At World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument, home of the USS Arizona Memorial, learn about one of the most pivotal moments in US history: the attack on Pearl Harbor, and the subsequent entry of the United States into World War II. The monument preserves and interprets the stories of the Pacific War, from the internment of Japanese Americans to the battles in the Aleutians.
The World War II Guadalcanal American Memorial is located on Skyline Drive overlooking the town of Honiara, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands. It was built through the joint efforts of ABMC and the Guadalcanal-Solomon Islands Memorial Commission.
It honours those Americans and its allies who lost their lives during the Guadalcanal Campaign of World War II (August 7, 1942, to February 9, 1943). The memorial consists of a 4-foot square, 24-foot tall pylon on which is inscribed: This memorial has been erected by the United States of America in humble tribute to its sons and its allies who paid the ultimate sacrifice for the liberation of the Solomon Islands 1942-1943.
There are four directional walls pointing to the four major battle areas. Inscribed on these walls are a description of the battles and a listing of the U.S. and Allied ships that were lost.
This museum is the one-time home the “Messenger of the Alamo,” Susanna Dickinson, a survivor of the 1836 Battle of the Alamo who carried the news of its fall to General Sam Houston. Her eyewitness account of the battle remains a benchmark for historians. Inside, the museum houses rare Dickinson family artefacts and a library area where you can peruse the history of early Texan life and other historic frontier women. Her home was opened as a museum on March 2, 2010, Texas Independence Day.
While you are in the Capital City, visit the USS KIDD, which is located in the heart of scenic downtown Baton Rouge. If you're looking for a unique, family-friendly or historical place to visit, the USS KIDD is a perfect attraction for all visitors.
WWII Fletcher-class destroyer restored to her 1945 appearance with over 50 inner spaces to see. Veterans Museum displays include a P-40 aircraft, ship models, full-scale replica of gun deck of Old Ironsides, the Louisiana Memorial Plaza a memorial to all Louisiana service members lost in combat, and a Corsair A-7E jet as a memorial to Vietnam Veterans. Allow approximately 1½ hours for touring.
Hiroshima's Peace Memorial Park (平和記念公園, Heiwa Kinen Kōen) is one of the most prominent features of the city. Even visitors not looking for it will likely stumble upon the large park of over 120,000 square meters. Its trees, lawns, and walking paths are in stark contrast to the surrounding downtown area.
Before the bomb, the area of what is now the Peace Park was the political and commercial heart of the city. For this reason, it was chosen as the pilot's target. Four years to the day after the bomb was dropped, it was decided that the area would not be redeveloped but instead devoted to peace memorial facilities.
Father of Belize's Independence 1981 and Founder of the City of Belmopan 1970.
A man who has dedicated fifty eight years of his life to the Government and people of Belize.
As First Minister, he initiated the process for Belize to become an independent country, which finally occurred in 1981. After independence, Price became the first Prime Minister of Belize and served in various government posts until 1996. In 2000, Price became the first person to be given the Order of National Hero, the highest honor in Belize.
International sobriety support group Alcoholics Anonymous originated at the home of Dr. Bob Smith, who founded AA in the 1930s. The haven that once welcomed suffering alcoholics now welcomes visitors, who can see exhibits dedicated to Dr. Bob's life and studies.
"In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever."Beneath these words, the 16th President of the United States—the Great Emancipator and preserver of the nation during the Civil War—sits immortalized in marble. Since its dedication on Memorial Day, 1922, the Lincoln Memorial has become the site of some of the nation’s most important social demonstrations, perhaps most notably Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech.Lincoln is surrounded by 36 Doric columns, one for each state at the time of his death. By the time construction was finished, 12 more states had joined the Union, so the names of all 48 states are carved around the top of the 99 foot tall structure. A plaque for Alaska and Hawaii was added later. The Southern and Northern interior walls of the memorial are inscribed with the full text of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and 2nd Inaugural Address, respectively. Construction was completed in May, 1922 and the Lincoln Memorial was dedicated on Memorial Day, May 30, 1922.
