The grand opening of the brand new home of the Silesian Museum is perhaps the biggest of all of Katowice's recent investment unveilings. The museum’s scope, the quality of the permanent exhibitions and the architectural prowess of the newly adapted subterranean chambers are all equally impressive.
Katowice's oldest existing Catholic parish church was built from Silesian dolomite, not the usual red brick, between 1862 and 1870 to a design by the famous Breslau (Wrocław) architect Alexis Langer. Originally planned on a far grander scale than it was eventually built, the 43m-long, 31m-wide neo-Gothic building features an eye-catching, trademark Langer 71m octagonal tower and a feast of good things inside. The altar in the transept supposedly dates from the 15th century, whilst the wonderful stained glass windows on either side of the nave representing sin and virtue are the work of Adam Bunsch (1896-1969). The Chapel of the Holy Sacrament includes a likeness of Father Emil Szramek in traditional Silesian dress. Szramek was the parish priest from 1926 until his arrest by the Gestapo in April 1940. Sent to a number of concentration camps including Dachau, where he quickly became a spiritual leader for other incarcerated Silesian priests, he was murdered on January 13, 1942.
If you get to the brand new sparkling Rynek and see a strange unidentified lying object at the end of Al. Korfantego, the odds are you're looking at Katowice's very own flying saucer! This multipurpose 'space age' sports and concert venue has a rather colourful history as you might expect and has the ability to play space tunes whenever the lights go on.
3 Maja Street (former paniaga) is one of the oldest and prettiest streets downtown. An elegant promenade of our city, a place of family and friendly meetings. This oldest city route was created shortly after Rzeszów was granted city rights (in 1354). He connected the headquarters of the then owners of the city (the area of the later built Lubomirski Castle) with the Parish Church and the Bernardine Fathers' Monastery. It begins at Farny Square and the intersection with Kościuszki Street, and ends at the branch where the Lubomirskich Avenue and Zamkowa Street start. The current street name was given to it in 1891 on the occasion of the centenary of the 3rd May Constitution. Initially it was Zamkowa Street, then Pijarska Street, then Pańska Street, it was called Paniaga in the dialect of Rzeszów.
In the buildings on the east side of the street behind the building of the "Galeria Paniaga", a large section of the street is occupied by the frontage of the complex of the former Piarist convent, and then two banking buildings. A statue of Stanisław Konarski, unveiled in 1989, by Kazimierz Mierczyński is standing in front of the building of the former college, now I LO. The buildings on the west side of the street, from Farny Square, are opened by a corner tenement house No. 2 built around 1840, which once housed the printing house and the first Andrzej Pelar bookstore in Rzeszów. Further, behind the branch of Jagiellońska Street, there are two stately Art Nouveau tenement houses.
The conventuals (black friars) settled in Poznań in the 17th c. The church was commissioned from Jan Koński and built atop Castle Hill (presently Przemysł Hill) in the years 1674-1757. The monastery was erected in the years 1672-1749 east of the church but it was partly dismantled after the suppression of the order in 1834; only the north part survived to the present day.
It’s Poland’s Westminster Cathedral, the absolute focal point of the country’s religious history, crowning place of kings and queens and architectural overseer of the famous Cracovian gothic skyline. Wawel Cathedral sits in the heart of the royal palace and castle complex that dominates the hill of the same name, on the south side of Krakow’s old town.
This is where the action happens, so to speak. All year round, the cobbled, pedestrian surface of Floriańska Street is the théâtre de l’action of the city, and the venae cavae to Kraków’s massive central square. It’s something of a modern stage for the unending drama of the city’s Old Town, where the players are tourists and locals alike, and the set pieces are the magnificent medieval façades of some of the most prestigious buildings in the city.
Keeping watch over Europe’s second largest market square for the last seven centuries, the imposing Gothic spires of St. Mary’s Basilica have become a veritable symbol of Kraków itself and a focal point in the stories that make up the city’s mythic and historical past.
