaving one of the many stations in Morocco providing passengers with reasonably good rail service.
In Casablanca, ONCF has established two rail stations: Casa Voyageurs and Casa Port. These two stations are only five kilometers away from each other. Casa Voyageurs is the bigger of the two stations and provides all the long distance train trips around Morocco as well as in and out of the country. The smaller station, Casa Port, is situated near the port in Casablanca and serves mainly passenger or commuter trains coming from the city of Kenitra to Casablanca. Casa Port Station also serves trains that connect to Casa Voyageurs Station.
Trains leaving Casa Port and Casa Voyageurs Stations provide passengers with a relaxing trip to whatever destination they are going. You get a wonderful opportunity to see the Moroccan landscape in all its varied forms. You will see from dry country landscapes, urban cities, tropical palms and mountainous areas. It really is a treat, so if there is a destination or a friend you want to visit, then head on down to Casa Port Station and buy your tickets.
The Hassan II Mosque is the second largest mosque in the world and is located in Casablanca, the economic and business capital of Morocco. Michel Pinseau, a French architect, designed the Hassan Mosque and its accompanying minaret. Pinseau designed the building in such a way that it is able to endure earthquakes. At night the minaret has lasers that shine in the direction of Mecca. Today, the minaret is considered the tallest in the world, standing at 689 feet or 210 meters.
The mosque stands on a prominent piece of land that rises up on the shore of the Atlantic and provides visitors with the most spectacular views of the ocean. It was decided by King Hassan II that the mosque should be built on this location because of a verse found in the Qur’an, which says that God’s throne was built over the water. The King wanted worshippers to be able to see God’s creations like the ocean and the sea.
The Museum of Mediterranean Cultures Kasbah Museum is located in one of the historic districts of the city. This museum has seen its interior layout and its rejuvenated collection. It offers a route of Tangier and its region through the mazes of time, from prehistory to the nineteenth century.
If this is your first visit, you should take a long walk through the old Medina, it's very entertaining, full of life, and apart from learning history and Tetuan culture, you can buy genuine local crafts. The Tetouan Medina is a UNESCO World Heritage place and it's well worth it!
Right in the heart of the medina, the Ben Youssef Medersa, one of the biggest medersas in the Maghreb, is one of the most remarkable historical monuments in Marrakesh and is worth a visit. it was built in the 16th century by the saadian abd allah al ghalib, which is confirmed by the inscriptions on the lintel of the entrance gate and on the capitals of the prayer room. Created on a 1,680-sq.m quadrilateral plan, the medersa used to accommodate 130 students rooms over two floors around an interior patio leading to the prayer room.
“Bahia”: literally, the marvellous, the brilliant, this name probably refers to the favourite wife of Ba ahmed, the grand vizier who had the palace built. The plans were designed by the Marrakchi architect si Mohamed el Mekki el Mesfioui, like a real labyrinth reflecting the whims of a powerful man. The best Moroccan and andalousian craftsmen worked on this palace for fourteen years. The tiles were imported from Tetouan, the marble from Meknes while the cedar wood used for the painted and shimmering ceilings came from the atlas.
One of the most spectacular monuments in Marrakesh and one of the most beautiful mosques in the western Muslim world. Marked by a complex history, it is actually a double sanctuary with a minaret. The first koutoubia was inaugurated in 1157 and the second one as well as the minaret were built a year later on the initiative of abdelmoumen. The two sanctuaries are distinguished by the T-plan giving great importance to the wall of the qibla (orientation of the prayer). outlined against the landscape, the 77-m ashlar minaret has a ramp which leads to the top, soberly decorated with carvings and white and green tiles on the upper parts of the façade and the pinnacle.
Dar el Badii, the unrivalled palace was built between 1578 and 1603 by Yacoub el Mansour, an almohade ruler. The richest raw materials, some of which came from india were chosen for its construction: gold, onyx, italian marble…The andalusian influence in the plans of the palace is undeniable and one may think that the unknown architect must have come from granada. an almost absolute symetry was imposed in the plan of this magnificent residence completely built on arches with extremely solid bricks. The interior gardens, called gardens of desire, of which only an immense esplanade remains today with artificial lakes and orange trees, are surrounded by the ruins of the palace and high walls on which a multitude of storks is nestled.
