active-pinPinned places
active-place

Suceava

Country: Romania
Population:105,797
Time Zone:UTC+3
unLikedSave it
Add a PlaceAdd a Place
unLiked
Voronet Monastery
UNESCO World Heritage Site. Voronet is a monastery in Romania, located in the Voronet village, Moldavia. It is one of the most famous painted monasteries from southern Bucovina, in Suceava district
unLiked
Putna Monastery
The Putna Monastery (Manastirea Putna) is a Romanian Orthodox monastery, one of the most important cultural, religious and artistic centers established in medieval Moldavia; as with many others, it was built and dedicated by Stephen the Great (Stefan cel Mare), ruler of Moldavia (1457 - 1504).
unLiked
Calimani National Park
The Calimani National Park (Parcul National Calimani) is a protected area situated in Romania. Located in Calimani Mountains, including the largest volcanic crater in Romania with a diameter of about 10 km (out now), Calimani National Park has a total area of 24.041.
Have we missed one?
You can add a new place,
sight, landmark, attraction,
things to see
Add a Place
Explore more places related to this search:
unLiked
Botanical Garden Anastasie Fatu
The Botanical Garden, founded in 1856, bears the name of its founder, physician and naturalist Anastasie Fătu. It is the first Romanian botanical garden and, at the same time, the largest in the country, unique from the large number of plant species and special conservation measures applied.
unLiked
Neamt Monastery
Neamt Monastery was first mentioned in the XIV century and it’s the oldest religious settlement in this area – it’s also known as “The Jerusalem of the Romanian Orthodoxy”. We don’t know for sure who was the main founder of Neamt monastery and at what date but among the rulers that contributed to the rising of this church there are Petru Musat (1375-1391), Alexandru cel Bun (1400-1432) and Stefan cel Mare (1457-1504).
unLiked
Palace of Culture
This remarkable construction (1906-1925), built in flamboyant neogothic style, stands partly on the ruins of a medieval royal court mentioned in documents dating from 1434. Today, the 365-room palace houses the Gheorghe Asachi Library and four of the city's museums: the Moldavian History Museum, the Ethnographic Museum, the Museum of Art and the Museum of Science and Technology
unLiked
Precista Church
Precista church is one of the most famous churches of Bacau. Having patron Assumption, the church is part of the architectural complex of the Princely Court of Bacau.
unLiked
Pysanka Museum
Situated not far from Ivano-Frankivsk, the ancient town Kolomyya is notable for its vivid history and inimitable colour. However, it is mostly associated with the unique Pysanka Museum – the only museum in the world, whose exposition is devoted to the art of painting Easter eggs. Ukraine has an age-old tradition of decorating eggs with the plot or ornamental patterns using wax and special dyes, however, it is the Hutsul region where this tradition is especially honoured. The locals even create legends about this ancient art. One of them states that a terrible beast is chained to a high rock in the Carpathian Mountains. Each year it carefully watches that people don’t forget the custom of painting Easter eggs. If there are just a few pysanka (painted Easter eggs), the beast spreads evil on the earth, but, if there are enough painted eggs, love and good defeat evil, and the chains squeeze the evil monster with deadly force.
unLiked
Carpathian National Nature Park
This is the first and the largest national park in Ukraine, created in 1980 to protect the unique natural riches of the Carpathian Mountains. Majestic mountains, picturesque valleys, mountain pastures, crystal lakes, pure rivers, healing springs, valuable monuments of archaeology, history and architecture - all of them make the Carpathian Natural Park desirable to many travellers from all over the world. Located in the mountains of the Prut River basin, the park occupies a territory of over 50 thousand hectares. It amazes not only with its fantastic landscapes and unforgettable scenery, but also with the variety of its flora and fauna. A large number of various plants grow in the part, many of which are on the endangered species list, and almost 200 species of animals and birds live here. Nine hundred meters (2950 feet) above sea level, the Guk waterfall is considered to be the park’s gem, as are the glacial lakes Maricheika (on the mountain Shurin-Gropa) and Nesamovyte (on the mountain Turkul). It is said that sinners’ souls live in the Nesamovyte lake, so one should not swim and throw stones into it. If its waters are disturbed, the sky will fall down in a hailstorm. To judge from the frequency of storms in the region, the park’s guests frequently break this taboo.