Covered Market was built in 1904, in neogothic-modernist style, designed by the architecture company Boswau and Knauer GmbH of Berlin. The main entrance with two towers and the city coat of arms is highly interesting.
The main attraction in Ostrava is the technical monuments, but the city does also have something to offer apart from this and you most certainly won’t be bored here. It is said of Stodolní that it never sleeps and if you visit this street, you certainly won’t be getting any sleep either.
Žebračka is an example of a floodplain forest, which has been preserved to the present as a type of hard meadow in the Bečva river basin. It has a size of 235ha and is located on the outskirts of Přerov. In this locality, the most typical wood species are oak, lettuce, hornbeam and ash. The northern part flows through the artificial canal Strhanec, which during its existence has gained a nature close to nature.
The Museum of Jan Amos Comenius in Přerov is the oldest museum of its kind in the world. Located in a Renaissance chateau, it presents collections of minerals, reconstructions of school classrooms from the 17th century up to the 1950s and ethnographic exhibitions of the Haná region.
You simply should not miss the Olomouc castle site situated on the Wenceslas Hill! Right here in 1306, the last Přemyslid, the Czech king Wenceslas III, was assassinated. You can admire the Bishop's Palace with its famous Romanesque windows, the gothic St. Wenceslas Cathedral, today the seat of the Archbishop of Olomouc, or the Archdiocesan Museum founded on the initiative of Pope John Paul II.
The Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc is the largest group of Baroque statues within a single sculptural monument in Central Europe.
The column reaches a height of 35 metres and its lower part houses a chapel. The sculptural decoration is made of 18 stone sculptures of saints, 12 light-bearers and 6 relief busts of the apostles. The column is dominated by gilded copper sculptures of the Holy Trinity on the top and the Assumption of the Virgin beneath it. The larger-than-life figures are enveloped in light, airy drapery with lively expressions on their faces and corresponding gesticulations of their hands. The overall sculptural decoration has a natural and harmonious appearance without being exaggerated in the typically flamboyant and exaggerated Baroque mode.
Dub nad Moravou and the pilgrimage temple of the Purge of the Virgin Mary, which is dominated by the whole of Haná. The first mention of this Haná town is from 1141, when the settlement is mentioned as the property of the Olomouc capital church.
During the summer, Kroměříž is reminiscent of the Garden of Eden. The local gardens, which are included in the UNESCO world heritage list, represent a perfect symbiosis of light, plants, water, art and architecture. The Castle and Gardens are some of the most beautiful in Europe.
One of the many noteworthy places in Kroměříž is without a doubt the Archbishop´s Chateau, which boasts beautiful interiors – a picture gallery of first-rate works by European painters and a Rococo assembly hall.
Wrocław Afrykarium is the only theme oceanarium devoted solely to the African fauna. On average, 2.5 thousand people visit it on the weekdays.
The idea of Wrocław Afrykarium is to present the selected ecosystems of Africa, including: The Red Sea - the coral reef and the fish of the reef; The Red Sea beach - desert tortoises; The African Great Lakes (Tanganyika and Malawi) - about 50 various species of fish - cichlids; The Mozambique Channel - rays, hammerhead sharks, zebra sharks and many more.
Centennial Hall was recognised as one of the greatest architectonic achievements of the 20th century. It was designed to serve the citizens of Wrocław and the guests visiting the capital of Lower Silesia.
The Zoo in Wrocław was created in 1865 and had a dozen hectares of surface. Today on 33 ha live 10,000 animals.
Zoo in Wrocław is the oldest and the richest in fauna in Poland. It is possible to see the animals from every continent and environments, for example in Madagascar, Sahara or Europe Pavillons.
In the last few years many new enclosures have been built, for example for bears and wolves. There are also new animals, among which very rare species like okapi.
