The Bolshoi Theatre began its life as the private theatre of the Moscow proseсutor Prince Pyotr Urusov. On 28 March 1776, Empress Catherine II signed and granted the Prince the 'privilege' of organizing theatre performances, masquerades, balls and other forms of entertainment for a period of ten years. It is from this date that Moscow's Bolshoi Theatre traces its history.
The Bolshoi building, which for many years now has been regarded as one of Moscow’s main sights, was opened on 20 October 1856, on Tsar Alexander II’s coronation day.
On 29 October 2002 the Bolshoi was given a New Stage and it was here it presented its performances during the years the Historic Stage was undergoing massive reconstruction and refurbishment.
The reconstruction project lasted from l July 2005 to 28 October 2011. As a result of this reconstruction, many lost features of the historic building were reinstated and, at the same time, it has joined the ranks of most technically equipped theatre buildings in the world.
The Bolshoi Theatre is a symbol of Russia for all time. It was awarded this honor due to the major contribution it made to the history of the Russian performing arts. This history is on-going and today Bolshoi Theatre artists continue to contribute to it many bright pages.
The city's atmosphere is created by its streets, especially pedestrian streets. In Kazan there is such a street, beautiful, crowded, where every day you can meet musicians, and in the summer even dancers.
The art nouveau Small House of the Vanemuine Theatre was built from 1914 to 1918 (architect A Eichhorn). The decision to build a new, modern theatre building was made after the building of the summer theatre of the German Society of Artisans that used to be located in this spot perished in a fire.
The history of the National Opera of Ukraine was initiated in 1867, when in Kiev, one of the major administrative centers of the then Russian Empire, after a long petition the government opened a permanent opera troupe. There was a first outside the capitals - Petersburg and Moscow - a musical theater.
Founded in 1920, Ugala is one of Estonia's oldest professional drama theatres. It became a professional theatre in 1926. In 1981, the theatre received a new, large and modern building that was one of the most advanced ones in the Baltic countries at the time.
The Ugala offers a varied repertoire from children's stories and musical plays to world classics and contemporary world dramaturgy. Estonian originals also have their place in the programme.
At Espoo City Theatre – The International Theatre of Finland brings together a broad range of in-house productions with the finest domestic and international visiting performances.
With programming befitting a performing arts festival, Espoo City Theatre is unlike most theatres in Finland. For over 30 years now, the theatre has presented up to four world-class international visits each season, in addition to domestic visiting performances. Our Louhisali stage has featured cutting-edge talent from home and abroad, performing in many languages, over the years. Each spring, Espoo City Theatre hosts the Viro-viikot festival presenting the most ambitious new work from Estonia.
The Theatre aims to be an open and inclusive platform for all performing arts. Its bold programming reflects the changing world around us. In addition to a more classical theatre repertoire, Espoo City Theatre regularly presents contemporary circus, dance, opera, and performance art.
Svobody Avenue is the city main street combining functions of the business and cultural center. It is Lviv’s second most important historical spot after Rynok Square. The avenue owes its status as one of the most beautiful and elegant streets in the city to its splendid architecture, which harmonically combines traits of various historical styles. Elegant ancient houses, framing it from both sides, are Svobody Avenue’s main adornment and create its unique atmosphere.
Once, the western line of Lviv fortifications, called Lower Walls, was located there. In the late 18th century, when the city was under the governance of Austria-Hungary, dilapidated fortifications were pulled down and the even side of the modern avenue was formed. The odd side was constructed on the marshy bank of the Plotva River, which was hidden under the ground, later.
Svobody Avenue’s most attractive building, its symbol and highlight, is the magnificent Opera House. Other notable structures include the elegant National Museum, the former Galych Credit Fund (currently the Museum of Ethnography and Arts Crafts), the Viennese Coffee House and the Grand Hotel. One of the Svobody Avenue’s most recognizable sights is the unusual monument to Taras Shevchenko with 12-meter-high bronze stele ‘Wave of National Renaissance,’ installed in its center.
The Copernicus Science Centre is a real treat for science lovers. Have a go at making your own experiments and find out what it felt like for Neil Armstrong to take his first step on the Moon. Find out why we experience fear and learn about the mysteries of the senses. Visit the Heavens of Copernicus Planetarium and watch the incredible show, and don’t forget to check out the Robotic Theatre. Once you’ve seen everything, chill out on the lawn in the Discovery Park. This attraction is not only for children.