unLiked
Salt Mine of Targu Ocna
The salt mining is located about 2 km from the city, in the salt massif of Valcele – Slatinele, at 240 m depth and represents, by the microclimate of salt, an important natural factor of cure used to treat respiratory diseases. The main feature of the microclimate of the mine is the constancy of physical, chemical and microbiological parameters (without daily or seasonal variations), unlike outside air. The climatic parameters of Romanian's salt mining are temperature( approx. 12 ° - 13 °), relative humidity (approx. 60-80%), airflow speed reduced (almost imperceptible), air pressure is similar to the outside pressure or with little difference.
unLiked
Nemira Mountains Nature Reserve
Nemira nature reserve is a protected area of national interest located within the district of Bacau (90%) and Covasna (10%). The nature reserve has an area of 3.490 ha, with rich flora and beech pine forests and with protected species of flowers (Edelweiss, is a well-known mountain flower). Lake Valea Uzului is a natural dam lake situated at an altitude of 532 m, 4 km from Salatruc, and is declared a natural monument by its membership to Nemira Mountains Nature Reserve, included in the European ecological network. It has an area of 4.5 ha and a depth of 3m. The highest peak from the reserve is Nemira Peak, with 1.649 m. Nemira nature reserve houses a rich population of carnivores: brown bear, wolf, fox, otter, lynx, wild cat, but also Carpathian deer, bats, rabbit, deer, wild pigs, predatory birds: golden eagle, greater spotted eagle, forest eagle, pigeon hawk, long-eared owl, boots buzzard, hornets, tawny owl, large owl, little owl, sparrow hawk, common buzzard, kestrel red, swallows falcon, the peregrine falcon. The development of agro-tourism hotels and chalets makes the Mountains Nemira Nature Reserve be a recreational place, as they say, "green" tourism.
unLiked
Yaremche
Situated in the picturesque Prut River valley, this little town is one of the most famous tourist centers of the Carpathian region. First and foremost, Yaremche is a popular ski resort. Its numerous visitors are attracted by its breathtaking mountain landscapes, pure air, unique Guzul character, and variety of leisure activities. During the winter, Yaremche is populated with skiers and snowboarders. Winters here are a skier’s paradise: it is not too cold, and there is very little wind, but a lot of snow. The mountain slopes especially good for beginners, but are unlikely to impress professionals. Thus, more experienced skiers often choose to visit neighbouring ski resorts - Bukovel, Vorohta and Yablunitsa. But you can admire Yaremche’s unique architecture of all year round! You will find many interesting churches, monasteries, and landmarks in the town. Yet perhaps the town’s main attraction is the Probiy waterfall. It is certainly not the highest (it is only 8 meters – 26 feet – high), but it is the most powerful and picturesque waterfall in all the Ukrainian Carpathians. The torrents of the Prut River, which find their way through the stones, create an unforgettable show, which you can watch from a small footbridge that crosses the river. Not far from the waterfall lies a well-known souvenir market, which has already become one of Yaremche’s most popular attractions. You can buy original handicrafts of local craftsmen, at the same time getting acquainted with the distinctive Guzul culture.
unLiked
Spa Resort - Slanic-Moldova
Known as a spa resort, Slanic-Moldova is situated on the eastern of the Carpathians (in massive Nemira) at an altitude of 530 m, on Slanic valley. Slanic-Moldova is an all-season resort, with an intra-lowland temperate climate, with clean air, free of dust and particles that can cause allergies, and rich in resinous aerosols and negative ions.
