The Partition of India was one of the most defining events in the history of the subcontinent. It remains till date the largest mass migration in human history. Yet, despite the extensive loss to life and property, almost 70 years later there existed a severe lacuna that no museum or memorial existed anywhere in the world to remember all those millions.
With the support of hundreds of people, who donated their time, family objects, funds, and skills, the Partition Museum worked towards opening the entire Museum in time to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Partition. The opening date for all fourteen galleries was decided as 17 August to mark the day that the Radcliffe award was announced. On 17 August 2017, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Punjab, Shri Amarinder Singh, dedicated the Partition Museum to the nation. It was marked as Partition Remembrance Day in tribute to the millions impacted.
Since then over a hundred thousand visitors have come to the Partition Museum. It continues to build its collections and archives and welcomes support in its continued quest to document and remember the history of the millions impacted at the time of the Partition.
The Government Museum and Art Gallery in Sector 10 of Chandigarh has a fine collection of stone sculptures of the Gandhara period. The museum is the place to see the prehistoric fossils and artifacts along with modern art and miniature paintings. T
One of the top places to see in Delhi, the Purana Qila or the Old Fort has a lot in store for its visitors. It was built under Sher Shah Suri and is considered to be the capital of the Pandavas. Stretched across two kilometers in length, the huge red sandstone ramparts of the fort emphasize on the historical valor and aura of the times the fort must have witnessed.
This tomb, built in 1570, is of particular cultural significance as it was the first garden-tomb on the Indian subcontinent. It inspired several major architectural innovations, culminating in the construction of the Taj Mahal.
Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi is the first of the grand dynastic mausoleums that were to become synonyms of Mughal architecture with the architectural style reaching its zenith 80 years later at the later Taj Mahal. Humayun’s Tomb stands within a complex of 27.04 ha. that includes other contemporary, 16th century Mughal garden-tombs such as Nila Gumbad, Isa Khan, Bu Halima, Afsarwala, Barber’s Tomb and the complex where the craftsmen employed for the Building of Humayun’s Tomb stayed, the Arab Serai.
Humayun’s Tomb was built in the 1560’s, with the patronage of Humayun’s son, the great Emperor Akbar. Persian and Indian craftsmen worked together to build the garden-tomb, far grander than any tomb built before in the Islamic world. Humayun’s garden-tomb is an example of the charbagh (a four quadrant garden with the four rivers of Quranic paradise represented), with pools joined by channels. The garden is entered from lofty gateways on the south and from the west with pavilions located in the centre of the eastern and northern walls.
India is a place inhabited by the people of different sects and religions. Radha Swami is also a faith followed by many people in India. Dayal Bagh is 15 km from Agra. It is a place, which houses the Samadhi of the founder of the Radha Swami, "Swamiji Maharaj.
The main structure is a magnificent building of 110 feet in height, built in pure white marble. One can find pietra- dura inlaid marble work actually being worked on. The building here is under construction since last 100 years and here it is a belief that construction should never stop.
Chini ka Rauza is also called as the China Tomb of Agra. This mausoleum belong to a Persian born poet, who rose to the position of Wazir (Prime Minister) during the reign of Shah Jahan. Mullah died in 1639 in Lahore. His remains were brought back to Agra, to be buried in this spot. Just like every other mausoleum of Mughals, the tomb is built to face the holy city of Mecca.
This Mughal structure has many exotic and unusual styles of architecture. The main dissimilarity is the un-proportional dome built in Sultanate style. However, the beauty of the tomb has heavily disintegrated with passage of time. The walls of the monument have worn out, but you can still see the striking enamel colors on the tiles and remains of what used to be a grand ceiling painting. The builders of the tomb used earthen pots to reduce the weight of concrete filling in the facades. This method is widely used in Egypt and Rome.
Mehrangarh Fort holds the pride of place in Jodhpur because of its splendid architecture and the diverse history associated with it. Considered as one of the most formidable and magnificent forts of Rajasthan, Mehrangarh fort was built by Rao Jodha in the year 1459. The fort is spread over an area of 5 km and is built on 125 m high hill in the outskirts of Jodhpur city.
