The Primate’s Palace is one of the most beautiful classicist buildings in Slovakia. Portraits of Hungarian rulers are exhibited in the picture gallery. An impressive part of the gallery is a collection of six tapestries found in the reconstruction of the palace. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/primatial-palace/
The history of the Old Town Hall dates back to the beginnings of the mediaeval town in the 13th century. It was then that the original Romanesque house of Mayor Jakub became the property of the city. Over the course of time Unger’s House and Pawer’s House were annexed to it.
The most complete element in the neo-Gothic reconstruction is the chapel of St Ladislav, with its unique wall paintings from the 15th century. In 1581 a renaissance arcade was added. The building normally houses the Bratislava City Museum, the oldest in the city (1868). When open, the museum features an exhibition of the feudal justice system, as well as the remarkable interior of the town hall building and original furnishings from the municipal court. In summer, cultural programmes are held in the beautiful renaissance courtyard and concerts are held in the tower. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/old-town-hall/
The oldest traces of Slavic settlement date from the 8th century, and in the 9th century a fortress from the period of the Great Moravian Empire is believed to have stood here, linked to ruler Prince Rastislav. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/devin-castle/
This rococo summer palace was built in 1760 for the chairman of the Hungarian Royal Chamber and advisor to Empress Maria Theresa, Count Anton Grassalkovich. The sumptuous house was a sought-after venue for aristocratic society events. The palace is now the official residence of the President of the Slovak Republic. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/grassalkovich-palace/
The bulbous yet elegant copper roof of Michael’s Gate is one of the symbols of Bratislava.
The roof of the original gothic tower, built in the mid 14th century, was modified between 1753 and 1758 to give it its current, baroque style. The 51 meters tall tower has seven floors, and the superb view of the old town from the upper terrace of the tower is one of Bratislava’s top visitor experiences. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/michaels-gate/
Officially known as the Church of St Elizabeth of Hungary, but commonly referred to simply as ‘the Blue Church’ for obvious reasons, this is Bratislava’s most appealing art nouveau building. Its style, sometimes known as Hungarian Secession, is repeated in the nearby grammar school on Grösslingová Street. Both were designed by Budapest architect Edmund Lechner and built in the early twentieth century (the church was consecrated on 11 October, 1913).
Both the interior and exterior of the church are painted in shades of pale blue and decorated with blue majolica; even the roof is tiled with blue-glazed ceramics. The structure incorporates a 36.8-metre round tower. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/blue-church/
A unique observation tower, a bar and a restaurant are located at the very top of the SNP bridge pylon.
“Floating” on the pillar of the New Bridge (Nový most), this restaurant offers a pretty unconventional experience, from where you can enjoy a unique panoramic view of Bratislava and its surroundings from above. The restaurant interior is elegantly furnished and the menu contains a wide variety of different international dishes. The restaurant has a total of 140 seats and reservations are possible. Offering an impressive view, this restaurant is a landmark of Bratislava and represents Slovakia in the World Federation of Great Towers. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/ufo/
The gigantic Slavín war memorial is visible from much of the city. On a hill overlooking the castle, it commemorates the city’s liberation by the Red Army in April 1945. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/slavin/
The former seat of the rulers, today the symbol of Bratislava and the seat of the Museum of History. There is a wonderful view of the city and the neighbouring countries from its 47-metre-high crown tower in which royal coronation jewels used to be deposited. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/bratislava-castle/
A three-nave Gothic church from the 15th century and the former coronation church. A gilded replica of the coronation crown fixed on the top of the cathedral tower at a height of 85 metres and weighing 150 kg reminds of this glorious age. https://www.visitbratislava.com/places/st-martins-cathedral/
An amusement park for many, place of nostalgic dreams for some, oasis of greenery for almost everyone – and the location of the Giant Ferris Wheel, one of Vienna’s most famous symbols. The Vienna Prater is in season from March to October. But the world-famous Giant Ferris Wheel and a few other attractions are open all year round.
