This large Botanical Garden of approximately two hectares, It is named after the illustrious Doctor Martin Cardenas, Cochabamba, who devoted much of his life to the study of Botany on the flora of Bolivia traveling throughout the country. The garden has the purpose of contribute to the conservation of those resources plant of the region, conducting scientific research and teaching through its facilities on areas of Botany and the environment.
The garden has various sections like the area of Cactus, Bromeliads, Amarilis, Arboretum with species native and exotic. There are also sections of medicinal plants and nursery. There is also the herbal forest national "Martín Cárdenas", created in 1976 and that account with approximately 40,000 species of all Bolivia at the facilities of the Universidad Mayor de San Simón, In addition to a library specialized in themes of Botany.
The garden paths allow you to discover different species shown comfortably, In addition to recreation areas to enjoy nature and a relaxing walk.
The great La Cancha market is one of the largest popular markets of Latin America. In it can be found from vegetables and fruits to the latest in technology as televisions plasma or last generation computers. The Court, It's really an area that includes several markets, fairs, shops and places of ambulatory sale, located in the southern part of the city, close to the old railway station and a few blocks from the Bus Terminal.
Fairs and markets in the city system was precisely born here, When the agrarian reform allowed farmers, with the passing of the years, become merchants. It is estimated that in the city there are more than 100 thousand merchants with mobile and fixed posts and in the majority of cases develop its commercial activity on the Court.
The so-called Cristo de La Concordia is a colossal statue located in the city of Cochabamba- Bolivia, Since the year 1987 It is part of the tourist attraction of the city. The image is considered to be the world's largest Jesus statue. Given its dimensions, the image is visible from almost anywhere in the city. The dimension of the body of the statue from the feet to the top of the head is of 34 meters. The circular base or pedestal measures 6 meters. In total the Colossus overcomes them 40 meters.
The view at the top is incredible beauty to see the panorama of the city of Cochabamba in all its glory, overlooking the laguna Alalay to the South side and to the back of the statue, Sacaba municipality.
At the top of the hill there is a viewpoint and various services that are offered to travelers as taking pictures, display with larga-vistas, Kiosk, meals, etc.
At the base of the Christ is a small museum that displays exhibition of photos and characteristics of the work environments. From here also begin the stairs that spiral as a fairly narrow, They allow to climb level by level to the interior of the statue up to the height of arms. The interior of the statue are small windows from which you can see the city from the top and taking pictures.
Sucre is home to one of the largest collections of dinosaur footprints in the world. The footprints (over 5000 of them) are set into a the Cal Orck’o cliff, just 5kms from the city center. Discovered on the grounds of the local cement company, Fancesa, the footprints have been turned into a major tourist attraction with the creation of a dinosaur-themed park which includes a museum dedicated to the findings, and a collection of life-size dinosaur sculptures including the enormous titanosaurus. Called Parque Cretácico, the park can easily be visited in a couple of hours and is a must for any visit to Sucre. Because let’s face it – dinosaurs are awesome.
As the seat of the Roman Catholic Church in Bolivia, the Metropolitan Cathedral of Sucre (or Catedral Metropolitana) is of great importance to the deeply religious city. Construction started on what was then the Cathedral Church of La Plata on June 27, 1552. Works would not fully complete until 260 years later, in 1712. What began as a Renaissance design gradually evolved, during this time, to include baroque and mestizo baroque features.
Inside, the expansive white nave is beautifully lit by the sunlight which filters through the many stained glass windows. It is decorated with crystal chandeliers and embellishments in gold and Potosi silver. The walls are lined with large oil paintings, by the artist Montufar, depicting the martyrdom of the apostles. The pews are hand-carved, as are the choir chairs which are additionally brightly-painted and finished in velvet. The white, gold-trimmed, pulpit features an angel in old-fashioned Spanish military clothing. The altar is crowned by a silver crucifix known as the Cross of Carabuco.
The Museo Universitario Charcas is located in a 17th century mansion and is owned and operated by the Universidad San Francisco Xavier. Museo Universitario Charcas comprises three separate museums: the Anthropological Museum, the Colonial Museum, and the Gallery of Contemporary Art.
