The Byzantine Museum at the church of Agios Lazaros (Saint Lazarus) is housed in some of the cells of the hypostyle porch that still stand to its south. The museum’s exhibits include important religious icons, artefacts and relics, including Byzantine icons, gospels, crosses and other ecclesiastical treasures from the whole district of Larnaka. http://larnakaregion.com/directory/product/ecclesiastical-museum-of-st-lazarus
This historic mosque is located 3km west of Larnaka on the road to Kiti, on the main Salt Lake. After the Arab armies successfully landed in Larnaka in 648AD, the Holy Helper and aunt of Mohamed - Umm Haram - died at the site when she fell off her mule. http://larnakaregion.com/directory/product/hala-sultan-tekke-mosque
Larnaka’s most famous promenade of Foinikoudes Beach is a 600-metre long stretch that combines coast, entertainment and culture along its palm-tree lined length. The sands are fine and varying shades of brown and beige, and the seawaters are calm and shallow, flanked by the marina with its pier and fishing harbour on the one end, and a second pier and the Medieval Fort at the other. http://larnakaregion.com/page/beaches
The magnificent Lefkara Church is dedicated to the Holy Cross and dates back to the 14th century. According to the byzantinologist Athanasios Papageorgiou, the eastern part of the Church dates back to the 14th century, named after considering rescued frescoes behind the church’s iconostasis. This date is also confirmed by the metrical “Olivianos’ inscription”, which appears at the bottom of the Lefkara Golden Cross. There is written evidence that Olivianos was a Lefkara Bishop in 1307 during the occupation period by the Franks. This fact is also confirmed undeniably by the founder’s note on a manuscript dating back to the 14th century, which is kept in the Church’s safe. At the end of this manuscript, which is a precious Evangeliary it is noted that it was written in 1345/46 and that the monk Gabriel who was the abbot and the founder of the “Holy and Life-giver Revealed Cross” monastery paid all the expenses. In 1740 the church was restored and the wooden sculptured iconostasis was then made by the Rhodian sculptor Hadjikyriacos who was called in by the church-warden Lourentzos to this end.
n 1867 important works were carried out in the church and it was, therefore, expanded in order to have a greater congregation capacity. In 1909 common repair works in the church were deemed necessary and then the entrance was constructed as it appears today. The south door was also built. In 1953 the dome was covered with paintings. The style of the eastern part of the church is cruciform with a cupola, while the style of its more recent part is Cypriot dating back to the 19th century. Furthermore, there are six internal pillars ranged in two rows per three pillars. http://www.lefkaravillage.com/churches.html
The visitors of Lefkara must not fail to see the Patsalos house. It houses the Museum of Popular Art and hosts exquisite embroidery samples, some of which date back to the 19th century. http://www.lefkaravillage.com/museums.html
The three bays stretch out in different directions, one to the west, the second to the south west where as the third one stretches in a south easterly direction resulting in well sheltered beach area. https://ayianapalive.com/makronissos-beach/
Golden sands and clear waters! The Landa beach is also called ‘Golden beach’. Located between Nissi beach and Macronissos beach with life guards, shallow crystal waters. https://ayianapalive.com/landa-beach/
Nissi beach, is a well-known sandy beach in the resort of Ayia Napa, Cyprus. The sandy beach stretches for 500m and the waters are clean enough for the beach to have been awarded blue flag designation. The beach which runs the length of its own cove, takes its name from the small islet (Nissi – Νησί in Greek) located close to the coast. https://ayianapalive.com/nissi-beach/