The Vienna Prater is entertaining and exciting, but it can also be relaxing and quiet. One part of it contains attractions ranging from a nostalgic merry-go-round to an ultra-modern roller coaster. In the other area, known as the “Green Prater,” one finds widespread meadows to lie on, shady trees, and quiet paths. The motto is to have fun and enjoy yourself.
Today, the Green Prater is a paradise for walkers, runners, bicyclists and horseback riders, and is highly appreciated as a large leisure area within the city limits. To get an overview of this green oasis in the city of Vienna, one best takes the Liliputbahn, a miniature railway spanning more than three miles. https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/prater
The Hundertwasser House in Vienna is one of Austria’s architectural highlights. The house designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser draws visitors from around the world.
The Hundertwasser House in Vienna bears the unmistakable hand of the artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser, whose birth name was Friedrich Stowasser. The colorfully decorated exterior façade of Hundertwasser House in Vienna draws attention to itself almost magically. Anyone who lives in the Hundertwasser House also has the right to decorate the façade around the windows entirely to their own taste. More than 200 trees and shrubs on the balconies and roof terraces make the Hundertwasserhaus a green oasis in the heart of the city. The Hundertwasserhaus can only be viewed from outside.
Right opposite the Hundertwasserhaus, however, is the Hundertwasser Village, which is open to visitors. It was created out of a tire workshop in 1990-1991. The artist created his own shopping center here with a "village square", a bar and numerous stores in the typical Hundertwasser style. https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights/hundertwasser-house-vienna
The Belvedere is not only a magnificent Baroque palace but also houses one of Austria's most valuable art collections – with key works by Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele and Oskar Kokoschka.
Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736), successful general and art connoisseur, had Belvedere garden palace built by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt as his summer residence – at the time it was still outside the gates of the city. This baroque architectural jewel consists of two palaces (Upper and Lower Belvedere), which today house Austrian art from the Middle Ages to the present day.
The heart of the Belvedere collection is formed by the 24 paintings of Gustav Klimt with his golden images "The Kiss" and "Judith". Klimt's "The Kiss" in particular is world-famous. The 180 x 180 cm painting was created in 1908/09 and shows Klimt and his friend Emilie Flöge as a couple in love. "The Kiss" is probably Austria's most famous work of art. Klimt's portraits of women also impress and be marveled at in the Upper Belvedere. https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/museums-exhibitions/top/belvedere
The regional gallery of Burgenland shows mostly contemporary art but also works of classic modern artists. On display are Austrian as well as international artists, as well as exhibits pertaining to a certain theme. The gallery emphasises on being a venue for local artists. There are on average five exhibits a year, some are productions of the gallery, some are exhibits that have been taken over from other institutions. http://www.eisenstadt-tourismus.at/regional-gallery-of-burgenland.html
Joseph Hyrtl, outstanding Austrian anatomist and philanthropist, was born in Eisenstadt on December 7, 1810, in what was then the Princes Esterházy’s residence for musicians (today the parish house in Oberberg).
He began to study medicine in Vienna in 1831. Professors and students recognized his talent and he was appointed prosector of anatomy in 1833. In 1837, at the tender age of 26 years, he became professor at Prague Charles University.
To honour his achievements the municipality had a monument erected on Joseph Hyrtl square on the occasion of his 150th birthday (1960). https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/Monument_of_Josef_Hyrtl.html
The structural fabric of the town hall dates back to 1560 and was changed after the city had been elevated to a royal free-trade zone in 1648.
The architectural basis is thought to go back to early renaissance. The diamond-shaped ashlar of the portal points to this era, too.