Built to honor George Washington, the United States' first president, the 555-foot marble obelisk towers over Washington, D.C.George Washington's military and political leadership were indispensable to the founding of the United States. As commander of the Continental Army, he rallied Americans from thirteen divergent states and outlasted Britain's superior military force. As the first president, Washington's superb leadership set the standard for each president that has succeeded him. The Washington Monument towers above the city that bears his name, serving as an awe-inspiring reminder of George Washington's greatness. The monument, like the man, stands in no one's shadow.The Washington Monument, designed by Robert Mills and eventually completed by Thomas Casey and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, honors and memorializes George Washington at the center of the nation's capital. The structure was completed in two phases of construction, one private (1848-1854) and one public (1876-1884). Built in the shape of an Egyptian obelisk, evoking the timelessness of ancient civilizations, the Washington Monument embodies the awe, respect, and gratitude the nation felt for its most essential Founding Father. When completed, the Washington Monument was the tallest building in the world at 555 feet, 5-1/8 inches.
The Civil Rights Garden is a tranquil public sculpture garden comprised of 11 granite columns, winding pathways, plants, flowers, Gingko trees and sculptures with inscriptions related to the history, events and people of the Civil Rights movement.
This is the main square in the heart of Ulaanbaatar. A large statue of Sukhbaatar, the famous patriot characterizes the square, and the square is named after this historic figure. Such important buildings as the Parliament House, Stock Exchange, the Drama Theater and Cultural Palace are located surrounding the square.
Sukhbaatar square was formed in the early part of the XIX century by the name of the Great Universe. The northern edge of the Great Pleasure was the Yellow Castle (south of the existing Child Center Center), the southern edge of the Choijin Lama Temple, the left and right sides of the monastery, and the lords.
The design of the monument D. Sukhbaatar's statue was created by sculptor Ch. Boghola. The draft of the statue, depicted on the cliffs of the jujube, is on February 23, 1946, by the Council of Ministers and the Central Committee of the MPRP 13/3. According to the decree, the statue was built shortly in the centre of the Indians and opened on the 8th of July 1946 on the 25th anniversary of the People's Revolution. Since then, Indra Square was renamed Sukhbaatar square.
The four-meter tall statue of granite, made of granite, was set at a height of 12 meters above the base of a sunny, high-rise staircase. On the sides of the concrete roof, the revolutionary event is emblazoned on the left side: "Our country unites unity and unites a single force, united where there is no place to go, and no one can know and can not find pleasure in pleasure. we have the courage to know our hearts. " The 14 statues of white lions connected to the outside of the statue were symbolically placed on the exterior of the statue of the 14 white lions.
This tall landmark in front of the city offers the best views of Ulaanbaatar and the surrounding nature. The large monuments on the top of the hill were erected for the memory of soldiers died in World War II.
Zaisan Hill is a perfect blend of modern architecture and tradition and history. Until recently, it was most well-known for the Zaisan Hill Monument atop the hill, a beautiful circular structure with a mural honoring allied Mongol and Soviet soldiers who fell during World War II. Now the hill is also home to a sprawling modern complex with plenty of amenities for tourists and residents alike.
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum in Ba Dinh Square is one of the most visited attractions in Hanoi. It is the final resting place of Ho Chi Minh, the most iconic and popular leader of Vietnam, known to his people as ‘Uncle Ho’. His body is preserved here in a glass case at the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum in central Hanoi (albeit against his wishes).
For visitors, a trip to Uncle Ho’s final resting place can be an extraordinary experience as it is not just an average attraction; it’s a part of a unique history.
Started in 1973, the construction of the mausoleum was modelled on Lenin's mausoleum in Russia and was first open to the public in 1975. The granite building meant a great deal for many locals as it ensures that their beloved leader ‘lives on forever’.
Security is tight and visitors should dress with respect (no shorts, sleeveless shirts and miniskirts) and everyone has to deposit their bags and cameras before getting in. Visitors are not allowed to stop and hold the constant queue up as the place is constantly busy. Uncle Ho’s remains are sent yearly to Russia for maintenance therefore the mausoleum is closed usually from October onwards. It’s best to recheck with your hotel tour desk before visiting. Admission is free but donations are accepted.
