The painting present the Battle of Racławice in April 1794, in which Poles won over Russians. The monumental picture is 114m long and 15m high.
It was the idea of Jan Styka, a painter from Lvov, who invited among others Wojciech Kossak, Tadeusz Popiel, Teodor Axentowicz, Włodzimierz Tetmajer to work on the painting.
The work took 9 months to finish. A rotunda with Panorama of the Battle of Racławice (Panorama Racławicka), built in Stryjeński Park, became one of the attractions of Lvov.
The technology applied by the authors can be compared to the contemporary 3D technology. Special, panoramic perspective, lighting and scenography constructed in front of the picture make it look multidimensional.
During the visit, the viewers can listen to the history of the painting and the events presented in 16 languages (including Korean, Japanese, Croatian and Esperanto). For blind people there is an audio description available. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/panorama-raclawicka-wroclaw
From 2009 the palace is the main building of the City Museum of Wrocław and presents, among others the exhibition “1000 years of Wrocław”.
The Royal Palace (Pałac Królewski) was called Spaetgen’s Palace, from the name of one of the first owners. In 1717 baron Heinrich G. Spaetgen bought a small baroque mansion close to Rynek. After his death in 1750, a Prussian King Frederick II bought the palace. It became a royal mansion, and Wrocław joined Berlin and Königsberg (today’s Kaliningrad) as a residence city.
The next Prussian kings extended the palace, changed its design and character. In the middle of the 19th century the palace extended itself from Wolności Square to Kazimierza Wielkiego Street. After the fall of the empire the palace was taken by the city authorities, in the 20s the Palace Museum was opened. During World War II the building was seriously damaged. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/royal-palace-historical-museum
Old Town Hall is a unique Gothic building in European architecture. It has 2 storeys, 3 parts with a rectangular building of the councils, which is attached to the northern wall and a square tower. Located in the city centre, it was being built for about 250 years (13 - 16th century). It used to serve as the seat of the city authorities and the court.
The oldest part of the Town Hall was built ca. 1299 (according to the sources). This part is called consistorium (Latin: place of gatherings) and now belongs to the building. The consistorium has two parts: the underground hall covered with the ceiling and the Western tower. After buying the rights of the voyt, the meaning of the Council was much bigger. The growing number of the Council members demanded a new building. In the years 1328-1333, near the consistorium a new, smaller building was built - praetorium (Latin: the seat of the leaders). The building is the northern part of the Town Hall, near the square with the whipping post.
Since the very beginning the Town Hall has witnessed many important historical events and has been a representative building where the authorities invited their honourable guests. This tradition is still alive. The most important world leaders, monarchs, clergy and artists have been invited into the Town Hall. In the cellar of the building there is one of the oldest restaurants in Europe - the legendary Piwnica Świdnicka. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/old-town-hall-in-wroclaw
Wrocław Afrykarium is the only theme oceanarium devoted solely to the African fauna. On average, 2.5 thousand people visit it on the weekdays.
The idea of Wrocław Afrykarium is to present the selected ecosystems of Africa, including: The Red Sea - the coral reef and the fish of the reef; The Red Sea beach - desert tortoises; The African Great Lakes (Tanganyika and Malawi) - about 50 various species of fish - cichlids; The Mozambique Channel - rays, hammerhead sharks, zebra sharks and many more. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/afrykarium
It is one of the most popular places for walks. Apart from a few hundreds of original plants, trees, bushes and flowers, there are also Japanese buildings: the gate and the tea pavilion.
One of the attractions of the Garden is a pond with enormous carps and other species of fish. The Garden often hosts events like tea perking, concerts and open-air happenings.
The Japanese Garden was created in the beginning of the 20th century, on the occasion of the Global Exhibition in 1913. It was an initiative of count Fritz von Hochberg, who employed a Japanese gardener Mankichi Arai. After the Exhibition it was dismantled but the plants and the arrangement of alleys and the pond remained the same.