The one-storey building with a broad front featuring two round oriels on the sides and a rectangular oriel in the centre has been refurbished during the baroque; a massive attic has been built on top of it during the same period. The murals discovered in 1926 probably also go back to the early renaissance period and have been adapted to fit the baroque tastes later on. In 1949 Rudolf Holzinger repainted them by closely sticking to old patterns. He also completed the missing pictures. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/city-hall.html
St. Stephen's Cathedral is the symbol of Vienna. Construction commenced in the 12th century. Today, it is one of the most important Gothic structures in Austria. St. Stephen's Cathedral is 107.2 meters long and 34.2 meters wide. It has four towers. The tallest of these is the south tower at 136.44 meters. The tower room, from which there is a gigantic view across Vienna, is reached via 343 steps. A total of 13 bells hang here. However, the best-known bell of St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Pummerin, is located in the 68.3 meter-tall north tower. It is the second-biggest free-swinging chimed church bell in Europe. On the roof of St. Stephen's Cathedral, colorful roof tiles were laid to create the Royal and Imperial double-headed eagle and the coat of arms of the city of Vienna. The interior of St. Stephen's Cathedral was changed again and again over the centuries, right through to the Baroque period. https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights/st-stephens-cathedral
The Orangery is known for its rich collection of plants, its size and its variety of green houses. The Eisenstadt Orangery is among the most important ones in Europe. The plant collection used to be one of the most impressive collections around, and is mentioned in numerous reports of contemporaries.
The ravages of war and the destructions of 1969 only spared the Orangery house and its central octagonal pavilion, the biggest and most prominent buildings of the grounds. These parts are only a portion of the original greenhouse grounds that have evolved over many decades and at different stages.
A number of Mediterranean plants, such as pomegranates, olive trees or figs but mainly citrus fruits were being cultivated north of the Alps as early as the middle of the 16th Century C.E. The name Orangery (ital. "Limonaia") originally only denoted the plant collection itself, shows the outstanding ranking of the oranges within the framework of any plant collection. https://www.neusiedlersee.com/en/business/977/orangery.html
The Palace Park, with the Leopoldine Temple and the Orangery at the heart of it, is a jewel.
The Palace Park is one of the most important landscaped gardens dating back to the 19th century. It covers an area of about 50 hectares and forms the northern edge of the city and goes all the way down to Bergstrasse and up into the Leitha Mountains.
The park comprises four ponds (Leopoldine pond, Obelisk pond, Herzerl pond and Engine pond), uncounted exotic trees and bushes.
The Leopoldine Temple built by Moreau in 1806 is a circular temple with Egyptian-style columns erected right above the Leopoldine pond. Inside the temple there is the statue of "Leopoldine", made in 1805 by the famous Italian sculptor Antonio Canova. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/palace-park.html
When he got promoted to conductor in 1766, Haydn bought this house and lived there with his wife Aloisia Keller until 1778. Haydn and Eisenstadt are inseparable. From 1761 on, Haydn worked as conductor for the Esterházy court for more than 40 years. Five years after his commission to the Esterházy court, he bought the baroque house situated in what is now called 21 Haydngasse. He lived there for 12 years. Numerous furniture items and original instruments make this collection a true feast for all senses. https://www.eisenstadt-leithaland.at/en/sightseeing/sightseeing/haydn-house-eisenstadt
The Haydn's family garden hut with its herb gardens represents a true rarity.
When Joseph Haydn bought his house in the city in 1766, he also acquired the little garden by the hospital, situated outside the city walls, and the little wooden hut.
Haydn transformed this small piece of land in a flower and herb garden and not only came there to seek peace and quiet, but also to compose.
The remains of the kitchen and herb garden have been transformed into a show garden with plants that were en vogue in Haydn's times. It invites the visitors to learn more about century old recipes and herbal secrets. https://www.eisenstadt-leithaland.at/en/sightseeing/sightseeing/haydns-herb-garden
The Vienna State Opera is one of the top opera addresses in the world – where you can enjoy the very best in first-class productions. This famous stage offers a different program every day, with over 50 operas and ballet works on around 300 days per season.
At the Vienna Opera Ball, the Vienna State Opera is transformed into the world’s most famous ballroom. The committee, consisting of approximately 150 pairs of young men and women in white ball gowns and tails, ensures a glamorous opening of the Opera Ball. https://www.wien.info/en/music-stage-shows/opera-operetta/state-opera
Column in honour of the Holy Trinity and the crowned queen of heavens, Mary. The Plague Column was erected in 1713 by order of the "Royal Town of Eisenstadt". It was meant to serve as plea to God to free the city from the plague.
