St. Mark’s Cathedral is probably the most important building in the Korcula Old Town. It is built in Gothic-Renaissance style, completed in the 15th century at the place of other church from 13th century. It was built by local masters and craftsman of stone masonry, very well known in renaissance and baroque Dubrovnik and Venice.
Most famous among them was stonemason Marko Andijic who completed the cathedral’s tower and cupola (1481) as well as elegant ciborium above the main altar. Cathedral’s facade is decorated with the truly beautiful fluted rose and various relief and statues (photos), while the main door – portal is framed by statues of Adam and Eve and figures of lions. Inside the Cathedral there are two Tintoretto’s paintings.
This is the largest Church in the city, oriented east-west. Here on the highest point on the peninsula and central square was a smaller Church most likely consecrated to the Mother of God. https://www.korculainfo.com/st-marks-cathedral/
The Vela Przina, the largest sandy beach in Lumbarda, stretches out in the south-east area of a bay about 1.8 km from the center. The Vela Przina is always well attended, mainly because of its fine sand which is ideal for building sandcastles and its very shallow banks. https://www.bestofcroatia.eu/en/beaches-details/beach-vela-przina-529
The entrance to the Old Town is through the Land Gate (Kopnena vrata) at the south of the Old Town. The gate’s front is covered by a triumphal arch built in honour of commander Leonardo Foscolo, who was instrumental in the defence of Dalmatia during the 17th century. https://www.visit-croatia.co.uk/croatia-destinations/croatian-islands/korcula/sightseeing-korcula/
Beach Banje is pebble/ shingle Korcula Town beach, situated in Borak area in the vicinity of Marko Polo, Liburna and Park Hotel.
This is the oldest beach in the town, very busy in the summertime, crowded with tourists as well as locals.
There are numerous cafes and restaurants nearby, so one can have some refreshment – no need to get fully dressed. https://www.korculainfo.com/banje/
Kula Zakerjan (Zakerjan tower), is also named Berim Tower. It stands on the north of Korcula Town (see map below) in the Zakerjan area. The tower was built between 1481 and 1483 under the rule of Giovanni Mocenigo who was doge of Venice from 1478 to 1485.
The tower is shaped like half-cylinder and has similar crenellation – the distinctive pattern that framed the top of the walls of this medieval tower. On the Northside of the tower, facing Peljesac Channel, there is Venetian coat of Arms of Governor Viaro and Doge Mocenigo. On the Southside, facing Korcula Town, above the arch, there is Tiepolo Coat of Arms. The tower was built by the workshop of Marko Andrijic, the local stonemason. Nowadays, Zakrjan Tower houses popular Massimo Bar that serves drinks on the top of the tower’s terrace. https://www.korculainfo.com/towers/zakerjan/
Zakerjan Beach is located in on the eastern edge of the Old Town and it is one of the oldest swimming spots in Korcula, very popular with locals. The beach offers a lot of large rocks, concrete slabs/ platforms and jetties suitable for sunbathing as well as several steps and ladders for getting in and out of the sea.
Although in the very centre of the Old Town, the waters on this beach are very clean and transparent with beautiful green and turquoise colours. As water is deep enough here, jumping into the sea from the rocks and jetties is safe and fun. Also, a great place to snorkel.
Facing East, the beach is sunny from dawn until the early afternoon while later in the day it is completely shaded by Old Town’s buildings – a good choice if you prefer to spend an afternoon on the beach but still would like to avoid strong sun. https://www.korculainfo.com/zakerjan-beach/
Tower of All Saints, locally called Kula Svih Svetih is also called Capello tower or Rampada. It is built 1493, as part of 12 Korcula towers. It is located on the South-East part of Korcula Town walls, situated in Rampada street, Zakerjan area. Nowadays, the only basement is left of this tower. It is named after All Saints Church located in its near vicinity. https://www.korculainfo.com/towers/all-saints/
A beautiful pebble beach with clear water in the bay of Pupnatska Luka situated some 15 km away from Korcula Town. This is one of many picturesque beaches on the Island offering spectacular views across the channel to Lastovo and beyond. It is a small, easily-accessible beach on the south coast, with clear swimming waters and gently sloping pebbles shingle, making it an ideal beach to enjoy swimming and sunbathing.
A popular family beach with a two seaside restaurant/cafes offering snacks, grilled food and drinks. You can also hire deck chairs and parasols.
