Beautiful Huseby Bruk shows you a bygone era. Go for a stroll in the park and gardens, and visit the well-preserved castle. At the old ironworks, the stories of the 1800s are told over and over again.
The main building at Huseby is reverently called the castle. Many remember Ms Stephens, the last owner of Huseby. In her last will and testament, she wrote that everything should be preserved for coming generations to take part in. The interior decor remains, and much of it comes from her parents’ time and up until the middle of the 1800s. The Stephens family were close to the royal house and sometimes had royal visitors at Huseby Bruk.
The park and garden have been recreated in their 19th-century form. Much was documented – even shopping lists for seeds. The park is characterised by ‘embroidered’ flower beds that Miss Stephens’s mother Elisabeth Stephens designed. But the kitchen garden might be the best thing about Huseby - it is a real utility garden that used to supplied the work's gentry with vegetables, fruit and berries. It was designed with nine areas and follows a model from older times. Ms Stephens loved different breeds of hens and today, too, there are hens and peacocks to look at.
Welcome to Smalands museum, Sweden's oldest provincial museum,
with collections dating from 1792. The glass collection is the source of the museum's international reputation
Smalands Museum reopened in 1996 as Sweden's museum of glass following extensive expansion and renovations. Småland's cultural heritage and the history
of Kronoberg County are profoundly informed by the work done and the lives lived on its rural industrial estates, which are now primarily devoted to the production
of glass. The museum has nationwide responsibility for collecting, documenting
and exhibiting Swedish glass and its production.
Kronobergs Slott is a medieval castle ruin, picturesquely situated on a bankside island in the lake Helgasjön. It is located about 5 kilometres north of the provincial capital Växjö .
The emergence of Kronobergs Slott goes back to the period around 1444 when Bishop Lars Mikaelsson built a fortified residence for the bishops of Växjö. During the Dacke War in 1542/43, Kronobergs Slott was the headquarter of a farmers' army, which was fighting against the troops of the Swedish King Gustav Vasa under the leadership of Nils Dacke, who was honoured as a national hero in Småland.
Over the next 200 years, Kronobergs Slott was frequently the subject of military conflicts, because of its function as a border fortification to the former Danish provinces Skåne and Blekinge. During this time, the fortress was burnt down at least twice by Danish troops and rebuilt a bit bigger each time after the reconquests.
Today's ruins of the rectangular castle with its four round corner towers are the remains of Kronobergs Slott after the last reconstruction in 1616. After the Danish provinces had finally become Swedish in 1658, the fortress lost its strategic value. It was abandoned and ruined at the end of the 17th century, served as a temporary quarry for building houses in Vaxjö.
Växjö Domkyrka, the cathedral in Växjö is the main church of the Diocese of Växjö and is located on the edge of the modern city center of Växjö. The present ground plan of the church with its striking double tower spire dates from the 15th century, but some fragments are already from the 12th century.
The first church on the site of today's Växjö Domkyrka was a small wooden church in the 11th century. According to legend, established on the initiative of the missionary and later canonized Saint Sigfrid. The diocese of Växjö was founded around 1170 and the first cathedral for the new bishops' seat was built.
This first cathedral was built of natural stone, had a Romanesque ground plan with only one nave, a narrow chancel with a semicircular apse and a mighty tower. Parts of the old foundations and some pillars in today's main nave, as well as the masonry in the lower part of the church tower remained until today.
Utvandrarnas Hus, only a few steps away from the provincial museum of Småland in the city of Växjö, is a special kind of a museum. It is dedicated exclusively to the great Swedish emigration movements between 1846 and 1930.
It is hard to believe, but 150 years ago Sweden was one of the poorest regions in Europe. Before the first industrial revolution, which had begun a lot later in Sweden, it was an agricultural country without enough agricultural areas, no longer able to feed the rapidly growing population in the middle of the 19th century.
The museum was founded in 1965 by the Swedish Emigration Institute with the purpose of keeping the archive with its extensive collection about the emigration era in a central place and making it easier for the public to access. In addition, the institute opened its own research department, which has become a preferred address for ancestry and immigration researchers.
Its hilarious properties was in fact not discovered until after it was built, and has since become a simple but interesting tourist attraction.
The towers vault construction makes any sound made under the dome echo like crazy. You can hear even the smallest whisper or squeel. Throw some rocks, scream, laugh and have fun! The water tower is fun both for the young and the old.
The water tower is located just outside Teleborg, a couple of kilometres from town. You can go by car or take the bus. If the weather permits you can even walk, and take the chance to see some of the växjös beautiful lakes on the way.
Bergunda church was probably built during the later part of the 12th century as a romanesque church. The church did not initially have a tower; it was added sometime during the 16th century. The church got its present look during a rebuild around 1825 to 1826, where both the in- and outside constructions were concerned. The longhouse is the oldest part of the church and it was built in the end of the 12th century. An expansion to the church was built between 1825 and 1826, which included the present choir, a wing with the sacristy and a balcony, which was meant to host the owners of Bergkvara castle. The balcony is called "the count's balcony" even today. The tower was built during the 16th century, as a defense tower against the danes, who's front was close by. The pulpit, the altarpiece, the altar cloth and the chasuble are all gifts from Bergkvara. The count had advowson, which means the right to appoint the priest, until 1921.