There are 23 slopes at Tahko, the biggest ones 1200 meters long and as much as 200 meters high. At Tahko, you can find speedy slopes for active skiers, but the kids and beginners have their own slope, too. Snowboarders will enjoy the proper pipe and the boxes and rails of the street.
There are 13 T-bar lifts and two four-person chair lifts taking skiers to the top of Tahko. In addition, there is a lift connection from the slope area to the parking lot, and a safe carpet lift for the youngest skiers.
At Tahko, you do not have to leave the slopes when you get hungry. There are five slope restaurants ready to fill your stomach and quench your thirst. Additional slope services include two equipment rental shops and a ski school.
Puijo hill is the famous landmark of Kuopio, and the ridge of Puijo is among the most popular recreation areas of the city. The hill is 150 metres high, has an observation tower on its peak and is situated close to the city centre of Kuopio.
Puijo Tower provides you with magnificent Finnish scenery and cuisine – not to mention the best window seats! The revolving tower indulges you with views over Kuopio in the middle of the Lakeland. You can order from á la carte menu all day.
Puijo ridge is one of the favourite recreation areas in Kuopio, with its numerous paths and extensive track network. Two nature trails offer a chance to experience the area’s diversity.
You can move freely on most of Puijo ridge. Gathering of berries, mushrooms and other plants is also allowed. Movement is restricted to the paths in the nature conservation area and in the deciduous areas that are less resistant to use.
The Kuopio Automobile Museum is located in Puistokatu 22, right next to the local swimming hall and bowling hall.
The museum is administrated by a group of local car enthusiasts.
The museum contains a collection of old cars, motorbikes and motoring-related gadgets, for example, taxi meters and license plates.
In the same building, there’s a café called Cafe Mobiili, where you can enjoy full breakfast, lunch and delicious pastries. The café is also rentable for different occasions and meetings.
The Orthodox Church Museum, which was established in Kuopio in 1957, derives from the Collection of Ancient Objects founded at the Monastery of Valamo in 1911. Most of the exhibits, which consist mainly of icons, sacred objects and liturgical textiles, are from the monasteries and congregations of Karelia: a region in southeast Finland that was partially ceded to the Soviet Union in connection with the Second World War. Objects in the museum are mainly from the 18th and 19th centuries.
The museum’s icon collection consists of about 800 icons made in various styles and using a number of different material and techniques. The icons depict things subjects like Christ, the Mother of God and other holy persons and events. The most extensive portion of RIISA’s collections is made up of textile objects, nearly 4000 of them. The oldest of the museum’s textiles date back to the 16th century, though the majority of them is from the 19th century. The museum also has an extensive archive of photographs documenting the history of the Orthodox Church.
In addition to the permanent exhibitions, the museum offers yearly seasonal exhibitions. These theme-based exhibitions are aimed to introduce the variety of ecclesiastical art of eastern Christian Church.
Old Kuopio Museum consists of eleven old wooden houses which form an enclosed block. The oldest buildings date back to the 18th century and the most recent, to the end of the 19th century. The interiors show homes and workshops of different kinds of families from 19th century to the 1930´s. There is also a pharmacy museum in the block. In addition there is a café in the block. In the yard, there are many old ornamental and utile plants growing.
Two excellent museums, the Kuopio Cultural History Museum and the Kuopio Natural History Museum in an over 100-year-old building.
From the enigmatic mammoth to the idyllic black cottage!
The permanent exhibitions of the Natural History Museum rich in experiences, including a woolly mammoth interior, offer a possibility to experience Finnish environment and natural phenomena in an ecological setting. The permanent exhibitions of the Cultural History Museum provide information on the prehistory, settlement, local livelihoods, industry and the ways of life in Northern Savo.
Kuopio Art Museum, located in the centre of Kuopio, is housed in a former bank building converted into a museum that opened in 1980. As the regional art museum of Northern Savo Province, the museum includes exhibitions, research and documentation of visual arts.