Wrocław Multimedia Fountain (Wrocławska Fontanna Multimedialna) is the biggest fountain in Poland and one of the biggest in Europe. It was initiated on 4th June 2009 on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the first free elections in the postwar Poland. Located in the beautiful Szczytnicki Park, near the Centennial Hall and Wrocław Congress Centre, attracts many Polish and foreign tourists.
It is one of the most popular places for walks. Apart from a few hundreds of original plants, trees, bushes and flowers, there are also Japanese buildings: the gate and the tea pavilion.
One of the attractions of the Garden is a pond with enormous carps and other species of fish. The Garden often hosts events like tea perking, concerts and open-air happenings.
The Japanese Garden was created in the beginning of the 20th century, on the occasion of the Global Exhibition in 1913. It was an initiative of count Fritz von Hochberg, who employed a Japanese gardener Mankichi Arai. After the Exhibition it was dismantled but the plants and the arrangement of alleys and the pond remained the same.
The idea of renewing the Japanese Garden in Wrocław appeared in the 90s. The reconstruction lasted three years, the specialists from Japan came to assist, but the Garden did not survived for long. Two months after the inauguration, the Garden was destroyed by the flood. 70% of the plants were lost. The next opening of the Japanese enclave took place in October 1999.
The park with an area exceeding one hundred hectares is outstretched between Różyckiego, Paderewskiego, Kopernika and Olszewskiego streets.
The first park in this place was established by L. Hohenlohe, the commander of the city garrison, in the area of the then-existing village of Szczytniki in the suburbs of Wrocław in 1783.
The park with an area of 16 hectares was maintained in English style, but it was heavily destroyed by Napoleon’s soldiers in 1806. In 1833, the recreational areas in this part of the city were enlarged – not only did the park become bigger, but also a racing track was created south of it and functioned there till the beginning of the 20th century. The current appearance and richness of Park Szczytnicki owes much to Peter Joseph Lenne – a royal gardener who arrived in Wrocław from Berlin. At the end of the 19th century, a dyke system was established. Later, at the turn of the 20th century and on the occasion of the Exhibition of the Century in 1913, Park Szczytnicki was enriched with objects that have remained interesting till today and are important points of sightseeing routes. In 1913, the wooden church of Jan Nepomucen was moved to Wrocław and established in the eastern part of the park. Built at the turn of the 17th century, the building had been previously located in Stare Koźle.
The painting present the Battle of Racławice in April 1794, in which Poles won over Russians. The monumental picture is 114m long and 15m high.
It was the idea of Jan Styka, a painter from Lvov, who invited among others Wojciech Kossak, Tadeusz Popiel, Teodor Axentowicz, Włodzimierz Tetmajer to work on the painting.
The work took 9 months to finish. A rotunda with Panorama of the Battle of Racławice (Panorama Racławicka), built in Stryjeński Park, became one of the attractions of Lvov.
The technology applied by the authors can be compared to the contemporary 3D technology. Special, panoramic perspective, lighting and scenography constructed in front of the picture make it look multidimensional.
During the visit, the viewers can listen to the history of the painting and the events presented in 16 languages (including Korean, Japanese, Croatian and Esperanto). For blind people there is an audio description available.
Surrounded by the river Oder, the old burgh, the origin of the city, has fantastic architecture. The greatest ones are the Gothic St. John Baptist cathedral, rebuilt after World War II and Holy Cross church.
Wratislavia is the largest fluvial passenger vessel in Poland. The middle deck contains a bar and a restaurant. The lower deck is a wedding and banquet hall, which serves as a bistro during cruises. At the top, there is an open solar deck with colourful pillows and sun loungers that provides complete relaxation and comfort. The Wratislavia vessel cuisine impresses above all with its sophisticated menu, including exquisite meats such as duck and guinea hen or excellent steaks served with original side dishes based on Polish vegetables, fruit and herbs. The comfort of our guests during cruises is guaranteed by our experienced crew, wonderful waiters and bartenders, and the best cooks.
