The Blue Church
Officially known as the Church of St Elizabeth of Hungary, but commonly referred to simply as ‘the Blue Church’ for obvious reasons, this is Bratislava’s most appealing art nouveau building. Its style, sometimes known as Hungarian Secession, is repeated in the nearby grammar school on Grösslingová Street. Both were designed by Budapest architect Edmund Lechner and built in the early twentieth century (the church was consecrated on 11 October, 1913).
Both the interior and exterior of the church are painted in shades of pale blue and decorated with blue majolica; even the roof is tiled with blue-glazed ceramics. The structure incorporates a 36.8-metre round tower.
St. Martin's Cathedral
A three-nave Gothic church from the 15th century and the former coronation church. A gilded replica of the coronation crown fixed on the top of the cathedral tower at a height of 85 metres and weighing 150 kg reminds of this glorious age.
Explore more places related to this search:
St. Stephen Cathedral
St. Stephen's Cathedral is the symbol of Vienna. Construction commenced in the 12th century. Today, it is one of the most important Gothic structures in Austria. St. Stephen's Cathedral is 107.2 meters long and 34.2 meters wide. It has four towers. The tallest of these is the south tower at 136.44 meters. The tower room, from which there is a gigantic view across Vienna, is reached via 343 steps. A total of 13 bells hang here. However, the best-known bell of St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Pummerin, is located in the 68.3 meter-tall north tower. It is the second-biggest free-swinging chimed church bell in Europe. On the roof of St. Stephen's Cathedral, colorful roof tiles were laid to create the Royal and Imperial double-headed eagle and the coat of arms of the city of Vienna. The interior of St. Stephen's Cathedral was changed again and again over the centuries, right through to the Baroque period.
The pilgrim church "Visitation" was built between 1715 and 1803 according to plans drawn up by Prince Paul I. Esterházy. Unfortunately, the prince did not live to see the groundbreaking ceremony as he died from the plague in 1713.
The portion of the church that can be visited today represents merely the presbytery of the church originally planned. It was to be a place of worship of enormous proportions. The high altar picture "The Visitation" is a copy of a painting by Dorffmeister and dates back to 1797.
The famous Calvary at the Haydn church was built by the Franciscan lay brother Felix Niering in the years from 1701 – 1707. The Calvary in Eisenstadt follows the pattern of the Calvary in Maria Lanzendorf in Lower Austria.
Steps and dark hallways lead through an artificial mountain made of rocks and pass by small niches, grottos and tiny chapels portraying scenes of the Passion of Christ.
At the east side of the Calvary, there is the Chapel of Mercy. It contains a miraculous image that is visited by many pilgrims every year. The Chapel of Mercy already forms part of the Calvary. Originally it had been built as Mount of Olives Chapel. After the Statue of Mercy had been transferred from the church in Grosshöflein the chapel was re-consecrated as Chapel of Mercy.
The Tulln parish church is around 1,000 years old and was among the early parish churches to be established by the Babenbergs. The charter from Emperor Heinrich II dates back to 1014.
The church combines multiple architectural styles. An Ottonian Romanesque core is juxtaposed with a Gothic chancel and Baroque towers and a Baroque interior. Of particular historical note is the Romanesque west portal, known as the Apostles’ Gate. The marble altar and the magnificent choir stalls are also features of the church that visitors will not want to miss.
The two towers are signs of the church visible from far and wide. They have an interesting story. The south tower belongs to the parish whereas the north one is owned by the city of Tulln. In earlier times, the tower watchman had his lookout and abode in the city tower. His job was to ring the bells to warn citizens if a fire broke out within city limits.
St.Polten Former Synagogue
The only Art Nouveau synagogue in Lower Austria. Rich painting in ornamental forms of the Wiener Werkstätte.
Built in 1913 according to the plans of the architects Theodor Schreier and Viktor Postelberg, the synagogue was badly damaged in the Kristallnacht (9th / 9th November 1938). After 1945, the building was returned to the IKG Vienna - an IKG St. Pölten no longer existed. The once thriving Jewish community life in St. Pölten was completely destroyed, only a few survivors returned to St. Pölten.
Since 1988, the Kantorhaus houses the Institute for Jewish History in Austria, which uses the synagogue room for events.Today, the former synagogue is a memorial site that commemorates a living Jewish community before 1938 and its destruction by the Nazis.
Piarist Church Krems
This Roman Catholic church is the oldest in Krems and was constructed around 1284.