Art education plays a central role in museum activities. The collections include primarily Finnish art from the end of the Nineteenth Century to the present, with an emphasis on local painters, from the von Wright Artist Brothers and Juho Rissanen to the contemporary artists. The central theme of the museum is nature and the environment.
Artist Pentti Ikäheimonen art gallery Villi Villa is located in the middle of a beautiful Finnish lake landscape, only 5 km from the center of Rantasalmi.
Come and explore the remodelled building and artwork that breathe both rural and natural beauty.
The gallery presents a sales exhibition of Pentti Ikäheimonen and visiting artists as well as works by former masters.
Joensuu Art Museum is situated in the town centre near the market square. In addition to the permanent exhibition, the museum arranges multiple temporary exhibitions of Finnish and foreign art every year.
There are two kinds of exhibitions in the North Karelian Museum. Local history and folk-tradition is introduced in the permanent exhibitions. The changing exhibitions are either own or assembled by the other museums.
The museum details the history of aviation and the Finnish air force from the beginning of the 20th century to the present day: planes, aircraft engines, flying suits and equipment plus, in the new section, air surveillance, air traffic control and air navigation systems. Items on display include a Thulin Type D replica, Fokker D.XXI, Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 and Bristol Blenheim Mk IV bomber. In addition to refreshments and snacks, the café sells aviation-related books and magazines as well as scale model kits and associated items.
Located on Church Park and close to the pedestrian precinct, Jyväskylä Art Museum’s Holvi is a venue for pictorial art, a place for people to gather, and to interact. The main exhibition in summer 2010 showcases masterpieces from the Finnish National Gallery, Ateneum – Ladoga Karelia patrons Elisabeth and Herman Hallonblad assembled a collection of works by much-loved Finnish artists from the late 19th to the early 20th century. The lower gallery features two artists of the current generation, Jyväskylä-based Antti Jokinen and Duncan Butt Juvonen, who has a summer cottage in Uurainen.
The Harju ridge and its landmark, the Vesilinna observation tower, greet visitors from nearly all directions. Harju, a popular recreational area, is a pine forest haven in the middle of the city. A jogging track runs around the area, which also has many paths and trails for pedestrians. The main route from the city centre to Harju runs through the majestic Nero stairs at the top end of Gummeruksenkatu. Named after municipal engineer Oskar Nero, the stairs were constructed as a job creation programme in 1925. Today, they may be even better known as the “stairs of knowledge” among residents, because of the university. Or if you ask for directions to the Harju stairs, locals will know what you are talking about.
The Vesilinna tower was built in 1953. It serves as a water and observation tower as well as the location of Café & Restaurant Vesilinna and the Natural History Museum of Central Finland. Its observation deck offers magnificent views in all directions. In addition, the Vesilinna observation tower (also known as the Harju tower) is an essential part of the soundscape in Jyväskylä.
When Jyväskylä was established in 1837, architect Carl Ludvig Engel planned to build a town hall next to the church square. The building was designed by Karl Viktor Reinius and completed in 1899 becoming a prominent building in a town dominated by wooden buildings. Over 120 years the City Hall has been several times under reconstruction, yet the interior and exterior have been preserved.
Currently, the City Hall has offices and facilities for the Mayor, the City Board, the Registry Office, the City Office, Legal Services and the information desk. It is also a venue for numerous city events.
Free guided tours (in Finnish and sometimes in other languages) are arranged throughout the year.
Savonlinna Cathedral is the main church of Savonlinna’s Evangelical-Lutheran parish. The name of the church originates from the cathedral, the seat of a bishop, located in Savonlinna from 1897 to 1924.
The church was designed by architect A.H. Dahlström in 1858, and it was consecrated on 2 February 1879. The church was damaged during an air raid in 1940. The reconstruction was designed by architect B. Lilljeqvist. The altar choir ceiling fresco, paintings on the gallery bannisters, and the chandeliers were created by artist Antti Salmenlinna. The altarpiece “Jesus in Gethsemane” is a triptych painted by artist Paavo Leinonen. The church textiles, designed by artist Helena Karvonen, are from 1979.