There are seven gates, which can be used to enter the Mehrangarh fort. These 7 gates are made by different rulers, and are built in honour of victory over Bikaner and Jaipur armies.
One can see the panoramic view of the Jodhpur city from this fort, which seems like a blue carpet laid at the foot of a hill. Every ruler of Jodhpur has contributed in the making of this fort. Within the fort one can see the magnificent palaces. The main palaces located in the Mehrangarh Fort are Moti Mahal, Phool Mahal, Sheesh Mahal, Zenana Dude, Takht Vilas and Jhanki Mahal. There are also two temples located inside the fort - Chamundi Devi Mandir and Nagnechiaji Mandir, dedicated to Goddess Durga and the Kuldevi respectively.
Peak into the history of Jodhpur, and witness its lavish culture at the Government Museum. It is located inside Umaid public gardens and was built in 1909. The museum was constructed under the reign of Maharaja Umed Signhji, and was built by Henry Vaughan Lanchester.
The Government Museum houses around 400 sculptures, 10 ancient inscriptions, thousands of miniature paintings, terracotta artwork, ancient coins, metallic objects, arms, stuff toys, stone sculptures, inscriptions and other miscellaneous objects which are simply astonishing. Within the museum vicinity there is a well stocked library and zoo. There is a separate history section for military memorabilia which exhibits tools, weapons, memorials, brass and wooden models.
The Jai Vilas Mahal that is also known as the Jai Vilas Palace was built in 1874 by the Maharaja of Gwalior called Jayajirao Scindia. This palace is said to be an 11th century palace and a visit to this palace must be done if you visit Gwalior.
The history of Kazakhstan from prehistoric times to the present day is collected within the walls of this museum. Mammoth skeletons, national costumes and horse harness, guns from the Second World War - each exhibit in the museum has its own special history and is ready to open it to grateful listeners with the help of experienced guides. You may find over 300 thousand items in the collection of the fund.
The area of the Museum building is about 20 thousand square meters, while the spectator-accessible exhibition part is only 7000 sq. m. This museum is the most visited in the Republic. Every year it is visited by 130 thousand people, the museum's directorate holds about 100 lectures on various topics a year, holds more than 30 exhibitions, special offers and cultural and educational programs.
At the time of the rule of the Maratha king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's, the one thing that Maharashtra got in abundance was forts. With its hilly terrain and the ruler’s expertise at establishing forts at strategic points, the state can now lay claims to have some of the finest, strongest, and the most unique forts of India.
As one of the largest one-man collections in the world, the Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum in Pune is fascinating for its curios and artifacts, ranging from beautifully embroidered textiles to sculptures and antique copper vessels to the swords of the Peshwas. And as you walk through its various sections, history literally comes alive.
Golconda is one of the famous forts of India. The name originates from the Telugu words “Golla Konda” meaning “Shepherd’s Hill”. The origins of the fort can be traced back to the Yadava dynasty of Deogiri and the Kakatiyas of Warangal.
Taramati Baradari is located at Ibrahimbagh, on the Osman Sagar (Gandipet) Road, close to Golconda. The complex is spread over a sprawling 7-acre area amidst lush green environs with the backdrop of the famed Golconda Fort. The heritage monument built by the Seventh Sultan of Golconda is accessed from the complex.
This museum houses one of the biggest one-man collections of antiques of the world by Mir Yousuf Ali Khan, Salar Jung III. The objects d’art include Persian carpets, Moghal miniatures, Chinese porcelain, Japanese lacquerware, famous statues including the Veiled Rebecca and Marguerite and Mephistopheles, a superb collection of jade, daggers belonging to Queen Noor Jahan and the Emperors Jahangir and Shah Jahan, Aurangzeb’s sword and many other fabulous items.
Grandeur of rules, glory of its past, glimpse of their enigmatic way of living, are still alive in the form of palaces like Chowmahalla Palace, a place worth visiting when on a Hyderabad tour.