The anthropological museum was established in 1944. It is responsible for collating and preserving the region’s anthropological data, and has items from 3,600 years ago right up to the beginning of the Spanish colonization of the area. The museum exhibits include mummified human remains dating from 700-800 AD, and the highly detailed pottery work of the Yampara culture.
The colonial museum houses hundreds of artifacts from Sucre’s colonial times, including religious artifacts, paintings and objects fashioned from Potosi silver. One of the most noteworthy works is Melchor Pérez Holguín’s, San Juan de Dios, with its exceedingly accurate depiction of human hands.
Sucre’s museum of modern art, the gallery of contemporary art, exhibits works by local artists, many of which focus on the hardships faced by the indigenous population, particularly those working in the mines of Potosi.
The Arequipa Peru Temple site is located just three miles north of the city center near the entrance to the quiet village of Carmen Alto. The land stands on a bluff rising from the Chili River and surrounded by breathtaking pastures and mountain views including the prominent volcano Misti.
Built in 1580 and eventually expanded to include cloisters, plazas, streets, tiled roofs, and cobblestone paving, this walled citadel served as a totally enclosed convent for nuns from the city's most distinguished families.
A must-see for tourists following the “Inca trail”; this is an oasis of shade in the middle of the desert. Inhabited by communities from Atacama, its easy-going pace is only interrupted by religious festivities which, depending on the patron saint, include confetti, flour or algarrobo drinks (fermented drink made from the pods and seeds of the algarrobo tree).
Try the typical food of the north and don’t forget to visit the San Francisco Church, built in the 1600s. It is the oldest church in Chile and was built using millennial indigenous techniques. Go in and marvel: it is made out of mud and cactus wood.
Founded by Belgian priest Gustavo Le Paige, the Archaeological Museum that takes his name shows the evolution of the atacameñan culture throughout more than eleven thousand years, through a valuable collection of Andean archaeology that it includes, among other things, pieces of ceramics, clothes, utensils, and mummies, being famous the old atacameñan mummy found in the desert and baptized like Miss Chile.
The history of the museum goes back to 1955 when Le Paige takes root in San Pedro by its church work and, in a parallel way, dedicates to the study of the atacameñan past. Crossing villages and cemeteries he manages to collect the material that is kept in the parochial house. With the aid of the local population, the priest reunites the materials and initiates the construction of a place where to expose the pieces and soon he obtains the support of the Catholic University of the North, then pertaining to the Jesuita order, to qualify the museum.
In 1957 the first museum is inaugurated, which contained numerous Hispanic pieces (ceramics, textile, metals) and atacameñas mummies.
In 1963, with the support of the Catholic University of the North, it inaugurates the first pavilion of the present museum, located in the center of San Pedro de Atacama. This museum counts with a collection of approximately 380,000 pieces found in the atacameñan territory, that correspond to the period from the origins of the San Pedro culture to the arrival of the Spanish.
Get up before dawn to enjoy the show just as the sun rises, with the craters of El Tatio as the main attraction. Located 4,200 meters above sea level, its fumaroles (smoke from the geysers) create amazing white steam columns which are at their best between 6 and 7 in the morning.
On your morning outing see how the local endemic wildlife (viscachas, vicunas, nandues) and other birds leave their hiding spots, looking for their breakfast among the yaretas (fern like plants) and giant cacti. Tired? Finish your day in the healing hot springs that the destination offers.
The peculiar rocky formations and dunes of Moon Valley (Valle de la Luna) and the changing colours of Mars Valley (Valle de Marte) and the Salt Mountains are an attraction that you can’t miss while visiting the Atacama Desert. At night, both places become the most romantic spot for stargazing.
Found just a few minutes from San Pedro de Atacama, you can get to these mystical settings on bike, trek around them and enjoy sandboarding on the dunes. Visit them and appreciate the overwhelming shadows that the desert displays.
Tulor Village was an important city circa 2800 b.C. with 200 inhabitants. Today, it´s a museum that seems to have been burried under the sand, right in the middle of the desert. The new town features houses built with mud, just like the first inhabitants used to build their homes, surrounded by walls that worked as protection. The constructions reach the 2 meters high and most of them have balconies.