unLiked
Bukovel
Despite being relatively young, Bukovel is known as one of the most famous and ultramodern ski resort in Ukraine. This recreational haven owes its enormous popularity among both Ukrainian and foreign lovers of outdoor activities to its climate, endless comforts, and plenty of well-equipped skiing trails. Bukovel is situated in one of the most beautiful places in the country, the Ukrainian Carpathians, at an altitude of 920 meters (over 3000 feet). Because snows fall early in the year, and stay for a long time, from November to April the resort has ideal skiing and snowboarding conditions. The resort has 16 ski lifts, ranging from 650 meters to 2000 meters (2130 to 6560 feet) long, which make it one of the biggest ski resorts not only in Ukraine but all of Eastern Europe. Bukovel is especially proud of its excellent ski trails, which, in total, are over 50 kilometers (30 miles) long. They are spread out across five mountains, on specially prepared slopes. Each visitor can choose a track to his or her experience level: there are difficult trails for professionals, and easier ones for beginners; they even have slopes for children. All the trails are equipped with snow canons and are constantly maintained, so they always stay in perfect condition. Bukovel’s slopes are also lit up, so they stay open in the evening. These high-grade trails attract not only skiers, but also those who are fond of snowboarding and riding snowmobiles.
unLiked
Borzesti Church
Borzesti is the village (currently, is a neighbourhood of the city Onesti) from Bacau, where Stephen the Great was born and raised. He founded together with his eldest son Alexandru (1464-1496), the church "Assumption". It was built between July 9, 1493, of October 12, 1494. Legend says that the church was dedicated to a child killed during the invasions of the Tatars. The church is designed in a Moldavian style, just like the Razboieni Church and the Piatra Neamt Church (1497–1498).
unLiked
Bucias Waterfall
Bucias waterfall is situated between Nemira and Vrancea Mountains, at an altitude of 500 m. It is the biggest waterfall of county Bacau and the most beautiful. Waterfall has a fall of 20 m. From Manasitrea Casin go to village Scutaru and then Bucias forest district. From the Bucias forest district, upstream on the river valley, after 3 km we reach the waterfall Bucias.
unLiked
Ivano-Frankivsk Regional Studies Museum
Ivano-Frankivsk Regional Studies Museum (Івано-Франківський краєзнавчий музей; Ivano-Frankivskyi kraieznavchyi muzei). Regional studies museum founded in Stanislav (now Ivano-Frankivsk) in 1940 on the basis of several existing collections, including the Zhabie ‘Hutsulshchyna’ Museum.
unLiked
Market Square Ivano-Frankivsk
Customary for most European towns Market (Rynok) Square is definitely the most popular tourist place in Ivano-Frankivsk. This is not only due to its being town's historical heart, where business and cultural life is in full swing but also due to the whole constellation of the most interesting historical and architectural monuments that are concentrated at the town's main square. Being originally planned and surrounded by ancient cathedrals and fairy-tale houses with miniature statues and fanciful bas-reliefs, the Square is a vivid embodiment of the Renaissance idea of an ideal town. Due to its unique architectural ensemble, whose every building is a true artwork, Ivano-Frankivsk Market Square is frequently compared to its Lviv's namesake, and the town itself is called 'Little Lviv'. Square's main adornment is the elegant Town Hall, the only one in Ukraine built in art nouveau style. Rising high into the air for almost 50 meters, it is the Ivano-Frankivsk's tallest building and, according to the architects' idea, acts as town's main landmark.
unLiked
Cathedral of the Holy Resurrection
The majestic Greek Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Resurrection, whose slender silhouette adorns town's main square (Rynok), reckons among the most beautiful and famous architectural monuments of Ivano-Frankivsk. Strolling through town, it's impossible to oversee its luxurious light building that absorbed the brightest baroque and classicism traits! The temple owes its origin to Jesuit monks. They came to Ivano-Frankivsk in the early 18th century and founded a catholic church on the place of the older church, burnt during Turks' siege of the town. From the very beginning, it was clear that the cathedral's destiny would be unusual: when constructors were digging the trench for future temple's foundation, they found a real treasure - 14 thousand zlotys. Their greater part was spent on the church's building.