The young George Washington and his ailing brother Lawrence resided in this historic plantation house, also known as Bush Hill House, for two months in 1751. Barbados was the only country ever visited by the future “First Father” of his country and Bush Hill House the only house he ever lived in outside of the continental United States.
Accessible only from George Washington House and Museum, these tunnels were re-discovered purely by chance in June 2011. Built sometime during the 1820s the system is soon to be 200 years old and includes at least 9 tunnels in the Savannah area with others.
Originally constructed to provide drainage to the area (the first such system in Barbados), oral history has indicated that they were adopted for use as ‘escape routes’ for the Garrison troops, should the area have ever been invaded, and other clandestine uses.
The memorial church was consecrated in 2003 at the site of execution of the last Russian emperor Nicholas II and his family. One of the largest churches in Ekaterinburg and pilgrimage destination for people from all over Russia, it was built in 2000-2003 at the site of execution of the last Russian emperor Nicholas II and his family, which took place on the night of July 16-17, 1918. This is the third church-on-the-blood in Russia after the ones in Uglich (built on the spot of tsarevich Dmitry’s murder in 1591) and St. Petersburg (built on the spot where Emperor Alexander II was assassinated in 1881).
Panfilovets’ Park is located in central-east Almaty in the area surrounding Zenkov Cathedral. The park is dedicated and named after the Panfilov Heroes. The memorial in the park is in memory of the 28 soldiers of an Almaty infantry unit who died fighting the Nazis outside Moscow. Ivan Panfilov was the name of the General commanding the 316 division who, in spite of suffering heavy casualties, managed to significantly delay the enemy’s advance on the capital, buying time for the defenders of the city.
An eternal flame commemorating the fallen of 1917-20 (the Civil War) and 1941-45 (WWII), burns in front of the giant black monument of soldiers from all 15 Soviet republics.
The Park itself is a very popular local green area within the city of Almaty. A good place to sit, rest and contemplate the sights of the city.
The Russalka Memorial was built in 1902 by Amandus Adamson in memorial to those who lost their lives at the Gulf of Finland on the Russian navy vessel called Russalka.
The 16-metre sculpture was placed by the sea where the promenade from Kadriorg Palace comes down to meet the Bay of Tallinn. The monument depicts a bronze angel on a granite pillar pointing an Orthodox cross in the assumed direction of the sunken ship.
"Park Pobedy" ("Victory Park") occupies an area of 50 hectares, covered with 1418 planted trees and bushes – the number of days of the duration of WWII. A pantheon surrounds the Eternal Flame, where the names of the Kazan victims who died in the war are engraved on the marble tablets. The 42-metre "Pobeda" ("Victory") stele is also nearby, where at the foot of it stands a sculptural composition - a mother with a child in her arms and a soldier with a sword defending them. The park is a real, outdoor museum featuring old military equipment in the open air. Most of these were built at the Kazan manufacturing plants during the war. Locals like to come to the park with their children, who especially like to climb on the tanks and wings of aircraft. A picturesque lake with wild ducks, which you can feed stretches out alongside the park.
National Martyrs Memorial is situated in Nabinagar, Savar approximately 35 km from Dhaka. The memorial designed by architect Moinul Hossain is dedicated to the sacred memory of the millions of unknown martyrs of the war of liberation.
This Martyrs Memorial is a symbol of Bengali nationalism. It is really a scenic beauty of 108 acre of land. The top of this monument is 150 ft. high, which consists other 07 triangular monuments. Its open 07 days a week besides this monument you can enjoy your foods in Parjatan restaurant opposite of memorial gate.
Lenin’s mausoleum in Moscow’s Red Square offers up one of Moscow’s most macabre attractions and perhaps the most famous “modern mummy” in the world.