Two of churches were consecrated in honour of Saint George. Оne of them was built in the 19th cеntury, whilst the other, more modern one, was built in 1965. https://www.kiprinform.com/en/villages_of_cyprus/paralimni-2/
The Monastery of St. Barnabas is at the opposite side of the Salamis-Famagusta road, by the Royal Tombs. You can easily tell it by its two fairly large domes. It was built to commemorate the foremost saint of Cyprus, whose life was so intertwined with the spread of the Christian message in the years immediately following the death of Christ. http://www.cypnet.co.uk/ncyprus/city/famagusta/stbarnabas/index.html
The cathedral of St. Nicholas / Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque is the largest medieval building in Famagusta and was commenced in 1300 AD. It must be noted that the great cathedrals of the Middle Ages often took more than 100 years to complete, so was St. Nicholas was completed about 1400. http://www.cypnet.co.uk/ncyprus/city/famagusta/lala/index.html
This was originally a church built in 1359 with funds donated by a successful merchant called Simon Nostrano during the reign of Pierre I. http://www.cypnet.co.uk/ncyprus/city/famagusta/mq-sinanpasha.htm
The Cyprus Museum is the island’s main and largest archaeological museum, and charts the development of Cyprus’ civilisation from the Neolithic Age to the Early Byzantine period (7th century). http://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/culture-religion/museums-galleries/item/113-cyprus-museum
Located close to the main strip of the popular tourist resort of Protaras - which is part of the holiday town of Paralimni - the small beach of Kapparis is a relatively secluded strip that can be found at the end of a 1 km track. http://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/sun-sea/beaches1/item/503-kapparis-beach-blue-flag
The Kyrenia Gate in the North Cyprus is one of the three gates on the walls surrounding the old city of Nicosia. This gate was one of the most important entry-exit points of the city. It is also known as the "Del Providetore Gate" after the architecture Proveditore Francesco Barbaro. http://www.northcyprusonline.com/North-Cyprus-Online-Sightseeing-Nicosia-Kyrenia-Gate.php
The most popular beach in Protaras, Fig Tree Bay takes its name from a solitary fig tree that stands a small distance from the beach. According to local legend, the tree arrived with eastern invaders in the 17th century and has patrolled the coastline ever since. http://www.protaras.org.uk/protaras-beaches/
An ideal place to avoid the summer crowds, Green Bay beach is located to the south of Protaras beach. While the bay has few facilities save for the obligatory sun loungers and parasols available to hire, it is as good a spot as any for a leisurely swim. http://www.protaras.org.uk/protaras-beaches/
Bellapais Abbey is located in the hillside, 6 miles South East of Kyrenia. The Abbey is the best example of Gothic architecture in Cyprus, as well as being ones of the finest in the Middle East. Built by the Lusignans, the first settlers in Bellapais Abbey were the Agustinas Monks, who escaped from Jerusalem in late Twelth century. http://www.kyreniacastle.com/kyrenia.php
Kyrenia Castle is located near the harbour, which is horse shoe shaped. It was originally built by the Romans in the Third century to defend the city, which was located up on the hillside. In the Tenth century, the Byzantines then further enhanced the shape of the castle in order to protect the people of the city from Arab pirates. http://www.kyreniacastle.com/kyrenia.php
Conservation works to the Archangelos Michael Church in Turkish occupied Lefkoniko have been completed. On the October 12, a project completion ceremony of consolidation and conservation works will take place, the Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage, the European Commission and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) have announced.