On the pedestal there are representations of Saint Rochus, Sebastian, Kajetan, John of Nepomuk and Saint Rosalie. Right above them is a cartouche featuring the coat of arms of the city.
At the feet of Saint Francis there is a plaque with rolled up ends on both sides. On the slender, Corinthian column wrapped with bay leave twigs there are: God the Father and Jesus, as well as the coronation of Mary, above them all hovers the Holy Spirit. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/plague-column.html
Esterházy Palace in Eisenstadt is one of the most beautiful baroque castles in Austria and gives an impressive insight into the former glittering life at the court of the Princes Esterházy.
With the authentic ambience and the excellent acoustics of the Haydn Hall, Esterházy Palace is still the center of cultural events: here concerts are given, festivals celebrated and glamorous exhibitions shown.
An exciting counterpoint is the former stables opposite the castle. Together they form the Schlossquartier Eisenstadt, where contemporary and historical, music and art, culinary and wine meet each other in a unique way. https://esterhazy.at/de/schlossesterhazy/index.do
When Liszt was five, his unusual musical talent was discovered. At the age of nine he already played public concerts in Sopron. He started his artistic career as child prodigy and first-rate piano virtuoso, much like Mozart.
The salons and concert houses of all European cultural centres were at his feet. He was loved by women and adored by music lovers. It is said that their devotion has often crossed the line of hysteria. Franz Liszt is one of the most famous persons of the 19th century.
The Liszt Monument on Esterházy Platz was made in 1936 to celebrate the 125th birthday of this great son of Burgenland. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/monument-of-franz-liszt.html
The old Jewish Cemetery had been installed in the 17th century near the Jewish Quarter.
Due to place restrictions, the new cemetery was set up near the old one.
During the Nazi-occupation it was partly destroyed and tombstones had been used to erect tank barriers all around the city.
After 1945 both cemeteries were renovated and the tombstones were put back into place. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/jewish-cemetry.html
The museum of the Diocese in Eisenstadt has been on the premises of the Franciscan monastery since 1980. Its collection of ecclesiastical art of the region (sculptures, paintings, paraments, i.e. clothes worn in religious services, and devices pertaining to the liturgy, objects of people´s piety and religious graphics) is unique in Burgenland. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/diocesan-museum.html
In 1972 the Austrian Jewish Museum in Eisenstadt was established as Austria’s very first Jewish museum after 1945. It is located in the town’s former Jewish district, near Palace Esterházy, in Palais Samson Wertheimer.
In the course of your tour, you can visit not only the museum exhibitions, but also the synagogue belonging to the Palais Wertheimer, as well as both Jewish cemeteries, on a roundabout walk through the ancient Judengasse.
The small synagogue to the former Hungarian state rabbi Samson Wertheimer (1658-1724) is the gem of the building and the museum. It numbers among the very few synagogues in the German speaking area which was not destroyed in the so-called Reichskristallnacht in November 1938 or during the period following. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/jewish-museum.html
Get to know the past and the peculiar characteristics of this region by looking at artefacts contributed by Archaeology, Biology, Geology, Art History and Ethnology.
What is the purpose of the Landesmuseum? The museum´s main task is to research the historical and cultural development of Burgenland and the surrounding region of Pannonia and present a comprehensive picture of the results of this research to the public. This is done with the aim to stir and develop the understanding and general and scientific interest in the idiosyncrasies of the region. These tasks are fulfilled by scientific research, the set-up and upkeep of collections, planning and carrying out of exhibits, events such as lectures, seminars, symposia, etc. and the edition of printed materials. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/regional-museum-burgenland.html
The largest wine museum in Austria is situated in the 330 year-old cellar vaults of the palace. This impressive exhibition includes more than 700 fascinating objects and gives an overview of the cultural history and rich traditions of viticulture in Burgenland. Among the exhibits are the largest preserved wine barrel and the oldest Baumpresse (a historic type of Austrian basket wine press) in Burgenland. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/wine-museum.html
The regional Fire Fighter´s Museum deals with the history of the volunteer fire departments of the region Burgenland.
