It now represents a classic example of the traditional half-timbered architectural style of times gone by. Every single house bears its own name. In the 17th century, the corner house, named "Grosser Engel", became the home of Frankfurt's first bank.
This former Patrician Villa, featuring a three-gabled Roof, has served as Frankfurt's city hall since 1405. It continues to be the seat of the city's Lord Mayor to this day.
The city's first town hall was soon too small to accommodate the needs of this flourishing city. It was torn down in 1415 prior to commencement of construction on the cathedral tower. The city council was initially accorded the right to build a new town hall in 1329. Finally, in 1405, the council decided to buy two existing houses instead. These two houses, named "Römer" and "Goldener Schwan", have served as the home of Frankfurt's town hall ever since. Large halls were constructed on the ground level and made available for lease during trade fairs. The Kaisersaal, or "Emperor's Hall", was built around 1612. The town hall complex formerly comprised 13 buildings. There are equally many hypotheses as regards to the origin of the name. One of them states that the merchant who lived there until the building was purchased by the city transacted the majority of his business with Italy, and in particular, Rome.
The Main Tower, designed by the architect's office Schweger und Partner and completed in 2000, invites the general public to visit its rooftop observation platform, where they are met by a spectacular panoramic view of Frankfurt and the surrounding region some 200 metres above the city streets. A highlight for every urban explorer!
The Archaeological Museum, formerly the Museum of Pre- and Early History, is housed in the Carmelite Church. A modern annexe designed by Joseph-Paul Kleihues has recently been added. The Archaeological Museum devotes itself to the investigation, documentation and presentation of archaeological findings of Frankfurt and its environs from pre-historic times, the Roman period, the Middle Ages and the modern era.
One of Europe's most significant zoological gardens, established in 1858, featuring two highly interesting exotic and nocturnal animal houses. Frankfurt Zoo, situated in the heart of the city, is home to some 500 animals species from across the globe. Open 365 days a year, Frankfurt Zoo is a great place to relax and enjoy the scenic surrounds while learning something about the animal kingdom as well as nature conservation and species protection.
The Old Nikolai Church (Alte Nikolaikirche) belongs to the famous group on Frankfurt’s Römerberg. Visitors enjoy its harmonic carillon with 47 bells.
This small church, dating back to the 13th century, presumably served as a royal chapel for Stauferian nobility. First official mention dates back to 24 September 1264. The chapel may well have served as electoral site for kings and parliaments. The church was sanctified in the name of St Nicolas of Bari in 1290. Later, the church became the preferred place of worship for the city's councillors. A Gothic-style gallery was added in 1476, from which the councilmen could watch the festivities. Two significant tombstones are located in the interior, honouring Siegfried zum Paradies and Katharina Netheha zum Wedel.
The Frankfurt Goethe House, birthplace of Germany´s most famous author and poet, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, was built in the typical 18th-century bourgeois style.
It is decorated with period furniture and paintings, providing an authentic and striking impression of the environment in which Goethe spent his youth. The Goethe Museum, a gallery of paintings from the Goethe era, elucidates Goethe's relationship to the art and artists of his epoch.
One of the most popular photo spots with an excellent view of Frankfurt's skyline.
This famous iron and concrete footbridge, crossed by over 10,000 pedestrians every day, connects the city centre and Römerberg with Sachsenhausen on the southern banks of the Main River. The neo-Gothic-style bridge was built in 1869 according to the plans of Peter Schmick, going through several changes and modifications since then, the last of which took place in 1993.
The present-day Frankfurt Cathedral was originally a Carolingian chapel. Although called a cathedral since the 18th century, it never was an episcopal church in the true sense. Consecrated in the name of St Bartholomew in 1239, this cathedral was officially chosen to serve as the electoral site for kings of the Holy Roman Empire in 1356. Ten imperial coronations took place here between 1562 and 1792.
This superb botanical showcase was originally established thanks to the purchase of the Duke of Nassau's excellent tropical-plant collection. A special greenhouse was erected to house these plants, enabling visitors to meander through a jungle-like tropical environment.
The “Dreikönigskirche”, or “Church of the Three Kings”, is currently one of three places of worship of the Three Kings parish of Sachsenhausen, the largest Protestant parish in Frankfurt with some 6,200 members. It is situated directly on the banks of the River Main. Many believe the church to be older than it actually is. In truth, it was consecrated as recently as 1881. The precursor of this neo-Gothic church was the “Dreikönigskapelle” (“Chapel of the Three Kings”), consecrated in 1340.
Behind the historical facade of the previous Frankfurt Opera House lies one of the most outstanding concert halls of major importance, way beyond the borders of Germany. The visitor is offered a high-quality program in all sections of music: classical music, jazz and world-wide famous musical and show productions.