Archangelos Michael Church was included as a conservation project among the very first priorities of the Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage in 2009 together with Arnavut Mosque in Limassol in recognition of the importance of both monuments. http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/10/11/archangelos-michael-church-project-completed/
Limassol's historical centre is located around its medieval Limassol Castle and the Old Port. Today the city spreads along the Mediterranean coast and has extended much farther than the castle and port, with its suburbs stretching along the coast to Amathus. http://www.limassoltourism.com/en/things-to-do/local-experience/nightlife/1-limassol-city-center
The Limassol Castle is situated in the centre of old Limassol, is a remnant from the presence of Crusaders on the island. It was built in the 13th century on the site of an earlier Byzantine castle and has been converted today into the Cyprus Medieval Museum. http://www.limassoltourism.com/en/things-to-do/local-experience/nightlife/2-limassol-castle
The Limassol Marina will provide for the mooring of yachts at sea and on shore. Additionally, the project includes the development of residential, commercial units as well as buildings for cultural uses. http://www.limassoltourism.com/en/things-to-do/local-experience/nightlife/2-limassol-marina
Agios Ermogenis is a picturesque small beach named after the homonymous chapel that lies right above it. Saint (Agios in Greek) Ermogenis is the patron Saint of the athletes. https://www.cycladia.com/best-beaches-greece/agios-ermogenis/
One of the most beautiful and interesting for visiting amphitheatres is located in Kourion. It will amaze travellers with its majestic appearance, the beauty of the preserved antique mosaics and the magnificent panoramic view that opens from spectators’ seats. http://www.orangesmile.com/extreme/en/operational-amphitheaters/ourion-ancient-amphitheater.htm#object-gallery
The archaeological remains of Kourion - which was one of the island’s most important city-kingdoms in antiquity - are of the most impressive on the island, and excavations have unearthed many significant finds, which can be viewed at the site. http://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/rural/sites-monuments/item/2402-kourion-archaeological-site
Located in the mountainous region of Marathasa Valley, the Monastery of Kykkos is the wealthiest and most lavish on the island, and stands on a mountain peak, at an altitude of 1.318 metres. http://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/culture-religion/sites-monuments/item/263-kykkos-monastery
Located in the village of Geroskipou, this interesting 9th century Byzantine church is a five-domed, three-aisled, barrel-vaulted basilica, making it one of only two such churches on the whole island, and a significant example of Byzantine architecture.
The beautiful interior wall paintings date to various periods, from the 8th-15th centuries. A monochrome reddish cross, painted directly on the stone, is of an earlier type and was revealed during restoration works. This type of cross is usually dated to the Early Christian period, up until the 8th-9th century.
Apart from its frescoes, the church also contains a rather significant portable, double-sided icon, dating to the 15th century. The Virgin Mary is depicted on one side, and the scene of the Crucifixion on the other.
According to tradition, the name Geroskipou (‘sacred garden’ in Greek) derives from the sacred gardens of the Goddess Aphrodite, which were located to the south of the village towards the sea, at the point where the ancient pilgrims began their journey to the sanctuary of Palaipafos (old Pafos). As such, the church may stand on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicated to Aphrodite, although it could also originally have been dedicated to Timios Stavros (the Holy Cross). Today, it is dedicated to the Christian martyr Agia Paraskevi. https://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/rural/sites-monuments/item/700-agia-paraskevi-byzantine-church-geroskipou-village
Paphos Aphrodite Waterpark is the BIGGEST WATERPARK in the Paphos region, a one-of-a-kind naturally landscaped aqua adventure centre.
Situated in Kato Paphos on the coastal road easily accessible by car or the local bus which drops off right on our doorstep!
This non-stop aquatic thrill features, high-speed water slides, an extensive lazy river, wave surge pool, lots of swimming areas and a spectacular kids water-play area, with food court and beverage areas spread throughout the park connected by a lush, tropical environments that are both immersive and interconnected. https://aphroditewaterpark.com/
The Pafos District Archaeological Museum houses a collection of finds from the Pafos (Paphos) region dating from the Neolithic Age to 1700 AD.
The exhibits are set across five rooms and originate mainly from Palaipafos (Kouklia), Nea Pafos (present day Pafos) and Marion-Arsinoe (Polis). They are supplemented by finds from Pegeia, Kissonerga, Lempa, Pano Arodes, Salamiou, Akourdalia, Pomos, Kidasi and Geroskipou.
The first room covers the Neolithic, Chalcolithic and Bronze Age, including coins cut from the mint of Pafos. The second room houses exhibits from the Iron Age and Classical period, including a tombstone from Marion with the Cyprosyllabic script. The third room presents the Hellenistic and Roman periods, with a rare marble bust of Aphrodite and a marble statue of Asklepios. The fourth room hosts exhibits from the late Roman and early Christian periods, while the newer fifth room showcases pieces from the Byzantine Period and the Middle Ages in general. https://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/culture-religion/museums-galleries/item/156-archaeological-museum-of-the-pafos-paphos-district
The famous ‘Tombs of the Kings’ form part of the Archaeological Park of Kato Pafos (Paphos) - one of the most important archaeological sites of Cyprus that has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list since 1980. The monumental underground tombs are carved out of solid rock and date back to the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
Rather than kings, it is actually high ranking officials and aristocracy that were buried here, but the size and splendour of the tombs – some decorated with Doric pillars - gave the locality its grand name.