Spahotel Casino is located on a magnificent lakeside site on Kasino island, right in the centre of the city of Savonlinna.
The hotel complex includes a spa, the hotel, a restaurant and a wide range of wellness and free-time facilities and services. Also the Savonlinna Hall, just across the forecourt, offers concerts, theatre performance and other cultural events.
Spahotel Casino offers a wide range of spa, beauty care, wellness and health services. Hot water pools are an excellent way of relaxing after a busy day. Also, try a waterfall massage in the outdoor hot waterfall. To exercise, you can swim upstream. After a spell in a Finnish sauna or a steam bath, in the summertime, you can take a dip into the blue Lake Saimaa. We have also thought of the little ones for whom there is special children’s pool.
Spahotel Casino also has a wide range of different kind of treatments available in the spa. Treatments vary from recreational treatments, rehabilitation and physiotherapy to beauty and wellness treatments. Fysiosatama physiotherapy, Savonlinna unit of the Kyyhkylä Rehabilitation Centre and Ruusunen Day Spa are all located on the second floor of the Spahotel Casino pampering guests.
Finland has hundreds of market squares, but only one with the name Savonlinna!
The location alone in the heart of the lively summer tourist city, amidst the exceptionally beautiful lake scenery and on the banks of the fast-flowing Haapasalmi, which connects the lakes Haapavesi and Pihlajavesi, makes Savonlinna market square unique. The principal city parks and the passenger harbour are integral parts of its setting.
During the festival season, the start of each day of opera is celebrated in Harbour Park next to the market square every morning. Historical steamships call their goodbyes in the harbour and modern motor cruisers start their journeys from their berths at the square, adding their own greetings to the general hubbub. With the general structural change, the businesses on the market square have also adapted, putting more emphasis on the summer, which has become all the livelier with an ambience you can almost touch.
The market provides unforgettable moments for visitors as well as locals, enjoying the delicacies of market cafés, fish restaurants and market stalls.
The building of Olavinlinna Castle began in 1475. The Danish-born founder of the castle, knight Erik Axelsson Tott, decided that a powerful fortification should be build to protect the strategically important Savo region
The church of Kerimäki is the world’s largest Christian wooden church and has the most spacious interior in Finland. It is 45 meters long, 42 meters wide and 27 meters high. The height of the dome is 37 meters.
Hytermä islands are nature reserve area and museum islands, about 7km from the centre of Kerimäki towards Hälvä. Hytermä was declared a protected nature area in the year 1931, and the fact that is has survived almost completely in its natural state is all down to an ex-rural police chief (1916-1940) Heikki Väyrynen, a.k.a. Romu-Heikki, and his wife.
The islands have a one-of-a-kind collection of art made from rocks and easily walked nature paths. Hytermä can only be reached by boat which you can rent before rowing the 400m to the island. Once there you will also find a wonderful sandy beach and a pier.
Hytermä is situated 7 km from the centre of Kerimäki (Savonlinna-Kerimäki 23 km), address: Hälvänsaarentie 80, Kerimäki.
Kainuu Museum is the regional museum of Kainuu.
Temporary exhibitions introduce both international and local art and culture to an audience as wide and varied as possible.
The museum holds a basic exhibition on the history and culture of the Kainuu region, from prehistoric times to the mid-20th century. Temporary exhibitions can be found upstairs and in the small gallery room downstairs.
Petäjävesi Old Church gained inclusion in Unesco's world heritage list as an prime example of northern wooden architecture in 1994. The church is representative of Scandinavian, Lutheran church architecture and the long tradition of log building.
