active-pinPinned places
active-place

Ancona

Country: Italy
Population:100,982
Time Zone:UTC+2
unLikedSave it
Add a PlaceAdd a Place
unLiked
The Sanctuary of Loreto Holy House
Loreto, a small town of Ancona Province, is known all over the world for its Sanctuary that makes it one of the most important places of pilgrimage and pray for the Catholics, together with Medjugorje and Lourdes. The believers go to Loreto to give prays of devotion to the ruins of the Holy House where Jesus lived in Nazareth.
Have we missed one?
You can add a new place,
sight, landmark, attraction,
things to see
Add a Place
Explore more places related to this search:
unLiked
Tempio Malatestiano
The Tempio Malatestiano, or the church of San Francesco as it was correctly known up until the nineteenth century, is perhaps the most important monument in Rimini, and certainly one of the best preserved.
unLiked
Domus Del Chirurgo
In the heart of the modern city of Rimini you’ll find some of the best preserved domestic mosaics from the roman world – the so-called ‘Surgeon’s House’ (Domus Del Chirurgo).
unLiked
The Tiberius Bridge
il Ponte di Tiberio, was started during the reign of Augustus, as part of his extensive series of public works for Rimini, but takes its name from Tiberius, the Emporor under whose reign the bridge was finished. Built in seven years, between 14 and 21.AD.
unLiked
Cathedral of San Lorenzo
Built in the XV Century as a replacement for the earlier Romanesque cathedral, is situated in an area considered sacred since the archaic age, as testified in the several layers recently came to light.
unLiked
Fontana Maggiore
The Fontana Maggiore was created between 1278 and 1280 by Nicola and Giovanni Pisano to celebrate the completion of the new aqueduct. It was designed by Friar Bevignate, with the aid, for the hydraulic side, of Boninsegna from Venice.
unLiked
Galleria Nazionale of Umbria
The National Gallery of Umbria is organised following a chronological exhibition itinerary structured in 40 rooms on a total surface of 4.000 square meters. It houses one of the most complete collection of artworks in Italy dated between XIII and XIX Centuries, with works by Duccio di Boninsegna, Benedetto Bonfigli, Bartolomeo Caporali, Gentile da Fabriano, Beato Angelico, Benozzo Gozzoli, Piero della Francesca, Pintoricchio, Perugino, Orazio Gentileschi, Pietro da Cortona, Gian Lorenzo Bernini and others.
unLiked
Aquarium Pula
Aquarium Pula is the most visited public aquarium in Croatia whose mission is to show the beauty and diversity of the underwater world and emphasize the need for its protection. The aquarium itself is settled in a 130-year-old fort Verudela, part of the once-mighty Austro – Hungarian defence complex Fortress Pula, where the centennial military history of Pula is combined in a unique way with the richness of the Adriatic. Fort Verudela, named after the peninsula where it was built (3 km from the center of Pula), has been in a process of conversion into an aquarium since 2002. and is now home to some 200 animal species. Sharks, jellyfish and seahorses are the most sought after inhabitants, with the Marine turtle rescue center, our biggest contribution to marine conservation, as something not to be missed. The fort’s roof, besides offering a magnificent view of Pula and the sea, from 2017. displays a massive steel dome placed over the old artillery block. The dome represents the final stage of our project where we reconstructed the central part of the fort and added 3 new tanks (50 000 liters each), greatly expanding our display.
unLiked
Histria Beach
Histria Beach is located under the Hotel Park Plaza Histria on Verudela Peninsula in Pula. The beach is very popular and is partially made of stone while the other part is built from concrete. Because of the soft entrance and a terrace all the way to the sea, Histria Beach is very suitable for families with kids and older persons. By the beach, there is a small autochthonous holm oak woods suitable for leisure in the shades. The beach was awarded with a Blue Flag as an evidence of crystal clear sea and maintenance of the beach. Lifeguard service takes care of the security, and there is a safety barrier to protect the swimmers. You can rent sunbeds and parasols on the beach along with other equipment. There is a Beach Bar & Restaurant Yacht on the beach.
unLiked
Ambrela Beach
Ambrela Beach is located in small St John Cove, between Saccorgiana Beach and Hotel Brioni. It is covered in pebbles with boulders of rocks. On the side, it is surrounded by autochthonous holm oak trees. Ambrela Beach is very popular among the local population and guests. Because of the soft entrance to the sea, it is convenient for families with kids. In the vicinity of the beach, there is a restaurant and a Lounge Bar Ambrela after which the beach was named. You can rent sunbeds, parasols and pedal boats on the beach. In the cove, there is a safe net, and Lifeguard service also takes care of security. There are public showers, toilet and dressing rooms on the beach as well. Entrance is free along with free parking near the beach. Ambrela Beach has been awarded a Blue Flag.