Frozen in time, Vladimir Ilych Lenin’s embalmed body lays within a red granite and black labratorite step-pyramid. Here visitors may gaze on it in the dark, cool of the tomb. The sarcophagus is kept at a constant temperature of 16° C (61° F) and humidity of 80 - 90 percent. Weekly, a mild bleach is used to fight discoloring fungus and mold on Lenin’s skin, and every eighteen months the corpse undergoes a chemical bath of glycerol and potassium for thirty days while the mausoleum is closed. During this time, Lenin’s clothes are washed and carefully ironed. And every three years, Lenin receives a new suit.
Lenin can be viewed for five minutes at a time in small groups under the watchful eye of guards in every corner of the room.
The Memorial Gardens were commissioned in 1948 as Gardens of Remembrance which incorporate the impressive Cenotaph designed by architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, designer of the Cenotaph in London. The gardens provide an oasis of calm in the midst of a busy urban landscape.
Facilities include memorial benches, a play area and sensory gardens.
Discover the life and work of William Booth – Nottingham’s most famous preacher and social reformer and founder of The Salvation Army – at The William Booth Birthplace Museum.
Travel back in time to William’s home as it would have appeared in 1829 and explore how William turned his vision into reality.
Victoria Park is a fine green space next to the University of Leicester campus.
The centrepiece of the park is the magnificent memorial arch, built to commemorate the dead of the First World War. The arch was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, as were the beautiful wrought iron gates at the parks Peace Walk and London Road entrances.
The area served as the city's racecourse until 1883; upon the racing find a new home at Leicester Racecourse in Oadby, the area was transformed and is now a peaceful retreat from the buzz of the city.
The park has areas of formal flowerbeds as well as winding pathways shaded by avenues of trees– perfect for finding some shade and enjoying a picnic or a good book on a summer’s day.
For more active visitors, the park is home to a bowling green, croquet area, 4 tennis courts, football and rugby pitches, a floodlit Astro pitch and an outdoor gym.
Kazerne Dossin is a very special place of remembrance for Belgium. As 'SS Sammellager Mecheln', the Dossin barracks was a waitingroom for death for more than 25,000 Jews and gypsies from Belgium and Northern France during the Second World War.
A brand-new museum has been built to record the historical significance of this place for present and future generations and to illustrate themes like racism, exclusion and human rights. The combination of the human rights theme and the historical story of the Holocaust in Belgium makes Kazerne Dossin a project of European interest. The new museum was designed by leading architect and former Flemish Government Architect bOb Van Reeth.
It is a beautiful park in the heart of the city on the Mall Road. In the centre of the park is a building known as Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial. After the first World War there was an Orthopedic Rehabilitation Hospital in this building. It is now known as Ganesh Udyan.
The Glass Museum, at the Bois du Cazier in Marcinelle, retraces five thousand years of art, history and technology.
The collections are presented from an innovative angle: a backwards chronology invites the visitor on a completely new voyage, from the present day to the origins of glass.
Also available Glass-blowing demonstrations with a blowtorch in the workshop.
Guided tours can be arranged in Dutch, English, French or Italian. Booking required.
This imposing memorial, standing at the end of a vast cemetery, pays tribute to the Australian soldiers who perished during the Great War. It was in Villers-Bretonneux that they finally halted the German offensive in April 1918. Anzac Day is commemorated there every year in April.
Taj Mahal is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. It is situated on the bank of river yamuna in the city of Agra (India). Taj is a symbol of the great Mughal heritage of India. Taj Mahal monument is a symbol of the eternity of love. Experiencing Taj Mahal Monument is like a journey back to the magnificent Mughal Empire. It is simply the expression of emotions in a structural form. Taj Mahal is a monument of love. So, it's a place worth visiting to memorize the love in your life. The Taj Mahal monument was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in 1631 as a tribute to his loving wife Mumtaz Mahal.
At the heart of the Parc des Bastions, the main protagonists of the Reformation, John Calvin, William Farel, Theodore Beza and John Knox, are depicted in giant statues and bas-reliefs. Geneva's 'Post Tenebras Lux' motto is engraved in the wall. As you leave the park, explore the splendid Place de Neuve and its various artistic haunts.
