A coastal defence system in Reposaari, Pori, built in the 1930s.
Reposaari fortress is a coastal defence system in Reposaari, Pori, built in the 1930s. The fortress is situated in the southern part of the island, west of the Reposaari village. In total, the area covers approximately 20 hectares.
The fortress comprises two gun emplacements, two ammunition warehouses, three crew and medical bunkers, fire control post, observation tower and trenches connecting them. The concrete gun emplacements, ammunition warehouses and fire control post are original. The wooden bunkers and an observation tower were rebuilt in the 1990s and 2000s, as were the timber walls of the connecting trenches.
The fortress was originally the coastal battery of the Reposaari naval civil guard, and it was built by volunteers in 1935. The construction of the battery was funded by Werner Hacklin, and as far as is known, it is the only privately funded coastal battery in Finland. Its purpose was to protect the port of Pori, as well as the city itself. The battery was controlled by the naval civil guard until the mobilisation of autumn 1939, when the Finnish Defence Forces assumed its control. At the same time, the battery was expanded into a fortress. https://www.visitpori.fi/en/reposaari-fortress-2855