The Russalka Memorial was built in 1902 by Amandus Adamson in memorial to those who lost their lives at the Gulf of Finland on the Russian navy vessel called Russalka.
The 16-metre sculpture was placed by the sea where the promenade from Kadriorg Palace comes down to meet the Bay of Tallinn. The monument depicts a bronze angel on a granite pillar pointing an Orthodox cross in the assumed direction of the sunken ship.
The representative square of Tallinn – Freedom Square is a popular meeting place designed for pedestrians. The monument to the War of Independence is also located there.
Over the years, the square has gone by many names: Heinaturg (Hay Market), Peetri plats (Peter’s Square), and Võiduväljak (Victory Square) among them. It was first named Freedom Square in 1939, remaining that way until 1948. The name was readopted in 1989.
The defensive structures found at archaeological excavations have been preserved and stored in the parking lot under the square; the remains of the guard gates of the defence tower can be seen at the end of Harju Street through a glass screen.
Tammsaare Park is located in the centre of Tallinn, between the Estonia Theatre and Viru Keskus shopping centre. In 1896, one corner of the park became the new site of Tallinn’s market, which was formerly located on Town Hall Square. From 1903–1905, the park was home to a giant wooden ‘Interimstheater’ – a barn-type hall that was a venue for theatre performances and cinema screenings. When this building burnt down, space was landscaped and pathways were constructed.
In 1978, a statue of A. H. Tammsaare was erected in the centre of the park to mark the Estonian author’s 100th birthday.
Tammsaare Park has modern lighting, white park furniture, and thousands of flower bulbs.
The Senate Square and its surroundings form a unique and cohesive example of Neoclassical architecture. The square is dominated by four buildings designed by Carl Ludvig Engel (1778-1840): Helsinki Cathedral, the Government Palace, the main building of the University of Helsinki and the National Library of Finland. A statue of Alexander II (1894) stands in the middle of the Senate Square. Helsinki Cathedral is arguably Finland's most famous and photographed building. The oldest stone building in Helsinki is the Sederholm House located on the southeast corner of the square. Today the building hosts the Helsinki City Museum. The Esplanade park and the Market Square are just a block away. The Senate Square also hosts a sound installation called the Sound of the Senate Square. It is a modern version of the European glockenspiel and can be heard every day at 17:49 as it travels from one building to the next. The composition runs for 5 minutes 18 seconds and is composed by Harri Viitanen and Jyrki Alakuijala.
The world famous composer Jean Sibelius' (1865-1957) monument by Eila Hiltunen is located at the Sibelius park. It was unveiled 7 September 1967. The Sibelius Monument, resembling organ pipes, is made of welded steel with over 600 pipes and with the bust of the composer on one side. The monument is one of Helsinki's most popular statues and one of the most well-known tourist attractions.
The monument dedicated to the 100th birthday of Paul Keres, an Estonian chess player and international grandmaster, is located on a square between Puškin Street and Peeter Square.
The authors of the monument are well-known Estonian sculptors Aivar Simson and Paul Mänd. Their idea was to make it possible for people to sit opposite to Keres behind the chessboard and think about the next move.
The monument depicts the game between Keres and Walter Browne in Vancouver in 1975. The monument mistakenly shows Keres playing with white pieces.
The sculpture is made of bronze.
The castle is visible wide around and has three towers with stately hoods. It appears to be one of Sweden's most powerful 16th-century castles, surprisingly well preserved despite rebuilding and decay. The estate has long belonged to the families Sture and Banér. It has been uninhabited since 1934. In recent years the restoration has recreated both exterior and interior and the castle is now on display as a museum. Since 1974, Ekenäs Castle has been a building monument.
Ekenäs Slott is a genuine fairytale castle, dating back to the 17th century. A popular jousting tournament is arranged in spring, guided tours in summer, ghost tours in autumn and Christmas market in winter. Just 20 km east of Linköping.
Its hilarious properties was in fact not discovered until after it was built, and has since become a simple but interesting tourist attraction.