unLiked
The Church of Virgin Mary (Art Museum)
Having absorbed baroque and renaissance traits, the building of the parish Church of Virgin Mary is among the most beautiful and most valuable architectural monuments in Ivano-Frankivsk.
unLiked
Assumption of Mary Cathedral
The Assumption Cathedral in Baia Mare is a place of worship built by the Greek Catholic faithful in Baia Mare between 1905-1911. The building is declared a historical monument (code LMI MM-II-mB-04471), next to the episcopal palace of the Greek Catholic Episcopate of Maramureș and the former confessional school (currently Șc. Gen. no. 2), all located on Vasile Lucaciu Street from the municipality of Baia Mare.
unLiked
Holy Trinity Cathedral
The Holy Trinity - the roman-catholic cathedral was built in 1766 by Jesuits on the place of former St. Martin church. The cathedral holds an organ with three registers, built between 1940-1944. The cathedral, which is the perspective head of the Unirii Boulevard in Baia Mare, is an impressive building, representative for the construction of churches in Transylvania, built in the tradition of Orthodox churches, with dimensions of 85 m long, 50 m wide and 85 m high. The cathedral capacity is about 3000 people. From the first level, being plated with brick from Oradea, paved on the floor with porcelain stoneware from Spain and iconostasis made of brick with icons in Murano mosaic. Spacious altar, sf. brick table with a marble plate 2 / 1,50m, gr. 5cm., Oak furniture, wrought iron chandeliers. Twelve columns supporting the central dome and main nave. In the back of the church there is a large Byzantine Hall, where there are exhibitions of icons, two offices and four warehouses. Considering the large influx of believers who frequent this cathedral, the access and exit is made on two doors and two monumental stairs, and at the exit there are two places to light candles.
unLiked
Iancu de Hunedoara House
Iancu de Hunedoara House was built in 1446, it is part of the old medieval castle built by Iancu for his wife Elisabeta.
unLiked
Stephen's Tower
The Stefan Tower is the bell tower of the former church dedicated to "Saint King Stephen of Baia Mare. The tower is located between Crișan and 1 Mai streets, in the immediate vicinity of Liberty Square - Central Square (Circulus fori) - of the old city. It was built The first documentary attestation of the "Sfântul Ștefan" church dates from 1347, but the construction was officially inaugurated only in 1387. The tower, built of solid stone, was built at the initiative of Prince Ioan de Hunedoara, to mark the victory. from Ialomita (1442) against the Ottomans. The construction of the tower begins after 1446 but is completed only in 1468, under the reign of Matthias Corvinus. In 1619, the upper part was rebuilt, having the shape of a pyramid with a square base, with four turrets and is endowed with bells. Nine years later, a moon clock is set. Repeatedly affected by lightning and fire, the two buildings underwent several major repairs, but in 1763 only the tower was rebuilt. On this occasion, the porch at the top is built.
unLiked
Museum of Mineralogy
The museum hosts an exhibition held on 900 square meters, which exhibits over 1,000 samples of minerals, rocks and fossils. There are other 15,000 pieces in the institution's warehouses. The Museum of Mineralogy in Baia Mare is the largest regional museum in Europe, many of the exhibits being considered unique in the world and heritage values. The unofficial, cultural name par excellence and unanimously used is the Museum of Mine Flowers. except for some component crystals, which totally make the piece well individualized compared to the others ”(Victor Gorduza - director of the institution). On the ground floor, the basic exhibition presents the geological composition of North-West Romania, the systematics of hydrothermal minerals and non-ferrous metal deposits on the southern frame of the Oaș-Gutâi mountains, as well as in Țibleș and the Borșa-Vişeu area. Upstairs, the exhibition space includes the most impressive pieces, full of poetry and colour, wrapped in ambient music that creates an image-melodic syncretism conducive to high-profile cultural events - here is the annual awards ceremony " Books of the Year ”, organized by the county branch of the Romanian Writers' Union.
