Porto, a World Heritage Site, is an old, intense and authentic city of an exquisite architectural and landscape value. Visit its historical centre and enjoy a glass of one of the most appreciated wines in the world.
A National Monument, the Palácio da Bolsa (Stock Exchange Palace) is the property and headquarters of the Commercial Association of Porto. It was designed by Joaquim da Costa Lima in a neoclassical style in 1842.
The Military Museum of Porto (Museu Militar do Porto) is housed in a 19th century building in the Bonfim district of Porto, in what was formerly the headquarters of the feared secret police - PIDE (Polícia Internacional e de Defesa do Estado) during the time of Salazar and the Estado Novo (New State).
Built between 1070 and 1093 on the remains of a Roman temple the Sé has had many facelifts over the years. The present day styling is a mixture of the Gothic and Baroque. Inside is a museum with a collection of relics
The Sao Domingos Church, in Aveiro, was founded in 1423 and went on to be remodelled significantly in the 16th and 17th centuries. Located right in the heart of the city, this attractive cathedral is not to be missed as you spend your time sightseeing in and around the city centre
Aveiro Museum is one of the centrepieces of this picturesque historical city in west-central Portugal. The museum encompasses the buildings of the Jesus Monastery, with its church, cloisters and other convent buildings, and was established as long ago as 1911.
The Jesus Monastery in Aveiro is one of the city’s most important historical buildings and is well worth a visit if you are in the city for a few days. The Jesus Monastery is located right in the heart of the city, opposite to the cathedral and close to many of the city’s major attractions, including the lagoon, Forum Aveiro, the fish market, and the lovely green, park areas.
Seen from far, the towers of the cathedral are a reference point for those visiting the city of Viseu.The current cathedral was built next to an ancient Swabian-Visigoth temple possibly dating back to the 10th century during which the city was the capital to a large territory between the Douro and Mondego rivers.
The O Castro site is Vigo’s archaeological site par excellence: this was the origin of what is now the largest city in Galicia, between the second century BC and the third century AD. When you step on the stones of this museum site, the O Castro de Vigo. A Orixe da cidade, you’ll discover where the first inhabitants of Vigo lived.
The Castro is a 1 mile² archaeological site that includes the reconstruction of three castreño buildings pertaining to one of the largest and most evolved towns in Galicia. This small part of the Vigo oppidum shows us how people lived in castros 2,000 years ago.
A Riouxa Park, in Teis neighbourhood, is 60 hectares in size and a favourite among the locals for dog-walking and taking the kids to its large playground. Designed by the Catalonian architect Ricardo Bofill, this park has numerous species of trees, of which many were brought from other parts of the world. An example of this is the horse chestnut, which coexists with native species such as the oak.
Classified as a national monument, nobody is quite sure what this unusual 12th century building was for! Built in a Romanesque style the building forms an irregular pentagon with a subterranean vaulted cistern
It was built in the 12th century on the outskirts of the city. Interesting elements on the exterior are the small tower on the façade and the sturdy flying buttresses built between the 17th and 18th centuries. It has a basilical floor plan with three naves, separated by composite pillars decorated with plant motifs. It is covered with barrel vaults reinforced by rib arches. The sanctuary of the collegiate church has three apses; the central one is polygonal and the two side ones are semicircular. The interior lighting comes from the side openings and the rose window on the façade. Elements worth noting in the cloister include the decoration on the capitals, made by the workshop of Master Mateo.
The Old Cathedral is in the Romanesque style with the outstanding Gallo Tower. Inside this temple, the construction of which began at the end of the 12th century, is the San Martín or Oil Chapel. The main reredos, which dates from the 15th century and was created by several painters with Dello Delli at the head, is also worthy of note.
One of the most beautiful squares in Spain. It was built in Baroque style according to the plans of Alberto Churriguera. On the north side is the City Hall, a Baroque building that has five granite arches and a steeple decorated with allegoric figures.
This Modernist building in the neo-Gothic style consists of a castle, church and stately mansion, and is the site of the Los Caminos Museum. This monument was designed by Gaudí himself in 1887, although it was ultimately completed by the architect Luis de Querejeta.
The gothic styled Palácio Nacional de Sintra is situated in the heart of Sintra and was the most lived in royal residence, being continual used from the 15th century up until the fall of the monarchy in 1910. This is the palace that king Afonso VI (1650s) was imprisoned during his later life, as he was deemed, by his brother, too unstable to rule the country.