In the enormity of the desert, you’ll find lagoons, salt flats, and mountains that are intertwined with the landscape. Together they create magical sights!
The Los Flamencos National Reserve invites you to enjoy the beauty of the landscape around it. The diverse climatic conditions of its seven areas will surprise you as you become one with your surroundings. You can see its variety of flora and fauna where flamingos take center stage.
Walk along the trails around the spectacular altiplanic lagoons, discover the Chaxa Tourist Center and see how the sun sets behind Moon Valley (Valle de la Luna).
Center-stage of many surprises, the 3,000 square kilometer salt lake is an unbeatable sight. Home to Andean birds and a large lithium reserve, its thick crust forms heaps that crackle at sundown when temperatures drop quickly.
The Atacama Salt Flat is one of the main attractions of the Los Flamencos National Reserve. Be amazed by the large number of long-legged birds that nest and feed in its “watery eyes”, like those of the Chaxa Lagoon. Keep your eyes wide open to try to spot the differences between the Andean, Chilean and James flamingos.
Have you ever though of living on a middle of the lake? The Uros people of Lake Titicaca have achieved just that at 3,810 metres above sea level! They created their own floating island from local reed to house their villages. They fish and travel by boat from one island to another.
You can visit the islands with a tour and see how the people of Uros live or book a homestay with a local Uros family to fully experience their way of life.
Machu Picchu is an Incan city surrounded by temples, terraces and water channels, built on a mountaintop. It was built with huge blocks of stone joined to each other without any mortar. Today it has been designated cultural heritage of humanity in recognition of its political, religious and administrative importance during the age of the Incas.
Machu Picchu means Old Mountain, taking its name from the location of the Incan citadel. According to historians, the architectural complex was built in the 15th century, approximately, by the Inca Pachacutec. Machu Picchu was linked to the entire Inca Empire via the Qhapaq Ñan, the famous roads of the Incas. The citadel is divided into two areas: the agricultural area consisting of the terraces, and the urban section, which served administrative purposes. The average altitude of the citadel is 8047 feet above sea level. Its exact location is in the Machu Picchu district, province of Urubamba, 70 miles northeast of the city of Cusco.
The mountains of Wayna Picchu and Machu Picchu are perfect for taking panoramic photos of the entire architectural complex.
The Cathedral of Lima in the city’s historic centre is Lima’s most iconic building and home to the best museum of religious art. It is also known for being home to the tomb of Spanish conquistador, Francisco Pizarro. The main church of Peru dates back to 1535 when Francisco Pizarro first laid the foundation for the church which would serve the new Spanish colonists. The temple was inaugurated in 1540 and elevated to the status of cathedral in 1541 when the Lima diocese was formed.
The new design included the two neoclassical bell towers the structure is recognized by and the main altar. Other renovations came in the 19th century and after the earthquake of 1940.
The Cathedral of Lima was visited by four saints of the colonial era including Santa Rosa de Lima, San Martin de Porres, San Juan Macias and San Francisco Solano. In 1985 Pope John Paul II visited in a historic first, and he returned in 1988.
With all the phases of construction led to a mix of architectural styles, as in most of Lima, including neoclassical, baroque and gothic.
The government palace in Lima exists since the year the city was founded in 1535, but in different forms. It was built in a Huaca, a sanctuary of the chief Taulichusco in the Rímac Valley. This valley was one of the few places that, due to the irrigation systems of the indigenous population, is very fertile and, therefore, suitable for a larger population. Over the centuries, the government palace in the “City of Kings” was rebuilt again and again. The first building, a two-story adobe building, was built by the city’s founder, Francisco Pizarro, first for him. After Peru became a viceroyalty in 1542, the “Casa de Pizarro” became a government palace. Pizarro’s shield still adorns the main portal. The current building dates back to the 1930s and is preserved in a colonial style, but it has older and newer elements, typical of the representative buildings of Peru, which have been regularly damaged by earthquakes and renovated in their respective architectural styles. The Government Palace is located in the Plaza Mayor, the main square of Lima. Share the exclusive place with, among other things, the cathedral and the episcopal palace. It is recognizable by the great Peruvian flag that blows over the portal and the intricately forged fence that surrounds the terrain.
