The Tuileries Gardens take their name from the tile factories which previously stood on the site where Queen Catherine de Medici built the Palais des Tuileries in 1564. André Le Nôtre, the famous gardener of King Louis XIV, re-landscaped the gardens in 1664 to give them their current French formal garden style. The gardens, which separate the Louvre from the Place de la Concorde, are a pleasant place for walking and for culture for Parisians and tourists; Maillol statues stand alongside those of Rodin or Giacometti. The gardens’ two ponds are perfect places to relax by. The Musée de l’Orangerie, where visitors can admire the works of Monet, is in the south-west part of the Tuileries. From March to December, free tours in French are organized. Lovers of candyfloss and fairground rides will enjoy the Fête des Tuileries, from June to August.
The Doornpanne, together with De Hoge Blekker and De Schipgatduinen, forms a 240-hectare dune massif. The area comprises various types of dune, from drift dunes and dune grasslands to densely grown pans and fixed inner dunes. A belt of drifting dunes is situated around it, including the highest dune top on the Flemish coast (Hoge Blekker 33 m). The Doornpanne has been a protected landscape since 1975 and was therefore included in the list of nature areas with European protection
The central walking and cycling path connects the Witte Burg with the Hoge Blekker. Part of this path is part of the signposted Kustfietsroute and was laid out in shell clay. Following on from this path, the IWVA constructed a hiking trail in chopping wood, to allow the southeastern part of the nature reserve to be explored. A nature trail (3 km) was also laid out along which the walker is invited to appeal to all the senses and in this way discover the Doornpanne. There is also the Doornpannewandelpad (8 km) from the province of West Flanders.
Set right in the heart of London, Hyde Park offers both world-class events and concerts together with plenty of quiet places to relax and unwind.
Dip your toes in the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain, brave an open water swim in the Serpentine, or just admire the views across the lake from a waterside café.
Have a go at boating, tennis, horse riding, or join the many joggers, walkers and cyclists enjoying the open air.
Hyde Park has a long history as a site of protest, and still hosts rallies and marches today. Visit Speakers’ Corner on a Sunday morning to hear people from all walks of life share their views. Hyde Park is one of London’s eight Royal Parks and covers an area of 350 acres.
Windsor Great Park covers 4,800 acres, parts of which are open to the public. Its present area was determined in the 1360s and was popular with Saxon kings as a hunting forest. The park is shrouded in mystery and legend and for over 1,000 years the story of Herne the Hunter has been told. His ghost still appears wearing the antlers of a stag, riding a phantom black stallion at the head of a pack of black hounds. He appears to warn of times of trouble and gallops through Windsor Great Park only to disappear into thin air.
The park today is the perfect place for picnics, eating, shopping, running, walking, cycling, horse riding and fishing. Families will love the children's play area near The Savill Garden.
Influenced by the style of an English garden Le Parc de la Tete d’Or is the largest urban park in France and contains numerous attractions for all the family including a zoo, boating lake, botanical gardens, miniature railway, pony rides for children and more.It’s an excellent place to relax and enjoy the natural beauty and includes dozens of trails for walking, jogging or bicycling and large open spaces for activities and picnics.Created in 1857 by the brothers Denis and Eugène Buhler in the same year as New York’s famous Central Park, Le Parc de la Tete d’Or has seen numerous additions since it’s initial creation, including in 1865 the impressive glass houses containing species of plants and flowers from all over the world and in the 1960’s the inclusion of the rose gardens featuring 30,000 rose bushes comprising 350 different varieties.The name of the park originates from a legend that says treasure with the “head of Christ” could be buried somewhere in the park.France’s second public zoo after the Ménagerie du Jardin des Plantes in Paris contains almost 400 different animals divided into 64 different species.The last 10 years have seen improvements to the zoo’s infrastructure including in 2006 the new African Savannah featuring zebra, giraffes and pink flamingos. The zoo is a member of EAZA (European Association of Zoos and Aquariums and is dedicated to the preservation of species threatened by extinction.