Walking the length of the island takes about 20 minutes, but most visitors spend time at the Hajós Alfréd and the Palatinus outdoor pools. The Palatinus water park is a popular place in the summer, especially on the weekends. The 11 outdoor pools, including two for children, are in a beautiful setting. If it is too cold to go for a swim, an island tour introduces relics hailing back to the island's religious origins, including a 12th century convent and ruins of a Franciscan and a Dominican church. During summer months, bicycles, inline skates and 'bringóhintó', a four-wheeled bike for four, are available for rent. Since vehicles are prohibited, the island is a fantastic escape from the bustle of the big city and a great place to work out, swim a few laps, or go for a run.
Other attractions on the island include the Centennial Memorial which commemorates the 100th anniversary of Budapest, a Japanese Garden, a tiny zoo, a music fountain, and an octagonal water tower, built in Art Nouveau style in 1911. The outdoor theater hosts operas, concerts and plays during summer.
The thermal water on Margaret Island is famous for its healing effects. The natural, thermal water running beneath the island was first brought to the surface in 1886. In addition to its healing power, a day at the Danubius Health Spa is also a great way to relax and unwind.
This white marbled architecture is a memorial site of a Rajput clan. This cenotaph was built in the 19th century by Maharaja Sardar Singh in the memory of his father, Maharaja Jaswant Singh II, the 33rd Rathore ruler of Jodhpur.
One should visit this memorial, which has a temple like architecture, on their tour to Jodhpur. Jaswant Thada is a perfect example of architectural brilliance. The architecture is made of white marbles which are so fine that the outer surface of the whole building emits a warm glow during sunlight. Currently it exhibits a variety of paintings and portraits of Jodhpur rulers.
The stories about the sphinx in Zadar and the treasure buried under it were the inspiration for many fantasies of generations of Zadar inhabitants.
The replica of the Egyptian Sfinx in Zadar had the relief of an eagle, and instead of claws, it had fingers with which it was once holding a big sword for the protection of a shell with a little fishpond.
Devastated by the pain because of the premature loss of his wife Attilia, the famous Zadar citizen Giovanni Smirić in 1901 built a sphinx made of concrete in her honour. It can be found in the part of the city called Brodarica, within the space of the Villa Atilia and the park in the bay Maestral, and according to a legend it fulfils love wishes to romantic souls.
The Millennium Cross (Macedonian: Милениумски крст, Latinic: Mileniumski krst) is a 66 metre-high cross situated on the top of the Vodno Mountain in Skopje, Republic of Macedonia. It was constructed to serve as a memorial of 2,000 years of Christianity in Macedonia and the world. The construction of the cross began in 2002 and was funded by the Macedonian Orthodox Church, the Macedonian government and donations from Macedonians from all over the world. The cross was built on the highest point of the Vodno mountain on a place known since the time of the Ottoman Empire as "Krstovar", meaning "Place of the cross", as there was a smaller cross situated there. On 8 September 2008, the independence day of the Republic of Macedonia, an elevator was installed inside the cross. In 2009, a restaurant and a souvenir shop were opened next to the cross. In 2011 the Millennium Cross ropeway was opened. The ropeway is three and a half km long. At night the cross shines down over the city.
Before building of Anitkabir, Anittepe’s (Monument Hill ) name was Rasattepe (Observation Hill) because there was an observatory on this hill.
There were also tumultuous (graves) belonging to Phrygian civilization of 3rd Century BC on this hill. Archaeological excavations took place to remove these tombs after the decision was given to build Anitkabir on Rasattepe. Remains found on these excavations are on display in the museum of Anatolian Civilizations.
The first stage to start the construction was the expropriation of the land after deciding on the Anitkabir project. Actual construction of Anitkabir commenced on 9 October 1944 with a splendid ceremony by laying the first stone of the foundation. Construction of Anitkabir took nine years in four stages. Second stage construction, comprising the mausoleum and the auxiliary buildings surrounding the ceremonial ground, started on 29 September 1945 and completed on 8 August 1950.
The third stage was comprising the construction of the roads leading to the mausoleum, Lions’ alley, ceremonial ground, the mausoleum’s upper-level stone pavement, grand stairs, putting the big tomb stone in its place and installation of electricity, plumbing and heating systems.