The Plaza Mayor or Plaza de Armas (as it was known until 1990), is the oldest public place in Lima. In 1535 the conquistador Francisco Pizarro founded on the area of an existing indigenous settlement the city of Lima. He designed the main square in the central part of the future city Lima with all important institutions built around it.
On the north side of Plaza Mayor is the Palacio de Gobierno, the presidential residence and in colonial times the location of Francisco Pizarros house - later the Palace of the Viceroys. On the east side, you find flanked by the Archbishop's Palace the Cathedral of Lima. The Palacio Municipal is located on the west side of Plaza Mayor. Depending on their importance and rank wealthy and influential immigrants were allowed to build their mansions on properties near the Plaza Mayor. In colonial Lima, the main square was the economic centre of the city. The arcades in front of the main buildings, the small today called Pasaje Olaya and other adjoining streets were full of all sorts of shops. The plaza housed for a long time Limas big food market.
Located 187 kilometres to the Northwest of Mendoza city, on International route Nº 7. Nordic and alpine ski can be practiced as well as competitive skiing, ski games, snowboard, snow cat, extreme skiing, races and parallel ski.
At the resort, there are hotels, small hotels, apartments and apartment hotels. There is also a ski and snowboard school, nursery school, snow garden, equipment and clothing rental and gastronomic offer. There is also a permanent medical attention centre at the base where first aid and ambulatory treatments are done.
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Loreto is located opposite the Plaza Sarmiento, between Moreno and Lavalle streets. It is one of the oldest in the city and still retains its original architectural structure despite having undergone several modifications.
The original cathedral located in the Old Town was destroyed by an earthquake in 1861. Its replacement was planned for the New Town opposite the Plaza Independencia, but after construction began it had to be demolished, targeting the land to the construction of another building.
The idea was born with Mr. Francisco Rutini, Mr. Felipe Rutini’s oldest son, who in 1.945 wanted to open a museum where the most important elements of the history of wine in Mendoza could be shown. The museum is inside the winery ‘La Rural’ and has a great variety of machines, carriages, presses and other elements that contributed to the wine industry in Mendoza: 4.500 pieces, among which old presses, coopers’ tools, mud barrels from the colonial times, enology books and catalogs, laboratory elements, and half a hundred carriages outstand. These pieces were recovered from the warehouse of the winery ‘La Rural’ and the area of Maipu district.
Parties, Bohemian life, beaches, fun and more is what you’ll find in Reñaca during the summer months. Enjoy your day on the beautiful beaches, with outdoor activities and good restaurants for all tastes.
A special feature of the Paraná, one of the fastest running and longest rivers in the world, is that it runs between high cliffs. To the North of Rosario, upstream, the river opens up into a delta, reaching a width of up to fifty kilometers when it passes by the city.
Due to this characteristic of the river, hundreds of islands lie on its banks and enable visitors to enjoy large fine sandy beaches, thus offering a unique natural scenery for beholding or resting, and at the same time practice water sports along the channels.
Located on one of the borders of the Parque Independencia, on Pellegrini Avenue, the Juan B. Castagnino Museum of Fine Arts is the most important museological center in the heart of the country. Conceived in 1936 as one of the most modern buildings for its time, it has two stories with a total of 35 exhibition rooms.
In the inside, it treasures works from all times, origins and schools. The museum’s heritage consists in two permanent collections: European art, from the XV to the XX century and Argentinian Art, from their precursors to contemporary artists.
The city of Rosario was marked by a historical fact whose relevance transcended the local context, setting a landmark on national history: the hoisting of the National Flag created by Manuel Belgrano, on the cliffs of the Paraná River in February 27, 1872.
This significant event filled the people of Rosario with so much pride that they slogged away at raising a monument in commemoration of such episode.
Today, Rosario has the responsibility of showing the world the National Monument to the Flag, unique in its kind, planted on the historical cliffs of the Paraná, those which witnessed the birth of the colors of our motherland.