unLiked
Valkane Beach
Valkane is the most notable and most furnished beach in Pula. It is located in Zelenika Cove in the western part of the town, at the beginning of Lungomare Boardwalk. Part of the beach is rocky and pebble and most parts are made of concrete. One part is adapted to disabled persons with special ramps for entering the sea. There are two bars on the beach: Valkane bar and Šumi more, where you can enjoy drinks next to the sea. At Valkane there is a playground for bocce and beach volleyball. Near the Sports Center Valkane, there are several tennis courts, a football field and Valter restaurant. Beach Valkane is awarded a Blue Flag which is given to beaches with lots of facilities and crystal clear sea. There is a lifeguard service on the beach which takes care of the security of the swimmers. Near the beach, there is a bus stop with a direct link to the city.
unLiked
Chapel of St. Maria Formosa
It is one of the two chapels built in the 6th century as part of a large Benedictine abbey demolished in the 16th century. The floor and walls were decorated with mosaics, some of which are now in the Archaeological Museum of Istria. It was built in the style of Ravenna churches, the only difference being the use of stone instead of brick. Due to its dimensions, method of construction and good state of preservation, the Chapel represents an extraordinary architectural masterpiece of its time.
unLiked
Arch of the Sergii
The “Golden Gate” was erected between the years 29 and 27 BC by the Sergi family, in honor of three members of the family who held important positions in Pula at that time. This triumphal arch leaned against the city gate Porta Aurea thus called because of its richly ornamented arch or gilded elements. The gate and wall were pulled down in the beginning of the 19th century as a result of the city expansion outside the city walls. The Arch was constructed in Corinthian style with strong Hellenistic and Asia Minor influences both in the method and ornaments. As the eastern side was not visible it has remained for the most part uncarved, while the western, town side is richly decorated. Today numerous cultural performances, theatrical and musical, are held on the square next to the Arch. The adjacent street is a shopping area.
unLiked
Temple of Augustus
The Temple, situated in the Forum, is dedicated to goddess Roma and Emperor Augustus. It was constructed between the year 2 BC and AD 14 when the Emperor died. According to its shape, it follows the typical pattern of temples. The function of the Temple changed through the years: with the ending of the pagan ancient era its original pagan function ceased and the temple was afterwards used as a church, granary, and at the beginning of the 19th century it was a museum for stone monuments. In 1944 it was hit by a bomb and completely destroyed. It was reconstructed between the years 1945 and 1947 and nowadays it houses a collection of ancient stone and bronze sculptures. The other twin temple, of which only the back wall is preserved, is believed to have been constructed at the same time and in the same style and was called the Temple of Diana.
unLiked
Roman Theater Pula
On the northeastern slopes of the central hill of the city, below the Castle are the remains of a Roman theater: in addition to the Amphitheater, Pula had two other theaters during the Roman period. The larger one, which has not been preserved, was situated outside the city, on the slopes of Zaro hill (Monte Zaro), south of the city walls. The other theater known as the Small Roman Theater was situated within the city walls. The remains of scene, semicircular orchestra and tired section for the audience have partly been reconstructed. Below the theater is the building of the one-time German Royal Gymnasium, which in 1930 became the Archaeological Museum of Istria. Today the museum displays a rich collection of prehistoric, classical and early medieval monuments found in Istria.
unLiked
Historical and Maritime Museum of Istria
At the highest hill in Pula, at an altitude of 32.4 m, between the sea and the hills Arena, Zaro and Sv. Mihovil, the adapted Venetian fortification, houses since 1961 the Historical Museum of Istria, founded as the Museum of the Revolution on December 31, 1955. The Historical Museum of Istria – Museo Storico dell’Istria carries out its activities as a public institution. Presently, it is a County institution that keeps part of the national and universal heritage, from the High Middle Ages until the recent history directly or indirectly presenting it to the public by means of permanent or temporary exhibitions or publications. The Museum has several departments – Department of the history of Pula, Department of medieval Istrian history and the Department of modern Istrian history with adjoining collections (Cultural-historic collection of urban life, Collection of old postcards and photographs, Collection of maritime history and shipbuilding, Collection of economic development, Cultural-historical collection of suburban life, Collection of insignia, diplomas, seals and coats-of-arms, Coin collection, Collection of arms, uniforms and military equipment, Collection of film and video recordings, Collection of memoirs and phonographic recordings, Collection of significant persons and the recently established Collection of old maps. In the rich museum holdings (over 40,000 artefacts), particularly important is the collection of old postcards, maps and the collection of arms, uniforms, military and maritime equipment.