Built in the 18th century, almost 200 years ago, the Chowmahalla Palace is one of the popular sightseeing places in Hyderabad. The literal meaning of this place is “Four Palaces” with “Chow” means four in Urdu and “Mahalat” which is the plural of “Mahalel” meaning palaces. Chowmahalla palace is said to resemble Shah Palace of Tehran in Iran.
It is said that Chowmahalla Palace used to have around 7000 attendants on any given day. For its grandeur and charm, it has been often compared to the Enchanted Gardens of the Arabian Nights for its grandeur.
This bath is a collection of art, architecture and using different materials with a suitable space which attracts people to itself. The architect of bath and in general Ganjali khan complex is a Yazdian architect named “Ostad Mohammad Soltani” who indeed knew the political, economical and cultural conditions of its time. Ganjali khan bath is a wonderful work, that with its beautiful tile-works, paintings plaster-works pats the eyes of every visitor. Baths are included among the inseparable part of the city’s building and are the main and important parts of Islamic cities and villages. The entrance to the Ganjali bathhouse is located along a section of Ganjali Khan Bazaar.
The entry portal of these baths has been decorated with beautiful paintings of Safavid era. The bath is 64m in length and 30m in width at an area about 1380 sq.m. The length of its hot-chamber (Garmkhane) is 6/25m in width is 7/5 m and its reservoir is 8/5 m in length and 5/7 in width at an area of 44/8sq.m. It consists of two main parts; hot-chamber and dressing room. According to the class division in Safavid era the dressing room of bath has 6 chambers which each of them devoted to a special social class, including “Sayeds, clregies, tribal chiefs, grades, merchants and rustics. However, today they are one are two statues in every chamber of the dressing room that demonstrate the feature of mentioned classes.
National Museum is the biggest museum in Bangladesh and one of the largest museums in South Asia. It has several departments like archaeology, classical, decorative and contemporary art, history, natural history, ethnography and world civilization of displays. It has a rich collection of paintings, old coins, metal images, world famous embroidered quilts (Nakshi kantha) and much more. You can also find valuable articles of the heroic liberation war here. The Museum is noted for its collection of Shilpacharya Zainul Abedin and works of other contemporary artists.
The fort of Aurangabad, popularly known as the Lalbagh Fort, was built in 1678 AD by the then Viceroy of Bengal Prince Mohammad Azam, son of the Mughal Emperor Aurangazeb. The fort has a three storied structure with slender minarets at the South Gate. It has many hidden passages and a mosque of massive structure. Outstanding among the monuments of the Lalbagh Fort are the Tomb of Pari Bibi (Fairy lady) and Audience room and Hummam Khana (bathing place) of Nawab Shaista Khan, now housing a museum.
The fort was the scene of bloody battle during the first war of independence (1857) when 260 spays stationed here backed by the people revolted against British forces. It is one of the great historical places of Mughal era. A small museum is there in this fort where you will find the clothes and weapons of the Mughols.
These are a small 3-domed mosque, the mausoleum of Bibi Pari the reputed daughter of Nawab Shaista Khan and the Hammam and Audience Hall of the Governor. The main purpose of this fort was to provide a defensive enclosure of the palatial edifices of the interior and as such was a type of palace-fortress rather than a siege fort.
Ahsan Manzil is an attractive tourist spot in Dhaka. It is one of the most meaningful architectural heritage of Bangladesh. It is situated in Old Dhaka on the bank of the river Buriganga. The area is called Kumartuli in Islampur. Here you you’ll enjoy the feeling of the lifestyle of the Nawabs of Dhaka. The pink palace was actually built by Nawab Sir Abdul Gani in 1872, and was reconstructed after the tornado of 1888. Now it has been established as a museum.
It is an epitome of the nation's rich cultural heritage. Todays renovated Ahsan Manjil a monument of immense historical beauty.
It has 31 rooms with a huge dome atop which can be seen from miles around. It now has 23 galleries in 31 rooms displaying of traits, furniture and household articles and utensils used by the Nawab.
Among all the places to visit in Sharjah, this centre offers the most comprehensive information on species and ecosystems in the Arabian Peninsula. The Natural History & Botanical Museum has displays of fossils, meteorites, taxidermic displays of rare animals and desert ecosystems. The botanical garden also has nearly 100 different species of native plants, making it one of the most florally diverse parks in Sharjah. If you’re looking for things to do with kids, be sure to take a tour of the garden and learn all about flora in the desert habitat.