There is no natural shade in the near vicinity of the pebbles, so if you intend to spend a day here in the summer, take parasol or beach shelter for some shade. https://www.korculainfo.com/pupnatska-luka/
Arneri Palace in Korcula extends from the western edge of the Old Town to Trg Svetog Marka – the main Old Town square (also, known as Pjaca). Built in Venetian Gothic architecture by Arneri family, this elegantly ornamented palace dates from late sixteenth / early seventeenth century. Beside the artistically valuable courtyard (see above photos) the windows and the walls of the palace in the south street are decorated by intricate building and sculpting details. The palace, being among the most beautiful buildings in the town is a well-known town landmark. https://www.korculainfo.com/arneri-palace/
Bishop’s Treasury Museum is located in Bishops Palace in an elegant two-storey palace on Sveti Marko Square in Korcula Old Town. The museum is also called Abbey Treasury of St Mark (Opatska Riznica Svetog Marka). The ground floor covers parish office, library, archives and Kitchen exhibition hall. On the first floor, there are exhibits of Treasury hall, while the top floor covers residence of the parish priest.
The museum exhibits numerous works of art including some paintings by Blaz Jurjev and Tiepolo. There are also old manuscripts with illuminated codex from the 12th century, alabaster sculptures from the 15th century as well as a statue of Mary Stuart from the 17th century. This is an interesting museum collection worth to visit if you are in Korcula. https://www.korculainfo.com/bishops-treasury/
Korcula Town Museum (Gradski muzej Korcula) is located at St Mark’s Square facing Cathedral Sveti Marko.
The Museum is housed in Gabrielis palace that was built in 15th and 16th century. It is 3 storey building with basement and attic. Museum has various collections covering Korcula’s history and culture from Ancient history to nowadays. https://www.korculainfo.com/museums/korcula-museum/
House of Marco Polo – believed to be house in which Marco Polo, the famous world traveller and writer was born. It’s recently bought by Korcula’s Town Authority which is currently planning to reconstruct and redone it into the Museum of Marco Polo… At present, just the part of the house is opened for visitors to have a look around. Climb narrow stairs and enter to the Loggia that has great views over Korcula Old town’s roofs. https://www.korculainfo.com/marcopolohouse/
Vapor Art Gallery is lovely Korčula art space located in the very Sea Gate medieval Tower right next to Morska vrata town entrance. The gallery offers for sale large selection of major Croatian contemporary and modern artists including paintings by Stipe Nobilo, the local painter, Vasko Lipovac and others https://www.korculainfo.com/vapor-art-gallery/
Today's parish church, the Church of the Assumption was erected on the foundation of the early gothic church and was expanded and fortified in 1535. The church vestry preserved valuable liturgical vestments and several crosses of artistic value and the painting of "Mother of God and the torture of Fabian and Sebastian" of the Flemish-Venetian painter Pietera de Costera is especially valuable. 15th of August, the day of Vela Gospa (The fiesta of the Assumption) there is a fiesta in Jelsa when people from the surrounding places visit Jelsa.
On the night of Good Thursday from Jelsa starts the procession Za Križem (Procession of the Cross) towards Pitve then further on towards Vrisnik, Svirče, Vrbanj and Vrboska. After a 22 km long journey, with the first rays of the morning sun, the procession returns to the parent church. This unique tradition which has been going on for 500 years is on a representative UNESCO list of non-material cultural heritage of the world. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/church-of-the-assumption-jelsa/HV-TR-125
One of the most significant monuments of the island of Hvar is definitely the Church – fort erected in 1571, after the Turkish attack on the location of an older church that originated in 1465.