More than 450 exhibits show the development of volunteer fire departments in Western Hungary and Burgenland from the second half of the 18th century onward.
The exhibits comprise manuscripts, documents, flags, uniforms, photographs but also large exhibits such as hand-held pressure hoses, fire carriages, and the first fire engine dating back to 1930. https://eisenstadt-leithaland.at/museum-oft-he-fire-departement.html
Vienna's Imperial Palace is one of the biggest palace complexes in the world. The oldest parts date to the 13th century, with construction having continued right into the 20th century. The Imperial Palace was the residence and seat of government of the Habsburg emperors until 1918. Today, it is home to numerous museums with outstanding collections, the Spanish Riding School, a congress center, the seat of the Austrian Federal President as well as the historic Heldenplatz. https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights/imperial/hofburg-vienna
Here you can see what the Habsburg Emperors collected - such as the world’s largest collection of paintings by the famous Bruegel in the picture gallery, marble statues and gold treasures in the antiquities collection, or mummies and grave goods from the empire of the Pharaohs in the Egyptian-Oriental collection.
There are also ancient statues of mythical beasts to admire, while anyone interested in finding out how the children were dressed in the Spanish court 300 years ago should take a close look at the masterpieces by Velázquez. https://www.wien.info/en/vienna-for/families/museums/kunsthistorisches-museum
The pilgrim church "Visitation" was built between 1715 and 1803 according to plans drawn up by Prince Paul I. Esterházy. Unfortunately, the prince did not live to see the groundbreaking ceremony as he died from the plague in 1713.
The portion of the church that can be visited today represents merely the presbytery of the church originally planned. It was to be a place of worship of enormous proportions. The high altar picture "The Visitation" is a copy of a painting by Dorffmeister and dates back to 1797. http://www.eisenstadt-tourismus.at/church-of-joseph-haydn.html
The Haydn Mausoleum is located right under the north tower. It is the famous composer's dignified and evocative place of burial.
Thousands of music lovers from all corners of the globe visit the mausoleum every year.
Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) had been employed with the Esterházy family for more than 40 years. After his death he was first buried in Vienna. In 1820 his remains were transferred to Eisenstadt and put into their final resting place, the mausoleum, in 1954. https://www.eisenstadt-leithaland.at/en/sightseeing/sightseeing/haydn-mausoleum
The famous Calvary at the Haydn church was built by the Franciscan lay brother Felix Niering in the years from 1701 – 1707. The Calvary in Eisenstadt follows the pattern of the Calvary in Maria Lanzendorf in Lower Austria.
Steps and dark hallways lead through an artificial mountain made of rocks and pass by small niches, grottos and tiny chapels portraying scenes of the Passion of Christ.
At the east side of the Calvary, there is the Chapel of Mercy. It contains a miraculous image that is visited by many pilgrims every year. The Chapel of Mercy already forms part of the Calvary. Originally it had been built as Mount of Olives Chapel. After the Statue of Mercy had been transferred from the church in Grosshöflein the chapel was re-consecrated as Chapel of Mercy. https://www.eisenstadt-leithaland.at/en/sightseeing/sightseeing/calvary
The former summer residence of the Habsburgs impresses with imperial ceremonial rooms and magnificent gardens. Maria Theresa, Emperor Franz Joseph, Empress Elisabeth and others once resided here.
Schönbrunn Palace is one of Europe's most beautiful Baroque complexes and has been in the possession of the Habsburgs since 1569. The wife of Emperor Ferdinand II, Eleonore von Gonzaga, had a pleasure palace built on the site in 1642 and called the property "Schönbrunn" for the first time. The palace and garden complex created from 1696 onwards following the siege of Vienna was complete redesigned under Maria Theresa after 1743. Today, due to its historical significance, its unique layout and magnificent furnishings, the palace is a UNESCO World Heritage site. https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights/imperial/schoenbrunn-palace
Schönbrunn Zoo in Vienna is the world’s oldest zoo still in existence and has already been voted Europe’s best zoo on five occasions. Today the Zoo at Schönbrunn is considered one of the best and most modern zoos in the world. Each year more than two million visitors come to see the panda baby, newborn elephants and many other rare animals. More than 700 kinds of animal live here - from the Siberian tiger to koalas and rhinoceros. Highlights are the giant rainforest house, the large South American enclosure and the ORANG.erie, home to Vienna's orangutans.