The idea of renewing the Japanese Garden in Wrocław appeared in the 90s. The reconstruction lasted three years, the specialists from Japan came to assist, but the Garden did not survived for long. Two months after the inauguration, the Garden was destroyed by the flood. 70% of the plants were lost. The next opening of the Japanese enclave took place in October 1999. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/japanese-garden-wroclaw
The park with an area exceeding one hundred hectares is outstretched between Różyckiego, Paderewskiego, Kopernika and Olszewskiego streets.
The first park in this place was established by L. Hohenlohe, the commander of the city garrison, in the area of the then-existing village of Szczytniki in the suburbs of Wrocław in 1783.
The park with an area of 16 hectares was maintained in English style, but it was heavily destroyed by Napoleon’s soldiers in 1806. In 1833, the recreational areas in this part of the city were enlarged – not only did the park become bigger, but also a racing track was created south of it and functioned there till the beginning of the 20th century. The current appearance and richness of Park Szczytnicki owes much to Peter Joseph Lenne – a royal gardener who arrived in Wrocław from Berlin. At the end of the 19th century, a dyke system was established. Later, at the turn of the 20th century and on the occasion of the Exhibition of the Century in 1913, Park Szczytnicki was enriched with objects that have remained interesting till today and are important points of sightseeing routes. In 1913, the wooden church of Jan Nepomucen was moved to Wrocław and established in the eastern part of the park. Built at the turn of the 17th century, the building had been previously located in Stare Koźle. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/park-szczytnicki
The Zoo in Wrocław was created in 1865 and had a dozen hectares of surface. Today on 33 ha live 10,000 animals.
Zoo in Wrocław is the oldest and the richest in fauna in Poland. It is possible to see the animals from every continent and environments, for example in Madagascar, Sahara or Europe Pavillons.
In the last few years many new enclosures have been built, for example for bears and wolves. There are also new animals, among which very rare species like okapi. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/zoo-wroclaw
Centennial Hall was recognised as one of the greatest architectonic achievements of the 20th century. It was designed to serve the citizens of Wrocław and the guests visiting the capital of Lower Silesia. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/centennial-hall
Surrounded by the river Oder, the old burgh, the origin of the city, has fantastic architecture. The greatest ones are the Gothic St. John Baptist cathedral, rebuilt after World War II and Holy Cross church. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/ostrow-tumski-en
Wrocław Multimedia Fountain (Wrocławska Fontanna Multimedialna) is the biggest fountain in Poland and one of the biggest in Europe. It was initiated on 4th June 2009 on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the first free elections in the postwar Poland. Located in the beautiful Szczytnicki Park, near the Centennial Hall and Wrocław Congress Centre, attracts many Polish and foreign tourists. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/wroclaw-multimedia-fountain
Rynek of Wrocław has 3.8ha of surface and belongs to the biggest market places in Poland (the bigger ones are in Kraków and Olecko). However, the Late Gothic Town Hall with its 66m tower is the biggest building of this kind in Poland. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/rynek-wroclaw-en
Wratislavia is the largest fluvial passenger vessel in Poland. The middle deck contains a bar and a restaurant. The lower deck is a wedding and banquet hall, which serves as a bistro during cruises. At the top, there is an open solar deck with colourful pillows and sun loungers that provides complete relaxation and comfort. The Wratislavia vessel cuisine impresses above all with its sophisticated menu, including exquisite meats such as duck and guinea hen or excellent steaks served with original side dishes based on Polish vegetables, fruit and herbs. The comfort of our guests during cruises is guaranteed by our experienced crew, wonderful waiters and bartenders, and the best cooks. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/wratislavia-floating-restaurant
Wrocław Puppet Theatre presents adaptations of children literature (Astrid Lindgren’s “Och, Emil”, Piotr Jerszow’s “Konik Garbusek”) and classic fairy tales - Beauty and the Beast, Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Puss in Boots. But the Theatre plays not only classics - the latest premieres were mainly original spectacles based on contemporary plays, written especially for Wrocław Puppet Theatre. These are new, highly educational plays, which cross the borders of a regular puppet theatre. https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/place/wroclaw-puppet-theatre