Perfect for a relaxing stroll or bike ride, the Barrage embankment is situated in a stunning maritime setting and offers spectacular views over Cardiff Bay and the Severn Estuary. Thanks to its flat gradient and lack of steps, it’s accessible for all visitors.
A variety of leisure activities take place along the Barrage embankment at the children’s play area, Skate Plaza and adiZone outdoor gym. Visitors can also peruse the free exhibitions, have a sit-down and selfie with The Enormous Crocodile, and take a pit-stop at the RSPB-run Hafren Café.
The Quarry is Shrewsbury's beautiful, 29-acre parkland, encircled by the majestic loop of the River Severn. The Quarry has been Shrewsbury's most important site for recreation since the 16th Century. It still provides the perfect place to relax, enjoy walks, picnic, fish along the banks of the River Severn, or just let off steam.
At the heart of the Quarry lies the Dingle, a floral masterpiece cultivated by world-renowned gardener Percy Thrower, who served as Parks Superintendent for 28 years. It's a delightful sunken garden landscaped with alpine borders, brilliant bedding plants, shrubbery and charming water features.
For two days each August The Quarry comes alive with more than 3 million blooms, as the park hosts Shrewsbury Flower Show. There is also show jumping, arena entertainment and top military bands, as well as a spectacular firework display.
Roundhay Park in Leeds, is one of the biggest city parks in Europe. It has over 700 acres of parkland, lakes, woodland and gardens which are owned by Leeds City Council. The park is one of the most popular in Europe.
In the park you can find an abundance of wildlife including woodpeckers, common warblers in spring and summer, mute swans, visiting whooper swans, great-crested grebes and herons. Mammals include foxes, roe deer, voles, moles, rabbits and grey squirrels. There are good crops of crocus in spring, followed by daffodils and bluebells and gorse is present in the northern side of the park.
This popular park in North Leeds is renowned for its wonderful gardens, popular tea rooms and circular lakeside walk.
At 136 acres, this is a large park and is near to two of Leeds' most treasured nature reserves: Breary Marsh and Adel Dam. It's also on the route of the Leeds Country Way and the Meanwood Valley Trail.
Maschsee is a maritime paradise right in the city centre! 190 acres of recreational area! Relaxation, walks, restaurants, jogging, parties – the Maschsee Lake means going on holiday right next door. Many people enjoy pursuing a variety of water sports here on sunny days. The favourite meeting place is by the Torchbearer on the North Shore.
The Maschsee Lake offers the people of Hannover a recreational area in the heart of the city, both on the water and all around it: for yachting, canoeing and pedal-boating, for joggers, skaters and strollers. On the banks of the lake you will find the celebrated Sprengel Museum Hannover.
Right opposite, you can stroll through the idyllic Maschpark to reach the magnificent New Town Hall. Travelling up to the 97-metre high Town Hall dome in the unique curving lift is an experience in itself: from the top, you can see as far as the Deister Hills. And every visitor who is not already convinced of the fact can clearly see from here that Hannover is Germany’s greenest city!
The 390-acre Stanley Park is a landmark in its own right, with a magical blend of architecture, horticulture and recreation. Stanley Park abounds in wildlife and its features appeal to the naturalist, the plant lover or one who would do nothing more than relax in elegant surroundings. Delightful horticultural displays can be found throughout the park. Don’t miss the Italian gardens, water fountains, statues, rose gardens and Remembrance Garden. Admire the impressive Cocker Tower - a memorial to Blackpool’s first Mayor Dr William Cocker, the bandstand and ornamental bridges over the lake.
Stanley Park has a long sporting history and offers the best facilities in resort from a game of pitch and putt to a round of golf, a trim trail, athletic arena and a sports club for all keep-fit enthusiasts, plus play facilities for the children.
At Olympiaberg in Munich, every skier can find just the right slope. The highest hill in the city offers a variety of options for descending: gently descending slopes for everyone who wants to learn to ski and bobsled, and steep descents for those who like to fly across the snow.
