Bydgoszcz Canal was built in the years 1773-1774 as a part of the international waterway E 70. It connects the Vistula River and the Odra River through their tributaries: the Brda River, the Notec River and the Warta River. The establishment of Bydgoszcz Canal has contributed to the dynamic development of the city.
In 2004, the Bydgoszcz Fara Church was raised to the rank of Cathedral of the Diocese of Bydgoszcz by the decree of Holy Father John Paul II. However, for many centuries and for dozens of generations of Bydgoszcz residents, it had been the only and most prominent municipal church.
The first Polish Museum of Waterworks located in Las Gdański water intake and Water Tower in Szwederowo district. The museum was established within the EU project "Environmental education based on historic buildings - pumps and water-tower", implemented under the Regional Operational Project for the years 2007 - 2013.
Provincial and Municipal Public Library in Bydgoszcz has in its collection approximately 520 thousand. volumes, and the special collections over eight thousand. manuscripts, documents, social, cartography, audio books and notes.
he Bazar building was erected in the years 1838-42 on the initiative of Karol Marcinkowski who contributed to the establishment of the Bazar Poznański joint stock company. The Neoclassical edifice faced Nowa Street (now I. Paderewskiego Street) which was marked out at the same time and the project was supervised by a local builder Antoni Krzyżanowski (following a design by Ernest Steudener).
The Botanical Gardens are a research and teaching division of Adam Mickiewicz University, considered to be one of the most modern and beautiful gardens of its type in Europe. Covering more than 22 hectars, it contains an imposing cillection of over 7,000 species and varietes of plants from almost every climate zone of vegetation around globe.
The Oborski Palace at 73 Legions Street - this palace houses the Regional Museum and Municipal Cultural Centre. In the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries it was a manor house built on the banks of the River Visloka following the demolishment of the renaissance knights’ castle belonging to the Gryf-Mielecki family.
Malbork castle was medieval Europe’s largest fortress. Picturesquely situated by the Nogat river, the three-castle complex was, for 150 years, the capital of the Teutonic state. The castle's origins date back to the second half of the 13th century. Beginning in 1309, Malbork was the seat of the grand masters of the Teutonic Order and the capital of one of medieval Europe's most powerful states. With a surface area of some 21 hectares, Malbork Castle is the largest Gothic castle complex in the world and a masterpiece of late-medieval fortification and residential architecture. In 1997 Malbork Castle was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
One of the castle's must-sees is the exhibition of Amber Contexts, looking at the gemstone from a variety of possible angles. Tree resin fossilised millions of years ago, amber reflects the complexity of nature. It can be regarded in a number of contexts, including a natural scientific and artistic one. It can also be looked at from a functional perspective. The Malbork amber collection has earned a reputation as one of the world's best and largest.
This is one of the oldest parks in Gdańsk, second largest after the Oliwa Park and located in a completely different part of the city than the first one. It is less known but as charming and worth seeing. In the park there are two ponds and the Park itself is surrounded with hills to which local legends are attached. In the Park we can admire ponds, waterfalls and beautiful alleys with interesting tree varieties. The linden alley and the view of weeping willow trees over the pond add to the charm of the place. Right by the Park there is a historic 19th century manor house. Recently a large playground for children was built in the nearby. That is why it is a place not only for walks but also a place to spend time with the whole family.
The Długa and Długi Targ Streets which are also known as Trakt Królewski (the Royal Route) rank among the most beautiful streets in Gdańsk. The wealthiest Gdańsk patricians used to live there and almost every tenement house has its own interesting history to tell.
Golden Gate is the must see during the visit to Gdansk. The virtues of Peace, Freedom, Wealth, Fame, Piety, Justice and Concord are depicted in allegorical statues adorning the balustrade of this gate overlooking ul. Długa. Designed by Flemish architect Abraham van den Blocke, it was built between 1642-44, later destroyed during WWII and not restored until 1997. An inscription on the gate reads, “Small states grow by concord, great ones fall by disagreement.” As you walk through the gate, you are now on ul. Długa (Long Street) - the heart of Gdańsk Old Town.