The royal necropolis of the saadian family, a first series of funeral chambers was created after the burial of Prince Mohamed Cheikh in 1557. his son had a koubba erected, known as koubbat lalla Messaouda, where he was himself buried in1574. in 1591, ahmed el Mansour had his mother buried there. his three successors also lie there. a second edifice was raised, with a central room called the room of the twelve columns, it houses the sultan ahmed el Mansour’s grave, the mirhab room, the room with the three alcoves. another space is reserved to children’s graves. all the rooms are exquisitely decorated.
The Alcázar de Jerez one of the most emblematic monuments of the city. Located in the southeast corner of the walled enclosure, forming a complex defensive system with the walls, towers and gates.
The term alcazar, comes from Arabic, al-qasr and defines a set of buildings, surrounded by walls, which were the seat of political and military power. Fortress-palace with autonomous operation, a small city, seat of power that governed the city and its territory.
From the original Islamic fortress, the two doors are preserved; the mosque, the Arab baths; the octagonal tower and the Pavilion of the Doña Blanca patio, located at the foot of this tower.
The long period of time over which it was built caused a variety of styles to be integrated into the structure of this cathedral.
It was built as a Collegiate Church, since Jerez did not have a bishopric until 1980. Building began in 1695 and lasted until 1778. Participating architects included Diego Moreno Meléndez, Rodrigo del Pozo, Diego Díaz, Juan de Pina, Torcuato Cayón de la Vega, Juan de Vargas and Pedro Ángel de Albizu. The building has a rectangular plan, with five naves. It is Baroque in style.
In 1264 the troops of Alfonso X conquer Jerez definitively to the Muslims. At that time, the monarch gave the Dominicans a military building of Islamic origin located in front of the door of Seville, to found their convent there. The first century of existence of the monastery of Santo Domingo had to be very hard, since the attacks by the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada and its North African allies were constant.
The convent of Santo Domingo remained a united group until 1835, when the different confiscations of the liberal governments of Isabel's reign decreed the exclaustration and seizure of the assets of the convent. Although the church remained open to worship, the cloisters were sold. In the beginning, the owners were Los González, an important family of winemakers from Santander Mountain, who installed here the so-called Museum of Santo Domingo, a kind of trinket in which works of art, furniture and other decorative objects were sold. Then the complex became the property of the Díez family, who installed a cellar in the old bedroom and made a series of somewhat aggressive works with the monument. Los Dietros sold Los Claustros to the Rumasa holding company, which was expropriated in 1983, becoming the property of the City Council, which used it as cultural equipment for years. In 1999 the complex was closed for restoration, reopening its doors in 2012.
The strangest sight of Faro, which is hidden away from the main tourist route, is the Capela Dos Ossos, the bone chapel. The bones of the overcrowded cemeteries were stored in the small chapel that is located within the Carmo church complex. These bones were incorporated into the designs of the chapel, with skulls lining the walls – very strange and creepy.
16th - 18th centuries. The Bishop's Palace is a series of buildings that were joined while being built until the large block was completed in the 18th century that took up the whole of the block. It features the impressive Baroque façade facing the Plaza del Obispo.
The Salvador is a religious temple for Roman Catholic worship under the patronage of Our Lord San Salvador, located in the Plaza del Salvador in Seville and is the largest church in the city, after the Cathedral. Deprived of its parish ranking after the latest restoration work, it currently functions as an exempt church, within the parish jurisdiction of San Isidro.
The Casa de Pilatos is a combination of Italian Renaissance styles and the Spanish Mudejar style. It is considered a prototype Andalusian palace. Construction of the palace began in 1483, at the initiative and desire of Pedro Enríquez de Quiñones (IV Adelantado Mayor of Andalusia) and his second wife, Catherine de Ribera, the founders of the Casa de Alcalá.