The highest and most recognisable building in Warsaw can be seen from almost every part of the capital. Where did it come from? It was opened in 1955 on the initiative of Joseph Stalin as a “gift of the Soviet people for the Poles”. Built by Russian workers, for a long time, it was considered to be a symbol of socialist power and the pride of People’s Poland – it was where conventions of the Polish United Workers’ Party took place. Since its very beginning, its monumental interiors have hosted numerous concerts, exhibitions, fairs and shows.
Currently, the palace is home to theatres, a cinema, museums, trendy pubs and the main Warsaw Tourist Information office. Go up to the observation deck on the 30th floor of the building and see the beautiful panorama of the city from a height of 114 metres.
Take a look at the socialist realist sculptures placed in the niches of the palace’s facade. Each symbolises a different field of science, art, technology or culture, for example a young man with a book of classical literature, a member of komsomol, an archer and a woman from Central Asia. In a direct line from the main entrance, you will find a stone honour tribune, from which the first secretaries of the Central Committee of the Polish communist party greeted those marching on the May Day parade.
In the landscape of Rzeszów and the region, an important culture-creating role is played by: Państwowy Teatr im. Wanda Siemaszkowa and the "Mask" Theater established at the end of 1999.Theater Wanda Siemaszkowa - the first professional drama theater in Rzeszów was founded in 1944 as the National Theater.
The opera was founded more than 40 years ago and has evolved from a regional opera ensemble to a performing arts house with a broad range of activities. There is a symphony orchestra and departments for opera, dance, music and contemporary art. Visit Norrlandsoperan´s website for the current programme.
Visualization Center C is a research and science center in Norrköping, Sweden, conducting a unique mix of leading visualization research and public outreach activities. The center hosts a large-scale arena for public visits and events including media labs, interactive exhibitions and an immersive 3D full-dome theatre. Step into our world and discover the experiences we offer; experiences in every sense of the word, from award-winning full-dome productions and interactive exhibits to consulting services and research partnerships.
One of the ideas behind Visualization Center C is to bring the world of visualization to a wider audience than science and research labs usually do. That is why we produce and host public exhibitions – travelling as well as permanent – all with state-of-the-art technology and elements of visualization, interaction and digital imagery as key ingredients.
On the western part of the old city walls, guarded by three bastions and gates, this square was initially a marketplace, which was going to be moved to the central square. Eventually, the marketplace was moved closer to the railroad, in the current location of Mihai Viteazul square. Thus, at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century the walls and gates of the city were demolished, and a small park was arranged in this square.
Later, new buildings were erected here, such as the National Theater, the Orthodox Cathedral, the building of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, in the Art Nouveau style (today, the office of the Cluj Prefecture); the building of the old “Unió” Masonic Lodge (no. 7 Avram Iancu Sq.); the building of the old military garrison (today, the building of the County School Inspectorate, also known in the oral tradition of the city as the “red building”, a name earned by the red brick walls of the building); the Palace of Justice, where the Court of Appeal and the Tribunal are housed; the EMKE Palace (Hungarian Cultural Association of Transylvania), later purchased by MÁV (Magyar Államvasútak, Hungarian State Railroads), currently the headquarters of the CFR Regional Office; the building of the Archbishopric of Vad, Feleac and Cluj, which houses the Faculty of Orthodox Theology and the building of the Protestant Theology, on the old site of the Reformed Church’s Prayer House.
The two cultural institutions were founded in 18th September 1919, as an expression of spiritual rebirth after the Great Union in 1918. The building which houses the „Lucian Blaga” National Theatre and the Romanian Opera was built between 1904 and 1906, as a seat for the Hungarian National Theatre, by the famous Viennese firm „ Fellner und Helmer”, combining stylistic elements of new-baroque and Secession. The hall has 928 setas and it is built in New-Baroque style. For decorating the lobby were used stylistic modulations inspired by Secession. The National Theatre and the Romanian Opera have been functioning there since 1919. The opening show of the National Theatre of Cluj took place on 1st and 2nd December 1919, with the plays „Se face ziua” by Zaharia Barsan and „Ovidiu” by Vasile Alecsandri. The „Eupharion” Studio of the National Theatre is specially designed for the young artists and their creative experiments. The Romanian National Opera from Cluj Napoca is the first lyrical dramatic state institution from Romania. The inaugural show took place on 25 May 1820, with the play “Aida” by G.Verdi. More than 200 titles of operas, operettas and ballets from the world repertoire have been put on scene at the Romanian Opera so far.