New and extensive enclosures and animal houses are added each year. But the zoo's historic charm is always preserved. The zoo is part of the Schönbrunn UNESCO world heritage site. In the summer of 1752, Emperor Franz I. Stephan von Lothringen, Maria Theresia's husband, took his royal guests to the newly constructed menagerie in the park at Schönbrunn Palace for the first time. Ever since then, the world's oldest zoo has been operating in Vienna. https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights/imperial/schoenbrunn-zoo
The traces of Roman building activities have been found in the foundation of the castle. Its oldest parts are the lower section of the tower castle, the so-called runaway corridor dating from the XIV. century, as well as the adjacent cross-vaulted hall. https://www.budapest.com/cities_in_hungary/gyor/sights/bishops_castle_and_episcopal_palace.en.html
Above the beautiful bay window of the Baroque building the coat of arms of Győr can be seen; the city archives can be found in this house. https://www.budapest.com/cities_in_hungary/gyor/sights/old_town_hall.en.html
The Wien Museum enables us to travel back in time to the Vienna of the 2nd and 3rd centuries. In the Roman Museum on the Hoher Markt in the 1st district of Vienna you can admire Vindobona.
Visitors will be able to experience ancient Vienna with all their senses through digital reconstructions. Combined with the remaining remains of the tribune houses and the 300 exhibits in the basement, a fascinating insight into the daily lives of the soldiers and inhabitants of Vindobona is provided.
The 300 exhibits of the permanent exhibition were supplemented with digital reconstructions. At various gaming stations, animation films about the supply of Vindobona, replicas for attacking and a Playmobil® legionary camp are presented. https://www.vienna-trips.at/en/roman-museum-vindobona/
As you look at the hustle and bustle on the main square in Tulln, it is fun to remember that people were scurrying across this same spot 2,000 years ago. The Roman Museum in Marcus Aurelius Park can help to trigger your imagination. It exhibits a host of original finds, plus pictures, figurines, dioramas and models that show visitors what life was like at the Roman Cavalry Fort Comagena from about 90 AD to 488 AD.
Visitors can learn interesting things about the Roman province of Noricum. They are provided with an illustrated documentation of other Roman fortifications in the Tulln area plus a depiction of military life at Fort Comagena. A model of the fort indicates its footprint in the current town map. We walk many of the same streets today that the Romans did.
Visitors can admire extensive objects documenting civilian life: jewellery, glasses and pottery, inscription stones and remains of tombs plus a large hoard of coins. A couple in Celtic costumes shows the clothing of the local populace. A wall fresco painted in accordance with original finds illustrates Roman domestic culture also along the frontier of the empire. In addition, the Roman Museum offers finds consisting of a selection of grave goods to show burial customs. http://erleben.tulln.at/en/danube/roman/roman-museum/
The Tulln parish church is around 1,000 years old and was among the early parish churches to be established by the Babenbergs. The charter from Emperor Heinrich II dates back to 1014.
The church combines multiple architectural styles. An Ottonian Romanesque core is juxtaposed with a Gothic chancel and Baroque towers and a Baroque interior. Of particular historical note is the Romanesque west portal, known as the Apostles’ Gate. The marble altar and the magnificent choir stalls are also features of the church that visitors will not want to miss.
The two towers are signs of the church visible from far and wide. They have an interesting story. The south tower belongs to the parish whereas the north one is owned by the city of Tulln. In earlier times, the tower watchman had his lookout and abode in the city tower. His job was to ring the bells to warn citizens if a fire broke out within city limits. http://erleben.tulln.at/en/art/major-sights/parish-church/