The museum is located in Sharjah Desert Park, one of the don't miss tourist places in Sharjah, which also features a breeding centre for endangered animals, the Islamic Botanical Garden and a petting zoo in the children’s area with several summer activities for kids.
With a treasure trove of pottery, jewellery and weaponry on display, this Sharjah museum uncovers the daily life of ancient inhabitants in the region, far before modern UAE culture. The most significant discoveries in the country are featured in this museum, including a 2,000-year-old golden bridle from Mleiha, findings from a Stone Age graveyard with the skeletons of 500 nomadic herders and a vast collection of Arabic art. For history buffs, this is one of the most important tourist places in Sharjah.
For things to do with kids, head to the children’s area which features interactive displays, informative exhibits and films. Call ahead of time to plan your trip during the museum’s summer activities for kids. To get to the museum, take a Sharjah bus with a stop on the Sharjah bus route close by. Or, reach there quicker with a Sharjah taxi.
Sharjah Museum of Islamic Civilization features seven galleries spread over two levels. The ground-floor galleries cover aspects of the Islamic faith and the achievements of Arab scientists and astronomers. The upper floors offer a chronological overview of Islamic arts and crafts, including textiles and jewellery.
Housed in building every bit as impressive as its collection, the museum is located on the Corniche, just north of the Heart of Sharjah district.
Astrolabes, manuscripts, ceramics and coins all vie for your attention but don’t miss the gold-embroidered curtain for the door of the Holy Ka’ba and the mosaic inside the central dome detailing the zodiac constellations.
Set in a restored 18th-century pearl merchant’s house, Sharjah Heritage Museum explores all aspects of Emirati culture, from religious traditions to living in the desert. There are six galleries covering the landscape, lifestyle, celebrations, livelihoods, traditional knowledge and oral traditions of the emirate.
The museum presents plenty of interesting objects, including an aftakh – a golden toe ring worn by Bedouin women – with explanations in English and Arabic. Younger visitors will enjoy the engaging folk tales, proverbs and puzzles.
The Sharjah Maritime Museum was first opened in the Heritage Area in early 2003 to highlight the maritime life of the UAE. However, due to the importance of the sea and its significance in the region’s heritage, the museum was expanded and relocated in Al Khan in 2009.
Since opening its gates in 2008, Al Jahili Fort has been a cultural the focal point of activities associated with philosophy and heritage of Abu Dhabi in the Garden City. Al Jahili is one of the largest forts in the UAE and was built in the 1890s on orders from Zayed The First as the home to members of the Al Nahyan ruling family.
Between 2007 and 2008, the fort was restored by the Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage, who transformed it into a cultural centre and tourist attraction that now houses a permanent exhibition devoted to Wilfred Thesiger, the intrepid explorer, travel writer and photographer, who crossed the Empty Quarter twice in the 1940s, and a temporary exhibition gallery. Surrounded by a lush park, this enchanting fort won the prestigious Terra Award for the best Earthen Architecture in the world in 2016.
Qasr Al Muwaiji was home to generations of the Al Nahyan family and saw the birth of Sheikh Khalifa in 1948. The UNESCO World Heritage Site functioned not only as a home and an oasis in the desert but also as a place of rule and a focus for the community. The architectural gem now offers its visitors a variety of historical and traditional experiences associated with the venue, including oral narrations of the significant moments of Sheikh Khalifa’s life from his early childhood, leadership and vast national achievements.
It is a prestigious land mark of the city. British bought this piece of land from the King of Vijayanagar on 22nd August 1639 and built the Fort St. George and named the area as Madraspattinam. St.Mary�s Church built in 1860 is located inside the fort complex.