unLiked
The reformed church
The reformed church (Luther) – built in 1912, the church holds an altar painted by Iványi Grünwald Béla, one of the most important representatives of the Baia Mare Painting School. Address: Str. Lucaciu Vasile, nr. 18.
unLiked
Avram Iancu Square
On the western part of the old city walls, guarded by three bastions and gates, this square was initially a marketplace, which was going to be moved to the central square. Eventually, the marketplace was moved closer to the railroad, in the current location of Mihai Viteazul square. Thus, at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century the walls and gates of the city were demolished, and a small park was arranged in this square. Later, new buildings were erected here, such as the National Theater, the Orthodox Cathedral, the building of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, in the Art Nouveau style (today, the office of the Cluj Prefecture); the building of the old “Unió” Masonic Lodge (no. 7 Avram Iancu Sq.); the building of the old military garrison (today, the building of the County School Inspectorate, also known in the oral tradition of the city as the “red building”, a name earned by the red brick walls of the building); the Palace of Justice, where the Court of Appeal and the Tribunal are housed; the EMKE Palace (Hungarian Cultural Association of Transylvania), later purchased by MÁV (Magyar Államvasútak, Hungarian State Railroads), currently the headquarters of the CFR Regional Office; the building of the Archbishopric of Vad, Feleac and Cluj, which houses the Faculty of Orthodox Theology and the building of the Protestant Theology, on the old site of the Reformed Church’s Prayer House.
unLiked
Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral
The Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral (Avram Iancu Square) – Romanian Orthodox Mitropoly of Cluj, Alba, Crisana, Maramures. Archiepiscopate of Vad, Feleac and Cluj (18 Avram Iancu Square). It was built between 1923-1933, according to the plans of the architects Constantin Pompoiu and George Cristinel, representing the Romanian stylistic current. It is one of the most important religious buildings from Cluj Napoca municipality. The church is dedicated to the Assumption – the date in which the Romanian Army entered Transylvania (15th of August 1916). In 1973, when the Diocesan See of Cluj was made Archiepiscopate, the church became an archepiscopal cathedral. Since 1996, the cathedral had been in a great process of outside restoration, a process which came to an end in 1999. Inside, a new Byzantine painting was made, in the famous mosaic of Murano. Since 2006, the building has served as the cathedral of the Archiepiscopate of Vad, Feleac and Cluj, which is also metropolitan of Cluj, Alba, Crisana and Maramures.
unLiked
National Theater Lucian Blaga
The two cultural institutions were founded in 18th September 1919, as an expression of spiritual rebirth after the Great Union in 1918. The building which houses the „Lucian Blaga” National Theatre and the Romanian Opera was built between 1904 and 1906, as a seat for the Hungarian National Theatre, by the famous Viennese firm „ Fellner und Helmer”, combining stylistic elements of new-baroque and Secession. The hall has 928 setas and it is built in New-Baroque style. For decorating the lobby were used stylistic modulations inspired by Secession. The National Theatre and the Romanian Opera have been functioning there since 1919. The opening show of the National Theatre of Cluj took place on 1st and 2nd December 1919, with the plays „Se face ziua” by Zaharia Barsan and „Ovidiu” by Vasile Alecsandri. The „Eupharion” Studio of the National Theatre is specially designed for the young artists and their creative experiments. The Romanian National Opera from Cluj Napoca is the first lyrical dramatic state institution from Romania. The inaugural show took place on 25 May 1820, with the play “Aida” by G.Verdi. More than 200 titles of operas, operettas and ballets from the world repertoire have been put on scene at the Romanian Opera so far.