The late-Gothic hall church is stylistically related to the Vienna Dombauhütte and is therefore also referred to as the "little sister" of St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. Inside, the steep Gothic church with its profiled pillars, services, capitals and many other craftsmanship highlights of Gothic architecture impresses. The baroque high altar was built according to plans by Joseph Maria Götz . The altarpiece is by Martin Johann Schmidt , it is called 1756 and shows the Assumption of Mary.
The watchtower, which was built in the east, has been owned by the city since 1616. It was the seat of the city turret and was inhabited until a few decades ago. Opposite the church portal leads the 2004 completely renovated covered Piaristenstiege to Pfarrplatz.
Dominican Church and Monastery
1236 received the Dominicans of Duke Leopold VI. the order to set up a branch in Krems an der Donau. At about the same time, the Minorites were called to Stein. As early as 1240, the construction of a church was begun , which was vaulted around 1265. It was then built outside the city walls, the so-called Predigertor led through the city wall to Passauerhof with the Ursula chapel.
The chancel of the church dates back to 1330. The impressive sacred space was initially painted colorful, well-preserved remains of which can still be seen today.
The monastery and the church were one of the largest and most representative meeting rooms in the country at the time of construction , serving as a meeting place for the regional parliaments and for meetings of the handicraft mints of the region. The monastery itself was built in the Baroque style and the Gothic cloister was overgrown. A partial reconstruction in the eastern area of the courtyard refers to the disappearance of the gothic colonnade of the complex.
Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul
Once a small Romanesque Basilica on Petrov Hill, later rebuilt in the Gothic style, the cathedral was built in 1777 after the Brno bishopric was created. Now its two tall towers, together with Špilberk Castle , form the characteristic silhouette of the city of Brno. In addition to the interior, the Romanesque-Gothic crypt and view from the two towers are a must. The Diocesan Museum and Information Centre is located nearby. The noon ringing at 11 o’clock is part of the legend of the Swedish siege during the Thirty Years War.
Dub nad Moravou
Dub nad Moravou and the pilgrimage temple of the Purge of the Virgin Mary, which is dominated by the whole of Haná. The first mention of this Haná town is from 1141, when the settlement is mentioned as the property of the Olomouc capital church.
The historic Matthias Church (Mátyás-templom) is over 700 years old. The church was the scene of several coronations, including that of Charles IV in 1916, the last Habsburg king.
St. Michaels Church
The three domes of the St. Michael’s Church are one of the most distinctive landmarks of the city. This Baroque church was rebuilt from the original Gothic church and was consecrated probably in 1251.
You simply should not miss the Olomouc castle site situated on the Wenceslas Hill! Right here in 1306, the last Přemyslid, the Czech king Wenceslas III, was assassinated. You can admire the Bishop's Palace with its famous Romanesque windows, the gothic St. Wenceslas Cathedral, today the seat of the Archbishop of Olomouc, or the Archdiocesan Museum founded on the initiative of Pope John Paul II.
St. Stephen s Basilica
St. Stephen’s Basilica is the largest church in Budapest and can hold up to 8,500 people. Although in architectural terms it’s a cathedral, it was given the title of ‘basilica minor’ by Pope Pius XI in 1931. It took more than 50 years to build the Basilica. Building commenced in 1851, and the inauguration ceremony took place in 1906 and was attended by Emperor Franz Joseph. During its construction, in 1868 the dome collapsed and rebuilding it had to start almost from scratch, which explains the delay in the Basilica's completion. Architect Jozsef Hild who drafted the original plans and supervised the construction died in 1867. Miklós Ybl, one of Europe's leading architects in the mid to late 19th century, who also designed the Opera House, took over. When the dome collapsed in 1868, Ybl had to draft new plans. Unfortunately Ybl didn’t live to see the completion of the Basilica as he passed away in 1891, however work was finished according to his plans.
Originally designed in neo-classical style by Hild, the Basilica was finished in neo-renaissance style based on the plans of Ybl. The dome is 96 meters high, the exact same height as the Budapest Parliament Building. In fact current building regulations stipulate that no other structure in Budapest can be taller than 96 meters. Having the same height as the Parliament also symbolizes the balance between church and state in Hungary.
The Cathedral Graz
Royal-imperial church architecture is crowning the historic city centre. The cathedral is definitely not to be missed on any sightseeing trip round Graz. Don’t be fooled by the relatively restrained exterior. The "Gottesplagenbild", an inspiring relic of splendid Gothic fresco painting, is still in excellent condition today. Inside the cathedral, a multitude of ecclesiastical along with general historical treasures is waiting to be discovered.