The towers vault construction makes any sound made under the dome echo like crazy. You can hear even the smallest whisper or squeel. Throw some rocks, scream, laugh and have fun! The water tower is fun both for the young and the old.
The water tower is located just outside Teleborg, a couple of kilometres from town. You can go by car or take the bus. If the weather permits you can even walk, and take the chance to see some of the växjös beautiful lakes on the way.
At Langelinje Pier you will find one of Copenhagen's most famous tourist attractions: The sculpture of The Little Mermaid. 23 August 2013 she turned 100 years old.
Unveiled on 23 August 1913, The Little Mermaid was a gift from Danish brewer Carl Jacobsen to the City of Copenhagen.
The sculpture is made of bronze and granite and was inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale about a mermaid who gives up everything to be united with a young, handsome prince on land. Every morning and evening she swims to the surface from the bottom of the sea and, perched on her rock in the water, she stares longingly towards the shore hoping to catch a glimpse of her beloved prince.
Carl Jacobsen fell in love with the character after watching a ballet performance based on the fairy tale at the Royal Danish Theatre in Copenhagen. The brewer was so captivated by both the fairy tale and the ballet that he commissioned the sculptor Edvard Eriksen to create a sculpture of the mermaid.
The nature area around the Baldersbæk pleasure castle tells the story of the Copenhagen plantations, their owners and nature views in the early 1900s. Here are original sandstone statues from the Copenhagen Stock Exchange, lush carp dams and a smaller castle - which contrasts sharply with the once heathen pauperous landscape.
The area around Villa Baldersbæk was renovated in 2013-14, so it is possible to experience the many details of the place on the nearest team. There is a marked path that leads around the area to the Treherreds stone, the stone nozzle, the ice cellars, the carp ponds and the fountain "The insidious boy". (The boy can't hold tight and you start the beam by stepping on the step. The fountain is in operation in the summer).
The "castle", which is called the villa at Baldersbæk, is modelled with Frederiksdal Castle. There is no public access to the villa, but you can get close. The private area is clearly marked. The villa is still used for residential purposes.
Monument of the Revolutionary Deed is also known as the Revolutionary Memorial Walk and concerns, of course, battles waged in the Rzeszow region. This monument from the beginning aroused much controversy, and various associations. In the stylized laurel leaves some people saw a donkey ears, others had a more obscene connotations.
The general contractor was the work of Enterprise Works Road Krakow. Sculptures made in Krakow and they were installed on the monument at the end of 1973/74. In the spring of 1974 the monument was almost ready. In the absence of Wladyslaw Kruczek unveiling of the monument made in the company of George Gawrysiak deserving veterans, fighters, war veterans and accumulated large numbers of society. At the memorial held ceremonies like feta, fits, vows, etc. to give paraded before the grandstand on the May Day demonstrations.
The Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc is the largest group of Baroque statues within a single sculptural monument in Central Europe.
The column reaches a height of 35 metres and its lower part houses a chapel. The sculptural decoration is made of 18 stone sculptures of saints, 12 light-bearers and 6 relief busts of the apostles. The column is dominated by gilded copper sculptures of the Holy Trinity on the top and the Assumption of the Virgin beneath it. The larger-than-life figures are enveloped in light, airy drapery with lively expressions on their faces and corresponding gesticulations of their hands. The overall sculptural decoration has a natural and harmonious appearance without being exaggerated in the typically flamboyant and exaggerated Baroque mode.
The city square in the centre of Prague is a traditional venue for celebrations, demonstrations, and public gatherings. It was witness to many historic moments. It is also the second-largest square in the entire Czech Republic, and is a gathering place for Prague residents. When you say, "Let's meet at the horse," everyone knows that the meetup place is the equestrian statue of the patron saint of the Czech lands: the statue of St Wenceslas, which reigns over the entire square.
The Ivanova Gora (literally: Ivan’s Mount) is virtually a sacral place for Poltava locals: it is city’s historical core, where the whole complex of architectural and historical attractions, each having a status of Poltava’s highlight, is situated. This place is notable for being an excellent observation area that opens wonderful views of the city downtown and its most token structures.