The church has the shape of a fort with an observation post and a loop-hole and from its top, there is a beautiful panoramic view of the surrounding places and fields. The church preserves valuable works of Stefan Celesti ('Lady of Mount Carmel'), Antonio Sciuri ('Mary's Childbirth'), Giuseppe Alabardi ('Resurrection' and 'Placing into the tomb') Marko Rašica ('Lady of Mount Carmel') and Celestin Medović ('Homage of the Three Kings'). https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/church-fort-of-st-mary-vrboska/HV-TR-23
The Museum was opened in 1972 and preserves numerous fishing equipment and accessories. Amongst many interesting exhibits, there is an appliance called svićalo which was used to light pinewood splinter and whose light attracted fish. There are also petroleum lanterns that were immersed under seawater, old rudders, fish-hooks, but also cooper's tools. The Museum preserves a collection of treated crabs, fish and shells of the Adriatic seabed and amphora from the Roman period. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/fishing-museum-vrboska/HV-TR-36
Tvrdalj was built as a fort for defence from the Turks by the renowned poet from Hvar Petar Hektorović. It was erected by filling up the sea and one could enter it only over a bascule bridge. In the centre of Tvrdalj, Hektorović designed and built a Romanic park with a fishpond. Tvrdalj has numerous stone inscriptions, but the one saying 'Omnium Conditori' is the most significant one, since, with it, Hektorović dedicated his Tvrdalj to God, the Creator of everything. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/tvrdalj-stari-grad/HV-TR-24
In the 19th century during the period of sailboats Stari Grad marked the development of the shipping industry and naval construction. There is a rich naval collection preserved in Palace Biankini in Stari Grad. The collection was founded by the Centre for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage of the island of Hvar in 1966 and besides documentation on naval construction; it also displays various nautical instruments, paintings of Hvar captains, old nautical charts and literature on navigation. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/palace-biankini-and-naval-collection/HV-TR-38
Located in the center of the island of Hvar Jelsa is the ideal starting point for many excursions:
Bol is a place on the south shore of the island of Brač situated at the foot of Vidova Gora, the highest peak of the Adriatic islands. If you visit Bol you will be mesmerized by the scent of pine forests, clear sea, beautiful beaches and cultural landmarks like the Dominican monastery and parish church. The unavoidable attraction of Bol is definitely the pebble beach called Zlatni rat (Golden Cape), one of the most gorgeous on the Adriatic. This natural phenomenon was created by the precipitation of fine sand of the underwater reef, because of the influence of water currents and winds the point of the beach constantly changes its shape. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/bol-and-zlatni-rat-beach-excursions-from/HV-TR-13
Lovrečina beach is situated on the northern part of the island of Brač, between Postira and Pučišće, known for its large sandy beach and precious archaeological sites. The remains of the St. Lawrence basilica from the 5th and 6th century can be found in Lovrečina and local pilgrims from the surrounding places visit it on the feast day of St. Lawrence, August 10. https://www.visitbrac.com/tours/lovrecina-beach/BR-TR-115
A magnificent bay with the biggest cobblestone beach in Hvar besides plenty of sunshine and crystal clear sea offers delicious dishes in the nearby restaurants. Equally it is equipped with canoes and pedal boats to visit nearby bays, and with conveniences such as deck-chairs and parasols on the very beach. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/beach-pokonji-dol/HV-TR-83
An easy stroll from Hvar's square, along the sea and the waterfront soon brings you to the Franciscan monastery. Within the peace and quiet of the monastery walls, you can enjoy a rich display of museum exhibits (collections of Greek, Roman and Venetian coins, liturgical items, atlas of the ancient cartographer Ptolemaeus, rare exhibits of amphora, etc.), as well as paintings of Venetian artists like Francesco Santacroce and Palma Junior. The monastery is known for its magnificent painting of the Last Supper (2 x 8 m) which leaves everyone breathless. Some critics believe it is the work of a painter from Ravenna Matteo Ingoli, whilst others think that the painting belongs to the school of Palma Junior. One more rarity that makes the monastery famous is the 300-year old cypress that is located in the garden of the monastery. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/franciscan-monastery-hvar/HV-TR-28
If you visit Hvar, all the streets will lead you to Hvarska pjaca (Hvar's square), the centre of the city's public and social life and the largest square in Dalmatia. The eastern side of the square is surrounded by the Cathedral of St. Stephen that was built on the foundations of an early-Christian church from the 6th century and that acquired its present appearance in the 16th and 17thcentury. The Cathedral is dedicated to St. Stephen, a pope and martyr, the protector of the Diocese and the city of Hvar.