Today's cathedral reminds of the days when Graz was an imperial city. Emperor Frederick III erected the church together with his new residence in Graz. In the course of history, the cathedral saw many changes. Construction work of the court and parish church in late-Gothic style was started in 1438, as Jesuit church it was refurbished in Baroque style in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. Since 1786 it has been the cathedral, i.e. the bishop's and main church of the Catholics in Styria.
The exterior of the cathedral looks very sober today. In the Gothic period, however, the façades were covered with paintings. One fresco has been preserved - the so-called Gottesplagenbild ("God's Plagues").
Mariendom (New Cathedral)
The largest church in Austria is situated in Linz – the New Cathedral (also called Mariendom or Maria-Empfängnis-Dom).
Beautiful glass windows decorate the cathedral, which was finished in 1924 and can accommodate 20,000 people. The sacred space is also fascinating. Mariendom is a haven of peace and an architectural masterpiece.
Enjoy the view over Linz from the spire. Or experience the captivating view of the church's interior at a height of 15 metres on a special tour of the church's accessible inner gallery. The tours are also well suited to children aged 5 and above and to families.
Pilgrimage church on Poestlingberg
This pilgrimage church, dedicated to the Seven Sorrows of the Virgin Mary and perched high above the roofs of the city, is the landmark of the Upper Austrian capital Linz. Just a few minutes' walk from the Pöstlingbergbahn stop, if offers a breathtaking view of Linz.
It was built in 1748 according to plans by Matthias Krinner. The church is popular for weddings because of the unique location.
The Church of St. Nicholas
The Church of St. Nicholas stands at the place where a late 13th century Gothic temple once stood, which was reconstructed in the 16th century, but destroyed by the great fire of 1641.
St. Vitus Church
Kostel sv. Víta je gotická trojlodní stavba pocházející z období 1407 - 1439. Byl ovšem vystavěn na základech starší stavby z roku 1309. V 17. a 18. století byl kostel rozšiřován a upravován. Gotický vstupní portál pochází z roku 1410.
Let 'us go towards the main square again. About 100 meters away on your right in Arany János Street you can find the Lutheran Church built in the 19th century. Until the end of the 1980s Miklós Ybl’s masterpiece, decorated with Romanesque motives, was hidden by cheap stores; today it can be seen in its original beauty.
Big Catholic Church
Let's start our walk in the main square of the "Famous Town" that used to be the market-place for centuries. Here you can find the Big Catholic Church which is the largest cathedral in the Great Hungarian Plain built in the style of the age of Louis XVI of France. Looking down from the 73 meter tall tower you can see the panorama of the town.
The Cathedral of St Barbara
The Cathedral of St Barbara, a jewel of the Late Gothic period and one of the four cathedral-type buildings in Bohemia, was incribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List together with the Cathedral of the Assumption of Our Lady and St John the Baptist and the historical centre of Kutná Hora.
Cathedral of the Holy Spirit
The gothic brick building of the Church of the Holy Spirit ranks among the major historic sights of the town. It was established by Queen Eliška Rejčka in 1307. In 1424, Jan Žižka of Trocnov, major military leader of the Hussite movement, was temporarily buried here.
Klagenfurt Cathedral & Cathedral Square
Commissioned by the territorial estates as a Protestant church in 1578, it was designed by architect Christoph Windisch. Klagenfurt Cathedral is the oldest pilaster church in Austria. The 23 paintings on the walls and ceilings were painted over several times in the course of the years.
The Catholic Reformation Commission closed the cathedral in the year 1600. Four years later it was handed over to the Jesuits who managed the Jesuit school next door until the order was closed in 1773. A fire destroyed major parts of the church in the year 1723. Reconstruction did not begin until 1725. The Carinthian Baroque painter Josef Ferdinand Fromiller created the John of Nepomuk apotheosis. The church was raised to Cathedral status in 1787. The Cathedral was renovated in the 1890s and shines today in the lustrous Baroque colourfulness of the 18th century.
Katowice St. Mary's Church
Katowice's oldest existing Catholic parish church was built from Silesian dolomite, not the usual red brick, between 1862 and 1870 to a design by the famous Breslau (Wrocław) architect Alexis Langer. Originally planned on a far grander scale than it was eventually built, the 43m-long, 31m-wide neo-Gothic building features an eye-catching, trademark Langer 71m octagonal tower and a feast of good things inside. The altar in the transept supposedly dates from the 15th century, whilst the wonderful stained glass windows on either side of the nave representing sin and virtue are the work of Adam Bunsch (1896-1969). The Chapel of the Holy Sacrament includes a likeness of Father Emil Szramek in traditional Silesian dress. Szramek was the parish priest from 1926 until his arrest by the Gestapo in April 1940. Sent to a number of concentration camps including Dachau, where he quickly became a spiritual leader for other incarcerated Silesian priests, he was murdered on January 13, 1942.