Some of the tombs imitate the houses of the living, with the burial chambers opening onto a peristyle atrium. They are similar to tombs found in Alexandria, demonstrating the close relations between the two cities during the Hellenistic period. http://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/culture-religion/sites-monuments/item/253-tombs-of-the-kings
The Archaeological Park of Kato Pafos (Paphos) is one of the most important archaeological sites of Cyprus and has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list since 1980.
Nicocles, the last King of Palaipafos moved the city from the previous location to its present location near the harbour at the end of the 4th century BC. Between the 2nd century BC and 4th century AD, Pafos was the capital city of Cyprus.
The Park includes sites and monuments from the 4th century BC to the Middle Ages, while most remains date to the Roman period. The intricate mosaic floors of four Roman villas (the houses of Dionysos, Theseus, Aion and Orpheus) form the impressive epicentre of the finds, and depict various scenes from Greek Mythology. The complex also includes other important monuments, such as the Asklepieion, the Odeon, the Agora, the Saranta Kolones (Forty Columns) Castle, the Limeniotissa ruins of an Early Christian Basilica, and the Tombs of the Kings. http://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/culture-religion/sites-monuments/item/239-archaeological-park-of-kato-pafos-paphos
Standing grandly at the west end of the town’s harbour, Pafos (Paphos) Castle (Medieval Fort) was originally a Byzantine fort built to protect the harbour, and was rebuilt by the Lusignans in the 13th century, but then dismantled by the Venetians. The Ottomans rebuilt it in the 16th century when they conquered the island. What survives today is the 1592 Ottoman restoration of the western Frankish tower with its Venetian additions. An inscription above the only entrance of the castle bears witness to this restoration.
The main part of the castle is a big square tower that has an enclosed courtyard in the middle. The ground floor consists of a central hall with small rooms on each of its two long sides, which were used as prison cells during Ottoman Rule. There are 12 battlements on the roof, which received a corresponding number of cannons. The Ottomans removed the cannons in 1878, when they handed over the administration of the island to the British, who used the castle as a salt store until 1935, when it was declared an Ancient Monument under the Antiquities Law. http://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/culture-religion/sites-monuments/item/245-pafos-paphos-castle
As you eat or walk along the seafront, you will enjoy the view of the medieval castle that adorns the port of Pafos. Pafos Castle was originally a Byzantine fortress, built in 965 AD for the protection of the port. It was completely destroyed by an earthquake in 1222 AD. The castle was rebuilt by the Lusignans around the end of the 12th century to replace the fort of "Forty Columns" for the defence of the island, especially during the Medieval Period (1192-1489). It was destroyed shortly before 1570 by the Venetians, to stop it from being used by the Ottoman Turks, whose invasion of Cyprus was expected. The Turks did indeed invade the island and restored the castle in 1592. They even strengthened it with new fortifications as stated in a Turkish inscription above the entrance. The ground floor consists of a central hall which opened to several small spaces. Under Turkish rule, these were used as prisons.
Pafos (Paphos) Castle served as a fortress, as a prison and also as a salt storage area during the period in which the island was a British colony. In 1935 it was declared an ancient monument. https://www.cyprusalive.com/en/medieval-castle-of-paphos-pafos
A coast that ranks amongst the loveliest of the region.
Located in the Pafos (Paphos) region in Pegeia - a thriving tourist resort - the 500-metre long, Coral Bay Beach is considered to be one of the loveliest coasts of the area.
The sands are deep golden, and the clean seawaters here are calm and shallow, making it a popular choice for all, including families with children. The beach is enclosed by a pair of limestone headlands and has abundant greenery, further enhancing its beauty. http://www.visitcyprus.com/index.php/en/discovercyprus/sun-sea/beaches1/item/541-coral-bay-beach-blue-flag