The renaissance bell-tower of the Cathedral and Hvar's other bell towers (St. Mark, Franciscan and the ruined one of St. Venerande) are considered to be the nicest ones in Dalmatia. Hvar's Cathedral preserves many valuable items and paintings of famous painters like Stefano Celesti, Palma Junior and the Spanish painter Juan Boschettus, but the most renowned painting is definitely Madonna, an example of the proto-Venetian art and one of the oldest in Dalmatia originating back in 1220. In the Episcopal Palace standing next to the Cathedral, a collection of objects of art, sacred vessels, archival documents, old books and liturgical vestments was founded in 1963. http://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/square-of-st-stephen-cathedral-of-st-stephen/HV-TR-37
Resembling an art studio or creative room which also serves as a living space, the gallery Hvaroom hosts exhibitions of Maja Jelušić and Ana Kolega. Over the last couple of years, it also featured photo exhibits of Ivo Vučetić, Filip Bubalo and Marko Jelušić. Apart from paintings and sculptures, the gallery also offers a variety of textile articles, author postcards and books. This crafty corner is situated in a stone Mediterranean house, grandma's 300 years old legacy semi-detached with one of the oldest theatres in Europe and Arsenal, former Venetian warehouse. Good, old grandma is still around, just like a cosy bar on the terrace Belvedere two floors above, opened on the previous location of Hvaroom, representing an additional exhibition venue of the gallery. In a thirteen years long art trajectory, the gallery has been recognized as a pleasant meeting place offering a variety of unique art products created out of love for the island’s hidden delights. The authentic interior is a melting pot of art, design and life’s little pleasures. Studio and gallery. Store and room…Hvar room. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/hvaroom-gallery/HV-TR-261
Prehistoric town walls, numerous archaeological finds, several sarcophagi, reliefs and medieval graves are an evidence of the long history of the place and the lives of its people. Where there once stood Illyrian town walls from 1400 BC, later was a Roman mausoleum, then a Radojković Tower built for defensive purposes and today it is a museum of the island of Brač. The museum displays interesting exhibits from Kopačina cave, Roman tomb-stones, sea charts and diverse folk handicrafts from the entire island. This jewel of historical and cultural heritage has always been a very popular tourist destination. The long history and culture of the island of Brač is best seen in Škrip – the oldest settlement on the island. https://www.visitbrac.com/tours/the-museum-of-the-island-of-brac/BR-TR-146
If you walk from the square to the north, passing the main city gate or Porta di datallo (Gate of Dates) ascending the stairs through the old part of the city in which there are palaces built in the 15th and 16th centuries, through small bends that give out the aromas of Mediterranean plants, you will reach Hvar's fort Fortica or how the locals call it Španjola. It was built at the beginning of the 16th century (during the Venetian rule) and was reconstructed in 1579. Today the fort holds a collection of amphora and other exhibits from antiquity and the Middle Ages. Besides experiencing its exquisite architecture, you will experience an unforgettable panoramic view of the city of Hvar, its surroundings and the Pakleni islands. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/the-fort-fortica-spanjola/HV-TR-27
The museum of oil presents the traditional process of olive oil production on the island Brac. The museum of oil exhibit olive mill, olive press, spindle for tightening press screw, bags, fireplace for heating the water and all traditional tools for transport, production and storage of olive oil.
The museum of olive oil also shows paintings by academic painter Hana-Marta Jurčević Bulić and sculptures made by mag. sculptor Đani Martinić, presenting workers in the oilery in an interesting way.
In 1864 Josip Krstulovć family founded the oilery in a small town of Skrip on the island Brac.
By the early 20th century Kruno and Mandica Krstulović have upgraded the oilery by buying the new ''Thomas Holt'' olive press
from Trieste. The family continued to process the olive oil until 1963 when the oilery stopped working due to the introduction of new technologies (hydraulic press).
In 2013 Kruno Cukrov (grandson of Kruno Krstulović) and his family took the challenge of restoring the old oilery and by July 2013 the oilery become Museum of olive oil in Skrip and it is open for public as a historical and cultural monument of the history of making olive oil on the island Brac. https://www.visitbrac.com/tours/olive-oil-museum-in-skrip/BR-TR-147
After the meeting with the local guide and short transfer, we move down the southern slopes of the island by foot. After 40 minutes of light walking, we reach the monastery from the 16th century which was built by Glagolitic priests running from the Turks. This isolated monastery is built under the big living rock in the middle of untouched nature. You will be amazed by the story of this hard life and the fact that this was a respected astronomy centre. After visiting the museum, you can relax in natural surroundings and the sound of the island. We will also pass next to a small abandoned village Dragovode from which the children every day went to school in Blac. After this exciting return to the past, we continue with the transfer to the island's highest peak – Vidova Gora, 778 m high. This is the highest peak of all Adriatic islands, with a beautiful view over the islands of Hvar and Vis, and, in fine weather, even Italy. You have the chance to relax on a really special point on the island after which we return to Supetar. Don’t miss a chance to experience the island of Brač! https://www.croatiagems.com/vidova-gora/
Carpe Diem beach is located on the area called Stipanska on the island of Marinkovac. On more than 2,500 square meters located partly under dreamlike pine trees, you will find wellness bath equipped with wooden deck-chairs, parasols, swimming pool, volleyball court and a school for diving.