Saint Mark's Church
Saint Mark’s Church is Zagreb’s iconic building due to its signature colourful tiled roof. It is one of the oldest buildings in Zagreb dating from the 13th century.
You will notice the Southern portal. It is equally important as it is the richest looking gothic portal in Croatia.
The portal consists of 15 sculptures (11 stone gothic sculptures and 4 wooden baroque sculptures) in 11 niches. Sculptures present Virgin Mary with the Child, Christ, St. Mark and the apostles.
Saint Mark’s uniquely colourful tiled roof was constructed in 1880 by Friedrich Schmidt and Herman Bollé. On it, you will see the medieval coat of arms of Croatia, Dalmatia and Slavonia on the left side, and the emblem of Zagreb on the right.
On the other hand, inside, you will see sculptures by Ivan Meštrović and art by Jozo Kljaković and Ljubo Babić. Eventually, the frescos were renovated, the ceiling was gilded with 22-carat gold leaflets and a new organ has been recently installed.
Cathedral of Zagreb
Zagreb Cathedral was formerly known as St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Today, the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary and to kings Saint Stephen and Saint Ladislaus.
Once you get to Kaptol Square you will see it is dominated by Zagreb cathedral which has been there since the 11th century.
The Archbishop’s Palace encloses it from three sides, and because of its twin 108 meters (354 ft) high spires, it is the tallest building in Croatia. It literally soars over the city. The Zagreb Cathedral must be seen and its sacristy is of great architectural value.
What you will see today does not represent the original construction. The first Cathedral was damaged during the Tartar attack and a great fire in the 13th century.
Finally, it was severely damaged by the 1880 earthquake and was restored in the Neo-Gothic style by Hermann Bollé, the cathedral you see today.
Baroque complex Svatá Hora (Holy Hill), the prominent Marian pilgrimage site of Czech Lands with central Basilica of the Assumption of Virgin Mary, is also an outstanding cultural, architectonic and historic monument of the country.
Church of St. Anthony of Padua
The conventuals (black friars) settled in Poznań in the 17th c. The church was commissioned from Jan Koński and built atop Castle Hill (presently Przemysł Hill) in the years 1674-1757. The monastery was erected in the years 1672-1749 east of the church but it was partly dismantled after the suppression of the order in 1834; only the north part survived to the present day.
The monastery and the Church of St. Jilji
Just past the gate, we find ourselves next to a set of buildings that make up the Gothic Augustinian Monastery and the Church of St. Jiljí and the Blessed Virgin Mary the Queen. The monastery was founded in 1367 and greatly contributed to the development of education and arts in southern Bohemia.
Cathedral of Saints Vitus, Wenceslas and Adalbert
The biggest, most important, most beautiful. The Gothic St. Vitus Cathedral at Prague Castle is a place of so many superlatives. Above all, it’s the spiritual symbol of the Czech nation and the resting place of Czech history’s greatest rulers. Come and learn the story of this fascinating architectural masterpiece which is among the most important cathedrals in Europe.
Once you are standing in the heart of the cathedral you will feel a real rush of history. Massive pillars support magnificent vaulting, and everything is illuminated by the sun’s rays glinting through the beautifully decorated stained glass windows. The most important part of the cathedral is the exquisite St. Wenceslas Chapel, where the priceless Bohemian coronation jewels are stored behind seven locks. In the cathedral you will also find the tombs of saints, kings, princes and archbishops, the most important of which are the resting places of St. John of Nepomuk and King Charles IV. You can conclude your visit to the cathedral with an ascent of the top of the south tower, where you will be rewarded with an amazing panorama of one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
The Wawel Cathedral
It’s Poland’s Westminster Cathedral, the absolute focal point of the country’s religious history, crowning place of kings and queens and architectural overseer of the famous Cracovian gothic skyline. Wawel Cathedral sits in the heart of the royal palace and castle complex that dominates the hill of the same name, on the south side of Krakow’s old town.
St. Marys Basilica
Keeping watch over Europe’s second largest market square for the last seven centuries, the imposing Gothic spires of St. Mary’s Basilica have become a veritable symbol of Kraków itself and a focal point in the stories that make up the city’s mythic and historical past.
The Co-cathedral Church
The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul is the co-cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Đakovo-Osijek. A co-cathedral is a cathedral church which shares the function of being a bishop’s seat, or cathedral, with another cathedral, often in another city.