The Ivanova Gora is a high picturesque hill that towers above the Vorskla River. Historians believe that it is there that the citadel of the annalistic town Ltava, the predecessor of modern Poltava, stood in the 12th century. Later, the earthen fortress, which held back the Swedish troops’ assault for three months during the Northern War, was built on the hill. One of its fifteen wooden towers, the Podolskaya Tower, was recently restored and added to Ivanova Gora’s list of attractions.
Another Ivanova Gora’s token monument and modern Poltava’s symbol, the monument to Galushka, is installed near the White Belvedere. It is a deep plate with twelve Galushkas (dumplings) and a large spoon, which stands on a pedestal shaped as a wooden tabletop. The monument was opened on the birthday of the most famous native of Poltava region, the eminent writer Nikolai Gogol, who immortalized this cult Ukrainian dish in his works. Every summer, an original Holiday of Poltava’s Galushka takes place near the monument.
The great fire of the original wooden houses in 1584 gave rise to Mikulov square in its present form. Part of the square, which is also the entrance to Mikulov Castle, is formed by houses with a Renaissance core and picturesque arcades.
Probably the most interesting of the Renaissance buildings is the bourgeois Knights’ House (dům U Rytířů), which was created after the rebuilding of several Gothic buildings in the second half of the 16th century. At first glance, you can not overlook it on the square due to its sgraffito decoration with biblical and ancient scenes covering two-thirds of the house. The painting draws attention to the fact that it was originally a two-story house. Another feature of the square is the statue of the Holy Trinity, in addition to showing the Trinity it also displays angels that symbolize faith, hope and love. The column is complemented by statues of St. John of Nepomuk, St. Francis Xavier and Charles Borromeo, who were supposed to protect the inhabitants of the city from the plague. The Plague Column was built during the reign of the Dietrichsteins in 1724.
The Monument to the Nibelungs or Nibelung Fountain is dedicated to a scene from the great medieval German epos: the meeting of Kriemhild, Queen of Burgundy, and Etzel, King of the Huns, in Tulln. It is depicted in a set of bronze sculptures by sculpture Michail Nogin.
The Nibelung Fountain is truly a sight to behold on summer nights. An integrated and esthetic light-water-stone composition of the fountain sculptor Hans Muhr lends the artwork even more depth: the fountains of water rise out of an open book – Lay of the Nibelung.
The fountains alternately become stronger on each side until their streams of water finally touch and mix – this feature also corresponds to the symbolism of two worlds, East and West, approaching each other in Tulln.
Column in honour of the Holy Trinity and the crowned queen of heavens, Mary. The Plague Column was erected in 1713 by order of the "Royal Town of Eisenstadt". It was meant to serve as plea to God to free the city from the plague.
On the pedestal there are representations of Saint Rochus, Sebastian, Kajetan, John of Nepomuk and Saint Rosalie. Right above them is a cartouche featuring the coat of arms of the city.
At the feet of Saint Francis there is a plaque with rolled up ends on both sides. On the slender, Corinthian column wrapped with bay leave twigs there are: God the Father and Jesus, as well as the coronation of Mary, above them all hovers the Holy Spirit.
Laid out in 1896 to mark the thousandth anniversary of Hungary, Heroes' Square (Hősök tere) is the largest and most impressive square of the city. Located at the end of Andrássy Avenue and next to City Park, Heroes’ Square is one of the most visited sights in Budapest. Surrounded by two important buildings, Museum of Fine Arts on the left and Kunsthalle (Hall of Art) on the right, Heroes’ Square is also a station of the Millennium Underground.
The Millennium Monument in the middle of the square was erected to commemorate the 1000-year-old history of the Magyars. Archangel Gabriel stands on top of the center pillar, holding the holy crown and the double cross of Christianity. The seven chieftains who led the Magyar tribes to Hungary can be seen on the stand below. Statues of kings and other important historical figures stand on top of the colonnades on either side of the center pillar.