As well there is a restaurant and a lounge and cocktail bar.
Besides the daily one, there is the night Carpe Diem beach offer in Stipanska bay organizing very popular night entertainment, such as beach parties run by world-famous DJs. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/carpe-diem-beach-stipanska/HV-TR-19
For those in search of entertainment it is definitely Hula-Hula beach, not far from the hotel Amfora offering you refreshments not only in swimming and cocktails but being active in listening and dancing due to the world-famous DJs. Hula-Hula beach club is located in the west part of Hvar town, just a short 5-minute seaside walk from hotel Amfora and 15-minute seaside walk from the city center.
Hula-Hula is ideal for a complete day relaxation, with sunbeds and umbrellas rentals and Bubba Gump restaurant which offers light food, Thai food and seafood. Also a wide range of cocktails and tropical drinks is available here. Hula-Hula beach club is famous for it’s after beach parties, which start at 5 PM and last till sunset which you can clearly see from this location! So, do not miss the popular after beach party and magical colours of the sky and the sun in the summer sunset. https://www.visit-hvar.com/tours/hula-hula-beach/HV-TR-245
Jaksić Gallery is located in the family yard, surrounded by the workshops of each author. In it, you can find the paintings of doctor of art Dina Jaksic, jewellery made of semiprecious stones combined with silver designed by Ida Jaksic, stone sculptures of the sculptor Lovre Jaksic, while the interior and exterior of the gallery are work of stonemasonry workshop which is in the property of Drazen Jaksic. He is not only a master of the craft but also a designer with the idea. The gallery also contains a number of useful items made of Brač stone and stone furniture which is an attraction itself. https://www.visitbrac.com/tours/jaksic-gallery/BR-TR-162
Porta Orientalis is their Roman name. These gates were used to enter the palace from the east towards the west, through the main street, decumanus, all the way to the Iron Gate and to Pjaca, the central city square.
The Silver Gate was more modest in its decorations than the Golden one, and it was closed from the Middle Ages till 1952, only to be thoroughly reconstructed during the destruction of the Baroque church Dušica. On each side of the gate, the remains of the octagonal towers are visible, hence making it easy to imagine the beauty of the construction and the strength of the control over the entrances from the north, east and west. Entering through those gates the passersby, even today, have the opportunity to walk the original ancient pavement on decumanus, walked also, so many years ago, by the Diocletian's subjects.
Silver Gate has recently enriched its history with the greatest event for all the Split Catholics when in the year 2000 Pope John Paul II passed through them admiring the beauty of St Domniuses Cathedral where he later prayed. https://visitsplit.com/en/522/the-silver-gate
Among the European cathedrals the one in Split finds its seat in the oldest building - the Mausoleum of the Roman Emperor Diocletian. Inside the cathedral, at the end of the second millennium, the history reconciles ancient pagan, Christian Medieval and modern heritage. http://visitsplit.com/en/527/cathedral-of-saint-domnius
Diocletian Palace is one of the best preserved monuments of the Roman architecture in the world. The Emperor's Palace was built as a combination of a luxury villa - summer house and a Roman military camp (castrum), divided into four parts with two main streets. http://visitsplit.com/en/448/diocletian-palace
Porta septemtrionalis is their Roman name. Emperor Diocletian walked through them as he entered the Palace on the 1st of June 305. They were built in the shape of a rectangle, with double doors, as part of the defensive military tactics (propugnaculum).
The facade was decorated with niches containing figure sculptures of the four tetrarchs (Diocletian, Maximian, Galerius and Constantius Chlorus). These doors, starting from Peristyle, and then through Cardo street, led directly towards Salona as the capital city of the Roman Province Dalmatia, and could only be used by the emperor and the members of his family. Today they are, together with the nearby monument to the Bishop Gregorius of Nin (Grgur Ninski), the work of a great Croatian sculptor Ivan Meštrović, one of the favourite Split tourist spots.