The Olympic Park in northern Munich is well known beyond the borders of the capital city. The unique tent architecture of the buildings and the Olympic Tower are some of Munich’s well known landmarks. After the Olympic Games in 1972, a 300-hectare-sized park was developed into a recreation center for the entire city. Joggers, cyclists, and walkers take their laps here, and swimmers do lengths in the Olympic swimming facility.
At over 50 meters (150 feet) high, the Olympic Hill towers over the park grounds and is an ideal spot to enjoy a view of the roofs of Munich and to the mountains beyond.
The tourist reputation of Promenade des Anglais has gone beyond the French or European borders. At present, the famed promenade is a landmark of Nice, from both an infrastructural and a tourist point of view. In fact, its importance for the commercial and tourist platform of the city is reflected by its structure and use.
By following the promenade, visitors have the opportunity to stumble on some of the top attractions and architectural marvels of Nice. First of all, it’s the beaches. Most of the beaches in Nice (either private or otherwise) nestle between Baie des Anges and Promenade des Anglais being accessible from the promenade side. Secondly, sights like the Phoenix Park with its imposing Museum of Asian Arts, Palais de la Mediterranee and Hotel Negresco, all are accessible from the proud promenade.
On top of that, the street is lined with bars and restaurants where tourists can relax and have a refreshment. Plenty of the bike stands managed by Velo Bleu are also located on Promenade des Anglais. The promenade obviously has something to offer to everyone: it is ideal for sightseeing tours, it provides access to the beach and it is practicable for roller-skaters and cyclists.
St Stephen’s Green Park is a historical park and garden, located in the centre of Dublin city.
Cared for by the Office of Public Works, the park is an important public resource in the area, and provides an oasis of green calm in the middle of a bustling city. Its four centuries of history are eventful and complex, involving such important figures as Arthur Guinness, 1st Baron Ardilaun, and Countess Constance Markievicz. The park itself hosts a large number of important sculptural monuments to Irish history. Many species of birds and plants also call the park their home. Public facilities at St Stephen’s Green Park include a playground and a garden for the visually impaired.
The Phoenix Park is the largest enclosed public park in any capital city in Europe.
It was originally formed as a royal hunting Park in the 1660s and opened to the public in 1747. A large herd of fallow deer still remain to this day. The Park is also home to the Zoological Gardens, Áras an Uachtaráin, and Victorian flower gardens The Phoenix Park is only a mile and a half from O’Connell Street. Both passive and active recreational pursuits may be viewed or pursued such as walking, running, polo, cricket, hurling, and many more. The Glen Pond is set in very scenic surrounds in the Furry Glen. There are many walks and cycle trails available to the public.
The Gaisberg is a popular local mountain just a few kilometers from the city center of Salzburg itself. With an elevation of 1287 m above sea level, it is an absolute Eldorado for recreational sports, hiking and nature. Readily accessible year-round, for the most part it is also suitable for children, with all kinds of opportunities for outdoor exercise, games and a bite to eat.
In summer, the Gaisberg is an inviting destination for road cycling, mountain biking and hiking. “High-flyers” love to launch themselves from the top of the Gaisberg by paraglider – while spectators still summoning the courage to emulate them look on admiringly and allow themselves to be inspired. Yet another summer highlight is the Gaisberg Race for vintage automobiles. In winter, the outdoor program includes ski touring and cross-country skiing: hiking paths and touring routes are kept nicely maintained, while the XC trails are freshly tracked almost every day.
In Klagenfurt, you will find its wonderful eastern bay, which stretches to Maria Wörth. The public lidos in Klagenfurt, Maria Loretto and Maiernigg invite you to bathe in one of the warmest alpine lakes in Europe, with green sunbathing lawns and shady trees. Boat hire and fun sports, such as banana rides or Water Walking, will turn a day at the lake into a small adventure. In the spacious parklands which make up Europapark, with its skater park and adventure playground, you can relax, do sports or simply enjoy a delicious ice cream on a leisurely walk.
Here in Klagenfurt, pleasant walks and bicycle tours often begin along the Lendkanal or on the shore of Lake Wörthersee. The Loretto peninsular is an idyllic location that juts out into the water, with a bar and restaurant there offering pleasant refreshment opportunities. The Kreuzbergl also reveals itself as a peaceful oasis: Just a few minutes’ walk from the town center itself, visitors are able to stroll through the forest and past small ponds.