Located in Vuolijoki is the private Riihipiha Museum with its buildings brought to collect, maintain and exhibit the old courtyards of the Kainuu region, exactly as they were before the use of electricity became common. The collection of the 35 numerized buildings and approximately 4000 items in Riihipiha show us what life was like for the earlier generations in Vuolijoki and the Kainuu region.
Johanna and Reijo Oras purchased the Tuunaankartano Manor, situated in the heart of the Retretti area in Punkaharju. The manor-house, built in the 1910s, is the permanent location for Johanna Oras´s summer exhibition. A side building will be renovated into the artist´s summer atelier, offering something exceptional in Finland; the public will have the chance to follow the artist at work and see some of the mysterious birth processes of a work of art from inspiration to the final brush touch.
The Kajaani Evangelical Lutheran Church, built in 1897, represents the most decorative Neo-Gothic style of the late 19th century. The wooden church with its rich decorations was designed by Jacob Ahrenberg. The so-called carpenter-style was used on the inner structures and the roof trusses were influenced by the ones in the Westminster Hall in London. The placement of the church tower on the middle axis of the chamber is of German influence. The slender tower also has a touch of Italian Renaissance and Baroque styles.
Kajaani Art Museum was opened to the public in April 1993. The museum's exhibition rooms are located in the former police house designed by architect Eino Pitkänen. Completed in 1936, the building is an example of pure functionalist style.
The Kajaani castle was built on the Ämmäkoski island of the Kajaani river in the centre of Kajaani, Finland, in the 17th century. It functioned as a governing centre, a prison, and a refuge for residents during times of persecution. The most famous prisoner in the castle was the historian Johannes Messenius, who was forced to live in the poor conditions of the castle from 1616 to 1635.
Construction of the Kajaani castle began in 1604 and was completed in 1619. At first the castle only consisted of a stone wall, two round towers, and wooden buildings in the yard inside the castle. The second phase of construction was ordered by Count Peter Brahe which began in the 1650s and was completed in 1666. Upon completion many of the original wooden structures had been replaced with stone and the castle had become a fortress.
During the “Greater Wrath”, Russian forces kept the castle under siege for months, and upon its surrender they blew up much of the fortress, transporting the inhabitants to Russia to be imprisoned. Kajaani Castle is thought to be the smallest stone castle, and the most northernmost, in the world.
Lusto – The Finnish Forest Museum is a destination for the entire family. It’s a place that brings back memories and creates new experiences. The national museum responsible for forest culture is located in Punkaharju, in the most beautiful landscape of ridges and lakes in eastern Finland. Lusto’s exhibitions and events provide a diverse and illustrative insight into the significance of forests in the life of Finns.
Lusto is sure to appeal to visitors of all ages!
Oravivuori arc point is a part of Struve Geodetic Arc. The Struve Geodetic Arc was accepted into the Unesco World Heritage List in 2005. It represents the cultural heritage of science and technology.
The Struve Geodetic Arc was laid out and measured in 1816-1855 with the aim of determining the size and shape of the Earth. The Struve Geodetic Arc is a chain of survey triangulation measurements stretching from the Arctic Sea to the Black Sea, through ten countries and over 2,820km. Six stations points are located in Finland.
The point of the Struve Arc Puolakka is located at the top of Oravivuori in Korpilahti. It is the most famous of the Finnish Struve Geodetic arc points, because it is located at the top of a hill and there are beautiful views to the lake Päijänne. On this spot a triangulation tower has been erected to commemorate the importance of the Oravivuori (or Puolakka) measuring station to the mapping of Finland.
The old church for Paltamo congregation, the Paltaniemi Church of Paintings, was built in 1726. Another church in Paltamo was damaged in an earthquake in 1626 and a third one destroyed in the Great Northern War as the Russians robbed and burned it in 1716. A Kalevala memorial stone lies on the steps of the Paltaniemi Church of Paintings, symbolising the connection between Kainuu and Karelia. The wooden Paltaniemi Church of Paintings is decorated by paintings in the ceiling and the walls. The bell tower by the church dates back to 1769.