Under the influence of Venice, in the 16th century, the gates change their name to Porta Aurea or Golden Gates, and this name stayed with them to this day. https://visitsplit.com/en/521/the-golden-gate
The Riva started to look the way it does today two centuries ago, when the French, in time of Napoleon ruled these parts through Marshal Marmont. Today this promenade is the cities living room, the most popular and most important public place in Split. In the meantime, it has been widened and reconstructed several times, but it was always blessed with the most spectacular setting, the south facade of the Diocletian Palace, with the entrance into the Substructures, and later on with the buildings that were built west of the Palace, also the Franciscan monastery with the church of St. Francis, and the Bajamonti Dešković Palace and last but not least the Port Authorities building on the east end.
Riva today is pedestrian heaven, thrusting with Cafés and restaurants, an ideal place for having your morning or afternoon coffee, or for an evening out with friends over drinks. Riva is the stage of the city life of Split, a venue for numerous cultural and entertainment events, boisterous Split carnival, as well as the stage for meeting Split sportsmen after countless successes, such as Goran Ivanišević, Hajduk football club players and Jugoplastika basketball players, Olimpic medal winners... Riva is also a political forum, with decades of political opportunities being depicted through mass rallies. Naturally, Riva is always at its best in time of Sudamja, a celebration dedicated to St. Domnius, the patron saint of Split. https://visitsplit.com/en/512/the-riva
Their original, Roman name was PORTA OCCIDENTALIS, and they are one of the four through which life flowed during all 17 centuries of the history of Split. From the very first day that they were opened, they continued to witness all the changes the city went through from the Roman times, through the middle ages till today, all the power and influences, only to welcome, even to this day, with the bells of the Renaissance clock, the city of Split with its citizens. A relief of Nika, the Roman Goddess of Victory stood on the lintel, but already in the fifth century, the Christians carved a cross in its place as their symbol.
In the eleventh century, a small church of our Lady of the Belfry, was built above the door, originally dedicated to St Theodor, with beautiful early Romanesque bell tower. In the Middle Ages the area inside the gate was used as a courthouse, and until about fifty years ago an empire of small shops found its place there.
These entire history dynamics is present to this day, with housing construction in the very walls of the gate, bell tower, part of the Roman guard's pathway with a wonderful view of the decumanus and the People's Square (Narodni trg), and also city clock which is of special interest as it has 24 digits instead of the usual 12. By the very door, one of the most beautiful Palaces of the late Split noblemen found its place, belonging to the family Cypriani Benedetti, decorated by two unique six-arch windows. https://visitsplit.com/en/523/the-iron-gate
Gallery featuring contemporary sculpture, paintings & other works of the namesake artist.
Vasko Lipovac was a Croatian painter, sculptor, printmaker, designer, illustrator and scenographer and one of the most prominent artists of the region. He is best known for his minimalist figuration and use of intense, unmodulated and often dissonant palette. With the exception of his juvenile period of geometric abstraction, he remained loyal to figuration throughout his whole career. Exceptionally prolific, he worked in various techniques and was equally skilful in using high-polished metal, polychromous wood, enamel, terracotta or polyester to create his sculptures, reliefs and mobiles. http://www.vaskolipovac.com/
Art Studio Naranča was founded in 1983 as a design studio of small arts and crafts objects. When the gallery moved in the bigger space at the beginning of the nineties in Majstora Jurja street at the heart of Split’s Diocletian palace we have expanded our activities by organizing exhibitions of Croatian and international contemporary artists.
International graphic art biennial “Splitgraphic” was established ten years ago in Studio Naranča gallery. Fifth “Splitgraphic” International Graphic Biennial was successfully organized in 2011. with participation and exhibitions of renowned Croatian and international artists.
In gallery Studio Naranča you can find the works of Pavo Majić, a graphic artist, his prints, paintings, designed items, Maja Mijač Majić’s unique jewellery, as well the books by Marina Majić and Pavo Majić. https://studionaranca.com/studio-naranca/
On the steep cliffs of the gorge between Kozjak and Mosor stands the Klis fortress, with one eye facing the sea and another facing Zagora. It was built on an extraordinary strategic location that allows military and commercial control over the whole Klis valley and the area of Salona and Split. Because of its importance, Klis was often referred to as the key to Dalmatia and the heart of the medieval Croatian kingdom.