The forest park Punta Corrente (Golden Cape) is one of the most important natural attractions of Rovinj. At the end of the nineteenth century, Georg Hütterott bought four Rovinj islands (St. Andrew, Maskin, Sturag and San Giovanni) and began cleaning up an area of about 90 hectares on the Golden Cape to build a spa. His premature death interrupted the realization of this ambitious project, but his vision remained and contributed to the development of tourism in this area.
The uniqueness of Punta Corrente has been recognized in 1961 and declared a nature park.
Golden Cape is ideal for various sporting activities such as running, cycling, gymnastics. The old quarry has been transformed into a paradise for lovers of free climbing. The park is perfect for a leisurely stroll. The whole area is closed to traffic from motor vehicles.
The beaches of Punta Corrente are worth a visit. As in the rest of the coast, there are rocky capes and pebble bays suitable for children. In several places along the coast there are beach bars where you can refresh.
Nationalpark Mols Bjerge offers a great variety of nature. Mols Bjerge is especially known for its extraordinary landscape, which was shaped during the Ice Age.
Tall peaks, deep dead ice holes, and rare sand lizards – and maybe you will meet a national park guide on your trip in the 180 km2 Mols Bjerge national park.
The landscape in the Mols Bjerge national park was created by gigantic ice tongues and tons of water over millions of years. In the national park, you will find about 40 of the 200 nature types worthy of preserving, called habitat areas. You can practically feel the cultural history at Kalø castle ruins, in front of the large bronze age burial mounds of Mols Bjerge and in the small cobbled streets of Ebeltoft.
Adventure awaits you at the Mols Bjerge national park. Here, you will find plenty of room for exploration, which is what makes a holiday memorable. Furthermore, you can always find help and inspiration right around the corner.
An amusement park for many, place of nostalgic dreams for some, oasis of greenery for almost everyone – and the location of the Giant Ferris Wheel, one of Vienna’s most famous symbols. The Vienna Prater is in season from March to October. But the world-famous Giant Ferris Wheel and a few other attractions are open all year round.
The Vienna Prater is entertaining and exciting, but it can also be relaxing and quiet. One part of it contains attractions ranging from a nostalgic merry-go-round to an ultra-modern roller coaster. In the other area, known as the “Green Prater,” one finds widespread meadows to lie on, shady trees, and quiet paths. The motto is to have fun and enjoy yourself.
Today, the Green Prater is a paradise for walkers, runners, bicyclists and horseback riders, and is highly appreciated as a large leisure area within the city limits. To get an overview of this green oasis in the city of Vienna, one best takes the Liliputbahn, a miniature railway spanning more than three miles.
Covering over 125 hectares and comprising more than 15,000 trees, El Retiro Park is a green oasis in the heart of the city. In it you’ll find all kinds of interesting monuments and gardens, including the Jardín de Vivaces, the Jardines de Cecilio Rodríguez (Andalusian-inspired classicistic gardens), the Jardines del Arquitecto Herrero Palacios, the Rosaleda rose garden and the Parterre Francés, which holds a Mexican conifer that is nearly 400 years old and is believed to be Madrid’s oldest tree.
In 1968, Manuel Herrero Palacios designed these 8 hectares of gardens so that one could sit and admire the magnificence of the Temple of Debod, which had been donated to Spain by the Government of Egypt. The Debod Mausoleum, which is more than 2,000 years old, was rescued from the waters of Aswan Dam by a group of Spanish archaeologists. They brought back every stone and rebuilt it in its present location, after the Government of Egypt donated it to Spain. It was set on the remains of Cuartel de la Montaña, retaining the orientation to the sun it had at its place of origin.
From here, the famous Manzanares cornice, with the Royal Palace, Casa de Campo and, possibly, the most beautiful sunsets in Madrid, can be seen. The garden’s parterres on both sides are merely a vegetation frame. They are enclosed with squares, banana trees for alignment and groups of palm trees and Mediterranean plants on the meadows.