unLiked
Gate of Hercules
It stands between two, most probably medieval towers, of simple construction built of uncarved stone blocks. At the top of the damaged arch, although hardly recognizable, is a carving of the head of Hercules and his club. Close to the club is a damaged inscription, most interesting in the historical context since it contains the names of two Roman officials, Lucius Calpurnius Piso and Gaius Cassius Longinus to whom the Roman Senate had entrusted the duty to found a Roman colony at the site of today’s Pula. Thus, between 47 and 44 BC Pula was founded as a settlement with urban features. Since the upper circular street passed though this gate, the axis of communication was obliquely placed with respect to the direction of the city walls.
unLiked
Archaeological Museum of Istria
By collecting stone monuments in the Temple of Augustus in 1802, marshal Marmont began the founding of the museum collection in Pula. However, the discovery of stone, ceramic and metal objects in Nesactium was the basis for founding the Museo Civico (City Museum) in Pula in 1902. After the seat of the “Società istriana di archeologia e storia patria” had been moved and with the transfer of the archaeological inventory from Poreč to Pula, the Museo Civico was integrated with the National collection (stone monuments) and the Poreč Regional Museum (Museo Provinciale) into one regional institution. Therefore, in 1925 the Museum of Istria (Il Regio Museo dell’Istria) was founded in the present-day museum building. In 1930 the museum opened its doors to visitors, and a guidebook in Italian was published. This exhibition, along with minor changes, was open for the public until the end of World War II, when many objects were transferred to Italy during the Anglo-American administration.
unLiked
Museum of Contemporary Art of Istria
The museum collects works of art created in the second half of last century until the latest work of recent artists. MCAI represents an open meeting place of multiculturalism and, above all, to be a leading cultural and art institution of Istrian artists.
unLiked
Arena Amphitheater
The most famous and important monument, the starting and ending point of every sightseeing tour is the Amphitheater, popularly called the Arena of Pula, which was once the site of gladiator fights. It was built in the 1st century AD during the reign of Emperor Vespasian, at the same time as the magnificent Colosseum in Rome. The ground plan is elliptical, the longer axis measuring about 130 m and the shorter one about 100 m. Gladiator fights took place in the central flat area called the arena, while the spectators could sit on the stone tiers or stand in the gallery. It is believed that the Amphitheater could seat about 20,000 spectators. Local limestone was used for its construction. In the Middle Ages, it was the site of knights tournaments and fairs. Today, it is the venue for many different events – Pula Film Festival, various concerts, opera, ballet, sports competitions… since its capacity is about 5000 spectators.
unLiked
Kornati National Park
Kornati National Park covers the major part of the Kornati water area and was proclaimed a national park in 1980 due to its exceptional landscape beauty, interesting geomorphology, well-indented coastline and a rich marine ecosystem. The Kornati Archipelago encompasses an area of about 320 km2. This most indented island ecosystem in the Adriatic Sea has 89 islands, islets and cliffs. It was named after the largest island of Kornati. Because of its uninhabitedness and wildness, intact nature and outstanding beauty, the Kornati are appealing to many tourists and important for the development of excursions, sports and nautical tourism.
unLiked
Brijuni Islands National Park
Brijuni Islands are situated near the city of Pula and represent the only National Park in Istria County. They were declared as National Park in 1983. With its 14 islands, 743,30 ha of area and water surface of 2652 ha (total area of 3395,00 ha), they represent the most indented and interesting islands in Istria. By arriving at Brijuni Islands and walking on its gentle paths, one can immediately notice why they deserved almost mythical status with its pleasant and mild climate. There is an important archaeological site on these islands in the northern Adriatic, and there is a rich cultural ancestry of the islands from the earliest to modern times.
unLiked
Sea Organ
Zadar has a unique combination of architecture and music, the wordly known Sea Organ. It is located next to the installation Greeting to the Sun, and it represents an organ whose sound is produced under the influence of the energy of the sea, rather waves and tides. The Sea Organ has been gently formed out of stone and returned to the sea. It stretches out on a surface of seventy meters of Zadar's coast, under which on the level of the lowest seated 35 pipes of different lengths, diameters and descent are installed. When the most beautiful sunset illuminates the waterfront, the play of light of the Greeting to the Sun accompanies the rhythm of waves and the sounds of the Sea Organ.
unLiked
The Greeting to the Sun
This new symbol of Zadar is located in the Zadar port on the western point of Zadar Peninsula. The Greeting to the Sun is overlooking the Zadar Channel, the islands and the widely known sunset. With this installation, Zadar has got a new tourist attraction. The modern installation Greeting to the Sun is made of 300 multilayer glass solar panels in the shape of a circle of a diameter of 22 meters. Throughout the day it collects the energy of the sun and transforms it into the electricity, which is consumed in and around the installation throughout the night. The Greeting to the Sun in the immediate proximity of the Sea Organ, the second modern intervention on Zadar's waterfront, and both of them brought Zadar to the front covers of all the world media.