Adventure and lively activities, tranquillity, unspoilt nature, and a unique landscape carved out by the last ice age. The Rokua Geopark is part of the Global Geopark Network, a UNESCO-supported conservation group. It comprises Rokua, Lake Oulu, and the River Oulu Valley. A geopark is a geologically unique area. Rokua Geopark is the world’s northernmost and Finland’s only Geopark.
In the summer, the park offers fantastic opportunities for trekking, kayaking, mountain biking, and fishing. In the winter, you can ski, snowshoe, go on a brisk husky safari, or enjoy a starlit sleigh ride through the winter night. Be part of the Arctic miracle at Rokua Geopark!
Lohionginta Korpikeidas is a fishing place with a guaranteed catch! You can take your freshly caught fish with you or have it smoked. A domestic animal park is an excellent destination for family trips. Sheep, rabbits, chickens and roosters, guinea pigs, chipmunks, turkeys, pigeons, emus, a miniature pig and pony riding. Open also during winter time for fishing.
The Fortress of Lappeenranta is a unique place in South-Eastern Finland. Inhabited and full of life even today, it once formed part of a defence system that also included the fortress of Suomenlinna in Helsinki and the fortress of Hamina.
Although different in size, all three of these fortresses are of a similar nature and share the same passion for development. While seeking to protect and preserve these areas through careful land use planning, they also aim to increase services and levels of activity around the year.
The Fortress of Lappeenranta was constructed as a border fortress, forming part of the chain of fortresses between Finland and North-Western Russia. Over the centuries, the Fortress was alternately held by the Swedes and Russians. Today, the Fortress of Lappeenranta is a valuable component of Finnish, Russian and Swedish cultural heritage and forms part of the Castles and Fortifications chain of cultural destinations.
The Church of the Virgin Mary is the oldest orthodox church in Finland and is situated in Linnoitus, otherwise known as the Fortress of Lappeenranta. There was a wooden church on the site as far back as 1742, the present church was completed in 1785. The most valuable icon here is the 200-year-old Communion of the Holy, found in the middle of the north wall.
Founded in 1965, the Lappeenranta Art Museum initially occupied the same premises as the South Karelia Museum of Cultural History, at the northern tip of the Lappeenranta Fortress. In the 1980s, the Art Museum moved to its present site in the neoclassic-style barracks (built in 1798), opposite the Orthodox Church. In 1986, the Art Museum became the Regional Art Museum of South-East Finland.
The museum is home to a collection of Finnish art from the mid-19th century to the present day. The museum’s largest single collection of old Finnish art was accumulated by Viipurin Taiteenystävät ry (Vyborg Friends of Art); this collection includes works by many well-known artists such as Albert Edelfelt, Pekka Halonen, Tyko Sallinen, Hjalmar Munsterhjelm and Eero Järnefelt. The collection has paintings by artists who were active in Vyborg or were born there. The contemporary art collections, on the other hand, focus in particular on art from south-east Finland and include paintings by Leena Luostarinen, Unto Ahjotuli, Anne Tompuri, Irmeli Tarmo, Eeva Vesterinen, Heimo Suntio and Sinikka Kurkinen etc. etc.
Every year, the Art Museum also stages between three and four temporary exhibitions which feature both the latest trends in the world of art and works representing earlier periods in the history of art.
Built in 1826, Wolkoff House is located in the centre of the town and is one of the oldest wooden buildings in Lappeenranta. It originally belonged to a Russian merchant family, from 1872 to 1986, and was opened as a museum to the public in 1993.
Situated in the heart of Lappeenranta, St. Mary’s Church of Lappee is a double cruciform wooden church that was originally built in 1794. The current church was built by Juhana Salonen, from Savitaipale, although it has undergone restoration work over the years. The altarpiece, representing Christ’s Ascension, was painted by Aleksandra Frosterus-Såltin in 1887, and there are many other paintings in the church by unknown artists.