The city opera hall was designed by V. Semenov and opened on September 12, 1912 with M. Glinka’s opera “A Life for the Tsar”. Ekaterinburg Opera and Ballet Theatre is one of the oldest in Russia. The theatre construction (based on the design by V. N. Semenov from Saint Petersburg who won the all-Russian open contest) began in 1903 and was led by local architect K. T. Babykin. The grand opening was held on September 12, 1912 – Glinka’s opera “A Life for the Tsar” was staged. Riccardo Drigo’s "The Magic Flute" became the first ballet production of a new theater in 1914
THE STATE THEATRE dominates Ferdinand Square with its imposing features. Situated in the center of a true architectural museum, this building in eclectic style imposes with exceptional craftsmanship. The construction, so avidly desired by the municipality of the age, was entrusted to renowned Viennese construction firm Fellner and Helmer.
Romanian Athenaeum is one of the most beautiful buildings in Bucharest and cultural center and also host for GEORGE ENESCU FESTIVAL.
In 1886, authorities bought the land where the future Athenaeum was to be built. This is how the history of the Romanian Athenaeum begins. The French architect Albert Galleron and the Romanian architects Grigore Cerchez, Alexandru Orascu, Ion Mincu and I.N. Socolescu started the project. Works began in 1886 and were finished in 1889. It was built in neoclassical style, it has Greek temple elements but also French decorations from the end of the 19th century. A circus was on the land of the nowadays Romanian Athenaeum in Bucharest. The entrance has 6 Greek columns, the dome is Baroque style, 41 meters high.
The interior of the Romanian Athenaeum in Bucharest includes exhibits rooms, concert halls and conferences halls. 12 Greek columns sustain one of the main halls, the Rotonda. 4 monumental stairs start from here, imitating Carrara marble, made by the famous architect, Carol Stork. The honour stairs also start from here. The great circular hall is 16 meters high, 28,50 meters in diameter and 784 seat capacity. There is also an ensemble of 75 meters long and 3 meters high of paintings, made in alfresco style, representing 25 scenes from Romania’s history. In 1944, during the war, the Romanian Athenaeum in Bucharest was devastated by German and American bombs but it was rebuilt in 1945.
Bucharest National Opera House needed headquarters since the beginning of the 19th century. The nowadays building housing the National Opera in Bucharest was designed in 1946.
The first Italian theater was opened in Bucharest in 1843 and it has to do with the National Opera, for it was opened with the opera Norma by Vincenzo Bellini, followed by the Barber of Seville by Rossini. In 1870, the composer and conductor George Stefanescu tried to persuade the authorities to build a headquarters for the Opera. Thus he launches the Opera Company in 1885 with the performance of Linda di Chamonix by Donizetti, sung in Romanian. Only in 1921, the Opera Company receives the necessary funds in order to organize itself in the new institutional order, becoming the Romanian Opera. The premiere of Lohengrin by Richard Wagner, with George Enescu conducting, was the opening performance that year.
The theater was built in classical style. The main hall ha 2200 seats, surrounded by lodges and amazing acoustics. There are four caryatids, four statues, Drama and Poetry statues, a bas-relief called Music and another one called The Dance. George Enescu’s monument is in front of the building.
Malmö Opera presents the whole range of music theatre with the main emphasis on opera and musical. We perform the great opera classics, musicals, contemporary musical drama, concerts and dance, always meeting the highest international standards of quality.
Operaverkstan, our department for children and young adults, produces high-quality performances for children aged 3-19 with focus on contemporary works and subject matters. Operaverkstan also introduces classic opera to its audience.
The building that houses Malmö Opera was built during the Second World War and inaugurated in 1944. The main auditorium holds an audience of 1511 and the stage is one of the largest in Europe. With it, renowned architect Sigurd Lewerentz, together with colleagues Erik Lallerstedt and David Helldén, created one of the masterpieces of functionalist architecture. The foyer is considered of particular beauty, with its open spaces and sweeping marble staircases, and it is adorned with a number of works of art by artists such as Carl Milles and Isaac Grünewald. The building was listed with the National Trust in connection with the theatre’s 50th jubilee in 1994.
Before the theatre had even been erected Cieplice were the venue for numerous plays, however, this form of entertainment began to flourish with the construction of the theatre building designed by Alberta Tolberga.
Towering on a promontory in Northern Zealand, Kronborg faces the sound between Elsinore and Helsingborg in Sweden. Grand fortifications with bastions and casemates used to protect the Danish land from unwanted visitors and was home to the royal family until the late 1600 hundreds.