The Cenad Palace (Palatul Cenad) is a three-story, 19th century, eclectic, neo-classical, architectural style palace located in the city of Arad, Romania. The palace was constructed with the sole purpose of functioning as the headquarters for Arad’s Railway Company. Funding for the palace was provided by the very wealthy and aristocratic Count Želenski Robert.
The Cenad Palace has an imposing presence in the Arad center. It is surrounded by many other eclectic and neo-classical style buildings which were Arad’s predominant architectural styles in the era of the late 19th century. The palace is considered and listed as one of Romania’s Historical Monuments.
The palace is shaped like an L and contains two spectacular towers on the front left and front right corners. There are four separate entrance gates which lead inside the building. The palace’s courtyard contains two dazzling 19th-century gas chandeliers which have been well preserved for many decades.
The Kazan Cat regularly appears on lists of the most interesting and unusual monuments of Russia. Its place is in the centre of Kazan, on the pedestrian Bauman street. It is a sculptural and architectural composition three metres high in the form of a well-fed cat lying on a couch with a mouse, under a tent roof.
The history of the Kazan Cat begins with the reign of Empress Elizabeth Petrovna. Based on historical legends, it is widely known that the Russian Empress learned that there are no mice in Kazan. The fact is that in those days, the cats of Kazan were excellent mice hunters of a special breed - strong, active, with a large head, a muscular neck and a short tail. By the highest order made on October 13, 1745, 30 Kazan cats were transported to St Petersburg to catch mice that had proliferated in the unfinished Winter Palace (also known as modern-day "Hermitage" Museum). Given their bestowed new role, the cats did their job, having saved the palace from harmful rodents.
The famous clock on Bauman street do not just show the time - it's a true piece of art made of bronze, created by the famous Kazan architect Igor Bashmakov. Immediately after installation, it became a popular meeting place for couples, and has been lovingly nicknamed the "lovers’ watch". Beloved by all, be sure to take a photo next to it during your visit. The top of the composition features figures of a boy, a pegasus and a goddess. A little lower – the clock dials, face different directions. The name of the numbers in the Tatar language on the dial is translated into Arabic. At the ends of the hour hands, the sun and the crescent moon are depicted, and poetic lines in Arabic are displayed along the dial's circumference.
You can't miss it, right in the beautiful historic center of Middelburg. Here, the imposing Abbey Tower de Lange Jan rises proudly above the many monuments in Middelburg. You should not miss the climb.
It takes a bit of climbing, 207 steps to be precise, but the view is worth this effort. The tower of the Lange Jan is 90.5 meters long (belongs to the top 10 tallest towers in the Netherlands). On clear days you can even see the surrounding Zeeland islands from the Lange Jan.
Unavoidable icon of Brussels en Belgium, important place for international tourism, unique creation in the history of architecture and emblematic vestige of the World fair in Brussels, the Atomium is today the most popular tourist attraction of Europe’s Capital.
The Atomium was constructed for the first post-war universal world exhibition (EXPO 58) The nine spheres represent an iron crystal magnified 165 billion times. They represent the faith one had in the power of science and moreover in nuclear power.
The Cinquantenaire park is comprised of a vast set of gardens dotted with monuments and museums. It is dominated by a triumphal arch with three arches. The park hosts numerous activities throughout the year: events, celebrations, firework displays, sporting events, concerts, etc.
This place of interest was built in 1880 for the 50th anniversary of the independence of Belgium. The broad pathways lead to the Pavilion of Human Passions designed by Victor Horta, the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces & Military History, the Royal Museums of Art and History and to Autoworld. At the top of the three triumphal arches there’s a bronze quadriga and an unbeatable sweeping view over the whole of Brussels.
Built in the park belonging to Hainaut’s counts, on the site of the former château, the building nicknamed “el Catiau” towers over the city. From the garden, the view of Mons is simply stunning. From the top of the hill, you can imagine the history of this city, the trials that it has had to live through over the centuries, and its influence through time, until it became the capital of Hainaut. Next to the belfry, the Sainte-Calixte Chapel remains the city’s oldest religious monument. This Roman style chapel was built in 1051 and now houses a museum where you can learn about the history of the old château and the restoration undergone by the belfry.