The creation of the Mariana Pineda European Centre for Women fulfils a threefold objective: honouring the memory of this famous woman with a great deal of popular support who symbolises the Constitutionalist Liberal cause in the 19th century; housing the offices of the Municipal Council for Women, which women's groups and associations have been demanding for some time, and opening up the space to the women of Granada, as a meeting point, a place of learning, a discussion forum and for projects that involve women from various countries to create a framework aimed at achieving gender equality.
The Caliph Abd al-Rahman III was a great promoter of culture and a skilful politician who transformed his dominions into the most prosperous lands in the West at the time, comparable only with Baghdad and Byzantium.
The city of Medina Azahara has a practically rectangular floor plan. It was built on raked terraces which made use of the slope of the mountainside. Each terrace was separated from the others by walls, which divided the city into three parts. The Alcázar Real palace is located on the highest and intermediate levels, while the lower part stood outside the walls and was used for dwellings and the mosque. There are still remnants of tiled borders, paintings and columns in the composite and Corinthian styles. Visitors should not miss a visit to the two recently restored rooms. It was declared a National Monument in 1923.
To conclude the visit, the archaeological site also has a visitor centre which serves as a starting point for the tour. The centre is located underground in the style of an archaeological site, and features a collection of exhibits from the most important periods in the history of Medina Azahara. The tour of the visitor centre lasts about one hour and includes audiovisual shows, and continues with a visit to the archaeological site (which can be reached by bus from the same building).
This building was the royal residence of the Christian monarchs and subsequently the site of the Courts of the Holy Offices, a civil prison, and finally a military prison. It is set among magnificent gardens, including the garden known as the Avenue of the Monarchs which features statues of all the monarchs who had connections with the palace-fortress. It was declared a Historical Monument in 1931. The building is also part of the area declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1994. Since 1986, its gardens have been protected by town planning laws. It stands on top of the remains of the former caliph's palace.
It was built by Henry II of Trastámara as a means of defence against his brother Peter I (Peter the Cruel). It lies on what was once an Arabian castle.
It has a Latin cross plan with three arms formed by square towers joined by quarter cylinders and finished off with crenellations. It comprises of 8 rooms and houses the three cultures museum. It lies next to the Roman bridge and has been the site of many a battle. It houses the Museo Vivo de Al-Andalus (Al-Andalus Living Museum), by the Paradigma Cordoba Foundation.
This bridge connecting the city with Calahorra Tower is believed to have been built in the era of Augustus.
In 918 it underwent major changes. It played an important role in the city's battles against the armies of Peter I, the Cruel. It has 16 arches supported by robust spurs with semi cylindrical buttresses. It is built in Flemish bond. In the centre there is a sculpture of San Rafael from 1651.
The Great Mosque of Cordoba is a mixture of architectural styles superimposed on one another over the nine centuries its construction and renovations lasted.
Standing in the historic centre, it is one of the most beautiful examples of Muslim art in Spain. It was built in 785 by the Muslim emir Abdurrahman I, on the site of the ancient Visigoth church of San Vicente. The mosque underwent consecutive extensions over later centuries. Abdurrahman III had a new minaret built whilst in 961 Al-Hakam II extended the ground plan and decorated the "mihrab" (prayer niche). The last renovation was carried out by Al-Mansur in 987. As a result, the interior resembles a labyrinth of beautiful columns with double arcades and horseshoe arches. After the Christian conquest in 1523, the cathedral was built inside, and features highlights such as the main altarpiece, the Baroque altarpiece and the mahogany choir stalls. The "mihrab" is considered one of the most important in the Muslim world, and is the finest piece in the mosque. The decoration is Byzantine mosaic with crafted marble. The courtyard of the Orange Trees leads to the complex.
It is rectangular and follows the model of the traditional Castilian Plaza Mayor square. It is the only one in Andalusia with these characteristics. During the reconstruction works, magnificent Roman mosaics were found. These can be seen in the Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos Fortress.
This palace museum has an extensive collection of items from Cordoba including furniture and coffered objects.
Of particular note is the staircase which gives access to the upper floor. This stately mansion was originally a single building that was extended with the adjoining buildings, and today occupies a large area with a predominance of courtyards and gardens.