This thousand-year-old city neighbourhood grew between two walls, the Muslim and the Christian. A walk through its labyrinthine cobbled streets flanked by imposing medieval buildings takes us to back to other times in history.
The park with an area exceeding one hundred hectares is outstretched between Różyckiego, Paderewskiego, Kopernika and Olszewskiego streets.
The first park in this place was established by L. Hohenlohe, the commander of the city garrison, in the area of the then-existing village of Szczytniki in the suburbs of Wrocław in 1783.
The park with an area of 16 hectares was maintained in English style, but it was heavily destroyed by Napoleon’s soldiers in 1806. In 1833, the recreational areas in this part of the city were enlarged – not only did the park become bigger, but also a racing track was created south of it and functioned there till the beginning of the 20th century. The current appearance and richness of Park Szczytnicki owes much to Peter Joseph Lenne – a royal gardener who arrived in Wrocław from Berlin. At the end of the 19th century, a dyke system was established. Later, at the turn of the 20th century and on the occasion of the Exhibition of the Century in 1913, Park Szczytnicki was enriched with objects that have remained interesting till today and are important points of sightseeing routes. In 1913, the wooden church of Jan Nepomucen was moved to Wrocław and established in the eastern part of the park. Built at the turn of the 17th century, the building had been previously located in Stare Koźle.
The Botanical Gardens are a research and teaching division of Adam Mickiewicz University, considered to be one of the most modern and beautiful gardens of its type in Europe. Covering more than 22 hectars, it contains an imposing cillection of over 7,000 species and varietes of plants from almost every climate zone of vegetation around globe.
Villa Borghese of Rome is one of the largest urban parks in Europe. The State acquired the gardens from the Borghese family in 1901 and opened them to the public on 12 July 1903.
What differentiates Villa Borghese from other large parks such as Hyde Park or Central Park is the perfect combination between nature and Roman art. Villa Borghese is home to interesting architectural elements, sculptures, monuments and fountains created at different times by famous artists.
If you have enough time in Rome, travel with children or are looking for a little relaxation, the Villa Borghese is a mandatory stop in your itinerary. If you want to tour the Villa Borghese and take advantage of the time to do some exercise, it is possible to rent rollerblades, bicycles and other forms of transportation at the main gates.
Zaboric is an attractive little settlement, located ten kilometres south of Šibenik.
Its beautiful coast offers a special enjoyment of swimming on beautifully landscaped beaches, which are partly and naturally sandy. Catering facilities are mostly located by the sea, and the long coastal walking trail is ideal for recreation and cycling.
Walking the length of the island takes about 20 minutes, but most visitors spend time at the Hajós Alfréd and the Palatinus outdoor pools. The Palatinus water park is a popular place in the summer, especially on the weekends. The 11 outdoor pools, including two for children, are in a beautiful setting. If it is too cold to go for a swim, an island tour introduces relics hailing back to the island's religious origins, including a 12th century convent and ruins of a Franciscan and a Dominican church. During summer months, bicycles, inline skates and 'bringóhintó', a four-wheeled bike for four, are available for rent. Since vehicles are prohibited, the island is a fantastic escape from the bustle of the big city and a great place to work out, swim a few laps, or go for a run.
Other attractions on the island include the Centennial Memorial which commemorates the 100th anniversary of Budapest, a Japanese Garden, a tiny zoo, a music fountain, and an octagonal water tower, built in Art Nouveau style in 1911. The outdoor theater hosts operas, concerts and plays during summer.
The thermal water on Margaret Island is famous for its healing effects. The natural, thermal water running beneath the island was first brought to the surface in 1886. In addition to its healing power, a day at the Danubius Health Spa is also a great way to relax and unwind.