The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the largest brick church in the world, went through several stages of development over the period from 1343 to 1502. Its interior displays many exquisite pieces of Medieval and Baroque art, including the stone Pieta from about 1410, a copy of the Last Judgement by Hans Memling, the original canvas dating back to 1472, the astronomical clock built by Hans Düringer between 1464 and 1470 and the main altar put up between 1510 and 1517.
St. Mary's Cathedral (Katedra Niepokalanego Poczecia N.M.P) is a gothic church erected between 1300-1333. Initially serving as a Catholic church, the building was from the 16th century till the end of World War II a temple for the Protestant faith. Since 1945 it again is a Catholic house of worship.
The National Maritime Museum, considered to be one of the finest of its kind in Europe. Among the exhibits presented one can see: port navigation, techniques of reloading goods, what a merchant trading office and middle-class salon looked like, as well as the workshops of sailmakers, ship carpenters and ropemakers. The historic walls also conceal Poland’s only permanent exhibition of maritime paintings. The exhibition shows the history of diving and the most interesting archaeological sites in Poland and the world. It includes diving equipment: suits, devices and different types of diving bells that were used to explore the seabed. Some of the world’s most famous archaeological sites presented in the exhibition are shipwrecks from Homer’s epoch found off the coast of Turkey. The section devoted to underwater archaeology in Poland presents the largest achievements of the National Maritime Museum’s research team - “Miedziowca” a merchant ship from the fifteenth century, exploration of the Swedish warship “Solena” from the seventeenth century and the English wreck from the eighteenth century “General Carlton of Withby”. The youngest branch of the museum - the Maritime Culture Centre located next to the Crane is the only educational facility in Poland and one of the most modern facilities in Europe, which in an interactive and multimedia way presents maritime issues. It is an exciting adventure in science!
Solidarności Square - the impressive rusty block resembles a ship’s hull. This characteristic expressive building covered with corten steel dominates the landscape of the former shipyard terrain. The European Solidarity Centre (ESC) is important institution on the freedom trail in a new, experimental form: it is not only a museum dedicated to the history of Solidarity and anti communist opposition in Poland and Europe, but also a centre of dialog in the modern world; a meeting place for people who are close to the values of liberty and democracy. The heart of ESC is a grand exhibition arranged which narrative allows everyone to find their own meaning and emotions. Visitors from Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Germany also find their piece of history in the centre. But ESC is also a library, reading room and archives. It is a centre for research, education and training as well as creative workshops for young people. There is also a place for younger visitors - the Playroom Department is a multimedia educational room for children.
A thick hemp rope, a system of blocks and two wooden turnstiles moved by... walking workers. The crane’s medieval mechanism lifting 4-ton loads to a height of 11 metres was also used to install masts. Located on the Motława River, Gdańsk’s most characteristic monument is the largest medieval port crane in Europe and at the same time a fortified water gate with two huge brick towers, once protecting the city from the side of the harbour. Now the majestic Crane, as a great example of historic port buildings, a witness of the powerful Hanseatic Gdańsk, called the granary of Europe, is the perfect setting for exhibitions of the National Maritime Museum. Its headquarters are also situated on the other side of the Motława River on Ołowianka Island.
The Gdańsk Oliwa Zoo is one of the largest zoos in Poland, an attractive place for recreation and education, visited annually by hundreds of thousands of tourists and residents.
Oliwa Zoo is a special place, where are animals from all continents living in the area of about 125 hectares. Among them are those whose populations in the wild no longer exist. Only here you can find bongo antelopes, saber oryxes, pygmy hippos or great, scavenging condors. It is believed that in several decades the Nile hippos, several species of rhinoceros, African elephants, some monkeys - e.g. small lori - and many beautiful species of birds will disappear from natural areas. Also the Zoo has in it collection such valuable animal specimens as maned wolves, great condors, penguins, or pygmy hippos.