Ivan Meštrović’s masterpiece “Belgrade’s statue of the Victor” is just one part of the fountain that was planned to be the crowning jewel of Serbia’s capital. Fountain remained unfinished, and the Victor being too liberal for the eyes of war-ravaged Belgrade, was sent from a shed in Senjak, not to Terazije, but to the edges of Kalemegdan’s fortress instead, where the spirits that brought a new age upon us made it a symbol of Belgrade.
Three years before the World War I the Terazije’s Plateau was reconstructed so that between the two lanes was left enough space for a splendid fountain. City officials entrusted the construction of the fountain to the most famous Yugoslav sculptor – Ivan Mešrović. His idea was to make the commemorative drinking fountain with its central masterpiece, the Victor, which was supposed to symbolize the freedom of a five century long slavery under the Turks, and the final victory.
What does Nieuwpoort have in common with Namur, Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, Kortrijk and Bruges? In all of these cities you can find a statue of Albert I, the Soldier King. These bronze riders mark the way the German army invaded Belgium in 1914, up until Nieuwpoort where they came to a grinding halt. This was achieved through the power of seawater and the smart coordination of the sluices and locks.
But water wasn’t only an ally, it condemned Nieuwpoort to a crueller fate, the complete destruction of the city as first city at the front. A hundred years later the monument to King Albert I is a serene place in a beautiful landscape, surrounded by water. The ideal place to tell the story of the inundation. This happens in the hypermodern visitor centre ‘Westfront Nieuwpoort’ right under the 2500m² terrace of the monument, with a polyvalent inner circle and 3 exposition wings.
The Arch of Triumph in Bucharest was a modest monument, in the beginning, made of wood and built in 1878 after the Independence War to mark the victory parade on October 8 the same year. Two inscriptions were written in front of it: The defenders of Independence and Bucharest City. A statue representing The Victory was placed on the Arch. There were also written the names of the places were Romanians fought for freedom to remain on this symbol of triumph in the War of Independence against the Turkish Empire and of its domination which lasted for more than 300 years.
Made of pink marble from Ruschita and stone brought from 5 important Romanian quarries, the Arch of Triumph is 27 meters high and 25 meters wide and is considered a modern new Romanian architectural masterpiece. It is also one of the symbols and highlights of Bucharest.
Now, the Arch of Triumph is part of the tour the authorities thought might help foreign tourists and not only to discover the Romanian capital.
Standing proudly in Princes Street Gardens, the Scott Monument is one of the most iconic Edinburgh landmarks, a must-visit for tourists and locals alike. Dedicated to Sir Walter Scott, it is one of the largest monuments to a writer anywhere in the world.
Sitting proudly at the base of the monument is Sir Walter himself, carved in Carrara marble by Sir John Steel. This monumental statue, fashioned from a single piece of marble weighing 30 tons, took the sculptor six years to complete. It features Scott and his beloved hound Maida.
Join one of the tour guides to find out who Sir Walter Scott was, why such an impressive monument was in his honour and enjoy the breathtaking views of Edinburgh from the third-floor viewing platform - a truly unforgettable experience!
City Tower, a symbol of Rijeka and a good example of a typical round tower access-point, which lead into the fortified town. Today it dominates the central part of Korzo, although during its lifetime it was overtopped by more recently constructed buildings.
It was built in the Middle Ages, probably on the foundations of the Late Antique littoral town gates. Some baroque phases of its construction can be seen on the lower part of the front of the Tower, which are characterised by a richly decorated portal, an imperial coat of arms carved out of stone and relief of the Austrian emperors Leopold and Charles VI. Rijeka paid them special respect due to the maritime orientation they introduced into the state policies of the Austrian court. The Tower’s superstructure, on which a city clock has been situated since the 17th century, has been remodelled several times; most significantly at the turn of the 18th century under the guidance of municipal engineer A. Gnamb, the last time was at the end of the 19th century, based on a design by F. Bazarig.