unLiked
Cluj Tailors' Tower
The Tailors' Tower (Baba Novac Street / Stefan cel Mare Square) is part of the second fortified precinct of the walls system and of the fortifications of the city, built in the first half of 15th century and continued until the 17th century. It was built on the South-Eastern corner of the city defence wall, after 1405, following the privileges keyed by King Sigismund of Luxemburg. The first confirmed documents date 1457, from the time of King Matia Corvin. The administration of the Tower was entrusted to the most powerful guilds of the town – the tailors' guild. Over time, the Tower was devastated several times (1551-1553, 1601, 1627, and 1707). The actual shape is given by the last big reconstruction from 1709-1711, made by the Austrians, out of over 150 stone wagons. The Tower has renewed again in 1956-1957 when they attempted the opening of a history museum of the city of Cluj, a project forbidden by the communist authorities in 1959.
unLiked
Art Museum of Cluj-Napoca
The Art Museum of Cluj-Napoca is a public institution of a culture whose mission is to preserve, research and put forward the real and virtual patrimony of Romanian and universal art. With a collection of over 12,000 paintings, sculptures, graphic arts and decorative pieces, it is considered one of the most important museums in Romania. Founded as an institution in 1951, the museum has been operating since 1956 in the Banffy Palace – a baroque building which was built based on the plans of the architect J.E. Blaumann during the years 1774-1785, its destination being that of residence for the governor of Transylvania. It is the most important baroque edifice in Cluj-Napoca and one of reference for the 18th-century Romanian architecture. A series of sculptures with remarkable artistic value made by Anton Schuchbauer were added to the building in order to complete its stone architectural decorations.
unLiked
Emil Racovita Speleology Museum
The “Emil Racoviţă” Speleology Museum was established in 1998, and it is the only museum in Romania dedicated to the scientist Emil Racoviţă and to the cave science. Emil Racoviţă is the founder of biospeleology and of the first Speleology institute in the world, which was opened in Cluj-Napoca in 1920. The results of the biospeleology program initiated by E. Racoviţă were exceptional: 1,200 explored caves throughout Europe and Africa, a collection of 50,000 copies of cave fauna, 66 scientific studies adding up to approximately 6,000 pages. Racoviţă reached the peak of his scientific career when he elaborated an original theory regarding evolution. The museum also includes The Emil Racoviţă Collection with numerous varied exhibition pieces like a notebook from the period when Racoviţă was a student at the Paris-Sorbonne University (1886-1891), the Zeiss microscope and the Linhof photo device which he used in his “Belgica” Antarctic expedition (1897-1899), the projector and slides he used when teaching his General Biology course at the Science University in Cluj, original drawings illustrated in his scientific works, personal desk objects. The building in which the museum operates is an old medieval prison (from the 14th century up to the 19th century) and it is considered a national historical monument dating back to 1376.
unLiked
Romano-Catholic Church Saint Michael
The Roman Catholic "Saint Michael" Church (Unirii Square), a great historical and religious architecture monument are one of the most imposing gothic edifices from our country. It was built approximately between 1350 and 1480, being the first hall church from Transylvania. The main portal, carved in 1444 in gothic style, ends with a high accolade, showing in the central part the carved image of archangel Michael. The tower from the north facade was built between 1834 and 1863 in neo-gothic style and it is 80 meter high, including the cross. The inside and outside decorations and the baroque carved pulpit are also remarkable. An extraordinary execution is the portal of the sacristy, from the Renaissance (1528) with Italian motifs and a strong south-German influence. The body of the pulpit, in baroque style, was carved by Johannes Nachtigall and Anton Schuhbauer. The mural picture, fragmentary kept, shows stylistic influences from northern Italy and reveals the first signs of the Renaissance in the painting from Cluj-Napoca.