Adam Mickiewicz Park also referred to as the Oliwa Park is one of the best known places in Gdańsk. The extraordinary location of the park, beautiful flora and small climatic paths of the Park create a unity that is irresistible. The park itself dates backs to the Cistercians who started a vegetable and herb garden by their monastery. Starting your stroll in the Park from the entrance at ul. Grunwaldzka following the longitudinal pond we can see the Botanic Garden created after World War II and where the visitors can also enter the enchanting Palm House. The main path of the Park, stretching from the entrance from ul. Opata Rybińskiego leads to the French part of the Park where you can see the Abbot Palace and further on the path leads to the Oliwa Cathedral. The Abbot Palace now houses a branch of the National Museum in Gdańsk, exhibiting contemporary art. In the Cathedral in the Oliwa Park one may listen to organ concerts and participate in the Organ Music Festival which is organised every summer. In the Park there are many sculptures to admire like: Exhibition of Contemporary Sculpture of Gdańsk, Swietopelk the Great and Mestwin II monuments and the bust of Adam Mickiewicz. The National Museum has another branch in the Oliwa Park - Branch of Ethnography located in the Abbot Granary. Now the Oliwa Park has been expanded with new gardens, e.g. a Japanese garden where you can have some rest during a steady walk and admire the beauty of one of the former city gardens in Gdańsk.
The monument was build to preserve the unique historical values, spatial tangible and intangible, symbolizing the heroism and bravery of Polish soldiers during the Second World War - the largest of the wars of the twentieth century.
The Polish Maritime Museum (Oddział Centralnego Muzeum Morskiego) is represented in Gdynia by the Dar Pomorza (Gift of Pomerania), a frigate dating back to 1909. The ship originally served as a training ship, and is now open to the public. Tours through the ship show visitors the twin decks, the engine room, sail store, officer's rooms, as well as the deck, the galley and the forecastle. The Dar Pomorze is also a frequent visitor to international tall ship shows.
The Gdynia Aquarium (Akwarium Gdyńskie) is home to more than thousand marine and terrestrial animals, and provides an amazing impression of the life in the world's seas and oceans. Some of its newest guests include the North Pacific Giant Octupos, the Zebra Shark and the Dwarf Crocodile.
The Sea Towers near the harbour of Gdynia are the tallest apartment buildings in Poland and the highest towers of the country outside Warsaw. Construction of the 141 tall towers started in 2006 and finished three years later. Most of the apartments are privately owned, but also visitors can rent via various organizations apartments with great views over Gdynia and the Baltic Sea.
The regional museum (Muzeum w Koszalinie) gives an overview of the history of Koszalin and its surrounding areas with the exhibition of archaeological findings, coin collections and historic pictures and artefacts. An annexe of the museum is situated in a nice villa at ul. Piłsudskiego.
The city government seats in a postmodern building at the Rynek that was constructed in the early sixties of the 20th century. It is the sixth Town Hall (Ratusz) of Koszalin. The last Town Hall was located on the southern side of the market place, but burnt down in March 1945.
Designed with the street leading to railway station (now al. Independence) in the 60s, it received its final form in 1894. Until the First World War there was a monument of the German Emperor William I. However, the statue was later seized for military purposes in 1917. In 1945, the monument of Gratitude to Soviet Soldiers was unveiled.
The oldest architectural monument in the city, dated to the 2nd half of the 14th century.The cathedral has a triple-nave hall arrangement with a separate presbytery. Inside there are a neo-Gothic alter, late Gothic sculptures of Saint Hedwig and Saint Anna Samotrzec, a Baroque choir and a series of stone slabs with epitaphs.
The main building of Art Nouveau architecture was established in 1909 as the parish house of the Evangelical community. After 1945 it belonged to the Catholic parish, and in 1960 it was adapted to the needs of Zielona Gora Symphony Orchestra, renamed the Philharmonic in 1974.
The POLIN Museum restores the memory of the rich, thousand-year shared history of two peoples: Poles and Jews. The interactive exposition will take you on an incredible journey across centuries. You’ll have the chance to walk the streets of a pre-war Jewish shtetl and discover how Polish and Jewish cultures have intermingled. The edifice of the museum is itself an architectural attraction and a landmark of modern Warsaw.
Before you start your tour, pay attention to the building itself, which conceals many symbols and meanings, for example: the main hall “cuts” the museum building from the underground to the roof, symbolising the crack in the history of Polish Jews caused by the Holocaust.
On the glass panes covering the façades is the Hebrew word Polin, which means “Poland” or “here you will rest”.
Then go on a journey through the centuries following the route designated by eight theme galleries. Antique objects, paintings, interactive exhibits, reconstructions and video projections will bring you closer to this fascinating history.