Adam Mickiewicz Park also referred to as the Oliwa Park is one of the best known places in Gdańsk. The extraordinary location of the park, beautiful flora and small climatic paths of the Park create a unity that is irresistible. The park itself dates backs to the Cistercians who started a vegetable and herb garden by their monastery. Starting your stroll in the Park from the entrance at ul. Grunwaldzka following the longitudinal pond we can see the Botanic Garden created after World War II and where the visitors can also enter the enchanting Palm House. The main path of the Park, stretching from the entrance from ul. Opata Rybińskiego leads to the French part of the Park where you can see the Abbot Palace and further on the path leads to the Oliwa Cathedral. The Abbot Palace now houses a branch of the National Museum in Gdańsk, exhibiting contemporary art. In the Cathedral in the Oliwa Park one may listen to organ concerts and participate in the Organ Music Festival which is organised every summer. In the Park there are many sculptures to admire like: Exhibition of Contemporary Sculpture of Gdańsk, Swietopelk the Great and Mestwin II monuments and the bust of Adam Mickiewicz. The National Museum has another branch in the Oliwa Park - Branch of Ethnography located in the Abbot Granary. Now the Oliwa Park has been expanded with new gardens, e.g. a Japanese garden where you can have some rest during a steady walk and admire the beauty of one of the former city gardens in Gdańsk.
This is one of the oldest parks in Gdańsk, second largest after the Oliwa Park and located in a completely different part of the city than the first one. It is less known but as charming and worth seeing. In the park there are two ponds and the Park itself is surrounded with hills to which local legends are attached. In the Park we can admire ponds, waterfalls and beautiful alleys with interesting tree varieties. The linden alley and the view of weeping willow trees over the pond add to the charm of the place. Right by the Park there is a historic 19th century manor house. Recently a large playground for children was built in the nearby. That is why it is a place not only for walks but also a place to spend time with the whole family.
Sculpture park in the Frogner Park with more than 200 sculptures by Gustav Vigeland (1869–1943) in bronze, granite and cast iron, including The Angry Boy (Sinnataggen in Norwegian), The Monolith (Monolitten) and The Wheel of Life (Livshjulet).
Vigeland was also responsible for the design and architectural outline of the park, which is one of Norway's top tourist attractions, with more than one million annual visitors. The park is free to enter and open all year round, 24 hours a day.
It is difficult to imagine a panorama of Warsaw without the Vistula – the river has had a huge impact on the development of the city, and today offers tourists and locals countless attractions. A kilometres-long riverside promenade is a great place for a walk, a bike ride, as well as a night of fun in one of the seasonal clubs operating here. Along the boulevards are gazebos with sun loungers, stone benches and seats made from tree branches. There is also a lookout point and a mini beach with wicker baskets. In such a place, there has to be a place for the symbol of the river and Warsaw – the Mermaid. Stop at the monument and take a photo.
Young children will enjoy the water playground with “dancing” fountains and figures of fish as trampolines for jumping.
In the summer season, sail on the Vistula. You can choose from a motor boats, sail boats, ferries or kayaks.
This vast park is a favourite place for Varsovians where they go for long walks amid beautiful nature and architecture to rest from the hustle and bustle of the city. At the heart of the park is the summer residence of the last king of Poland – Stanisław August Poniatowski. The name of the complex comes from the seventeenth-century bathhouse of a Polish nobleman, rebuilt in the 18th century into a palace. Here, in the Palace on the Island, King Stanisław August Poniatowski hosted his famous Thursday dinners, to which he invited scholars and poets to discuss the issues of the day. Today it is a museum where you can admire paintings from the royal collections.
In the grounds of Łazienki you will also see an orangery, an amphitheatre, an eighteenth-century court theatre, the Museum of Hunting and Horse-riding, the Myślewicki Palace and numerous free-standing sculptures.
This huge beach, 1,900 meters long, occupies the entire coastline of the city of Aguadulce, from the marina to La Ventilla beach. Due to the quality of the water, the sand and the services that this beach has, it is accredited with the Blue Flag and Q for tourist quality. As it is located on the coast of the center of Aguadulce, it is one of the beaches with the highest bathing density in western Almería, in the summer. Parallel to its route, the city's seafront stretches, offering a wide variety of tourist offerings with restaurants, entertainment, drinks, ice cream, souvenir shops and beach items, etc.