Wrocław Puppet Theatre presents adaptations of children literature (Astrid Lindgren’s “Och, Emil”, Piotr Jerszow’s “Konik Garbusek”) and classic fairy tales - Beauty and the Beast, Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Puss in Boots. But the Theatre plays not only classics - the latest premieres were mainly original spectacles based on contemporary plays, written especially for Wrocław Puppet Theatre. These are new, highly educational plays, which cross the borders of a regular puppet theatre.
Old Town Hall is a unique Gothic building in European architecture. It has 2 storeys, 3 parts with a rectangular building of the councils, which is attached to the northern wall and a square tower. Located in the city centre, it was being built for about 250 years (13 - 16th century). It used to serve as the seat of the city authorities and the court.
The oldest part of the Town Hall was built ca. 1299 (according to the sources). This part is called consistorium (Latin: place of gatherings) and now belongs to the building. The consistorium has two parts: the underground hall covered with the ceiling and the Western tower. After buying the rights of the voyt, the meaning of the Council was much bigger. The growing number of the Council members demanded a new building. In the years 1328-1333, near the consistorium a new, smaller building was built - praetorium (Latin: the seat of the leaders). The building is the northern part of the Town Hall, near the square with the whipping post.
Since the very beginning the Town Hall has witnessed many important historical events and has been a representative building where the authorities invited their honourable guests. This tradition is still alive. The most important world leaders, monarchs, clergy and artists have been invited into the Town Hall. In the cellar of the building there is one of the oldest restaurants in Europe - the legendary Piwnica Świdnicka.
Rynek of Wrocław has 3.8ha of surface and belongs to the biggest market places in Poland (the bigger ones are in Kraków and Olecko). However, the Late Gothic Town Hall with its 66m tower is the biggest building of this kind in Poland.
From 2009 the palace is the main building of the City Museum of Wrocław and presents, among others the exhibition “1000 years of Wrocław”.
The Royal Palace (Pałac Królewski) was called Spaetgen’s Palace, from the name of one of the first owners. In 1717 baron Heinrich G. Spaetgen bought a small baroque mansion close to Rynek. After his death in 1750, a Prussian King Frederick II bought the palace. It became a royal mansion, and Wrocław joined Berlin and Königsberg (today’s Kaliningrad) as a residence city.
The next Prussian kings extended the palace, changed its design and character. In the middle of the 19th century the palace extended itself from Wolności Square to Kazimierza Wielkiego Street. After the fall of the empire the palace was taken by the city authorities, in the 20s the Palace Museum was opened. During World War II the building was seriously damaged.
The largest and most beautiful karst area in central Europe is a place where visitors have their breath taken clean away. The main attraction here is the famous Macocha Abyss, some 138m deep and steeped in terrifying myths and legends. Without doubt the Moravian Karst is one of the natural wonders of the Czech Republic, which will wow every visitor.
Villa Tugendhat has borne witness to the birth of modern housing and also to the tragic fate of the people who lived there. This work by the famous German architect Mies van der Rohe is to this very day regarded as one of the four most important villas in the world. Thanks to its values, this gem of modern architecture has also been included in the UNESCO world heritage list.
Lužánky Park was established in 1786 as one of the first public parks in Central Europe. In the middle of the park, you can visit the Renaissance Revival pavilion from 1855 by Viennese architect Ludwig Förster, which has held balls, concerts, celebrations, and various expositions over the years. Today, the building goes by the name Kasino and serves mainly as a leisure-time centre for children.
The park as we know it was created in 1840 by city gardener Antonín Šebánek. In addition to the park’s precious trees, visitors may enjoy watching colourful fish in the stream and cute piglets – a favourite attraction for the park’s youngest visitors. There’s also a playground for children to enjoy and get some energy out.
Lužánky is an ideal place for sporting as well as social activities, as locals come here to jog, play tennis, pétanque, and volleyball, exercise in an outdoor gym, or get a bite to eat at one of a number of nearby restaurants. Visitors can also use a public grill for barbecuing.