unLiked
Matthias Corvinus House
The Matthias Corvinus House (or Mehffy House) is a stylish building in gothic style from the 15th century (today, Art and Design University of Cluj Napoca). In this house, which was the city’s inn in past, was born on 23rd of February 1443 Matia Corvin, the son of the vaivode of Transylvania, John Hunyadi (Ioan de Hunedoara). Matia Corvin was the greatest king of Hungary (1458-1490), he was learned, patron of arts, wise and just, being mentioned in songs and legends even today. In 1467, he acquited the owners of the house in which he was born from paying taxes and fees to the city. This privilege was enforced by the next kings and princes. The house served as different institutions. It was a college but was also home for the ethnographic collections of the Transylvanian Carpathian Society. Over time, the building has suffered various changes, adapted to the new architectural styles. The basement and some platband of windows and doors that have lintels in the oblique section are characteristic of the gothic style. During the first half of the 16th century appeared the first elements of the Renaissance: some platbands from Renaissance on the facade, with denticles, together with gothic elements, as well as the portal in a broken arch. The original arches were chiefly replaced. During the 18th century, the building was made a hospital and the yard had suffered a few baroque changes. At the end of the 19th century, the building was in an advanced state of degradation and it was restored. Many elements of Art Nouveau, Secession were introduced, being in fashion at that time. In the ’50s of the last century, the modifications of Art Nouveau were removed, being incompatible with the architecture of the building, which gained the present appearance.
unLiked
Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania
Founded in 1922 by professor Romulus Voia, the Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania entered the elite of the Romanian ethnographic museums, due to the exceptional quality of its patrimony. It is currently composed of over 41.000 traditional peasant objects from 17th-20th centuries and a documentary fund of over 80.000 items. The museum has two sections: the Pavilion Section and „Romulus Vuia” ethnographic Park (the open-air section). The Pavilion Section functions in „Reduta” Palace – a historical monument that dates since the 16th century. The current pavilion exhibition, vernished on 16th of December and called „Traditional folk culture from Transylvania in the 18th-20th centuries”, rebuilds, with talent, the way in which the Transylvanian peasantry lived two centuries ago. As testimonies remained simple tools or ingenious equipment used in domestic activities, culminating with rich folk suits, which showed not only the stage of the life but also the social position of the one who wore them. There are also presented traditional costumes of the life cycle, the calendar ones and the peasant costumes, with an essential role in highlighting the regional and ethnic identity. Curiosities: With a history of more than 80 years, the museum is the greatest of this kind in Romania and among the most prestigious in Europe (the sixth). The museum functions in „Reduta” building, which housed during 1848-1865 the Transylvanian Diet. The famous trial of the authors of the Transylvanian Memorandum took place in this building in 1894-1895. It has 50.000 photos, 5.000 diapositives, 12.000 specialised magazines.
unLiked
Central Park Simion Barnutiu
Creating Central Park had been one of the first initiatives of urban remodelling of the city at the end of the 19th century. Its purpose had been the creation of a leisure spot in the close proximity of the city center. The initial name of the area field was ants’ grove situated on the bank of the river Somes. At the beginning of the 19th century, this spot was visited by all citizens of Cluj, the furrier János Meleg provided the public with refreshments. In 1827, the Women’s Charity Organization will rent the grove with the intention to create a “place suitable for longer strolls” and a beer garden based on a contract of 12 months. This contract would also determine the municipality to initiate and sponsor some of the works necessary to drain and consolidate the land that had been a swampy area frequently flooded by the river. In the year 1833, together with the return of the Gubernium a decision will be made on how to spend the gathered money on the development of the park. On this occasion they will establish and name the members of the Promenade comity, a council made up of important members of the urban community; they will also employ the gardener József Schütz to plant, clean and maintain the park. The park itself had been originally founded on the 22nd April 1838 and after two years the engineer Sámuel Hermann was entrusted with the design of the park.