Tudor Ice Company was built in 1842 to store ice blocks. From then it is being called as Ice House even after the company’s closure. Bilagiri Iyengar, a noted Lawyer bought it in 1885 and named it “Castle Kernan” in honour of his Justice friend. Vivekananda stayed at the Ice House between 6 February 1897 to 14 February 1897. Every year this event is celebrated as Vivekananda Nava Rathiri. The pujas and festivals performed by the Ramakrishna Mutt were shifted to New Mutt premises in Mylapore. But the premises continued to be the Memorial of Swami Vivekananda. Later the Government took over the building in 1930. In 1963, on his birth centenary, it was renamed as Vivekanandar House. In 1999, on Centenary of Swamiji’s return to India from the United States, the house was renovated and opened a fresh by the then Chief Minister.