The findings from the Krčina cave are the first traces of the settlement of the area around Klis fortress. It is ceramic pottery in which different forms are imprinted before the baking from which the name Impresso culture is derived, and it lasts from 6000 to 4500 BC on the Adriatic coast. Today we do not know much about the population of those times, but there is a possibility that there were first traces of agriculture in the Adriatic coast.
The first population of this area we can accurately identify are the Dalmatians, one of the Illyrian tribes. They inhabited the area from the river Krka to the Neretva, among others the area along the river Jadro (today’s Solinčica beneath Klis). They raised their forts on natural elevations for easier protection from possible attackers. At the foot of Klis fortress, the remains of such settlement were found, and its role was control of the passage between Kozjak and Mosor. Together with the other nearby forts, the hill below Klis controlled access to Illyrian Salona and the mouth of the river Jadro. This role will take on all of the later buildings at this location. https://www.tvrdavaklis.com/povijest-tvrdave/?lang=en
Split Get The Museum of Game Of Thrones "Excuse yourself in the impressive interior: 'This is a series of prints, it's ice-cold, you feel smudged and smells the same'
In Bosanska Street, one of the town's vineyards. Just next to the street where some of the serial scene scenes were recorded. Not far from Diocletian's basements, where Khaleesi put the dragons in captivity. One of the dragons at the entrance is the visitors of this interesting Split's tourist acquisition. His head had pierced the wall, fluttered the enormous ears, and with his sharp canine, he slid his slit, spread his eyes. And he's in real-life, so scary that little children and those weaker nerves could even upset... https://game-of-thrones-exhibition-museum-split.business.site/website/game-of-thrones-exhibition-museum-split/
Enter the fascinating world of illusions that will trick your reliance on your senses, but also amaze you at the same time; the world that will confuse you completely, but also educate you… Visit us and you will be thrilled because nothing is what it seems, especially not in HERE!
Are you ready for even a bigger, better, and more fascinating adventure? Visit the Museum of Illusions in Split; we offer you an intriguing visual, sensory and educational experience with a handful of new, unexplored illusions.
The Museum of Illusions in Split provides you with a space suitable both for social and entertaining tours through the world of illusions, prone to delight all generations. It’s a perfect place to gain new experiences and have fun with friends and family. Not only is it a place for children who love paying it a visit, but it is also a place for parents, grandparents and couples. https://split.muzejiluzija.com/en/
The Church and the Monastery of St Francis, located on the Western part of the Riva, were built on the old early Christian site, by the grave and a small Church of St Felix, martyr from the time of Diocletian. In the 13th century, the Little brothers of St Francis inhabit the Church. From the Churche's artwork, the most valuable is the Gothic Crucifix painting by Blaž Juraj of Trogir from the beginning of the 15th century, and the sarcophagus depicting the Crossing over the Red sea, part of the sacral artwork from the Roman times. Next to the Church is a Franciscan monastery with a 13th-century cloister and an opulent library with over 3000 books, among which even some from 16th century. In the Church and the Monastery are tombs of prominent citizens of Split, like the father of Croatian literature Marko Marulić and one of the greatest Croatian politicians Ante Trumbić whose sarcophagus is the work of Ivan Meštrović. https://visitsplit.com/en/1239/church-and-monastery-of-st-francis
Prokurative or as they are officially called, Republic Square resemble the Venice St. Marks Square. They are located west of the Riva and they were named after the arches found on the neo-Renaissance buildings surrounding the square on three sides. http://visitsplit.com/en/514/prokurative
As the oldest museum institution in Croatia, the Split Archaeological Museum was founded in 1820 by the decree of the Dalmatian government in Zadar. The incentive for the establishment of the Museum was provided by the visit of Emperor Francis I to Dalmatia in 1818, which also included visits to Split and Solin. The original museum building was erected in 1821 next to the eastern walls of Diocletian's Palace but soon became too small to house the growing number of monuments.
A new era in the development of archaeology in Croatia is associated with the work and activity of Father Frano Bulic, director of the Split Museum since 1884.
Father Frano Bulic (Vranjic, 1846 - Zagreb, 1934), a catholic priest, archaeologist, historian, and conservator, had for more than 50 years been working as a field researcher, conservator and writer. He is known as the founder of the Croatian archaeological society "Bihac" that was established in Split in 1894. https://www.mdc.hr/split-arheoloski/eng/index.html