Mr. Gustavo Wulff, German saltpeter and coal trader, as well as maritime transporter, migrated to Chile in 1881. In 1904, he bought from Dr. Teodoro Von Schoeders 1,260m2 in front of Cerro Castillo (Castle Hill), in Viña del Mar where he had a house built and ready in 1908.
At the beginning of XIX century it was property of Juan Antonio de la Carrera and his wife. He sold these lands to the Portuguese Merchant Francisco Salvador Alvarez in 1840, and he built here his house.
Named one of the World’s Most Scenic Cemeteries by CNN, Santiago’s sprawling Cementerio General is definitely worth a visit. Spread over 210 acres (85 hectares) just North of the city center in the Recoleta neighborhood, this lavish and expansive cemetery is a history enthusiast and explorer’s dream.
Recently, Santiago Tourist was invited to take a tour with Turistik, a local tour company. They’re best known for their red, double-decker red buses and innovative hop on – hop off touristic route of Santiago.
An exemplar of street art in Santiago, the Museo a Cielo Abierto (the Open Air Museum), located in the neighborhood of San Miguel, features dozens of enormous murals and makes for a noteworthy visit for those seeking an artistic excursion.
The Cathedral of Brasilia was the first monument built in the city and its cornerstone was set in September 1958. The structure was completed by 1960, a time when only the circular area was visible, measuring 70 meters of diameter and working as foundation for 16 concrete columns weighing 90 tons.
The Cathedral was inaugurated in May 1970. Consecrated architect Oscar Niemeyer designed the church, as well as the Alvorada Palace, the National Congress, the Planalto Palace and the Federal Supreme Court buildings, among others.
The church has a peculiar beauty. Held by 16 arched pillars that form a thorn crown, the central nave is covered by an immense stained glass panel projected by Marianne Peretti, made out of glass fiber pieces in blue, green, white and brown.
Inside the church, three huge angel sculptures by Alfredo Ceschiatti float from the ceiling suspended by steel cables. The baptistery is covered in tiles painted by Athos Bulcão. The Via Sacra is a piece of work by Di Cavalcanti and the image of Our Lady Aparecida is a replica of the original, this one located in Aparecida, in the state of Sao Paulo.
Designed by Oscar Niemeyer and Lucio Costa, the Praça dos Três Poderes is one of Brasília’s main attractions and headquarters of the three powers of State: the Palácio do Planalto (Presidential Palace), the Supremo Tribunal Federal - STF (Supreme Court) and the Congresso Nacional (National Congress).
The Três Poderes cultural center, subject to the local Cultural Secretary, manages the activities of the three cultural spaces of the plaza. They are: the Museu Histórico da Cidade (the city’s historical museum that contains historical records on the city’s construction), the Espaço Lucio Costa (with an enormous scale model of Brasília) andthe Panteão da Pátria (with art works honoring national heroes).
At the Praça dos Três Poderes, you can also find monuments designed by renowned international artists such as Os Candangos, by Bruno Giorgi; A Justiça, by Alfredo Ceschiatti, located in front of the Supreme Court; O Pombal e a Pira da Pátria, by Niemeyer; and the Mastro da Bandeira, with the largest national flag in the world.
Open in 1961, the Chapada dos Veadeiros National Park in Alto Paraíso de Goiás, aims to protect a portion of the Brazilian Cerrado. In 2001, the Park was declared a Natural Heritage by Unesco. With almost 66 thousand hectares, it is home to beautiful waterfalls, natural pools and rock formations (some with more than a billion years). It is the brightest point seen from Earth’s orbit, according to Nasa, because of its quartz crystals.
Birds are always present: parakeets, toucans, macaws, among others. Wildlife includes armadillos, veados-campeiros, jaguars, among others, and, on the Park’s trails, you can find a diverse flora.
The Park’s main attractions are its waterfalls, such as the Prata and Santa Bárbara. The trails (Sete Quedas, dos Saltos, dos Cânions and da Seriema) also attract those who like to walk among nature. Each trail has different degrees of difficulty, ranging from 230 m (track with accessibility) to 23.5 Km.