The mineral loading, called “English Cable”, is located in the Playa de las Almadrabillas, dockside lift and the terminal of a branch of the railway. It was originally owned by British mining company “The Alquife Mines Railway Limited” (hence its name), which won the concession in 1901, immediately undertaking the construction in 1902.
It is an example and a masterpiece of iron architecture of the early twentieth century. Its construction is possible due to the construction of the port and railway, moving its construction in the current eclectic but introducing a new architectural language characterized by the use of new materials, such as iron. Its surroundings form the beach and a bridge link with the railway station.
It consists of two parts: access linking the railway station with the landing, and the pier itself through which the trains could unload directly into the hold of the ships. Your access begins at the terminal of the railway, whose middle section rests in large arches on pillars of stone, separated by metal sections based on large iron beams. In 1998 he was declared of cultural interest for its historical, symbolic and aesthetic values.
This is the original centre of the city. Abderramán III, Almería founded in 955 (10th century), by constructing a wall around the heart of the town, building a fortress to defend the city, and provide a mosque for prayer.
It extended from the Avenue of the Sea to Queen Street. The route crossed diagonally from the main gateway (at the beginning of Queen Street ) to Sortida or Socorro (at Socorro Street), passing through Pechina or Real de la Almedina street, which were within the preserved route of Caliphate medina.
This area can be best described as streets and alleys, where there were no free spaces for squares nor little squares. The squares are found around the Great Mosque, whereas the shopping district was formed for alhóndigas, souks and bazaars. Within here the Alcaicería (luxury shopping district) stood. The shipyard, located in the area of the current Atarazanas street, occupied an important space at the south-eastern tip of the medina. There were many neighbourhoods around this area, each with its small mosque, as in the case of existing in the current Hermitage of San Antón.
The Alcazaba, with its 1430 m. walled perimeter is Spain’s second-largest Muslim construction, after the Alhambra Palace in Granada. It was built at the behest of Abderrahman III in the tenth century after the founding of the city. It is a stronghold which housed three campuses; the first two Muslims and one Christian, last built after the conquest of the city by the Catholic Monarchs, which occurred in 1489.
The fortress is situated on a hill, overlooking the old centre of the city, the medina. In it, we find a first enclosure where there is a large garden and ponds constructed during the Muslim period.
The second area, the vast palatial residence of King Almotacín, stood during the eleventh century. This consisted of a public area, where today are the caliphate wells of the tenth century, a Christian arch of the 16th century. Finally, is the last enclosure of the fortress, Christian, and ordered to be built by the Catholic Monarchs, after the taking of the city. It is a Christian castle within the Muslim fortification.
There is no record of the date of the project or the name of the architect author. The only data found in the municipal archives and collected by the historian Emilio Villanueva (“Urbanism and Architecture in Modern Almería”) are proof that the new Apollo Theatre was built in 1881 on the site that had previously occupied the Teatro Calderón. At a time abounding recreational societies was one of them, the Society of Twenty, who promoted its construction becoming the first owner of the theatre.
In January 1984, the Directorate General of Architecture and Housing, Ministry of Public Works, Transport and Environment, commissioned the architect Angel Jaramillo Esteban, performing some previous studies for the rehabilitation of the building, and then in 1985 the corresponding project.The works managed by the Hon. Almería City Council, beginning in 1987 under the direction of the same architect and then for various reasons remain stalled between 1989 and 1992, were completed in 1993, having taken part in financing the ministries of Public Works, Transport and Environment and Culture and the Departments of Public Works and Transport and Culture and the Environment of the Junta de Andalucía
The museum, recently reconstructed modern building, located on the Carretera de Ronda, houses inter esantesfondos with valuable works from prehistory to the Muslim period.
In addition, the museum was awarded the European Museum of the Year Award in 2008, and inside, in addition to continuous exposure other activities such as conferences, exhibitions and festivals are held.
The bone chapel is the most ghoulish sight of Portugal and thus one of the most memorable monuments of Evora. Inside the small chapel, the walls are lined with bones of the long-deceased, exhumed from the city's graves as the city expanded to allow further burials.