On the promontory in front of the one-time cemetery, a girl of stone extends her arm to a gull. This, however, is a new sculpture, the work of sculptor Car, and it was erected here in 1956 and turned into one of Opatija’s symbols. Before that, in its place, namely until demolished by a storm, stood the “Madonna del Mare,” the work of sculptor Rathausky from Graz (his also is the fountain “Helios and Selene” in the park between St. Jacob’s Church and hotel Imperial). The “Madonna” was erected to keep vigil over the soul of count Arthur Kesselstadt, who vanished, not far off from that promontory swallowed by the pre-Easter waves in 1891. During that excursion, the countess Fries also lost her life, but her son Georg was saved. Today a gilded variant of the Madonna can be seen in front of Saint Jacob’s Church.
Located right in the centre of Opatija, St. James’ Park is a recognisable landmark of the town. The well-manicured green lawns and the harmony of colourful flowers make a perfect setting next to the Church of St. James.
The park is distinguished by its neo-baroque fountain with sculptures of Helios and Selene (the god of the Sun and goddess of the Moon in Greek mythology), a work by the sculptor Hans Rathausky. The park stretches down to the sea where the Juraj Šporer Art Pavilion is located – the venue of many artistic events and exhibitions.
The girl with the seagull is a symbol of Opatija and the whole of Kvarner. An elegant statue on a rock along the coastal promenade Lungomare in Opatija hides an interesting story and the identity of a girl who has been a secret for decades.
The story began back in 1891 when Count Arthur Kesselstadt tragically lost his life in a spring storm at sea in front of Opatija. Overwhelmed with pain, the count's family placed a sculpture "Madonna del Mare" on a rock by the sea to watch over his soul. Time left a mark on the sculpture and damaged it, but it was later restored. Today, the gilded replica is located next to the church of St. Jakov, and the original is kept in the Croatian Museum of Tourism in Villa Angiolina.
When the place where the "Madonna" once stood was left empty, it was decided to place a new sculpture on it. The "Girl with the Seagull" was set up in 1956 on a location with a beautiful sea view. The scene is especially impressive at night, when the sculpture is illuminated by special spotlights, or during storms, when waves crash against the shore and water spills over the rocks, creating the impression of a nymph born from foam. That is why this statue is often called the "Opatija nymph".
The heart of the city, nestled between Glasgow City Chambers and Queen Street train station, is a sprawling square sporting a baker's dozen worth of statues.
Ironically, the only statue missing is the titular George himself, King George III. Although one was originally planned, the planning and building of the Square itself coincided with the War of American Independence in the late 1700s. This caused many problems for the so called “Tobacco Lords,” Glaswegian merchants who made their fortunes in trade with the American colonies. This animosity was compounded by loss of the war in 1783, coupled with the fact that the monarch was gripped by insanity leading to his nickname, “The Mad King.” As a result, the powers in Glasgow decided instead to erect the first ever memorial commemorating Sir Walter Scott, the famous Scottish novelist. He is in good company, joined by fellow poets Robert Burns and Thomas Campbell, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, Prime Ministers Robert Peel and William Ewart Gladstone along with MP James Oswald, army commanders Lord Clyde and Sir John Moore, with engineer James Watt and chemist Thomas Graham.
The Memorial Gardens were commissioned in 1948 as Gardens of Remembrance which incorporate the impressive Cenotaph designed by architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, designer of the Cenotaph in London. The gardens provide an oasis of calm in the midst of a busy urban landscape.
Facilities include memorial benches, a play area and sensory gardens.
The “Golden Gate” was erected between the years 29 and 27 BC by the Sergi family, in honor of three members of the family who held important positions in Pula at that time. This triumphal arch leaned against the city gate Porta Aurea thus called because of its richly ornamented arch or gilded elements. The gate and wall were pulled down in the beginning of the 19th century as a result of the city expansion outside the city walls.
The Arch was constructed in Corinthian style with strong Hellenistic and Asia Minor influences both in the method and ornaments. As the eastern side was not visible it has remained for the most part uncarved, while the western, town side is richly decorated. Today numerous cultural performances, theatrical and musical, are held on the square next to the Arch. The adjacent street is a shopping area.