The Ioan Slavici Classical Theatre (Teatrul Clasic Ioan Slavici) is a three-story, nineteenth century, neoclassical theatre located in the city of Arad. The building was named after one of Romania’s most renowned writers, journalist, and Arad native, Ioan Slavici. The theatre has put on thousands of shows throughout the decades that have delighted and dazzled guests from both near, and afar.
The theatre’s inception took place in 1868 when Arad’s city mayor, Aztel Peter, and the baron, Béla Bánhidy, along with other city officials, decided that the city had to have a new theatre. After the decision was made they moved forward and replaced Arad’s old and outdated baroque style theatre, which had been functioning as the city’s primary theatre since 1817, with the new Ioan Slavici Classical Theatre.
Nowadays the Marine Gardens form an imposing park where you can visit the Natural Science Museum, the Naval Museum, the Copernicus Astronomy Complex planetarium, the first in the country, the zoo and the Terrarium. Here one can find the only Dolphinarium and Aquarium in the country.
There are also a swimming pool, tennis court, an open-air theater and a new children's complex (opened on 1 May 2002) with a lot of amusements: water wheels, slide, archery, trampoline.
Along the alley, which runs parallel to the coastline, there are a number of small cafes and restaurants, offering seafood specialties as well as attractive discos.
Tivoli Gardens was founded in 1843 and has become a national treasure and an international attraction. Fairy tale writer Hans Christian Andersen visited many times, as did Walt Disney and many other celebrities, who all fell in love with the gardens.
You can tour the Opera House during the day and learn about its gorgeous architecture as well as enjoy a world-class performance in the evening. The opera house in Budapest stands as one of the most beautiful Neo-Renaissance buildings in Europe. When it was opened in 1884, the city shared the administrative duties of the Austro-Hungarian Empire with Vienna. Emperor Franz Joseph commissioned its design. Construction included the use of marble and frescos by some of the best artisans of that era. Designed by Miklós Ybl, one of Europe's leading architects in the mid to late 19th century, the Budapest Opera House quickly became one of the most prestigious musical institutions in Europe. Many important artists performed here, including Gustav Mahler!
This historical building is, as its name suggests, associated with Josef Kajetán Tyl, an important figure of Czech theatre and the National Revival movement. J. K. Tyl, a native of Kutná Hora, was the first person to publicly formulate the idea to build an independent theatre in Kutná Hora for the then Tyl Amateur Theatre Company, which was based in Kutná Hora and of which Tyl was himself a member.
Dresden’s Semper Opera House is the most famous opera house in Germany; it houses the Saxon State Orchestra, one of the world’s oldest and best-known orchestras. Built by Gottfried Semper between 1838 and 1841, the Semper Opera House was closed in August 1944 and was destroyed six months later by the Allied air attacks.
The Vienna State Opera is one of the top opera addresses in the world – where you can enjoy the very best in first-class productions. This famous stage offers a different program every day, with over 50 operas and ballet works on around 300 days per season.
At the Vienna Opera Ball, the Vienna State Opera is transformed into the world’s most famous ballroom. The committee, consisting of approximately 150 pairs of young men and women in white ball gowns and tails, ensures a glamorous opening of the Opera Ball.
The Concert Hall (Musikhuset Aarhus) is the largest Concert Hall in Scandinavia and is home to the Royal Academy of Music in Aarhus, the Aarhus Symphony Orchestra and the Danish National Opera.
The Concert Hall hosts a wide variety of artistic activities. The auditoria are the scene of great Danish and foreign concerts, operas and dance performances.
The first thing that meets the eye as one drives past or comes in to park is the 2,000 m2 glass foyer, whose palm trees, old olive trees and many works of art create an atmosphere all their own.
Musikkens Hus is not only an architectonic lighthouse of Aalborg and Northern Jutland but also very much a national and international rendezvous of music, where visitors brought together by music.
The construction of Musikkens Hus is one of the most ambitious and impressive projects in the history of Aalborg. The road to a house of music in Northern Jutland has spanned 28 years. However, natives of Northern Jutland are very persistent, so now, the house is ready to welcome all with a musical interest.
The vision for Musikkens Hus in Northern Jutland was to create a venue for concerts with acoustics on the international level. The house is built around the idea of generating synergy, and sharing of expertise and knowhow among the many users and guests of the house.
The permanent residents of Musikkens Hus include Aalborg Symphony Orchestra, the Jutlandic Academy of Music - Aalborg, the music educations of Aalborg University, Centre of Danish Jazz History and Musikkens Spisehus.