A unique place that helps visitors understand contemporary Warsaw. This interactive museum commemorates the largest underground combat operation in German-occupied Europe during World War II. The 1944 Warsaw Uprising changed forever the face of the Polish capital.
The multimedia exhibition reflects the atmosphere of the Uprising, shows not only the military history of the 63 days of fighting and the everyday life of the civilian population, but also describes the post-war communist terror. Strolling along the granite pavement among the rubble of the destroyed capital, you will listen to the stories of the insurgents and see original exhibits from the uprising. You will understand how soldiers moving through the sewers felt and you will see a birds-eye view of the flattened city in the film City of Ruins.
Warsaw’s Old Town (Stare Miasto) is the historical center of Warsaw and the oldest part of town dating back to the 13th century. Situated in the middle of the Old Town is the beautiful market square with its good variety of restaurants. The largest part of the Old Town was destroyed during the Second World War and was later reconstructed. The reconstruction was so precise that one can hardly tell if the the building survived the war or if it was rebuilt. This was honored by the UNESCO who in 1980 added the Warsaw Old Town to its list of World Heritage Sites. The Old Town is also a great place for purchasing souvenirs of Warsaw, as several souvenir stores are located here.
The Old Town is located close to most city hotels, you can find it in southern direction from the New Town and north of Krakowskie Przedmiescie (which begins at the Castle Square).
Former residence of Mazovian princes. Once the capital was moved to Warsaw from Krakow, the castle served as seat of the king and the government. Completely destroyed during World War II.
Built in the 15th century, this castle served as residence of Mazovian princes. Once the capital was moved to Warsaw from Krakow, the castle served as seat of the king and the government. The castle has been renovated repeatedly and destroyed completely during World War II. It was rebuilt between 1971-1988 using castle remains and rubble. Today, the segment with the clock tower opens the way to the Old Town. Museum attractions include two original Rembrandt paintings as well as works by Bernard Bellotto, aka Canaletto, court painter to Polish King Stanisław August Poniatowski. Canaletto's paintings were vital during Warsaw's post-war reconstruction.
Zachęta is one of the oldest showrooms in Poland. The impressive building was built between 1898-1900 and designed by Stefan Szyller. All the most outstanding Polish artists’ presented their works in Zachęta, including Wojciech Gerson, Jan Matejko, Józef Chełmoński, Józef Brandt, Stanisław Wyspiański, Józef Mehoffer and many others.
The highest and most recognisable building in Warsaw can be seen from almost every part of the capital. Where did it come from? It was opened in 1955 on the initiative of Joseph Stalin as a “gift of the Soviet people for the Poles”. Built by Russian workers, for a long time, it was considered to be a symbol of socialist power and the pride of People’s Poland – it was where conventions of the Polish United Workers’ Party took place. Since its very beginning, its monumental interiors have hosted numerous concerts, exhibitions, fairs and shows.
Currently, the palace is home to theatres, a cinema, museums, trendy pubs and the main Warsaw Tourist Information office. Go up to the observation deck on the 30th floor of the building and see the beautiful panorama of the city from a height of 114 metres.
Take a look at the socialist realist sculptures placed in the niches of the palace’s facade. Each symbolises a different field of science, art, technology or culture, for example a young man with a book of classical literature, a member of komsomol, an archer and a woman from Central Asia. In a direct line from the main entrance, you will find a stone honour tribune, from which the first secretaries of the Central Committee of the Polish communist party greeted those marching on the May Day parade.
It is difficult to imagine a panorama of Warsaw without the Vistula – the river has had a huge impact on the development of the city, and today offers tourists and locals countless attractions. A kilometres-long riverside promenade is a great place for a walk, a bike ride, as well as a night of fun in one of the seasonal clubs operating here. Along the boulevards are gazebos with sun loungers, stone benches and seats made from tree branches. There is also a lookout point and a mini beach with wicker baskets. In such a place, there has to be a place for the symbol of the river and Warsaw – the Mermaid. Stop at the monument and take a photo.
Young children will enjoy the water playground with “dancing” fountains and figures of fish as trampolines for jumping.
In the summer season, sail on the Vistula. You can choose from a motor boats, sail boats, ferries or kayaks.