The Quinta da Regaleira is an extravagant 19th century gothic mansion that is surrounded with some of the most elaborate gardens of Sintra. The gardens are a joy to explore as they are filled with decorative fortifications, mystic religious symbols and a series of secrete passages and caves.
The exquisite Palacio da Pena is regarded as one of the finest tourist attractions of Portugal and will be a highlight of any visit to Sintra. The vividly painted palace was commissioned in 1842, by King Ferdinand II who championed the arts, literature and music. The king wished the palace to reflect that of a scene from an opera and the extravagant Pena Palace was constructed.
Inaugurated in September 2009, the Casa das Histórias Paula Rego is the result of the combined efforts and strong determination shown by both the Cascais Municipal Council and the artist herself, who lived for a long time in Estoril. The museum space was designed by the 2011 Pritzker Award-winning architect Eduardo Souto de Moura, and comprises 750 m2 of exhibition areas, an auditorium, café, terrace, garden and a shop selling original merchandise.
The collection consists of the donation of all of the artist’s engraving work and a set of drawings by Paula Rego almost completely unseen before the museum’s opening, further complemented by the loan, over a ten-year period, of her private collection, which includes paintings and drawings from different periods in her 50-year career as an artist, as well as some works produced by her late husband, Victor Willing, an artist and art critic.
Besides the Collection, which is exhibited on a rotational basis, the Casa das Histórias Paula Rego also organises Temporary Exhibitions and a parallel programme of different events (conferences, talks, films and documentaries), as well as benefiting from an Educational Service with a wide range of activities aimed at different audiences.
Locals and visitors of Cascais can enjoy a wonderful setting in the heart of this unique town, comprising the Marechal Carmona Park and the Manuel Possolo Hippodrome. The site features ten hectares of parkland, with rest areas, trails for pleasant walks and leisure areas for children.
Everyone who visits Cascais is invited to enjoy the Hippodrome’s extensive lawn and facilities during periods when no competitions are being held. The hippodrome’s lawn has been specially prepared for traditional games, something that will become a regular occurrence at this new public site. Benefiting from a unique setting, this complex is excellent for both jogging and family walks.
Here you can absorb the beauty of the surrounding nature, play sports or enjoy diverse leisure activities along the trails.
The large marina dominates the southern edge of Cascais and is much more than just a protected stretch of seawater. The entire complex has been designed to provide services at a standard which represents the cliental who moor their yachts at the marina while travelling towards the Mediterranean.
The marina complex is fully open for tourist to wander the waterfront and marvel at the floating palaces which moor within the marina. For sailors and crews of yachts,’ there are 125 berths that are reserved for ships either in transit or for shortstop over’s. Each berth can accommodate a yacht up to 36 meters in length and a maximum draught of 6 meters.
12th-century Almohad monument. This is known as the Watchtower or Alpéndiz Tower. The Espantaperros Tower is in the eastern part of the Citadel and is a watchtower. It has an octagonal plan Most of the tower is solid, apart from its two upper chambers.
From the outside, the cathedral was built in the form of a fortress to keep it safe during the continuous wars suffered by the city. Its construction was begun after the conquest of Badajoz by King Alfonso IX in the 13th century.
Evora was an important Roman trading town, so it is fitting that the city's finest monument is a beautiful preserved Roman temple. The Diana Temple is regarded as the best preserved Roman structure on the Iberian Peninsula, but it has had an eventful history since Roman occupation.
The Praça do Giraldo is the main central plaza of Evora and is the heart of the city. The square is lined by exquisite examples of 16th century Gothic architecture, while the simplistic Igreja de Santo Antao stands at one end of the square.
The bone chapel is the most ghoulish sight of Portugal and thus one of the most memorable monuments of Evora. Inside the small chapel, the walls are lined with bones of the long-deceased, exhumed from the city's graves as the city expanded to allow further burials.
Over the centuries the cathedral of Leon has undergone successive restorations in which a number of famous architects have participated. Ordoño II built the temple on the site of his royal palace as a show of gratitude for defeating the Moors at the battle of San Esteban de Gormaz.
This Renaissance building was designed by Juan de Herrera in the early 16th century. The façade, with columns, is divided into two storeys: the lower is by Juan de Herrera, and the upper is by Churriguera, characterised by abundant decorative elements.