Tudor Ice Company was built in 1842 to store ice blocks. From then it is being called as Ice House even after the company’s closure. Bilagiri Iyengar, a noted Lawyer bought it in 1885 and named it “Castle Kernan” in honour of his Justice friend. Vivekananda stayed at the Ice House between 6 February 1897 to 14 February 1897. Every year this event is celebrated as Vivekananda Nava Rathiri. The pujas and festivals performed by the Ramakrishna Mutt were shifted to New Mutt premises in Mylapore. But the premises continued to be the Memorial of Swami Vivekananda. Later the Government took over the building in 1930. In 1963, on his birth centenary, it was renamed as Vivekanandar House. In 1999, on Centenary of Swamiji’s return to India from the United States, the house was renovated and opened a fresh by the then Chief Minister.
The iconic Louvre Abu Dhabi is the first universal museum in the Arab World that translates the spirit of openness of cultures. As one of the premier cultural institutions located in the heart of the Saadiyat Cultural District, the art-lovers dream displays the works of historical, cultural and sociological significance from ancient times to the contemporary era. Designed by Pritzker-prize winning architect Jean Nouvel, the Louvre Abu Dhabi encompasses 9,200 sq. m of galleries including the Permanent Gallery and a Temporary Gallery that is enriched by loans from many notable French museums including Musee du Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, and Centre Pompidou.
Recreating parts of UAE’s integral cultural elements, Nouvel designed a falaj-inspired water system running through the museum, inspired by ancient Arabian engineering whilst the orderly lace dome borrows inspiration from the interlaced palm leaves traditionally used as roofing material in many parts of the country that results in an enchanting play of light. The juxtaposition of different civilizations in the same spaces, the Louvre Abu Dhabi illustrates similarities and exchanges from the shared human experience going beyond geography, nationality, and history.
Qasr Al Hosn is the oldest and most significant building in Abu Dhabi, holding the city’s first permanent structure; the watchtower. Built around the 1790’s, the commanding structure overlooked the coastal trade routes and protected the growing settlement established on the island.
Qasr Al Hosn comprises of two major iconic buildings: the Inner Fort (originally constructed in 1795) and the Outer Palace (1939-45). Over the centuries, it has been home to the ruling family, the seat of government, a consultative council and a national archive; it now stands as the nation’s living memorial and the narrator of Abu Dhabi’s history.
Transformed into a museum in 2018 following more than eleven years of intensive conservation and restoration work, Qasr Al Hosn is a national monument that encapsulates the development of Abu Dhabi from a settlement reliant on fishing and pearling in the 18th century, to a modern, global metropolis, with displays of artefacts and archival materials dating back to as far as 6000 BC.
Borujerdi House is a traditional historic house in Kashan city of Isfahan Province. It was built in 1857 by the same architect who built the exquisite house nearby (Tabatabaei House), for its affluent merchant owner, Seyed Mehdi Natanzi. Borujerdi House is a brilliant example of vernacular architecture of the desert region of Iran. The house counts as one of the top Kashan tourist attractions.
Owner of Boroujerdi House Kashan (Borujerdi House), Seyed Mehdi Natanzi a wealthy merchant of Natanz known as Boroujerdi, fell in love with Seyed Jafar Tabatabaei’s daughter (one of the greatest carpet merchants of the time). In order to give him his consent to marry his daughter, he asked Seyed Mehdi Natanzi to build a house similar to his own house!
And he did so! to satisfy the demand of his future bride’s family. After seven years the construction of Andaruni yard (interior yard) and after 11 years the main hall were completed!
Tabatabaei House is a historic traditional house in the city of Kashan. Built in 1835, the house belonged to the affluent Tabatabaei family. The house measures 5,000 sqm and includes 40 rooms. Tabatabaei Historical House is the quintessential example of Iranian climate-adaptive vernacular architecture.
Tabatabaei House in Kashan is also known as “the bride” among all other traditional Houses. The reason behind this naming is the fact that the delicate beauty visible to the visitors of the mansion is one of a merit kind!
Tabatabaei Historical House is one of the well-preserved original Persian mansions of Iran. You will be astonished with the details of the Tabatabaei House architecture. Tabatabaei House in Kashan along with a couple of other mansions are the most visited Kashan attractions. Tabataba’iha House is occasionally used in the production of films portraying the old Iran.