unLiked
International Centre for Underwater Archeology
In the near future, the International Centre for Underwater Archeology Zadar will have a Museum of underwater archaeology that will be collecting, preserving, keeping, elaborating and exposing this attractive museum material. The International Centre for Underwater Archeology in Zadar has the status of a UNESCO centre of the second category, with the prospect of preservation and promotion of the underwater cultural heritage of Croatia, the Mediterranean and Europe. The centre has several departments – like the departments for education, conservation, restoration, presentation, underwater heritage and other- that are located at the spot of the former convent of Saint Nicholas where the remains of the medieval church of the same name can be found.
unLiked
Roman Forum Zadar
The forum in Zadar has been built by the first Roman emperor Gaius Julius Caesar Octavian of what the inscriptions in stone dating back to the 3rd century give evidence when the construction came to an end. It was once closed by a portico with galleries on the first floor, and under the portico there were shops. Since the first century B.C. the forum has been the main gathering place for Roman soldiers, religious people, bureaucrats of the Republic and later of the Empire, as also for traders and all Zadar citizens in ancient times. In the time of its full glory, the forum was surrounded from three sides by a magnificent portico. It is indispensable for a walk and also one of the symbols of the city.
unLiked
Church of St.Donat
Church of St.Donat is round pre-Romanesque church which was called the Church of the Holy Trinity until the 15th c., and from that time on carries the name of Saint Donat, by the bishop who had it built.
unLiked
Archaeological Museum Zadar
On the glass face of the Archeological Museum in Zadar, you can see the reflection of the Forum and Saint Donatus, with which the Museum is unbreakably connected. Since 1880 works of protection and restoration have been done in Saint-Donat with the idea to place the Archeological Museum in it. The Archeological Museum is the oldest museum in Zadar and the second oldest in Croatia. It was founded in 1832., and today it keeps more than 100.000 archaeological objects from all the cultural and historical periods from the Paleolithic to the end of 11th century. The museum has its journal and for almost 60 years in a preparatory workshop, it has been producing hand-made souvenirs- amphoras, recipients, fibulas (brooches), jewellery and other valuable museum material.
unLiked
Zadar City Museum
Zadar City Museum was founded in 1960 and in 1962 it was integrated into the National Museum Zadar under the name the Cultural-Historical Department. Zadar City Museum is located in the building which up to the time of Napoleon was the monastery of St. Krševan.
unLiked
Kalelarga
From the most ancient times in Zadar as the Via Magna, Strada Grande or Ruga Magistra, Kalelarga of Zadar is the main street of the city. For the inhabitants of Zadar, it is even more than that; it is the main urban artery, a cult space and the symbol of the city to which the most beautiful souvenirs are connected to. In Zadar, it is officially called Široka ulica (Wide Street) (Calle Larga, Kalelarga), and it was sung about in many songs like no other street or symbol of the city. It has its anthem, it is the place of every serious city gossip or news. On the Kalelarga and the neighbouring People's Square great sport successes of Zadar's clubs are awaited and celebrated, as with the first-morning coffee, former loves are gently mourned.
unLiked
Croatian National Theatre Zadar
The Croatian National Theatre has its ensemble that was founded 14 years ago when it starts with professional productions with Zadar acting forces. It has a prepaid and not prepaid programme as also the Zadar Theatre Summer. Croatian medieval liturgical dramas and liturgical games have been performed in Zadar already in the 11th century, so it is since then that begins the history of Croatian theatre. The first modern theatre dates back to the year 1783 (Nobile Teatro), while the New Theatre from the year 1865 was the most beautiful theatre building in Zadar. The first professional theatre from 1945 carries the name National theatre (Narodno kazalište), and today Croatian National Theatre (Hrvatsko narodno kazalište) Zadar. The total percentage of visits to its programmes is 85 per cent.
unLiked
Land Gate
The entrance to the Old Town is through the Land Gate (Kopnena vrata) at the south of the Old Town. The gate’s front is covered by a triumphal arch built in honour of commander Leonardo Foscolo, who was instrumental in the defence of Dalmatia during the 17th century.
unLiked
People's Square
Everything that ever mattered in Zadar, since the medieval period, happened or was heard of on the People's Square. It is the centre of urban life, a source that sucks you in with its energy and beauty, and then leaves the people passing-by to some of the other urban sensations. The People's Square in Zadar is the medieval Platea Magna, the centre of life and nowadays centre of town administration together with the City Loggia. From the People's square all the ways lead in all directions; to the Kalelarga, the Waterfront, the Five Wells Square or to the market and fish market. In The City Loggia on People's Square, that was built already in the 13th century, Zadar inhabitants have been gathering and have been discussing the most important city matters, while on the other side can be found the City Guard from the second half of the 16th century with a watch on a tower that has been in function incessantly since 1803.
unLiked
Rectors Palace
Historical sources mention Rector´s Palace in Zadar as soon as the 13th century. From that time until today the edifice has gone through many changes including the last reconstruction and the opening on February 10th 2017.